Forums > General Industry > Another model story....

Photographer

f4 Photo

Morristown, New Jersey, US

I see a new model in my state and I'm interested in working with her. Her portfolio is limited and what's there isn't good, but I think she has potential.

So I take one of the images in her portfolio and I retouch it for her. It looks 100x better and it shows I have some editing and retouching skills.

I send her email with a link to the retouched copy of her the shot and asking if she'd be interested in working with me. No answer of course, but what's new about that.

So I look at her portfolio again and sure enough, she's using the retouched image I sent her. I said she could, so that's not a problem, but still no email.

So I write to her again, Tell her I'm pleased to see she liked my retouching work and ask again if she'd like to work with me.

She reads my email but yet again decides it's not worth a response.

If anyone wants her name, I can't post it here, but maybe NJ photographers might like to get together and exchange a list of models who don't seem to be very interested in work and who probably aren't worth wasting time on. I have a pretty long list and it gets longer every week.

Aug 22 06 02:58 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

I was going to say that perhaps she was offended that you retouched the photo and sent it to her...her line of thinking simply being that you think you're better than what she already has.

But that whole theory falls apart when you say that she is using your image.

Then again, maybe she feels that if she works with you you'll be very directive and bossy since you clearly are fixing her work for her without her asking (she was probably ok with it until you showed her it could be better).

I don't get why she's using it and not contacting you...but how are you wording it to her? Are you saying: let's do some TFP...what type of work are you looking to do with her.

Suffice to say...her behavior confuses me.

-D

Aug 22 06 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

On another note, as a photographer, I'd be pretty irritated that 1) another photographer took it upon himself to retouch my images and 2) the model has the nerve to then use that image vs the original one that I gave her. 
You may think it looks better than the original image but bottom line is that you really don't have a right to do that.
As for your e-mails not being returned, that is fairly common rude behavior.  If you show interest the least they could do respond, good or bad. 
Show your editing/retouching talents by sending them one of your images "before and after."

Aug 22 06 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

f4 Photo

Well, then I'm not alone, since it also confuses me.

I don't recall exactly what I said in the email, but I'm not bossy or controlling. I just like to get the best out of images and I always optimize my images before sharing them with a model.

I'd have thought even a simple "Thanks" would be appropriate. If she doesn't like my work or wants someone to shoot things I don't (I don't do high fashion studio and runway work) or she doesn't take TFP/CD work she could just say that. I'd have thought most inexperienced models would do TFP/CD though, or at least not be offended by the suggestion! It's not like my portfolio and website are full of cheesy nudes.

Obviously not everyone will want to work with me, but ignoring email (and using the picture) does seem a bit unprofessional.

Oh well, it's not like models ignoring email is exactly a new experience. On to the next one...

As for the right to retouch someone else's work, I can certainly do that as long as I don't publish it (and I wouldn't do that). If the model has an agreement with her photographer that she won't retouch any images then she shouldn't publish them either. I've no idea what agreement she had with her photographer.

Aug 22 06 03:49 pm Link

Model

Gingerwings

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Yeah I have had photographers tear images off of my mayhem/OMP (the latter being a more impressive feat) and "edit" them then send me the "better" ones.  I wrote them back saying no thank you and please do not rip the images photographers take of me again.  Stick to editing your own work.  Isn't her using the ones you edited illegal somehow?  I dont know.. It just sounds like it could/should/would be.

Aug 22 06 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Aug 22 06 03:53 pm Link

Model

Tikal

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Gingerwings wrote:
Yeah I have had photographers tear images off of my mayhem/OMP (the latter being a more impressive feat) and "edit" them then send me the "better" ones.  I wrote them back saying no thank you and please do not rip the images photographers take of me again.  Stick to editing your own work.  Isn't her using the ones you edited illegal somehow?  I dont know.. It just sounds like it could/should/would be.

No not really... it being hard that it... you just press print screen which is above insert and it takes a copy of exactly what is on the screen then you put it in mspaint.. a windows standard, then you paste it and cut the image out and resize whatev... I didnt mean that to sound like i think you are dumb, so i hope it didnt come off that way but it you wantd to knw how to do it... and I dont see a problem retouching an image if A) the model took it herself (that happens alot here) or B) just to show your spin on it... it DOES seem rude though to make it like its not good enough already.. but doing it behind closed doors, like if someone repaints a picasso or copys a monet and hangs it in their home and shows a friend or two it doesnt hurt and both parties know you arent really the artist... the model posted the copy for the real thing and that is her fault.

Aug 22 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

f4 Photo

The point is that it wasn't some wierd photoshop composite image or amateurish attempt at "improving" a shot.

