Forums > General Industry > When does it become pathetic?

Photographer

Photography by Ed Selby

BALL GROUND, Georgia, US

There's a model here on MM that lives close to me. That is actually unusual. My home/studio is in the boondock outskirts of Atlanta. To find a model less than 45 minutes from me is a treat! According to the zip code search, she's less than 15 miles from me!

She has some okay work - not great - not horrible, and I am very confident I could get some better work with her. I have made two attempts to contact her via MM - even with her IM (she has her AIM name listed in her profile) - but she has ignored me. Not even a "thanks but no thanks".

Now I am tempted to send her a third request, but I'm thinking the resounding silence from her is not an indication that she hasn't received my emails, but an answer to my previous requests.

On the other hand, I have worked with two models who, after a third email, said they never received any prior contacts, and I've had good working relationships with them.

So, your input. Do I let it go, or try one more time?

Aug 22 06 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Let it go.  Either she's not interested (most likely) or not committed enough to modeling to be reliable (also pretty likely).

Aug 22 06 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Two requests should be plenty. Have you posted for models at the community college? Try the theater or dance depts. Also the photography dept., I used to lab assist and a remarkable number of students were also modeling.

Aug 22 06 08:54 am Link

Photographer

Meehan

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

Sounds fruitless my man. Move on.

Aug 22 06 08:55 am Link

Photographer

Al Abbazia

Orlando, Florida, US

I would let it go.

There are some models in my area who have horrible work on their ports....some with mainly snapshots.....and they ignore requests or decline. Not just me, but other photographers too considering they have shot with like one or two people in the six months I've been on here.

Remember...some of them are just flaky.

Aug 22 06 08:57 am Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Ed Selby wrote:
There's a model here on MM that lives close to me. That is actually unusual. My home/studio is in the boondock outskirts of Atlanta. To find a model less than 45 minutes from me is a treat! According to the zip code search, she's less than 15 miles from me!

She has some okay work - not great - not horrible, and I am very confident I could get some better work with her. I have made two attempts to contact her via MM - even with her IM (she has her AIM name listed in her profile) - but she has ignored me. Not even a "thanks but no thanks".

Now I am tempted to send her a third request, but I'm thinking the resounding silence from her is not an indication that she hasn't received my emails, but an answer to my previous requests.

On the other hand, I have worked with two models who, after a third email, said they never received any prior contacts, and I've had good working relationships with them.

So, your input. Do I let it go, or try one more time?

Purely because the other two models said they did not recieve prior mails I would try one last time.
Personally I dont think you are going to have much luck beings that you have tried through more than one means to contact her to no responce.

Move on and forget about it after that ..seriously.

Aug 22 06 08:58 am Link

Model

RDawkins

Breckenridge, Colorado, US

Take the hint.

Aug 22 06 09:01 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

One request is all they get...

Aug 22 06 09:04 am Link

Photographer

ChrisChris

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Kristen Holden wrote:
Take the hint.

a pretty rude hint.

Aug 22 06 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Lightwave Photography

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I get several emails a day from models wanting sessions with me and only have time to respond to the one's I want to see.

It's a numbers game, move on and email some others until you get some interest.

If you are just starting out you may want to consider paying a good professional model instead rather than waste time on flakey wannabes.

Aug 22 06 09:06 am Link

Model

Gingerwings

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Does her site say that her activity is current?  I only say this because a bunch of my friends are on vacation without the internet with their families.  If her activity is current, you can tell she's seen the requests.  If its like 5 weeks since she logged in, you might want to give her the benefit of the doubt.

That said, I respond to every email because it gets notified through my gmail and I have gmail notifier.  I try to be punctual in general, but sometimes its just not available.

Aug 22 06 09:11 am Link

Model

SsinUrn

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Ed Selby wrote:

it's been said, but i have to agree... since you've had techno demons eat your messages before, it's always worth at least one last try... but when you do, ask her to respond to at least say if she recieved the message or not.

good luck!

Aug 22 06 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Photography by Ed Selby

BALL GROUND, Georgia, US

Lightwave Photography wrote:
I get several emails a day from models wanting sessions with me and only have time to respond to the one's I want to see.

It's a numbers game, move on and email some others until you get some interest.

If you are just starting out you may want to consider paying a good professional model instead rather than waste time on flakey wannabes.

Oh, I'm not just starting out. Not at all. I know alllll about the net flakes. I know all too well.

