Forums > General Industry > Unnecessary photos in portfolios

Photographer

IllusionDigital

San Francisco, California, US

I have noticed this  for a while, but finally decided to comment.  Why do people post photos in their portfolios that have nothing to do with Modeling?  I'm not talking about self portraits by photographers, thats still part of their craft, even if it isn't very exciting subject matter.

What I'm referring to seems to apply to models more than photographers (I'll leave pie bear out of this, because he is still cool).  This includes pictures of the model's child, pets, or the infamous camera phone making-out-with-the-boyfriend pic.  And even on occasion photographs that models have taken, confising us photographers all the more who the profile is actually featuring.

Sadly, these "non-essential" photos often get just as much or more attention from MMers than the photos of the models themselves.   

I think I need some one to explain this phenomenon to me.

Kevin

Aug 21 06 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Platow

Garfield, New Jersey, US

I feel it comes from a Myspace mentality,  also not all models are 100% serous about using this  site. Some times you'll see people who would like to model, but don't take it all that serous.  I don't find it all that bad, like the phone shots, but I'm not all that sure about the pets.

I do see what you mean.

Aug 21 06 08:08 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Because I can ...
No really I can,  I have my new avatar it is not professional and it was taken by the new hubby (I set up the camera though)

For me it shows just a bit of my personality and my personal life into what I was doing while I was gone. I don't feel that one candid image in my portfolio will distract from my getting work. I have decided that I have room for one candid photo just for fun heck I may change it to the hubbys photo now that you mentioned it.

I don't plan on filling my portfolio with them just one will do fine.

Heck according to straight up quality my tear sheets are lower quality images than my portfolio images but that is because of the nature of the book.

I also have gallery images in my portfolio that my not be considered the best but they made it into  juried gallery shows, some have sold prints for over 200.00 others have been hung in the Virgin Mega Store in downtown SF, that is good enough for me to use as tearsheets.

Iona Lynn

Aug 21 06 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

My self portrait is as exciting as they come THANK YOU very MUCH!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1187038

Aug 21 06 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Karla Ticas Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

I think this has a lot to do with models just wanting to be seen and get out there. Models aren't always professional and don't always have a professional opinion. If they think their myspace picture looks good, why do we have the right to tell them otherwise? Some models don't know any photographer that can help them with some professional images, or fact of the matter is they don't know how or where to get started. I get really frustrated when models with myspace pictures or snapshots approach me and want to work with me, but have never been in a professional shoot before. It turns me away from wanting to work with them, but if we don't give them a chance, who will? Another "guy with camera" who will take another set of crappy shots of them?

AAAND there are those women/men who just want the attention and put any pictures they have up.

eh those are my 2 cents.

Aug 21 06 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Karla Ticas Photography

I think this has a lot to do with models just wanting to be seen and get out there. Models aren't always professional and don't always have a professional opinion. If they think their myspace picture looks good, why do we have the right to tell them otherwise? Some models don't know any photographer that can help them with some professional images, or fact of the matter is they don't know how or where to get started. I get really frustrated when models with myspace pictures or snapshots approach me and want to work with me, but have never been in a professional shoot before. It turns me away from wanting to work with them, but if we don't give them a chance, who will? Another "guy with camera" who will take another set of crappy shots of them?

AAAND there are those women/men who just want the attention and put any pictures they have up.

eh those are my 2 cents.

Aug 21 06 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Karla Ticas Photography

eh those are my 2 cents.

Aug 21 06 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Karla Ticas Photography

eh those are my 2 cents.

Aug 21 06 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Karla Ticas Photography

eh those are my 2 cents.

Aug 21 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Karla Ticas Photography

eh those are my 2 cents.

Aug 21 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Karla Ticas Photography

eh those are my 2 cents.

Aug 21 06 09:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LMA

I agree this happens way too much... and I believe it is due to lack of professionalism and the fact that anyone can join this site.  If you are serious about modeling, i would think that you should know better than to post camera phone pics, those kind of pics are perfect for Myspace!

