Forums > General Industry > learned my lesson?

Model

So Says Amara.

Baltimore, Maryland, US

ok let me preface this with - it is stupid to be upset. i know i'm not like, a top model. but there is this photographer who said he would help me out and he was so good (took all the pics in my profile), and i really started thinking like, wow maybe i could really do it? and i thought hmmmm maybe even though i'm 24 i will apply to be on america's next top model and everything! so then, all of a sudden this photographer starts hooking up with another model he had done some shoots with (who's 18, he is 31, and -was!- married. not anymore)... the next thing i know, he wont shoot with me anymore he only shoots with her. and NOW, today i found out that SHE is a flippin SEMI FINALIST or something, and might be on america's next top model! hahahahahahah... damn.

i'm a little upset because before he started diddling his model, we worked together pretty regularly. now, i dont even talk to him anymore because he pretty much started ignoring me and i'm like well shit, if i had hooked up with you would WE still be shooting?? hm.

i didnt apply to ANTM this season anyway so its my own fault about that. and i'm not mad at this girl, she's pretty nice. but i think its a little effed up, and i just had to vent...

*relate, relax, release!* words of wisdom from 'a different world,' haha

and well now that i have vented, i feel a little better. no use letting it get me all bummed out right?? anyway as bob dylan wisely put it, 'dont think twice, its alright.' 

have a good day MM smile

Aug 23 06 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

Use the energy you are getting from the "It could have been me" and focus on your work. You have a lovely look and I am sure many talented photographers  would love you in front of there lense.

Aug 23 06 11:49 am Link

Model

So Says Amara.

Baltimore, Maryland, US

good advice. yes, if i were to get bitter and dwell, i'd only be hurting myself! so, upward and onward...

Aug 23 06 11:52 am Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

You don't need that jerk. You have some decent pictures from him, but you can get better from photographers that don't care about getting laid by their models. Good luck! smile

Aug 23 06 11:53 am Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

after reading that rant,I wouldn't want to work with you either,where in all of this did this photographer or other model do anything wrong.He worked with you and you are pleased with what he did,what's the problem.He didn't pull anything unproffesional on you,he just started working with someone else,happens all the time.Who he works with is his business ,not yours.And did he try to come on to you ,doesn't sound like it from what you say,and how do you know he is diddling this other model.
   And what does he or her have to do with you go on some stupid TV show.Hey!grow up!!!!

Aug 23 06 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Robert NYC

New York, New York, US

Sorry to hear you got screwed (or didn't as it were). Reality is, that sort of things (favoritism for favors) happens in all sorts of situations - magazines, design, advertising, you name it. It's unprofessional, and sucks, but it happens.

Two things to remember from this -- he *did* like you as a subject, so you *do* have potential outside of his work.
Second and most importantly -- it wouldn't have helped your career (or his) if you were dating/sleeping with him instead of the other girl. First of all, *if* she's a finalist for ANTM, she did it within the confines of the game and her own talents and not because she was sleeping with him (more likely, he's sleeping with her because she's a finalist, etc). Second with this guy it sounds most likely even if you were sleeping with him, he'd have moved on to the other girl anyway.

There are a lot of jerks out there, but there are at least as many, or more, professionals who will work with you to encourage your career and your goals. Good luck!

Robert

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

well to be honest, if you were willing to travel to philly on a regular basis I'd love to have photo shoots with you on a regular basis just for fun.

I think you're an excellent model and even though you're only 5'7" you've been on my favorites list for months.

So, if you want some regular shoots, (no diddling... I have a girlfriend, and she's not the sharing type), and don't mind taking a drive or staying in a spare room for a weekend, I'm happy to help.

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I have no problems with dating a beautiful model if it would further my career smile

Aug 23 06 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

WOLF WILSON

Like James said...

Come to Philly, we would love to have ya.
How bout dinner and no diddling  smile

Aug 23 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Active Lifestyle Photo

Laguna Niguel, California, US

I'm trying to figure out what "lesson" you think you learned here. It almost sounds like you have regrets for not succumbing to this guy in order to advance your career. That's a dangerous mindset to adopt.

Honestly her leapfrogging you is 100% your fault, and it has nothing to do with him not shooting you anymore. You think only HIS photos could give you a chance at being a finalist? I highly doubt it. There are plenty of photogs out there... and shows like that are generally looking for people they can *transform* into a top model... so it's not even about having world class photos at the outset.

The reason she's a finalist and you're not is because you weren't proactive about getting your piece of the pie.

You're the only one who can drive your success. Your success should come from your talent, your looks, and your perseverance... not from how well you give... well you know.

Aug 23 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

e-string wrote:
You don't need that jerk. You have some decent pictures from him, but you can get better from photographers that don't care about getting laid by their models. Good luck! smile

AMEN!

Personally, I don't know why the original poster can be so hooked on this particular photographer.

I don't mean to sound cruel, condesending, or open a can of worms, but I'm wondering if the photographer was the only person in Amara's life that ever gave her a compliment?   The photos are far from 'pro quality', and although the model is attractive, the photographer failed to highlight any of her distinguishable features, but the model seems broken hearted that the guy that made her 'feel so good' is photographing another woman, and is involved in a relationship.

