Forums > General Industry > Is there a secret?

Model

Michael Phillip

Richmond, California, US

Now I've been modeling for like 6 months (yeah I know I'm a rookie in the game) and I've worked with some good photographers but for some reason I know people that I've meet on here telling me that people contact them for work (mainly ladies) but I'm like why is it so hard for me to find work or even someone to work with. So is there any tips or secrets that people  helps with finding work or getting noticed or just getting people to work. All I need is a chance to shine.

Aug 19 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

J & X Photography

Arlington, Virginia, US

Michael,

I would recommend keep doing TFP work, try and build a portfolio that shows off your face and body better.

Your current avatar just shows steps and you (the model) i.e., the product you are trying to sell is barely discernible.

Same goes for the other pics in your port...for example in your sunglass pic, I can barely see your face because it is hidden by sunglasses and your arms...

best of luck!

Aug 19 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

JimNew

Los Angeles, California, US

I agree with the above response. Also, modeling is a very competitive field, and it's very difficult to make money at it. There are many people who want to do it, and only so many jobs.

I don't think there are "secrets," other than sticking with it and doing whatever you can to get seen and meet people. It's like acting; only a small percentage of actors get good work and make a living at it. That doesn't mean you should give up, but just to understand how challenging an endeavor modeling is.

And as was mentioned, it would help to get some clear, closer-up shots on your MM page.

Good luck!

Aug 19 06 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Photos By Deej

Tumwater, Washington, US

Michael Phillip wrote:
Now I've been modeling for like 6 months (yeah I know I'm a rookie in the game) and I've worked with some good photographers but for some reason I know people that I've meet on here telling me that people contact them for work (mainly ladies) but I'm like why is it so hard for me to find work or even someone to work with. So is there any tips or secrets that people  helps with finding work or getting noticed or just getting people to work. All I need is a chance to shine.

I respond to model's avatar is an eye catcher.  Also, I've contacted models who've posted announcements on the main page.  I also look at what friends a model has to see if there is anyone I might be interested in working with.  I also look at what models have tagged on other people's portfolio's and I've seen models that simply state "I'd like to work with you".   That's my 2cents.

Aug 19 06 07:10 pm Link

Model

Muse Anya

Sunnyvale, California, US

Figure out how you want to market yourself and find the photographers who you'll benefit from the most.  Be active about it, look up photographers in the area, sign up for OMP to see what photogs are traveling where you are.  There are no secrets, it just takes searching and finding.  I decided to be a serious art model two months ago, and I've had quite a few jobs since, mostly contacted by photographers, not vice versa.  How did that work??  I had a few fine art nude images of me to begin with, so those alone in my port caught the attention.  Decide what kind of modeling is most important to you (fashion/editorial/etc), could be several fields of course, and figure out how to market yourself.

Aug 19 06 07:22 pm Link