Forums > General Industry > the miseducation of little brown girls

Photographer

jerrell edwards

Richmond, Virginia, US

*this post nestles itself somewhere between Rant and Rave; please bare with*

So I’m on mid Atlantic coast and I’m noticing a LOT of young models of color are flocking to the "urban glam" style (think "black men's magazine" "Smooth" and any number or rap mags)
We went to the book store and laid out a buncha the mainstream black mags and all of their spreads are the same (girl in thong on car hood/bed/pool table etc) not to mention the over uses of the infamous full on back shot to the slightly more classy full on back shot with girl looking over her shoulder toward the camera
Now I cant lie I’ve taken pics of a back shot or two (always location never studio) and I don’t have a huge problem with them if they are artistic or creative but what’s up?!
Why are so many ppl ducking true fashion/editorial for a style that a lot of photogs are telling girls is fashion (glam is NOT fashion)
I have girls telling me they are doing fashion shots and they are posed bent over with their off the rack dress jacked up to reveal maximum cheekage.
What are the lines and definitions of photo styles anymore?
Can a girl under 5'8 do true "high fashion"
A lot of young white models are doing maxim style glam but an equal number are also doing fashion/casual/editorial (if not more)
However with young black models I see a huge amount doing "booty shots" and very few taking on editorial, fashion, high fashion, couture (not the highly rare true Haute Couture), industrial and alternative.
Any opinions or feedback or points of view are greatly welcome
And please, no bashing.
ENJOY THE MAYHEM!

Aug 18 06 08:22 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Question for you:  Who else is going to hire someone like Buffie other than Smooth/King etc?  She certainly doesn't have the stats for high fashion or even mainstream commercial, so what else is there for her and other models like her who wish to model?  Take me for another example.  I am not your average video looking chick.  I wasn't blessed with any black booty heritage.  I don't have even a whisper of an ass but was once told by a commercial agency that I should either lose three inches off my hips or consider gaining weight and market myself as a plus size model.  So instead of asking a surgeon to saw 3" off my hips (which would have been painful and expensive), I decided to gravitate towards the markets that would embrace my body type. I'm not even 5'8" truly, I will never again weigh 115 lbs and I'll be 23 tomorrow.  Bye bye high fashion!  I'm not very All-American or overly exotic so I can't be part of the Abercrombie or Gucci campaigns.  But dammit I'm sexy and I can do swimwear and lingerie and urban glam until the cows come home and hopefully make a bit of cash and have some fun doing it.  If you would like to find a fashion campaign willing to hire me, I'd be forever grateful, but if not, please don't knock anyone's choice to get in where they fit in.  Thank you and kisses!!!!

Aug 18 06 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

again..we had a month long fight about this !  flames and  name calling, the usual stuff.

Aug 18 06 09:48 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

Uno's right. There's a reason you're not getting many substantive responses to this thread, and that is because we're all tuckered out on the subject.

Aug 18 06 09:51 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Whatever market you fit into is the one you aim for. That simple.

Aug 18 06 10:29 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

Did this horse rise from the dead?  *grabs my stick*

Aug 18 06 10:31 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

where is mhana with the lists??? lol..anyway type in "urban" in the search box.

Aug 19 06 08:20 am Link

Model

Isys Entertainment

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

jerrell edwards wrote:
The miseducation of little brown girls

Aug 19 06 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
again..we had a month long fight about this !  flames and  name calling, the usual stuff.

That was about black girls wasn't it? This is about BROWN ones. Duh!

Aug 20 06 02:02 am Link

Photographer

Christofer Rodriguez

San Bernardino, California, US

Cspine wrote:

...YEAH - YOU TELL EM'...hehe!

Aug 20 06 02:06 am Link

Photographer

Mani - poplifePhoto

Oakland, California, US

Cspine wrote:

bahahahaha.

Aug 20 06 02:10 am Link