Forums > General Industry > digtal camera ??????

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

ok this is what i was thinking of doing ...... weddings i know if i put a gun in my mouth and get it over with i would be happier but i am getting tired of bosses screwing me over so weddings make good $$$$$

i would rather shoot film ie buy a good N90 and a good lens but as it is i will probably have to get a digital i did the math the profit margin is bigger if i use a digital

now i will have to stay in the Nikon or Pentax or Fuji FinePix S3 Pro bodies because i have 2 Pentax lines and 4 Nikon lenses (not that i do not like Canon but i would have to buy a hole new lenses sets) i am going to look for a used 70-200 2.8 or = in Pentax as for the bodies i am going to have to stay in the 1000$ range so i can get

Nikon
D50
D70
D70s
D80

or

Pentax
K100D
K110D
*ist DL

or

Fuji FinePix S3 Pro (i have not found the price new on one but i thinking used)

now i have had experienced using a D70 and a s2 pro i thinking that i will be shooting in low light and both of these i felt where bad way too much nose and i did not like the s2 at all ( maby i did not use it enff to get a good fell for it) and there was a post about the s3and i looked up some reviews on it but really no one sed how it performed in low light height asa / exaples i have not seen any people comment on the Pentax modals any one shoot with them they are the cheaper of the bunch

BUT my biggest concern is the nose @ high asa and when using flash which is the best

Aug 20 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Ruben Vasquez

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

dpreview.com has all the answers you need and then some concerning your camera questions. It's also a great site that'll compare different (but similer) camera's. Most everyone here will just give you their opinion (presented as fact of course), this site will give you the facts and present the observations of industry respected professionals.

This is a little off topic but since your making the move to digital, are you setup to handle and thus take advantage of all that digital has to offer? What I mean is: is your computer fast enough and have enough storage to handle all the photo's? Since you'll be shooting weddings you'll be shooting quite a few photo's and your chosen file type (raw, tiff, jpeg) can easily bog down your computer. More over, are you familier with your chosen photo editor? Garyfong.com would be a good site to help with some of this.

Best of luck to you

Ruben

Aug 20 06 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

If you only have $1000 to spend on a wedding camera you are better off to skip digital for now, lower your profit margin and get film gear. No-brainer given your choices - Nikon is the way to go. N90 is a great camera but while you are at it get an F or Fm2 and have a repair tech go through it. You will thank me when the N90 is in your bag dead and you are shooting away with your bulletproof all manual camera. Once you get your business going, buy a PROFESSIONAL digital body and use the film for backup. One strategy would be to find a retailer like Best Buy that offers 12 months no payments. Get the camera and use the extra profits to pay it off in 11 months. They just loaned you the money for ZERO interest!

Aug 20 06 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

Ruben Vasquez wrote:
dpreview.com has all the answers you need and then some concerning your camera questions. It's also a great site that'll compare different (but similer) camera's. Most everyone here will just give you their opinion (presented as fact of course), this site will give you the facts and present the observations of industry respected professionals.

This is a little off topic but since your making the move to digital, are you setup to handle and thus take advantage of all that digital has to offer? What I mean is: is your computer fast enough and have enough storage to handle all the photo's? Since you'll be shooting weddings you'll be shooting quite a few photo's and your chosen file type (raw, tiff, jpeg) can easily bog down your computer. More over, are you familier with your chosen photo editor? Garyfong.com would be a good site to help with some of this.