What is also bothersome is when "models" will post GROUP shots, and I don't mean professional ones...but random shots of them with a bunch of other girlfriends...and they don't even say which girl is them and I have no idea.  This isn't a popularity contest here so why not only post real photos from shoots or tears?

In fact just today i saw a profile on here that was under that category of "wardrobe stylist" and i wondered why the avatar was a girl's face. I clicked on the page and ALL the pics were of ONE girl, the girl who says she is a wardrobe stylist...seemed to me that if she wants to get into modeling she should at least make a page on MM under "model" and NOT wardrobe stylist wouldn't you agree?
About photogs who post self-portraits that's fine, but I don't like it when they post themselves as their avatar because is that really their best work?  It's neat if their self-portrait is done very artistic or creative!

Aug 21 06 09:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LMA

wait one more thing!  i forgot to mention when models post tons of pics of themselves all wearing the same exact outfit.  please don't do that! change it up, add variety. there's no need to see 10 pics of you in the same outfit.  i think it should be 3 of the same look max...this goes the same for photogs who post many of the same model...
thanks

Aug 21 06 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

Yeah, I hate that group photo thing as well.  Its even better when your eye goes to the most attractive person in the group.  You hope beyond all hope that they are the most attractive one in the group shot, but after frantically comparing the group shot to the other photos in their port you realize, nope that is just one of their friends.

Aug 21 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Karla Ticas wrote:

eh those are my 2 cents.

you can say that again

Aug 21 06 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Karla Ticas wrote:
I think this has a lot to do with models just wanting to be seen and get out there. ...

eh those are my 2 cents.

Uh.... more like 14 cents!

Aug 21 06 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

Iona, I think you misinterpreted what I was trying to say, and therefore I will clarify.  But first let me say that your new avatar still reflects you as a model, and many times candid shots are just as relevant and sometimes even more so than professional photos.   

What I meant by models taking the photos was that models taking photos of other things or other people and adding them to their modeling portfolio is quite silly.  If they are the ones taking the photos of other people they should create a photographer portfolio, not add them to their model portfolio.

Furthermore, tearsheets, as low res as they may be, are relevant to modeling.  Photos of pets and the model's children are not.

Aug 21 06 10:51 pm Link

Model

NikkyV

Dayton, Ohio, US

I have a pic that has nothing to do with modeling because I wanted to. If someone thinks that it is stupid, then they don't have to talk to me and they don't have to want to work with me. My pic is of me doing a burn-out on my bike. I feel it shows that I am laid back and fun. I have people that like it on here. The rest of my port is of me, modeling. What if I bend the "rules" of MM? It's not vulgar, it's not me with someone else, or my pets. Most of all, again, it's my port, and that's what I want in it.

Aug 21 06 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

is this site about modelling and photography?
really dont think so, do you?

Aug 21 06 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

I guess the photo of my damn cat is "unnecessary."

https://photoworks.ws/models/Tommie/July_2005/images/TOM0055_waterHead.jpg

Except that it has the most comments of any photo. And is a magnet for cat-lovin' models who like to email me about him or leave comments. (any cat-lovin' model should feel free to do that)

So he's there for PR purposes. It's about the only thing he's good for since he's a real lazy-ass puss that sleeps 18 hours a day, furs up the bed, leaves hairballs, brings in lizards, chases mice into the swimming pool and likes expensive cat food every damn morning. 

(just occured to me.... his presence on MM makes him tax deductable...!!!)

Aug 21 06 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

I think you all are missing the point.  do you even read the post or just the title?  You doing a burnout on your bike shows that yeou could in fact model for something like this, even though this particular shot is not from a professional photoshoot. 

the following is a general statement and not directed at a specific individual.

A photo you took of your pet turtle has nothing to do with your abilities as a model and shouldn't be included in your portfolio.  Same goes for that photo of your baby.