It was a professional retouching job that the model thought was good enough that she took down the original image and replaced it with the retouched version.

It's pretty obvious she wasn't offended by it!

Aug 22 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

f4 Photo wrote:
As for the right to retouch someone else's work, I can certainly do that as long as I don't publish it (and I wouldn't do that). If the model has an agreement with her photographer that she won't retouch any images then she shouldn't publish them either. I've no idea what agreement she had with her photographer.

Clearly the photo retouching police are not going to come along and arrest you for retouching someone else's images.  I just said you shouldn't.  It's professional courtesy to not screw with someone else's copyrighted images.  She shouldn't have used it either.  I understand you were just trying to be nice but it's not the best way to go about it.  I've come to the conclusion that when you offer someone something for nothing they don't see the value in it or appreciate it very much.  Oh well, sometimes we can't win.  Apparently there have been a few other posts about this since TX added a link.

Aug 22 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

TXPhotog wrote:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=70707

Good spot Rodger. 
By the way, wasn't it you who said that there was not a clear cut copyright infringement if the model did some modifications to the original shot as long as it was still obviously the same picture?
It's been a while so I could be incorrect.

Aug 22 06 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

markcomp wrote:

Good spot Rodger. 
By the way, wasn't it you who said that there was not a clear cut copyright infringement if the model did some modifications to the original shot as long as it was still obviously the same picture?
It's been a while so I could be incorrect.

Yes, it was me.  The issue isn't copyright infringement in any case.  Either she has the (limited) right to make copies or she doesn't, whether she edits pictures or not.  Rather, it was the "moral rights" that are at issue, and they don't apply to pictures used in advertising and self promotion (or most other pictures).

Aug 22 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Yes, it was me.  The issue isn't copyright infringement in any case.  Either she has the (limited) right to make copies or she doesn't, whether she edits pictures or not.  Rather, it was the "moral rights" that are at issue, and they don't apply to pictures used in advertising and self promotion (or most other pictures).

Well, I would have to side with her on this one.  I would be a little irked if a person did that to my work without asking first.

Aug 22 06 04:17 pm Link

Model

Gingerwings

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Tikal wrote:

No not really... it being hard that it... you just press print screen which is above insert and it takes a copy of exactly what is on the screen then you put it in mspaint.. a windows standard, then you paste it and cut the image out and resize whatev... I didnt mean that to sound like i think you are dumb, so i hope it didnt come off that way but it you wantd to knw how to do it... and I dont see a problem retouching an image if A) the model took it herself (that happens alot here) or B) just to show your spin on it... it DOES seem rude though to make it like its not good enough already.. but doing it behind closed doors, like if someone repaints a picasso or copys a monet and hangs it in their home and shows a friend or two it doesnt hurt and both parties know you arent really the artist... the model posted the copy for the real thing and that is her fault.

Yes, I know how to use print screen, however to get the file from the website you need to view source and know a little code, you can get the original files.  I was only really making reference to the rt. click lock on OMP.  If you know what you're doing, nothing on the computer is hard. :-)

Aug 22 06 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

f4 Photo wrote:
So I take one of the images in her portfolio and I retouch it for her. It looks 100x better and it shows I have some editing and retouching skills.

Holy cow.  I am truely amazed that you would take someone else's image and retouch it.    Did the photographer give you permission to retouch his/her image?

Also, even if the photographer did give you permission, why would sending a retouched version of someone else's work show this model that you are a PHOTOGRAPHER that she should consider working with?  If you want to demonstrate YOUR retouching skills, why not send the model an example of YOUR work that is unretouched and then retouched?  Why would you take someone ELSE's work to show this?  Why would you take an image in her portfolio that she must be proud of and essentially insult her by showing her how YOU could make some other guys work BETTER?  Does YOUR photography work not speak for itself?

Odd

Aug 22 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

f4 Photo

I don't need anyone's permission to retouch their work as long as I don't publish it. That much should be obvious.

There are professional retouchers who do nothing but retouch other people's work.

Why not use my own work - well, maybe it's so good it doesn't need to be retouched! On the other hand what would be more impressive to you as a client. An image of someone you don't know shot badly so I could demonstrate my "skills" or an image of you that someone else had (presumably) made as good as they could, which had been greatly improved by me?

I have 20 images here and more on my website if a model wants to see MY work.

It's up to the model to throw it away or to use it. If she choses to use it, it's she who needs permission from the photographer, not me. Often the permission to alter images (or have them altered) is implicit in a TFCD release. As a photographer I expect that any images I supply to a model might well be cropped, resized and/or otherwise manipulated before being posted on a website. They don't need to be retouched because I've already done that but if the model feels it's necessary then that's up to her.

