Forums > General Industry > Is anybody on musecube?

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

I'm only asking because I did a search and didn't turn up anything.  The post about OMP prompted me to think about whether it is still worth my time because I'm thinking about upgrading my membership and paying so that I can have my own URL for a site. 

Anyway, feedback would be lovely.  I don't want to bash them seeing as how that's against the rules and they've never caused me any problems, just need some input before I spend the cash.

Aug 21 06 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

tjay

Redding, California, US

Aug 21 06 10:06 pm Link

Model

ASTERCHILD

San Diego, California, US

Yes...I'm on there also...http://www.musecube.com/Baby_Spanky/

Aug 21 06 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

me.
........./saycheez
(of course)

Aug 21 06 10:11 pm Link

Model

Beauty of Tiferet

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I didn't even know it existed until last week. I have my own web site for my photography and modeling and a husband who builds sites for companies like IBM and Google (back end creation mysql stuff) which is why mine is so-so (he has no time) but easy for me to work with.

I recommend you have your own site built by a pro and designed properly. To me, as an ex-designer/producer it just makes more sense to have full creative control and your own name on a site.

But that's just me. I love MM for the forums and other various reasons, but agree with other posters who have said that using a site (like I shouldn't name here) as your main base makes you appear less professional. It's better off having no site than a half-baked one...and it's not very expensive to do either.

-- Molly

Aug 21 06 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:
I'm only asking because I did a search and didn't turn up anything.  The post about OMP prompted me to think about whether it is still worth my time because I'm thinking about upgrading my membership and paying so that I can have my own URL for a site. 

Anyway, feedback would be lovely.  I don't want to bash them seeing as how that's against the rules and they've never caused me any problems, just need some input before I spend the cash.

I left when they started charging. I don’t know it it was just charging photographers, but I left regardless.

Cheaper to have my own site with a massive space for images.

Aug 21 06 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

Geo Silva

Whittier, California, US

http://www.musecube.com/geosilva/
I've been with OMP for quite some time... a paying member.  But I won't renew there.  It doesn't do much for me.  I've had much more success networking here and on myspace.  Musecube is OK, but I don't see a lot of activity there either.

Aug 21 06 10:27 pm Link

Model

Rachel D

Los Angeles, California, US

I am on Musecube and OMP

Aug 21 06 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Rachel D wrote:
I am on Musecube and OMP

Do you pay for a profile on MuseCube as a model?

Aug 21 06 10:32 pm Link

Model

AnnaMarie

Flushing, New York, US

Yep, I am a paid member on Musecube and OMP!

Aug 21 06 10:32 pm Link

Model

Julie Montana

Kalispell, Montana, US

I am on there, Julie from Montana, its a good site!!!

Aug 21 06 10:33 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Molly Black wrote:
I didn't even know it existed until last week. I have my own web site for my photography and modeling and a husband who builds sites for companies like IBM and Google (back end creation mysql stuff) which is why mine is so-so (he has no time) but easy for me to work with.

I recommend you have your own site built by a pro and designed properly. To me, as an ex-designer/producer it just makes more sense to have full creative control and your own name on a site.

But that's just me. I love MM for the forums and other various reasons, but agree with other posters who have said that using a site (like I shouldn't name here) as your main base makes you appear less professional. It's better off having no site than a half-baked one...and it's not very expensive to do either.

-- Molly

Well, the only reason why I was thinking about getting my site from them is because if you are a certain level of paying member the URL is your own, without musecube.com/sionprincess like I have now.  And I certainly don't have the money to hire a professional and I know enough html myself to get by with a template.  And I figured that since it was being offered by a modeling site their templates would be more in line with what I wanted.

Aug 21 06 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Magus

El Cajon, California, US

Aug 21 06 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'm on MuseCube too!

Aug 21 06 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Long

MCALLEN, Texas, US

I've been on Musecube for awhile.  I thought it had a better value then OMP.... But I'm thankful for the Mayhem!

Aug 21 06 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

I'm on several sites:

OMP: #686
  MuseCube: http://www.musecube.com/dante/
  Model Place: http://www.modelplace.com/?op=member&id=5223

And probably a couple others I don't remember. Model Place is pretty much a clone of MM, but it has very little traffic and many fewer members. I really like some of the people over on MuseCube, but since they changed it to a pay site (except for models) the traffic has gone down and the forums have really lost traffic. I rarely if ever log onto my OMP account, and I used to have a silver membership for quite some time but this year I let it lapse into the bronze age. My favorite sites are MM and MuseCube by far, and they are the ones I recommend to people.

-P-

Aug 21 06 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

CAP603

Niles, Michigan, US

I'm on there, too, but won't be renewing my account. The same 4 people post in the forums and most of what gets posted is boring.

Aug 22 06 07:40 am Link

Photographer

Singularity Phase

Austin, Texas, US

Musecube is a great place for an easy and affordable on-line portfolio. You can even have your own URL. mine needs some serious updating.
www.fotonimaging.net

Aug 22 06 07:45 am Link

Model

Nina Hibbler-Webster

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I do... musecube.com/hibblenn ... but I hardly visit. It seems like a great place for those who have their own urls though. I've seen some great websites created through musecube. Oh, I'm at OMP too... #55687.

Aug 22 06 07:53 am Link

Model

Gingerwings

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Lots of professionals in my area have musecube, so it was actually the first one I got.  I dont pay for any profiles though, I think that's scammy.  If someone wants to hire you, you can represent yourself in 4-5 pictures (think like a comp card and not like a gallery).  If they need to see more, send them to your MM. 

