Forums > General Industry > Yet another thread about releases...

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

...ok, so a friend of mine shot with a photographer yesterday.  I won't get into the details of what he did that was incredibly unprofessional so much to the point that even I was embarassed.  Anyhow, she did do topless implied and WHY she though she could hide her areolas with the sides of her arms, I have no idea. Whether and actual nipple is showing, I have no idea as the photos are too small.  So, my question is this, lets assume for a moment that this makes her uncomfortable the showing of her areolas is unacceptable.  How would a model go about protecting themselves from these types of "bloopers" from being used?

I've had shots like these but it is soooo barely visible that I've been able to easily clone them out without anyone knowing.  But these are quite obvious the photos in question.

Thoughts?

Aug 20 06 04:50 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Y A W N !!!!

Studio36

Aug 20 06 06:40 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

Tell her to ask him niceley and stop modelling.  There is always something showing that models don't want.  Gap tooth, pubic pluck marks on bikini shoots blah blah blah.  If the isn't keen on bits showing get her a yashmak or tell her to keep her tits under cover.

Aug 20 06 06:46 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

haha...I agree.  There really isn't much she can do.  But I've seen models bring photographer releases that make statements about not being allowed to publish/post any photos that show nipples, areolas, and genitalia.  I was just wondering how practical that is.

And Studio, I'm sorry you felt compelled to open the thread.  Next time put your finger in a sling and maybe the accident won't happen. wink  But I feel for ya man.  Trust me, with all the garbage that gets posted, I felt weird starting this one.  Seriously, the stuff she said he tried to do...man...all I kept saying was that she should have just called me and I'd have come picked her right up.

Aug 20 06 09:45 am Link

Photographer

JimNew

Los Angeles, California, US

There really isn't much she can do.  But I've seen models bring photographer releases that make statements about not being allowed to publish/post any photos that show nipples, areolas, and genitalia.  I was just wondering how practical that is.

A release would certainly help, but it wouldn't absolutely prevent the photographer from publishing the photos (if the photographer was unethical). If it's a serious concern, I would recommend not posing topless at all--why tempt fate? In other words, if it would be upsetting to have photos published with part of your breasts showing, then don't pose with any of your breasts showing.

Aug 20 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I really have no idea as I've never run into that sort of situation. The chances I would  be working with someone that uptight are someplace between rare and non existant.  Let her know that if she takes off he shirt and bra, there's a good chance 'something' will show, that's why it's called semi nude. Does she really understand this modeling thing?

Aug 20 06 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Doug Lester wrote:
I really have no idea as I've never run into that sort of situation. The chances I would  be working with someone that uptight are someplace between rare and non existant.  Let her know that if she takes off he shirt and bra, there's a good chance 'something' will show, that's why it's called semi nude. Does she really understand this modeling thing?

What is considered trivial to us is for whatever reason, important to others.  The best advice of course is not do it if you're worried about the risks.  Certainly when it concerns a stranger.  In the end, all I asked was a question.  Even if she had a "release" that wouldn't have done much about him pulling himself out to show her that he shaves.  Now THAT is comedy!

Aug 20 06 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Meehan

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

I was once asked not to publish any images where anything 'popped out'. I said OK.
Perhaps she could do the same!?!

Aug 20 06 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

DigitalCMH wrote:
Even if she had a "release" that wouldn't have done much about him pulling himself out to show her that he shaves.  Now THAT is comedy!

The yawn was exactly because:

Presumably she is over 18; and presumably she came in the front door at some point; so presumably she also knew the way out.

The whole thing, and every time something like it comes up, is kind of like someone telling their doctor that "It hurts when I do this" and the doctor replies "Well don't do that"

So why are we really even discussing this? [EDIT>] At least why are we even discussing this in terms of "releases".

Studio36

Aug 20 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

I don't want to make excuses for her.  We can all suggest she used poor judgment.  As for walking about the door...it was a location shoot that they carpooled to.  And it's hard for me to bitch at her about this because *I* do this all the time.  I often suggest carpooling.  It's a way of breaking the ice and often helps insure that they'll make it on time since I'm driving smile  And you know what...if I was an asshole, I could some pretty bad things too and there wouldn't be much they can do about it other than to assault me.  I did share some advice that she should stopped the shoot...any excuse and make a phone call to as many people as it takes until someone can pick her up.

Sorry for wasting your time, it wasn't my intention.  The original question was not so much about what happened on THAT shoot but what she or anyone can do to protect themselves in the future...legally.  Obvious answers of course are, don't do it.  Sometimes people need to make mistakes to learn.  Like me.  Now I know to make my threads more exciting so as to not get a yawn from.

Does this help?

https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/62906543.jpg

Aug 20 06 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
lets assume for a moment that this makes her uncomfortable the showing of her areolas is unacceptable.  How would a model go about protecting themselves from these types of "bloopers" from being used?
Thoughts?

Sure ... if she wants to run around topless and doesn't want the guy to shoot her nipples, she can cover them with masking tape, or something like that.

Maybe some 3 inch square band aids for scraped knees.

"Implied" would then be guaranteed.

Don't rely on a model release to stop some photographers from showing trophies from their nipple collection.

Aug 20 06 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Forgot all about the pasties smile

Aug 20 06 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

If she doesn't want anything showing, she should keep her clothes on
This's another reason "implied" nudity is a bad joke

Aug 20 06 10:39 pm Link