Some models just don't seem to know what a good image looks like. They don't realize when photographers are giving them sub-standard images. If they did they wouldn't put them in their online portfolios. Maybe sometimes they need to be shown what a competent professional can do.

Aug 22 06 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

f4 Photo wrote:
I don't need anyone's permission to retouch their work as long as I don't publish it. That much should be obvious.

That's true, you don't.

f4 Photo wrote:
There are professional retouchers who do nothing but retouch other people's work.

That seems irrelevant to your discussion - they are hired to do that as part of a team.

f4 Photo wrote:
Why not use my own work - well, maybe it's so good it doesn't need to be retouched! On the other hand what would be more impressive to you as a client. An image of someone you don't know shot badly so I could demonstrate my "skills" or an image of you that someone else had (presumably) made as good as they could, which had been greatly improved by me?

My impression of what you did - you were showing off at the expense of another photographer.

f4 Photo wrote:
It's up to the model to throw it away or to use it. If she choses to use it, it's she who needs permission from the photographer, not me. Often the permission to alter images (or have them altered) is implicit in a TFCD release.

Nothing should be "implicit" if it's a competent release. The whole point of these documents is that they make everything explicit. Most releases I've seen have a statement about not altering images. I certainly don't want others modifying my art. But you're right, it is the models responsibility to clear it with the photographer of origin before posting it. It hinges on the agreement the two of them have.

f4 Photo wrote:
Some models just don't seem to know what a good image looks like.

Yeah, Ain't it the truth!

f4 Photo wrote:
They don't realize when photographers are giving them sub-standard images. If they did they wouldn't put them in their online portfolios.

Yeah, those darn models... they just don't get it.

f4 Photo wrote:
Maybe sometimes they need to be shown what a competent professional can do.

And you're the guy to do it.

And you do!

Aug 22 06 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoBob

San Antonio, Texas, US

You say "I send her email with a link to the retouched copy of her the shot and asking if she'd be interested in working with me. No answer of course, but what's new about that" 

Well guess what that means you published it.

Bingo...outta here.

Bob

Aug 22 06 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

First off, what were you trying to prove by downloading someone else's work (unsolicited), editing it and sending it back to the model?

If your work is so good, and I'm assuming that your work speaks for itself, why not just point her to your on-line portfolio and say "I'd like to help you out by bringing your images up to this level"?  What's the point of trying to belittle the work she already has?

Just my little opinion.

-PKD

Aug 22 06 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Stewart Photo

Houston, Texas, US

You seem pushy, like you are trying to force someone to shoot with you. What happened to people making a choice about what they want to do. So what if she didn't email you back, she has no obligation to email anything.

Aug 22 06 08:23 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I have been contemplating a trip to NY NJ later on this year, would you do me a favor OP & please and add me to your little list of models that you do not wish to work with. This may save us some confusion down the line.

Iona Lynn

Aug 22 06 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

f4 Photo wrote:

Certainly you can edit it. Whether you're permitted to copy it in order to edit it, however...

f4 Photo wrote:

Yes, and they get releases to do so. (Or at least I do, when it's not given me directly from the photographer.)

f4 Photo wrote:
Why not use my own work - well, maybe it's so good it doesn't need to be retouched!

Hmm.

f4 Photo wrote:
Some models just don't seem to know what a good image looks like. They don't realize when photographers are giving them sub-standard images. If they did they wouldn't put them in their online portfolios. Maybe sometimes they need to be shown what a competent professional can do.

Sometimes, they take an image that was acceptable for magazine publication (and was published), and "tweak" it to their taste, changing the image to something quite different than what the photographer intended, too. It still irks me when models or makeup artists do it to my work, bur rhat's a battle I generally don't find worth fighting over.

Aug 22 06 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

f4 Photo wrote:

Yup, your are correct.  But, did you get permission to COPY the image to your own web server then, PUBLISH it by sending the model a link to the image?  It is my understanding that courts are taking the position that displaying work on the internet is "publishing".  In your case, you copied the image and then displayed it on the web for COMMERCIAL GAIN (i.e. you used it to solicit business from the model). So, IMO not only did you copy it (unlawfully), publish it (without permission), you also used it in a commercial manner (which would further solidify the case for "publication"). If you wish to dispute that the image was "published and used commercially", fine -- that would be up to the judge.  But, can you defend your Copying of the image without permission?  How is it OK to COPY a copyrighted image without permission? 

f4 Photo wrote:

Yes, and they are explicitly granted permission to do so by the holder of the copyright or a person with a license that allows them to make modifications.  Did you seek and receive this permission before copying, editing, and publishing the image?

f4 Photo wrote:
I have 20 images here and more on my website if a model wants to see MY work.