Honestly, I like the way musecube is layed out better than some of the other modelling sites.

Aug 22 06 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Joe Koz

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

MuseCube paid member ...

.../joekoz451

I suppose whether you maintain a membership ... or upgrade would depend on what your intended use is for the site. I use it to host my general interest and stock photography for the most part. Its a place I can point people to if I think they need to see a broader range of what I do than what I have on MM.

Aug 22 06 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Somewhere in Time Studi

Winter Haven, Florida, US

I've looked at MuseCube from time to time, and it looks like far more amatures are on there than pro models, and photogs.
I don't put much stock in it at all.
As for OMP, I think these are more professional models and photogs, but in my opinion, I think OMP is more interested in making the quick bucks rather than help folks out.
Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

JP

Aug 22 06 08:00 am Link

Model

Chaya Phally

New York, New York, US

Not anymore.

Aug 22 06 08:11 am Link

Model

Kemara

Tavares, Florida, US

I still haven't paid a penny to musecube. Everybody says they have to, but I don't... but I'm not gonna complain :-D
I don't check up there often, hell, I don't even check OMP very often either. But I'm on both :-D lol
www.musecube.com/kemara

Aug 22 06 08:14 am Link

Photographer

B Ellis Photography

Arlington, Texas, US

I'm a  paid member of musecube.  www.musecube.com/bellisphotography.  I use to love the site, but since photographers where asked to pay, the site has gone down as far as new models joining and the robust activity.  I dare say with the new sites like Model Mayhem and Model Place, things just aren't as robust over there as they use to be. The new models joining have been cut by three quarters and the quality isn't as good, so I just use it to showcase my work because they have good templates and the images are extremely clear.   Other than that, I check it once a day and I really don't think about it after that.

Aug 22 06 08:24 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

I'm on MuseCube and I like that you can have up to four ports with 12 pics each.  Or at least that's the subscription I bought.  Whenever someone asks to see more work, I refer them there.  I try to keep the images I have there different from the ones on OMP and here.

Aug 22 06 09:16 am Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I'm on 5 sites. I was a musecube early adopter and therefore am lucky enough to have a large portfolio there for free smile

http://www.musecube.com/wmhiccups

I get a fair amount of work from it. Most people on there are pretty serious about their art. There are a few scammers though, of course.

Aug 22 06 09:18 am Link

Model

e-string

Molly Black wrote:

-- Molly

On the other hand, having your own site isn't going to get you much exposure unless you really know how to market it. Being on networking sites such as this one gets me tons of work.

Aug 22 06 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Aug 22 06 09:23 am Link

Model

e-string

Pat Thielen wrote:
I'm on several sites:

OMP: #686
  MuseCube: http://www.musecube.com/dante/
  Model Place: http://www.modelplace.com/?op=member&id=5223

And probably a couple others I don't remember. Model Place is pretty much a clone of MM, but it has very little traffic and many fewer members. I really like some of the people over on MuseCube, but since they changed it to a pay site (except for models) the traffic has gone down and the forums have really lost traffic. I rarely if ever log onto my OMP account, and I used to have a silver membership for quite some time but this year I let it lapse into the bronze age. My favorite sites are MM and MuseCube by far, and they are the ones I recommend to people.

-P-

I use MP because I have 100 image slots and can refer people there if they want to see a bunch more of my work. smile

Aug 22 06 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

e-string wrote:
On the other hand, having your own site isn't going to get you much exposure unless you really know how to market it. Being on networking sites such as this one gets me tons of work.

True, however having your own site on your business card looks a smidge better than some 'network' site. (This will make more sense to a photog than a model as yourself however).

Aug 22 06 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

www.musecube.com/model4us2

Sniff...sniff it used to be pretty lively over there but its pretty dead now.

Aug 22 06 09:31 am Link

Model

e-string

Michael Kirst wrote:

True, however having your own site on your business card looks a smidge better than some 'network' site. (This will make more sense to a photog than a model as yourself however).

Why wouldn't that make sense to me?

Aug 22 06 09:34 am Link

Model

luv2bfitt

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

Just joined last week...

Aug 22 06 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Scott Evans

Cypress, California, US

I prefer Musecube over most toher sites, pay site or not.  I like the look and the professional feel of the site.  I wish more would join to justify the cost

Aug 22 06 09:37 am Link

Model

Erica R

Yes.  I have my website through Musecube.  I am also on OMP but downgraded the membership to the free one.  I did not like what I got through OMP.  Had a couple of people sending me emails on OMP with fake profiles and became stalkers.  I like Musecube.

Aug 22 06 09:41 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I have an account, but I find their web UI to be ... horrific.  As a result, I only tend to visit once every few months.  Usually just when someone messages me.  (And it's usually some sort of unsolicited request for me to pay them.  Yeah, right.)

Aug 22 06 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

bpi

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

yes i'm on there ,also.................

Aug 22 06 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Leighton

Lagos, Algarve, Portugal

I also left musecube when they started charging photographers. There does not seem to much European activitiy on the site and I find the number of menus you have to go through to get to a porfolio tiresome.

Aug 22 06 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

e-string wrote:
I'm on 5 sites. I was a musecube early adopter and therefore am lucky enough to have a large portfolio there for free smile

http://www.musecube.com/wmhiccups

I get a fair amount of work from it. Most people on there are pretty serious about their art. There are a few scammers though, of course.

Hey! How many times have I told you to not talk about my scamming? Geez!

wink

Aug 22 06 02:42 pm Link