Aug 21 06 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

Curt Burgess wrote:

Except that it has the most comments of any photo. And is a magnet for cat-lovin' models who like to email me about him or leave comments. (any cat-lovin' model should feel free to do that)

So he's there for PR purposes. It's about the only thing he's good for since he's a real lazy-ass puss that sleeps 18 hours a day, furs up the bed, leaves hairballs, brings in lizards, chases mice into the swimming pool and likes expensive cat food every damn morning. 

This actually proves the point I made in my original post about the non-related photos getting more attention.

Aug 21 06 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Kevin Bargeron wrote:
A photo you took of your pet turtle has nothing to do with your abilities as a model and shouldn't be included in your portfolio.  Same goes for that photo of your baby.

you assume that the (sole?) purpose of an MM model portfolio is to demonstrate the abilities of the model. eliminate the assumption, and the entire site makes more sense, no?

Aug 21 06 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Lord-ent

St Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Perhaps it is mroe a mentality of Quantity, rather than Quality. I too have fallen into this hideous trap on occasion.  But thankfully my friends here on the site let me know to take stuff down.  wink

Aug 21 06 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

oldguysrule wrote:
you assume that the (sole?) purpose of an MM model portfolio is to demonstrate the abilities of the model. eliminate the assumption, and the entire site makes more sense, no?

I suppose I expected too much.  I will now lower my standards and eliminate all expectations.

Aug 21 06 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Here's an unnecessary photo that has seriously benefitted me.

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/050819/00/430570a92e1d1_m.jpg

Aug 21 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Curt Burgess wrote:

Kevin Bargeron wrote:
This actually proves the point I made in my original post about the non-related photos getting more attention.

I guess the cat pic supports that point to some extent, although the models I've worked with get more views. He not a turtle (like you referred to earlier), however did you take note of the bolded text (above)?  So, on the surface, it may seem like an "unnecessary" photo, but do you see the benefit I reap from this? 

People have different reasons for putting a photo up and their own reasons for considering them necessary (or not). I guess I don't understand why people get upset or concerned about what people put on their pages - they are their pages not someone elses. I'm not saying you're in a huff about this or anything - all you've stated is that you were wondering about it. So maybe this will be an enlightening discussion.

Aug 21 06 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

I had a Starbucks cup up for a while...it got more views & comments than everything else... it's gone now smile

Aug 22 06 02:02 am Link

Photographer

Star

Brian Diaz wrote:
Here's an unnecessary photo that has seriously benefitted me.

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/050819/00/430570a92e1d1_m.jpg

The OP said Piebear is still cool....

Star

Aug 22 06 02:35 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

People do seem to confuse this site with MySpace.

Aug 22 06 02:51 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Oh come on. ModelMayhem is a "professional" site as everyone insists it is but at the same time it definetly has a myspace feel to it and aside from a site to network with photogs, stylists, and MUA's its really not THAT serious.

I'm sure a model's port (and were not even talking about her actual portfolio here which is what I thought was being referred to) is not gonna put her in shambles just cause she has a pic of her and her boyfriend or pet dog. Oh the travesty!!!!!

When we're talking about an actual portfolio then there's reason for a discussion here.

Aug 22 06 02:53 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Karla Ticas wrote:
I get really frustrated when models with myspace pictures or snapshots approach me and want to work with me, but have never been in a professional shoot before. It turns me away from wanting to work with them, but if we don't give them a chance, who will?

You can't be serious. I thought nowadays polaroids hold as much merit as a professional pic? Since when does a photographer need to see "professional pics" of a model before he decides to work with her? I thought models are encouraged to start with polaroids even when going to major agencies? One of the first photo shoots I ever had was from being approached at the local Starbucks when I was in sweat pants and a tank top with my friends one saturday morning. A real photographer will see something there without all the hoopla of hair and make-up and fancy lighting.

Aug 22 06 02:57 am Link

Model

NoLOngerHeree

New York, New York, US

Kevin Bargeron wrote:
I have noticed this  for a while, but finally decided to comment.  Why do people post photos in their portfolios that have nothing to do with Modeling?  I'm not talking about self portraits by photographers, thats still part of their craft, even if it isn't very exciting subject matter.