True.  But, in addition, you wanted to show the model your "retouching" skills and she would not be able to see this from your finished portfolio.  So, again, why not just send her an unedited and then edited version of your OWN images?  Why copy and then publish (without permission) someone elses work?

f4photo wrote:
It's up to the model to throw it away or to use it. If she choses to use it, it's she who needs permission from the photographer, not me.

Wrong.  IMO, you copied the image and published it when you took if from her port, put it in the web and sent her a link to it.  When the google picture bot finds it on your webserver and creates a link to it do you think that the photographer will be happy that you copied the image without his permission? 

f4photo wrote:
Often the permission to alter images (or have them altered) is implicit in a TFCD release.

Again, wrong.  But, it really doesn't matter since you HAVE NO IDEA what the release for this image says.  The release MAY explicitly state that the model can "retouch to taste" by the model or anyone she chooses or, it may explicitly say that NO alterations can be made except by the photographer.  But, since you 1) did not seek permission and 2) copied the image without permission and 3) published the image without permission, you have no way of knowing what the release says.

I think that you have made a serious mistake here.  If the photographer sees the updated image in the models portfolio and IF he gets disturbed (he may not get disturbed -- it may not bother him/her at all) and asks the model "why did you edit the image"?  Her response will be "f4photo took it from my port unsolicited, edited it, put it on the web, and sent me a a link to it.  I liked it. So, then, I dowloaded it and put it in my portfolio..... did I do something wrong?"  If the photographer is disturbed, expect an angry email from the photographer and perhaps a note from his lawyer about copying/publishing images without permission.  They may even send you a bill for the commercial usage of the image.

Aug 23 06 05:16 am Link

Photographer

CAP603

Niles, Michigan, US

You cant copy, alter, and publish someones copyrighted property, whether it be a photograph or a musical work, without the permission of the copyright holder.
Try doing that to a song from a major record label and see how fast their lawyers are on you.

Aug 23 06 07:39 am Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

CAP210 wrote:
You cant copy, alter, and publish someones copyrighted property, whether it be a photograph or a musical work, without the permission of the copyright holder.
Try doing that to a song from a major record label and see how fast their lawyers are on you.

Yup

Aug 23 06 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

If it were an image i shot, we would be having a very serious converstaion about it. Doing that is not a great idea! From looking at the very heavy P'shop work in your portfolio, I would be very p#ssed if it were my photo!

Aug 23 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Benoit

Miami, Florida, US

If you feel the need to put down someone else's work to prove that yours is better that is pretty sad. Where do you get off editing someone else's work w/o their permisson? I don't know where the law falls here but I can tell you that the ethics of it stinks.

I look at other photogs work and many times I think it is crap.. but that is a personal opinion that I keep to myself (unless that persons asks for an honest comment). I market MY work to the model.. not the perceived shortcomings of my competition (that probably thinks my work is crap also).

Aug 23 06 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Editing someone else's work without asking for permission is one thing.  But to then show that photo to one of the subject of the photo in question and to use your editing skills of someone else's photo to promote your own photography is bad mojo.

Aug 23 06 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

f4 Photo wrote:

Pretty bold statement.  I don't see anything in your portfolio that exactly wows me to the point to believe your work is above standard.  I'm not impressed.  But then again, I'm not all that great myself so who am I to talk?

Aug 23 06 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

nick latino

Tucson, Arizona, US

Amy J Jones Photography wrote:
... I'd be pretty irritated that 1) another photographer took it upon himself to retouch my images and 2) the model has the nerve to then use that image vs the original one that I gave her...

I just recently was asked to take photos for a late in life model who was after all pleasant to work with and did offer me a couple of nice photos for my own portfolio.  Turn around and had someone photoshop my photos.  She still has my copy right on the photos which I placed there, but under credits now I have someone whom I don't know and was not involved with my work sharing my credit.  Because I know unless she get's some work done to remvoe her heavy strech marks and change her really manly chin she won't be doing anything much I haven't asked her to change this.  But the more I think about it the more I want my photo credit as it is, MINE...and if someone else wants to be involved with her they can spend the money to buy cameras, lights, and everything else I have to do her photos.