Aug 22 06 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Find out where she lives & lie down in a sleeping bag on her front door.  Then, if she drives off, be sure to follow her.  Call her family & ask them why she doesn't respond to your calls.  Photoshop a picture of yourself & her into a single image, making it look like a boyfriend-girlfriend couple; then send her that picture.  Find out where she works, and confront her there.  Write a poem or two, naming the eight children you two will have together.

Or, you can give it up & move on.

Aug 22 06 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Photography by Ed Selby

BALL GROUND, Georgia, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Find out where she lives & lie down in a sleeping bag on her front door.  Then, if she drives off, be sure to follow her.  Call her family & ask them why she doesn't respond to your calls.  Photoshop a picture of yourself & her into a single image, making it look like a boyfriend-girlfriend couple; then send her that picture.  Find out where she works, and confront her there.  Write a poem or two, naming the eight children you two will have together.

ooo - great ideas!!
Thanks!!

Aug 22 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

First email = interest, second email = professional follow-up, third email = stalking!

Dude, don't be a stalker big_smile

Aug 22 06 09:54 am Link

Model

CaryLynn

Chattanooga, Oklahoma, US

Check her last update ect...... One last contact if no response let it go ! Silly girl

Aug 22 06 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Artbroken Images

Chicago, Illinois, US

When I first got on MM I thought things were going to be one way and after time I learned that they are completely different. My opinion of what I should have done completely changed. If she is new she may be in her own reality. Your requests alone may have got her thinking she is a hot commodity. Go ahead ask her again... like you said it has happened before. After two months ask her again. If you are still interested in five months ask her again in time she may find the real world again if she is even real herself.

It becomes pathetic when she says leave me alone and you persist... silence isn't an answer to anything. (If she is too busy to answer an email you will see it in her ever growing portfolio)

We are on MM to set up shoots. As far as wasting time goes you wasted far more time listening to us than you would have writing her a third email.

Aug 22 06 10:27 am Link

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

I have given up on models that wouldn't respond but sometimes three or four weeks latet I get a message they are intersted. Hard to figure and may drive you nuts if you try.

Aug 22 06 10:33 am Link

Model

Cybil

Springfield, Colorado, US

She probably hasn't answered b/c she's freaked out that you do fetish stuff and she's not at all into that.  I've ignored requests after looking at ports w/ lots of nudes.  But then again it was a lil' different than the stuff in your port, his had a LOT of bondage.

Aug 22 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Vermont Figurative Arts

Burlington, Vermont, US

There was a thread here a while ago where the poster was keeping stats on just how many requests were sent out and how many were answered plus how many actually evolved into a shoot.  The numbers were dismal. One could only assume that either the models were not very serious about modeling, really disliked the photographer's work, or were actually not available at all. I noticed that there are a lot of inactive model accounts that go way back on this site.
You'd thnk they would remove their profiles but mabey they're hoping...just hoping that some big agency will call them and make them rich rather than the little GWC who's just trying to get started because he loves photography.

Aug 22 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Rocke Photography

Dallas, Texas, US

I'm in Atlanta too and there is so many GREAT models around this area, that I would say don't even bother to try again.

Rocke

Aug 22 06 10:42 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Leave her a tag??

Aug 22 06 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

LNV Innovations

Spring, Texas, US

I agree, let it go. Out of every 10 contacts I try to make, I hear back from 3 or 4. The rest I guess are claiming to want to get more experience or have none and want to build a port, but yet won't reply. If they did they might even find out that after a preliminary shoot, if we work well together I would be willing to pay them something for their time.

Go figure?

Aug 23 06 08:30 am Link

Photographer

TrueHorrornet

Miami, Florida, US

I respond to every message I get, I get about 5-10 a day. I send out maybe 4-5 new messages a day and maybe get back 2-3 of them. some people are genuinely busy and some people are genuinely stuck up.

Aug 23 06 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Carlton Primm

Dallas, Texas, US

Unless the model is absolutely exceptional, one contact.  If he/she is exceptional, two attempts and that's it.

Aug 23 06 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Hey Ed,  Let it go.  If she was on vacation, as someone wrote, then she will answer when she gets through her mail.  If she doesn't answer then it's her loss, not yours.   You are just up the road from me by about 20 minutes or so and there are tons of models in the Atlanta area that are willing to drive a bit for a good shoot.  So again, let it go.  smile

Aug 23 06 09:03 am Link