What I'm referring to seems to apply to models more than photographers (I'll leave pie bear out of this, because he is still cool).  This includes pictures of the model's child, pets, or the infamous camera phone making-out-with-the-boyfriend pic.  And even on occasion photographs that models have taken, confising us photographers all the more who the profile is actually featuring.

Sadly, these "non-essential" photos often get just as much or more attention from MMers than the photos of the models themselves.   

I think I need some one to explain this phenomenon to me.

Kevin

I personally think that as long as it isnt overdone its fine. I feel as though it helps
the veiwers of your portfolio see a bit of your personality as well. I have a picture of myself making a funny face on my front page because i feel i seem more relateable that way, its the real me. well, as always that was my 2 cents and im off to bed : )

Aug 22 06 02:57 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

I keep all the images in my port "'focused"...I dont bother looking at pets and babbies.
However, it's not a "professional" site, though there are many pros here. It's a tool as well as entertainment..

Use it as you may, expect nothing and nobody gets hurt..LOL

Vance

Aug 22 06 03:02 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Nikole Vontz wrote:
My pic is of me doing a burn-out on my bike. I feel it shows that I am laid back and fun. I have people that like it on here. The rest of my port is of me, modeling. What if I bend the "rules" of MM? It's not vulgar, it's not me with someone else, or my pets. Most of all, again, it's my port, and that's what I want in it.

Thank you! Yeesh! This is just a site for fun and networking. There's no rules as to what should be in a port. For portfolios there's rules, for comp cards there are rules. For a webpage? YAWN. I think I'll go back to bed.

Aug 22 06 03:03 am Link

Model

Phoenix E

i have to agree with some of the other responses....this is not a strictly professional/business site....thus things like the forums......i understand your complaint, and i can even sympathize, but i also know that i have--for brief moments--posted all kinds of random images....i think random images are interesting because they tend to tell something about the model that might not otherwise be seen....i have a habit of randomly posting microscope images for a day or two...they are sometimes an inside joke and sometimes just a whim...
you may not care much about the personality outside of the lens, but there are a lot of photographers on this site that do. speaking as a model, i don't use this site to get professional gigs; i use this site to connect with spectacular aritists and possible friends--people who do indeed care about my off-camera personality....
accepting that this site is as much about socialization as business is not lowering any standards; appreciate it for the unique thing it is.

Aug 22 06 03:13 am Link

Model

Cybil

Springfield, Colorado, US

Well, I j/ started here and have not yet had a chance of getting pro photos.  I would love to, believe me, but I j/ ahven't been able to yet.  So, out of desparation, I've picked some photos close at hand.

Aug 22 06 03:20 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Cybil wrote:
Well, I j/ started here and have not yet had a chance of getting pro photos.  I would love to, believe me, but I j/ ahven't been able to yet.  So, out of desparation, I've picked some photos close at hand.

You don't need to apoligize for that! There's one agency model on here that I know of who chose to only put up her regular polaroid shots.

Aug 22 06 03:34 am Link

Model

Danella Lucioni

Florence, Toscana, Italy

i think i just wasted my time reading all the posts in this one forum... i have to admit i lost track of the point. but the main point, i agree with. no doubt about it.
i had fun though. thank you guys.

Aug 22 06 03:39 am Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

*headbutts wall*
WHY?
Why does it bother you?
If you think it is unprofessional and bugs you then the bets are you are not going to work or wish to work with that model,that you will move onto another portfolio.

Or are you?
If the other shots show a great model with a look you would work with would you approach the model anyway?
If you did then why does the non model photo bother you so?

Its not as if those with pics of their kids/cats and so on are going to read this thread and think"oh I had best take them down because that gentlemen doesnt like it"

I admit that I do agree portfolios should show off your work and not your friends or children and so on but then again that DOES give a small insight into the personality of the model and at the end of the day if the model and the photographer dont "click"in that way its going to be harder to get decent shots of them no matter how good their look.

Aug 22 06 05:46 am Link