Model

Piper ann

Crawfordsville, Indiana, US

I have heards complaints on many things here, but I haven't really heard much about the topic of pageant involvement...does any body do that?

* I mean, is it something that can help you/hurt you...nothing? I don't know how people in "the business" view pageant girls.

Aug 21 06 07:21 am Link

Model

Niquey

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Just to specify.. beauty pageants or christmas pageants? tongue

Personally i've found mentioning that i was Mrs. Claus for a childrens christmas function and mini parade gets a good review, i was also a christmas fairy for a float when i was 12. Never done the beauty pageant thing though, it isn't something that occurs much where i'm from.

Aug 21 06 07:32 am Link

Model

Crow 13

Alto, Texas, US

when i was younger i did all that "fun stuff" if you will for a while.Is there something exact you wanted to know or are you wanting to know about the older girls pagents

Aug 21 06 07:40 am Link

Model

Piper ann

I am asking because I have consider doing some beauty pageants in my area. It is a hefty investment in some cases and I don't know if it is one of those things that is frowned upon.

It seems like fun to me but I have no experience at all doing it, and I didn't know if it is one of those things that could be used to boost your career or not.

I guess I really don't have that much knowledge about it and I wondered if anyone else did.

Aug 21 06 07:52 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Putch wrote:
I am asking because I have consider doing some beauty pageants in my area. It is a hefty investment in some cases and I don't know if it is one of those things that is frowned upon.

It seems like fun to me but I have no experience at all doing it, and I didn't know if it is one of those things that could be used to boost your career or not.

I guess I really don't have that much knowledge about it and I wondered if anyone else did.

I guess if you're six it may be fun. But after having covered "beauty pageants" for a number of years I can tell you one thing. Fun is not the word I'd use to describe them.

Here are couple things I have actually witnessed. Contestants slicing and dicing other contestants gowns/costumes to knock them out of the running. One pageant at which the contestants were lined up ready to go on stage for the bathing suit competition segment I witnessed one girl using her heels to kick the contestants leg behind her causing her to bleed. I guess she felt the girl was too pretty or more of a threat than the girl in front of her.

I've seen soda intentionally being spilled on other contestants. I've seen mothers get into fist fights. After serving as a judge in one pageant I was accosted by irate mothers demanding to know why I didn't pick their daughters.

So if you still want to enter pageants. Good Luck!

Aug 21 06 08:42 am Link

Model

Piper ann

wow...I have not really looked into the world of pageant horror stories...yikes

Aug 21 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Putch wrote:
wow...I have not really looked into the world of pageant horror stories...yikes

Most organizers of pageants would not let things like that out. Ocassionally it does even to the extent of making the news. One night a new channel from Orlando caught two mothers actually getting into a fist fight at a pageant. I think one was trying to steal the trophy from the other.....a real inspiration to their daughters.

Pageants are mini meat markets in my opinion. They are just a cutthroat as any business deal I've ever been party to. The mothers are the worst although I've seen some real bitches as young as 10. But they get that from Mom.

Just think you're serious about getting involved do it with both eyes open!

Aug 21 06 03:40 pm Link

Model

Isabelle Du

Los Angeles, California, US

Keep in mind that you take in the bad with the good. 

My pageant experiences have been both but I've always had fun because it's really what you make of it.  Some girls are there to win and others are to network or to make friends.  I think when you go into pageants, you should have more than just the reason on winning otherwise you'll find yourself really disappointed and coming out with nothing. 

I've made friends through pageants and I don't just mean with my fellow contestants either. 

For example, through my first pageant, one of the coordinators had referred the girls to Katie B., a make-up artist who would do our hair and make-up for a good price.  She was fabulous and we stayed in touch even after the pageant was done and over with.  She recently asked me to do some trade work and I, of course, agreed because one, we're friends and two, it's hard to come by TFP work with a talented make-up artist, so therefore three, I knew the photos would turn out great.

My current avatar and the one other picture in my portfolio is from our shoot and I got to meet her photographer Brian Bobila who she always works with.  He, too, is just as talented.

Anyhow, sorry if I'm rambling on, but the point is - you meet people and opportunities through pageants and that's my favorite part about them.  Winning titles don't hurt either.

I say, you should try it at least once.  Because you never know.  And I hope your experience will turn out to be a positive one too!  Best of luck!

Aug 22 06 01:36 am Link

Model

OC Girl

Costa Mesa, California, US

In my opinion, if you're going to enter a pageant, do one that is a part of the Miss America organization or the Miss USA/Miss Universe organization.  For one, they're credible.  If you say you are/were Miss Sacramento or first runner up for Miss Virginia USA, it's more impressive than say, the 1st American Miss pageant you entered at the mall.  Those are all private little entities that don't really lead anywhere.  And many times, what judges look for is different in each one.