Aug 24 06 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

nick latino wrote:
I just recently was asked to take photos for a late in life model who was after all pleasant to work with and did offer me a couple of nice photos for my own portfolio.  Turn around and had someone photoshop my photos.  She still has my copy right on the photos which I placed there, but under credits now I have someone whom I don't know and was not involved with my work sharing my credit.  Because I know unless she get's some work done to remvoe her heavy strech marks and change her really manly chin she won't be doing anything much I haven't asked her to change this.  But the more I think about it the more I want my photo credit as it is, MINE...and if someone else wants to be involved with her they can spend the money to buy cameras, lights, and everything else I have to do her photos.

Like the OP, this is a violation copyright. They took your images, edited them, and then published them on the Internet without your permission. This is not covered by "fair use," and is in violation of U.S. copyright law. Send the model and whoever else was involved a cease and desist letter, and if they continue to use the image consult with an attorney that specializes in copyright law. People do not have the right to download a photo from the Internet, create a derivative work from that photo, and then publish it. Period.

-P-

http://www.copyright.gov/

Aug 24 06 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

f4 Photo wrote:
I see a new model in my state and I'm interested in working with her. Her portfolio is limited and what's there isn't good, but I think she has potential.

I send her email with a link to the retouched copy of her the shot and asking if she'd be interested in working with me. No answer of course, but what's new about that.

So I look at her portfolio again and sure enough, she's using the retouched image I sent her. I said she could, so that's not a problem, but still no email.

So I write to her again, Tell her I'm pleased to see she liked my retouching work and ask again if she'd like to work with me.

If anyone wants her name, I can't post it here, but maybe NJ photographers might like to get together and exchange a list of models who don't seem to be very interested in work and who probably aren't worth wasting time on. I have a pretty long list and it gets longer every week.

This is a violation of federal copyright law. Don't do this again.

http://www.copyright.gov/

Aug 24 06 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

f4 Photo wrote:

And you want to share this person's name because you've wasted so much time on her? Why not move on and let this one go? I don't get all this drama. If you don't hear back from someone, while it may be rude, it's obvious they don't want to work with you for whatever reason. Let it go and find someone who does. That's what I do.

-P-

It's really amazing how much artificial complexity people add to their lives...

Aug 24 06 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

f4 Photo wrote:

Yes, this is highly frustrating to those of us that know better, but educating models of this fact is delicate business to say the least.

We don't always know what someone's motives are to be a model and whether they're serious. Good work will only impress those that are serious.

Aug 24 06 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

Pretty bold statement.  I don't see anything in your portfolio that exactly wows me to the point to believe your work is above standard.  I'm not impressed.  But then again, I'm not all that great myself so who am I to talk?

I'm with you here, but I'm not surprised. Someone with the nerve to do what he did is probably not very experienced, and there's nothing in his profile to make me think he is.

Aug 24 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Petros Malamakis

Ledyard, Connecticut, US

f4 Photo wrote:

If the young lady wanted to talk to you she would.  HINT HINT

Aug 24 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Lots of good responses here and you should take the advice of those who have told you that you were wrong because, as a matter of fact, you were.

Aug 24 06 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

mr. wizard

Alameda, California, US

f4 Photo wrote:

I realize this is a little off the original question, but if it bugs me, maybe it also bugs her.

having the (legal) right to do something doesn't make it ethical, or appealing.  if I'm reading this correctly, then you have the right to snag any of the pictures I've taken, that a model publishes/displays, and change them.  continuing in that vein, I have to specify limits on your behavior in my agreement with her.

personally, I know I'm not yet very good, and so if a model approaches you to clean up something I shot, I can live with that.  that's her call.  but for you to grab it, sans that request, is rude.  sure she may be using it.  if someone were to be rude and offer me something of value at the same time, I might take it, but I wouldn't go back to that person.

just my $0.02.

Aug 24 06 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

f4 Photo

Thanks for all the advice folks.

On balance I think MM isn't the right place for me to find models, so in future I'll probably just stick with my commercial contacts. It's really not a very professional website when you get threads like "Do you masturbate to your model's images" posted and much of the "advice" given here (along with most of the comments on images) really isn't worth a lot. There is some worthwhile stuff, but it takes a lot of effort to dig it out. Maybe when the site matures it will be a more effective tool.

I thought it might be possible to help out a few newcomers, but even that is a struggle and probably not a very worthwile use of my time and resources right now.

It's a fun site for some and maybe a good place for social networking for those who want a social networking site and practice their photography as a hobby.

I'm off to shoot in France and Spain for a month now anyway, so good luck to you all and thanks again for the comments.

Aug 27 06 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bon Voyage... don't let the door hit ya where the Lord split ya

And just a heads up for you... In Photoshop CS3.. they're removing diffuse and gaussian blur!

-PKD

Aug 27 06 08:05 pm Link