Forums > General Industry > Take my foot out of my mouth again.

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

I got a request about photos and told her at this time I was not shooting any plus size models. Holy crap! Wrong thing to say. I'm not going to give her stats as I don't want to offend anyone else.

Note to self: Don't call large model plus size models.

Aug 21 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

Doug Sampson wrote:
I got a request about photos and told her at this time I was not shooting any plus size models. Holy crap! Wrong thing to say. I'm not going to give her stats as I don't want to offend anyone else.

Note to self: Don't call large model plus size models.

Got that right!...Stick with the "I'm going for a different look at this time" speech

Aug 21 06 10:30 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

There's nothing wrong with someone knowing that you're not interested because of what they look like.  That's what modeling is all about.  Fat models (I gather from your tone that she's not industry standard plus) get turned down more often than not.  Being a large model requires a very thick skin.  She'll either get used to it and toughen up and be more determined, or she'll realize that this isn't the right hobby for her.

Aug 21 06 10:41 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Ed Remington wrote:
Got that right!...Stick with the "I'm going for a different look at this time" speech

OOO!!! Writing that one down.

Doug......pppppbt... pppppppppppbt..... BAAAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!!

Sorry... too funny.   I did the same thing once and got: "I'm a plus sized model????"

yikes

-PKD

Aug 21 06 10:43 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Shyly wrote:
There's nothing wrong with someone knowing that you're not interested because of what they look like.  That's what modeling is all about.  Fat models (I gather from your tone that she's not industry standard plus) get turned down more often than not.  Being a large model requires a very thick skin.  She'll either get used to it and toughen up and be more determined, or she'll realize that this isn't the right hobby for her.

And this is why Shyly is so loved on this site.  smile

Aug 21 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Shyly wrote:
There's nothing wrong with someone knowing that you're not interested because of what they look like.  That's what modeling is all about. ...

Wait!? What is dating about then?

Aug 21 06 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Shyly wrote:

but you know as well as anybody that models in general have a distorted sense of where they place in the modeling world (how many 5'4' fashion models are on this site??) and fat models are even more distorted in their views (most seem to think that by the very nature of them being overweight they must by default then be a plus sized model).  Everyone isn't grounded in reality like you are Shyly.

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

PK Digital Imaging wrote:

My kind of gal...

big_smile

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Guess it's time to take down the No Fat Chicks sticker on my studio door wink

Aug 21 06 10:47 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Ransom J wrote:
...(most seem to think that by the very nature of them being overweight they must by default then be a plus sized model)...

To be fair, it's an honest mistake to make.  New models (I did this too) logically conclude that since they are plus size women they will also be plus size models.  Until you've been exposed to the modeling world and learned that the term "plus size model" has a very specific meaning, there's no way to know that.  We all learn soon enough.

Aug 21 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

Shyly wrote:

Thank you for your great answer.

Aug 21 06 11:06 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

PK Digital Imaging wrote:

Mayanlee wrote:
My kind of gal...

big_smile

Awwww....it's Warm-Fuzzies-For-Shyly Day!  smile smile smile

Aug 21 06 11:07 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Fotticelli wrote:
Wait!? What is dating about then?

I have no idea.  This one time, I was on a first date with a guy who seemed nice and normal enough.  Until he started telling me that a photo of him that I liked was self-taken whilst on the pot.  He illustrated with enthusiastic straining and grunting noises.  While a plate of hot beans steamed on the table between us.

I really have no idea.

Aug 21 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Shyly wrote:

To be fair, it's an honest mistake to make.  New models (I did this too) logically conclude that since they are plus size women they will also be plus size models.  Until you've been exposed to the modeling world and learned that the term "plus size model" has a very specific meaning, there's no way to know that.  We all learn soon enough.

I agree and understand, but in my experience the problem lies not in their ignorance when entering the industry, but after they've been in and stayed in and learned the definition.  Then they STILL maintain the "dream"  thinking that some how they are the exception to the rule.  But again this is not JUST plus model wanna be's.  Same holds true for fashion model wanna be's and even glamour model wanna be's (try telling a girl with no boobs or butt that she isn't reall "fit" for glamour and you'll be missing a limb).

Seems like art models in general are the most realistic.

Aug 21 06 11:12 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Ransom J wrote:
Seems like art models in general are the most realistic.

I think you're probably right.  We've learned that we can't (or won't) cram ourselves into mainstream standards, so we're free to just be ourselves and accept ourselves as we are.  It's the best of all possible worlds, really.

Aug 21 06 11:15 am Link