Also, in the Miss America and Miss USA system, you don't have to pay to enter (generally).  There are usually local companies and community groups that sponser the contestants.  They also offer scholarships.  Small pageants usually have a fee to enter.  They also have different catergories and a price for each.  Most of them give you a trophy and sash.

Pageants can be great for developing poise and also give great interviewing and public speaking practice.  These are great in any area you wish to pursue.  It's never a bad thing to hone (sp?) these skills.

I can see how being Miss Hawaiian Tropic can help your bikini modeling.  Miss America has opened up doors for lots of people.  They're great for spokesmodeling and promotions.  But in my opinion, if your modeling credits consist of 10 local pageants you've won or entered, it gives off a wanna be vibe.  "I've never done a shoot, but I was voted most photogenic at a pageant in the mall six months ago so you should hire me."

JMHO.

Aug 22 06 02:15 am Link

Photographer

re- photography

San Francisco, California, US

I'd be interested in seeing some stats on how many "pageant models" have successfull careers in modeling......

I'll seccond the fact that sure the national ones might look good on a resume if you place well, and some might be good for "grooming/polishing" but at least around where I live in Massachusetts they seam to be somewhat of a joke, and at the younger ages, a way for "cheerleeder mothers" to live out their own failed-dreams through their uninterested child........

honestly, I have heard of photographers refusing to work with beauty pageant models, just as they won't work with "modeling school models" which are sometimes lumped together

basically the best model to a photographer is one who either has experience in the field that is being shot, be it fashion or advertising, or has no experience at all but natural beauty/poise, but then again I prefer to work with people who are artists themselves whether in art school or no, as they provide a certain insight/understanding of the process, which can be far more inportant than natural beauty or "poise"

I'd say, if you want to be a pageant model for the rest of your career, go for it, otherwise, learn through doing TFP/TFCD work, and take a general art, photography, or even business of photography/modeling course in the time you would have spent at pageants.....

that's my view.....

Ryan Entwistle - Photographer
re: photography

Aug 22 06 02:28 am Link

Model

Kenzie Karter

Huntington Beach, California, US

wow pageant horror stories. The first time I entered everyone gave me one. But I also was first runner up to Miss teen Ohio on my first pageant. They are in my opinion something everyone should experience. I personally have never met a girl from them that at the end of the day was upset she did it. Of course in the end youll have those girls who cry and scream, especially after they are first runner up haha. I didnt cry tho I was in shock. But seriously especially if your looking for a way to get exposure and get different types of experiences I reccomend them. I've done USA and was in top 15 for ohio, my first America prelim in in a month , and Ive won International and the title I have now. I always say to do it because Ive benefitted so much from them, especially scholarship wise, however I can see how someone wouldnt like them too.

Aug 22 06 08:13 am Link

Model

Piper ann

I really appreciate all the insight! The good and the bad! Thanks everybody!
Piper

Aug 22 06 01:55 pm Link

Model

Tikal

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Putch wrote:

For the simple pagent I cant see a problem I mean I think it would show. A) You are deticated and willing to spend time to showcase yourself. B) You obviously care about your up keep and health (usually) and C) you are perfectly fine in front of crowds and being judged.. because thats what happens at pagents.

The only thing i would think is negitive is the way some people who are in that stuff act. Like if you can win a local pagnent then you can model in italy.. that kind of stuff.. like there were lots of girls at this local theatre in baltimore.. and the stage was like friggin 12x12 i love it there but its small time and some of the people who get leads there act like they are the kings and queens of broadway.

Aug 22 06 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Modeling and pageants have very little in common, and pageants, even at the national level, are not a doorway to modeling.  Nobody in "the industry" cares - in fact, being a "pageant girl" is a minor strike against you with agencies and clients.  Not a career-killer, just something to worry about a little.  Too many attitudes and habits that don't fit in the modeling world.

Aug 22 06 02:09 pm Link

Model

Piper ann

Well, I think one advantage in my case is that I don't have a pageant background. I just think it would be another interesting experience. I dont really know anyone personally at my age (26) that has done it, and there are only a handful of pageants that are for married women.

I have no misconceptions about what I will gain from it, and actually and connections outside of the even itself would be just an added bonus. I was more concerned about it being something that was frowned upon, and it seems like the jury is fairly split on the decision.

I f I do it, it will just be to have a good time and try to win. I dont at all think it would make me a better model! I just dont want it to hinder me from being one!

Aug 22 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Putch wrote:
I dont at all think it would make me a better model! I just dont want it to hinder me from being one!

It won't if you also understand that it won't likely help, and don't bring it up to model agencies and clients.  It's not as though it were a deep, dark secret the discovery of which will ruin you forever.  It's just something that you should minimize if it is ever brought up by someone else.  Then it won't be a problem.

Aug 22 06 04:30 pm Link