I don't know of ANY photographer or model on this website that will only limit themselves to shooting with one other person!  Not one!!!  Why should he?  Why should Amara?

As Ms. String said... (although it sounds so cliche) you don't need him, you can get better photos from other photographers... and believe it or not, if they know how to run a shoot properly, you'll end up feeling like a queen.

Aug 23 06 12:06 pm Link

Model

So Says Amara.

Baltimore, Maryland, US

stan wigmore photograph wrote:
after reading that rant,I wouldn't want to work with you either,where in all of this did this photographer or other llama do anything wrong.He worked with you and you are pleased with what he did,what's the problem.He didn't pull anything unproffesional on you,he just started working with someone else,happens all the time.Who he works with is his business ,not yours.And did he try to come on to you ,doesn't sound like it from what you say,and how do you know he is diddling this other llama.
   And what does he or her have to do with you go on some stupid TV show.Hey!grow up!!!!

haha ok ok lets not get all up in arms here, i understand that i shouldnt be too upset. thats why i started out with, "i know i shouldnt be upset." we were friends, he and i, thats how i knew the developments in the relationship. thats why i sucked a little harder that we werent just working together anymore, we werent talking anymore at all. i guess thats really what bugs me the most, the friend level i thought we had reached, i thought it was more than just a photographer/model relationship. i know i can get work with another photographer so that doesnt bug me.

Aug 23 06 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

You're 24?

Aug 23 06 12:20 pm Link

Model

So Says Amara.

Baltimore, Maryland, US

nah, my lesson wasnt 'do the photographer and get more jobs!' lol... i have a man, and a good one at that.

it's more, dont put all your eggs in one basket, and then count them all before they hatch. wait a second thats not how it goes. well you know what i mean :p

thanks for all the kind words, and the criticism as well, i knew i would get some from somewhere lol. and it helps put things in perspective. although i think i was trying to do that anyway maybe i just didnt say my stuff clearly enough. whateva! thanks again...

Aug 23 06 12:20 pm Link

Model

So Says Amara.

Baltimore, Maryland, US

C R Photography wrote:
You're 24?

yerp, 24... dont remind me! hahaha

Aug 23 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

lightswitch

Sacramento, California, US

seems like that photographer is losing out. i'd love to shoot you, but i'm afraid my longest lens is not long enough. unless you'd like to come to california smile

Aug 23 06 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

You fashion people are really wierd.

Aug 23 06 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

How's that?

Aug 23 06 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

You have some nice images, but you can tell that one photographer shot most of them.
I can't say they are good or bad, they just aren't my style. Find some other photographers and try some different looks.
The image in front of the quilt shows a beautiful face, most of your other shots are dark and moody. You can , and will do much better.

It sucks that what you thought was a friendship apparently wasn't so important to him-his loss.

Aug 23 06 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

James Jackson wrote:

How's that?

I honestly can't recall any scenario like this in fetish/bondage/nude ciricles...which is a much smaller arena than fashion.  I spent four days in Tampa two weeks ago in a a hotel full of models and photographers from all over the country and there was none of this sort of jealous drama.  And we're supposed to be the pervs and predators that "real" models are supposed to look out for.

I just don't get it...You guys are all so wierd.  Everything's complicated, everything's a problem, everything's an issue.  I honestly don't recall any fetish model going on a jealous rant like the OP.

Wierd.

Aug 23 06 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

Models/Women...pissed if you screw 'em, pissed if you don't.  It's a no win/no win situation.

Aug 23 06 08:10 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

SKPhoto wrote:
Models/Women...pissed if you screw 'em, pissed if you don't.  It's a no win/no win situation.

Is that kind of like a lose/lose situation? wink  lol

Aug 23 06 08:12 pm Link

Model

Vincent Vega

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Get another photographer...it's that simple.....

or you could still throw dishes at the T.V. whenever americas next top model comes on...

Pick one

Throw dishes

or

Get another great photographer...

Like a boyfriend and girlfriend relationship.."you can find someone better"

Aug 23 06 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

DFournier-Photography

Columbia, Maryland, US

DigitalSwede wrote:
Use the energy you are getting from the "It could have been me" and focus on your work. You have a lovely look and I am sure many talented photographers  would love you in front of there lense.

This is true...

Aug 23 06 08:40 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

SKPhoto wrote:

big_smile
--

Red Sky Photography wrote:
You have some nice images, but you can tell that one photographer shot most of them.
I can't say they are good or bad, they just aren't my style. Find some other photographers and try some different looks.
The image in front of the quilt shows a beautiful face, most of your other shots are dark and moody. You can , and will do much better.

It sucks that what you thought was a friendship apparently wasn't so important to him-his loss.

I personaly think that if one can tell that the images were shot by the same photographer - that would be a complement to him, since it would emphasize his ability to show a "singnature style" - other words, get others to see the picture the way he saw it.

As to friendship, it gives me a bit of bitter feeling, as I get a vibe of you using this photogropher for your prtflo only - that's clear.  That is not very nice of you, both; professionaly and personally.  Though I must admit you have a great quality for many people to gain - that is to be honest and to be able to understand why and what do you want.

Aug 23 06 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

fashion? what fashion? this is the wonderful world of internet glamour. the soaps got nuffin on this world.

Aug 23 06 09:23 pm Link