Forums > General Industry > Photographers and models. . .

Model

Meagan M Power

Denver, Colorado, US

You know those moments that everyone has, but no one really thinks about until they see the image and you want to scream, I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL.... In that .000 however many seconds that shutter is open, if the model and photographer have the chemistry to create a simple picture, and everyone can relate to it,  feel connected  to it , or feel as though the model is looking at you and only you from the picture, or out a window and you can tell she misses someone. . .. That is a true definition of the art of modeling, and it can be an art.  A good model will think and feel and replay past moments without thinking about the camera sitting there.  A good photographer will know how to set the lighting and angles and focus, and angles to accommodate the vibe.  Modeling is acting broken into stills.  I love photographers who direct.

I am new here, but I have honestly read a lot of posts from photographers on many pages, and I am saddened and disappointed at the way the photographers are viewing models.  It’s as if we are lesser.  I understand a lot of people are trying to model, but honestly, the good models who know what it takes and can bring personality to the pages and attract people, should be looked at like that.  It does take talent and I just don’t appreciate the negativity.   I could feel the rolling of eyes at the mention of model in so many posts.  It’s sad.  The stereotype for stupidity is terrible.  I, for one, have gone through differential equations, linear algebra, and quantum mechanics after acing quantum physics in college.  I am frustrated.  I apologize for the venting.  I respect the talent it takes to be able to capture that one shot in 500 that makes you stop and go WOW. . . Where the lighting hits just right, the background conveniently had something in it and it makes the shot.  I love it. 

For models, the best pictures come when you aren’t posing, but when the camera can see you thinking.  Not all, and I definitely catch myself with the pose and I have to readjust.  Just remember, Feel for photographers, Pose for paparazzi. ..  lol

Thanks all and have a wonderful evening.

Meagan

Aug 23 06 01:10 am Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

And the moral of the story is...? Not shure I get your point.
I do have to say you are the most attractive mechanic I have ever encountered.
My truck needs some work, too bad you are so far away.

P.S. It's not that models are inferior, it's just that photographers are superior *ha ha* just kidding!

Aug 23 06 01:20 am Link

Model

Meagan M Power

Denver, Colorado, US

Just venting frustrations, sharing feelings, and sayin the photography I like and my style and that stereotypes suck

Aug 23 06 01:22 am Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

Meagan M Power wrote:
Just venting frustrations, sharing feelings, and sayin the photography I like and my style and that stereotypes suck

O.K. I am with you on that.

Aug 23 06 01:24 am Link

Model

aon duine

Meagan M Power wrote:
Modeling is acting broken into stills.  I love photographers who direct.

You are 100% correct.

But 99% of models and photographers never figure that out.

Aug 23 06 01:31 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Meagan M Power wrote:
You know those moments that everyone has, but no one really thinks about until they see the image and you want to scream, I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL.... In that .000 however many seconds that shutter is open, if the model and photographer have the chemistry to create a simple picture, and everyone can relate to it,  feel connected  to it , or feel as though the model is looking at you and only you from the picture, or out a window and you can tell she misses someone. . .. That is a true definition of the art of modeling, and it can be an art.  A good model will think and feel and replay past moments without thinking about the camera sitting there.  A good photographer will know how to set the lighting and angles and focus, and angles to accommodate the vibe.  Modeling is acting broken into stills.  I love photographers who direct.

I am new here, but I have honestly read a lot of posts from photographers on many pages, and I am saddened and disappointed at the way the photographers are viewing models.  It’s as if we are lesser.  I understand a lot of people are trying to model, but honestly, the good models who know what it takes and can bring personality to the pages and attract people, should be looked at like that.  It does take talent and I just don’t appreciate the negativity.   I could feel the rolling of eyes at the mention of model in so many posts.  It’s sad.  The stereotype for stupidity is terrible.  I, for one, have gone through differential equations, linear algebra, and quantum mechanics after acing quantum physics in college.  I am frustrated.  I apologize for the venting.  I respect the talent it takes to be able to capture that one shot in 500 that makes you stop and go WOW. . . Where the lighting hits just right, the background conveniently had something in it and it makes the shot.  I love it. 

For models, the best pictures come when you aren’t posing, but when the camera can see you thinking.  Not all, and I definitely catch myself with the pose and I have to readjust.  Just remember, Feel for photographers, Pose for paparazzi. ..  lol

Meagan

Not all photographers are arrogant, and really very few see the models as being "less." I certainly don't; to me the model is a co-conspirator in the creative process. And ultimately, if it weren't for models I would be in big trouble ! Models, Makeup Artists, Stylists and Photographers all rock!

-P-

Aug 23 06 01:32 am Link

Photographer

LNV Innovations

Spring, Texas, US

As a photographer, I have the problem of viewing the model as a friend first model second. I have found it breaks the ice and keeps things light.

Whats the problem? I judge my work even harder.

Aug 23 06 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Paul Valach

Avondale, Arizona, US

I agree, the best pose is not posed. I wil often tell the model what to do..then after a while as she is getting into position, etc. the photo appears. The hardest part for a new model is that she needs to do something different after the shutter....not always but usually. I like the description that a photoshoot is a mini movie with many scenes.

Aug 23 06 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Lightwave Photography

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Meagan you have a great understanding of what it takes to be a good model but unfortunately that is rare for aspiring models.

Generally with newbie, aspiring type "models" on the internet it is unusual that they show up for appts much less on time and follow basic instructions.

It is even more rare that you find one that actually has studied modelling, acting and dance and almost unheard of for one to relate a philosophy on modelling like you have done(your post is the first Ive seen from a model with an actual philosophy on it).

I don't think the photographes on here think they are better than the models its just we get tired of dealing with wannabes who don't take it seriously and actually learn how to model(posing, expressions, look) which is quite common in cyberspace.

Aug 23 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Meagan M Power wrote:

Meagan

Meagan, don't forget that a lot of what is on the internet is D-R-A-M-A.   It's not real except for the passing emotion.

What IS real is the art and the true working relationships that some of us develop from networking on this and other sites.

There is a good deal of models trashing photographers, photographers trashing models, but most everyone kisses the makeup artists asses because they need them for the photos to look good.

You will find that certain models names come up consistently as to class acts.  New models would do well to emulate how these women and men conduct themselves.  The same is true with photographers and standards to emulate as well.

But some are not particularly serious about their respective craft and in place comes drama.  It's not just here, it's in life.

Don't let it affect you.

Aug 23 06 11:07 am Link