Forums > General Industry > NYC agencies

Model

Gingerwings

Baltimore, Maryland, US

So, I haven't been doing this very long.  I have shot with a number of professional photographers in the area as well as begun to gain some attention from local agencies, fashion clients, etc.  I am not a career model, I'm a student and I do this because I love it.  So, when I was at a jewelry ad shoot last night and the photographers I've known and trusted from day one said that I should go and try to get seen by a few agencies during my upcoming trip to NYC, I was kind of flattered, but also a little skeptical.  Understand I ask these questions to the forum before having discussed them with the group of mentoring photographers and members of the local business that I have come to respect.  But they're not here at the moment, and I am curious.

How does one go about setting up a meeting with an agency in NY?  Or a major agency in general?  This would be about 3 months from now...

Does anyone here think that this is even plausable for me?

I know a good deal of my work on her is casual/commercial, but I have more high fashion stuff that is in film and not yet uploaded.  It will be as soon as possible, in case anyone is curious.

I look forward to responses to my new little baby thread.  It's just starting out in this big message board world.  Give it a whirl.

Aug 22 06 06:04 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Just visit each agency's website. If they're looking for new talent, they'll have information on their site on how to get an appointment, attend an open call, or submit images. smile

Aug 22 06 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Most major agencies in NYC have an open call time. You don't need to call, you just show up at the day & time specified....

P.S. They don't care about your experience, your book, or what type of modeling you think you're right for.
All they care about is your look, stats, and if they think they can sell you...

Aug 22 06 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

Ok this is how you do it:  If you want to try your luck with the NBA like big league agencies, which I think you arent quite right for, then you can simply call the receptionist and ask when the open call days are and then show up and they will take a minute or two and check you out.  Then they give the girls a polite "Sorry" and hand you a list of about 25 other agencies addresses and telephone numbers, maybe 1 in 100 get asked to come again.

I dont see you as a fashion model but more as a commercial (advertising) model.

Gilla-Roos, FunnyFaceToday, Bella, Rick Miller, Lifestyle,Images are some good people.  Just look up their number and call the.... you got it receptionist- although with most of these agents they or another boker picks up the phone.

But if you arent living in the NYC area its a waste of time, NYC clients demand to see the talent in person and seldom books site unseen, especially if the booker cant say he knows you or sees you regularly.

hows that for info?

Oh and for comercial work/castings in NYC 1 in 20 castings look at your portfolio, they just shoot a snap shot and take your comp card.

So you only need about 5 good pics to work.

Mark

Aug 22 06 06:19 pm Link

Model

Tikal

Baltimore, Maryland, US

here are open calls like fords is the first like... the first wednesday around 4 and like elite is the 3rd thrusday... or something, double check those... wilhelmina was an open call too.

Aug 22 06 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Thorn Hill Studios

Springfield, Massachusetts, US

I don't know anything about what agencies want, or if they would sign you... but, obviously you're more editorial/commercial ... Ultimately, however, you're going to have to find out for yourself.  Go to the open calls and begin the process. With every no, you'll be one step closer to yes. Don't give up, you're off to a good start.

Aug 22 06 06:34 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

Visiting some agents might be a good learning experience for you, but I'm not sure how productive it would be beyond that. You have a really nice look, but at your height, there's unlikely to be any interest in signing you for fashion work, and commercial agencies are usually only interested in representing local models for a variety of logistical reasons (as someone else already mentioned).

That said, I do think you have a lot of potential as a commercial model. I would encourage you to approach some commercial agencies closer to home.

Aug 22 06 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:
Visiting some agents might be a good learning experience for you, but I'm not sure how productive it would be beyond that. You have a really nice look, but at your height, there's unlikely to be any interest in signing you for fashion work, and commercial agencies are usually only interested in representing local models for a variety logistical reasons (as someone else already mentioned).

That said, I do think you have a lot of potential as a commercial model. I would encourage you to approach some commercial agencies closer to home.

Exactly right.  Go to THE Agency in DC and perhaps Reinhard in Philly.  See if they are interested first.  If they are, and think you can work in New York, they will sponsor you into the larger NYC agencies.

As others have suggested, your look seems more commercial than "fashion".  Perhaps your other pictures will change that perception, but for now, commercial is where you ought to be heading - and that means agencies in your area, not in New York.

Aug 22 06 07:07 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

*Phew* You have to be nervous when TX posts immediately after you, epecially on a topic like this.

Aug 22 06 07:12 pm Link

Model

Gingerwings

Baltimore, Maryland, US

THE has a 5'9 or 5'10 cut off.  They sent me a sheet back with that circled on it.