Best of luck to you

Ruben

computer stuff in the good 2 1200s ADMs on the bord 2gig ram i  512 on the graphics card and 200gig on the hard drives can work up to a gig photo (i usly work 20-30meg photos ) i was sort of hoping for peoples opinions so let them rip lol

Aug 20 06 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

Michael L. wrote:
If you only have $1000 to spend on a wedding camera you are better off to skip digital for now, lower your profit margin and get film gear. No-brainer given your choices - Nikon is the way to go. N90 is a great camera but while you are at it get an F or Fm2 and have a repair tech go through it. You will thank me when the N90 is in your bag dead and you are shooting away with your bulletproof all manual camera. Once you get your business going, buy a PROFESSIONAL digital body and use the film for backup. One strategy would be to find a retailer like Best Buy that offers 12 months no payments. Get the camera and use the extra profits to pay it off in 11 months. They just loaned you the money for ZERO interest!

i agree i love my K1000 and i love the F Nikon but i was looking for a AF camera and trust me my K1000 and my N2000 WILL be in my bag when i go out i need to make the best $$$ i can and digital will bring in the most i have been working on a business plan and like i sed i am tierd of bosses making promises that they do not keep getting screwed out of $$$ by people like the last job i had i got payed 8.00$ and was only allowed to get payed for 30hr a week evin though i would work 70hr so it time to do some thing about it i just wont to shoot

Aug 20 06 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

changed name

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I'm really impressed with the D80. It's new, so there might be bugs but it retails for a thousand. You'll need memory cards and you might need sharper, better corrected lenses, as recommended for digital. The D80 is 10Mp - a big advantage over a 6mp for the enlargements required for weddings. It's also likely to have lower noise. I disagree with buying film cameras. Not only are most wedding photogs shooting digital or medium format, but I think you'll save money with digital. Also, with regards to buying a "professional" digital body at Best Buy - I doubt Best Buy carries anything over a D200, which is where the "heavy" workhorse bodies come in - oh, and they're pretty weighty for weddings.

I finally got rid of my beloved N90s for a DSLR - which I'll purchase soon. Pro film D&P is almost non-existent in Indiana.

Aug 20 06 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

i read a lot on the Nikon and the S3 and looked on the forums for the Pentax DSLRs and there is nothing any one out there with one like i sed please give personal opinions on all the cameras i listed the tech jargon is making my head heart lol

Aug 21 06 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Josh Humble wrote:
I'm really impressed with the D80. It's new, so there might be bugs but it retails for a thousand. You'll need memory cards and you might need sharper, better corrected lenses, as recommended for digital. The D80 is 10Mp - a big advantage over a 6mp for the enlargements required for weddings. It's also likely to have lower noise. I disagree with buying film cameras. Not only are most wedding photogs shooting digital or medium format, but I think you'll save money with digital. Also, with regards to buying a "professional" digital body at Best Buy - I doubt Best Buy carries anything over a D200, which is where the "heavy" workhorse bodies come in - oh, and they're pretty weighty for weddings.

I finally got rid of my beloved N90s for a DSLR - which I'll purchase soon. Pro film D&P is almost non-existent in Indiana.

Well the OP expressed a preference for shooting film but prefers the profit of digital. I said a store "like" Best Buy but maybe the suggestion is moot. The F - Fm2 suggestion came as I consider wedding photography to be combat zone stuff. You need military reliability. Given that the OP does have some 35mm gear already, I agree with going digital. I just wonder how any $1000 dollar camera body is going to hold up? Sometimes it's cheaper to pay more and get the good stuff.

Aug 21 06 12:22 am Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

Michael L. wrote:

Well the OP expressed a preference for shooting film but prefers the profit of digital. I said a store "like" Best Buy but maybe the suggestion is moot. The F - Fm2 suggestion came as I consider wedding photography to be combat zone stuff. You need military reliability. Given that the OP does have some 35mm gear already, I agree with going digital. I just wonder how any $1000 dollar camera body is going to hold up? Sometimes it's cheaper to pay more and get the good stuff.

i wondered how well they stand up also lol that is a nether thing that i am trying to get info on also i was working for a news paper and they gave me a D70 to use it held up pretty well it got tossed used in the ran and i say not a bad camera as long as you did not have to have to use asa 400+ then the photos where so noise that they where all but unusable

Aug 21 06 09:34 am Link