Ever heard of Cima?

Aug 22 06 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Assuming you are really, no kidding, 5'7" tall, tell them you are 5'8".  If they really like what they see they will forgive you.  If they don't, it won't matter.

No, I don't know anything about Cima.

Aug 22 06 07:14 pm Link

Model

Gingerwings

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Gingerwings wrote:
THE has a 5'9 or 5'10 cut off.  They sent me a sheet back with that circled on it.

Ever heard of Cima?

Otherwise, thanks to everyone who has posted!  I am more just thinking it would be a cool experience while I am up there.  There is a photography convention that I am actually attending with an artist, random enough, and i thought it'd be something more to do.  Most of my new stuff is more high fashion, I can't wait to put it up(!), but I do know I am more commerical.  Whatever, I am not snobby about this business, as long as its legitimate work, I'm pretty much game.  I'd never heard of Reinhard.  I'll check into that. 
Yeah Cinnamon, I hear ya, TX has been following my posts around all day ;-)  Silly ole tag along..

Aug 22 06 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Los Angeles, California, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Assuming you are really, no kidding, 5'7" tall, tell them you are 5'8".  If they really like what they see they will forgive you.  If they don't, it won't matter.

What's this, TX suggesting a 'fudge' ???  Oh, I feel so abandoned now ..... tongue

bt

Aug 22 06 07:20 pm Link

Model

Gingerwings

Baltimore, Maryland, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Eh, I'll just wait til I grow.  I grew an inch in the last 6 months, and I'm supposed to be 5'9 when I am done based on that whole measure you when you're two and double it very precise algorithm. :-P

Aug 22 06 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

If you are serious about fashion you don't want to be waiting too long.  For commercial, though, age doesn't matter.

Aug 22 06 07:36 pm Link

Model

Gingerwings

Baltimore, Maryland, US

what was that movie where that guy broke his legs and set them with that big metal contraption to make himself taller?

...maybe i should do that smile

Aug 22 06 07:43 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Gingerwings wrote:
what was that movie where that guy broke his legs and set them with that big metal contraption to make himself taller?

...maybe i should do that smile

gattaca.

Aug 22 06 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

kensee

Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Aug 22 06 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Mark wrote:
Ok this is how you do it:  If you want to try your luck with the NBA like big league agencies, which I think you arent quite right for, then you can simply call the receptionist and ask when the open call days are and then show up and they will take a minute or two and check you out.  Then they give the girls a polite "Sorry" and hand you a list of about 25 other agencies addresses and telephone numbers, maybe 1 in 100 get asked to come again.

Gilla-Roos, FunnyFaceToday, Bella, Rick Miller, Lifestyle,Images are some good people.  Just look up their number and call the.... you got it receptionist- although with most of these agents they or another boker picks up the phone.

But if you arent living in the NYC area its a waste of time, NYC clients demand to see the talent in person and seldom books site unseen, especially if the booker cant say he knows you or sees you regularly.

hows that for info?

Oh and for comercial work/castings in NYC 1 in 20 castings look at your portfolio, they just shoot a snap shot and take your comp card.

Mark

Ginger...I agree with what Mark states and after reviewing your images I think on a professional note that you will have a very hard time reaching that level of modeling...I feel as Mark, and do suggest you look into the commercial market, regardless of your calculated  height.  Not being mean... but just knowing from experience.

with kindness,
PixelFisher

Aug 22 06 07:57 pm Link

Model

Gingerwings

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Mark wrote:

hows that for info?

Mark

Thank you for the names.  This is going to put me in the lame-o category big time but I didnt know there was a distinguishing between agencies that did fashion and agencies that were commercial.  I thought all agencies did both.  I will look these up.  You're very helpful! smile

Aug 22 06 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Those are all commercial print agencies.  I think you will find that few, or none, of them have open calls.  They want to see picture submissions, and call in those that they are interested in.

Aug 22 06 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Jonathan Bell

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

most to almost all fashion agencies will want a minimum of 5'9" for women.

Aug 22 06 08:24 pm Link

Model

Gingerwings

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Jonathan Bell wrote:
most to almost all fashion agencies will want a minimum of 5'9" for women.

Yeah, I know.  Hence the gattaca comment.  It was gattaca!  I wish I had a stuffed koala for you.. or maybe those pictures you're missing... I think we saw that in my film study class.  The image just stuck with me.  Wow.. I'm really happy someone had that reference.

Aug 22 06 09:18 pm Link