Forums > General Industry > Who gets to call the shots?

Makeup Artist

Lou-femi

Alliston, Ontario, Canada

I just got off a shoot with a photographer who doesn't want me to post any pictures that he posts but we created them together. He came up with teh consepts for all but one which I designed. I did all the SPFX/ make-up and even modeled in some of them but he wants me to only post different poses . He also gets first pick since they are 'his photos'

Is this right because I've never had any other photographer make these requests and to be quite honest some of the set ups only have one good shot.

Aug 18 06 08:40 am Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

It all boils down to what you all agreed in the beginning. If nothing was agreed upon before the shoot, you end up  with this situation. Learn from this and move on. Just my thoughts smile

I'll be curious to know what the others will say also.

Aug 18 06 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Did you agree to this prior to shooting or is this a "make it up as you go along" kind of a bullshit? Did you sign a release? I don't have a clue with regards to Canadian copyright laws, anybody?

Aug 18 06 08:46 am Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

Strange.  You'd think the photographer would want his best work shown all over the place, not just on his port.  If he's asking you to put up only the second-rate shots, he's obviously knows very little about marketing.  I'd try to reason with him....tell him you'll be sure to give him credit and that the more spots his great shots are posted, the more people he'll be able to impress.

Aug 18 06 08:50 am Link

Makeup Artist

Lou-femi

Michael L. wrote:
Did you agree to this prior to shooting or is this a "make it up as you go along" kind of a bullshit? Did you sign a release? I don't have a clue with regards to Canadian copyright laws, anybody?

I only signed a model release from for the pictures there was no surrender of my applications. And he pulled it on me after we were done shooting. He is gettig full credits for the pictures he too and the artistic concept for the ones he came up with.

Aug 18 06 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Sounds like he's a dick and I think his request is unreasonable.  Unless he paid you...I guess...I don't know...still sounds like a dick.

Aug 18 06 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

He's an idiot.  The more my images are shown the happier I am, as long as proper credit is given to me as the photographer.  Did he give you copies of the images and now tell you not to use them?

Just the lack of common sense too, why would you do a shoot with him and NOT want to use the images?  Well unless you were paid and then that could be a different story.

Aug 18 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Some "amateur" photographers or GWC's will get embarrassed if one image is on their port and their MUA's or Models as well…… for whatever weird/vain reason.

I say just nod your head in agreement until you get the images then post whatever, whenever and wherever you want big_smile

Aug 18 06 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I don't know about Canada, but in the USA, the photographer would wind up with the copyright for the images (unless you paid him & he signed the copyrights over to you), and he is therefore the one who gets to say where/if the images can/should be posted.

That's the law.  It's a matter of opinion whether the photographer's mother taught him how to share.

Aug 18 06 09:42 am Link

Makeup Artist

Lou-femi

Colford Studios wrote:
He's an idiot.  The more my images are shown the happier I am, as long as proper credit is given to me as the photographer.  Did he give you copies of the images and now tell you not to use them?

Just the lack of common sense too, why would you do a shoot with him and NOT want to use the images?  Well unless you were paid and then that could be a different story.

I wasn't paid and I have a copy of every image to distibute them to all the other models.

Aug 18 06 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

You know, there's getting to be a certain predictability to these threads. WHY oh WHY do so many of you people go out there and do work, and then try to negotiate the details AFTER the work is done?

Business 101 says -- it is always in your best interest, and also is the most ethical practice to negotiate any terms you require BEFORE work commences. After work commences or worse, after it is done, you have given up virtually all of the leverage you have to obtain terms you require.

If you're a makeup artist, I can't imagine why you would shoot TFP unless you get full access to the images for promotional use. If the photographer is unwilling or unable to grant you those usage rights, than the only ethical alternative I can see is for him to compensate you for your time with $$$, instead of images.

Personally, I can think of lots of perfectly good reasons why he wouldn't want you to post any of the images -- but if that is the case, he needs to pay you for your time and materials.

Without knowing all the details and facts, it sounds to me like you need to go back and tell him you either need rights to use all the images promotionally, or he needs to cut you a check for your time. And in the future, don't even open the makeup kit until you have negotiated and received a usage agreement that is acceptable to you.

Regards,
Paul

Aug 18 06 01:15 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Lou-femi wrote:
I wasn't paid and I have a copy of every image to distibute them to all the other models.

well then, time u kept the copies u want for you, and tell him to give to make new ones for the other models (or just make copies of the ones u have). ive never heard anything so stupid as a photographer who doesnt want certain people to have certain shots....its ridiculous.....if hes got any sense at all, he'll want everyone involved in the shoot to only have (and post) the BEST shots....otherwise hes doing himself an injustice by advertising poorer quality work.

i dont understand the 'first choice thing' either, what a tosser! does he give himself a prize if he picks the best ones?

stand up for yourself......and if u have any dramas with him while u are trying to get what is rightfully yours, then dont worry, i wouldnt work with him again if i were u anyway. if he thinks his passion is more important that yours, he doesnt deserve you.

Aug 18 06 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

R Christopher

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I'll play devils advocate and say that I ran into situations where I could have had a photo published but didn't happen b/c the photo was published on the internet. Some places want what is called first rights to an image.

I also personally don't see a point in putting all my best work on the net or both model and photog having the same photos in their port at the same time. Although I wouldn't impose certain rules such as these stated.

But than again I simply just wouldn't give you the photos I didn't want you to have posted so look at the bright side, you have them at least to put in your book

Aug 18 06 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

lose this turkey's number asap

and please, people, get terms agreed beforehand - not AT the shoot either!!! that's just destructive. do it BEFORE you agree to book. get them in writing. make sure they are clear and that you understand them.

you wouldnt take a job at mcdonald's without asking the pay, why do you accept creative assignments without the same level of understanding?

Aug 18 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Make -up artists do not sign "Model" releases.  In my 20 + years shooting I have never heard of this...why and how did you ever get there with this photographer...and were the hell are these people in this industry coming up with all this.

Yes by the laws of copyright, the photographer will always retain ownership, even if the make-up artist and model and anyone else who contributes expense money...they only way for this to become different is that there is a contract written and signed prior to any shoot.  It's simple and how it's done professionally.  But as a make-up artist you are one who needs to be closer to the creative more then anyone else.  It's a family affair and when one is searching for tests on sites like this, then all the rules seem to be rewritten terribly.  A make-up artist is someone who I rely on to enhance and begin my day...they are the front "minutemen" of the shoot...they are the first ones praised and the first ones ridiculed...they get all the shit before anyone else and the blame when one needs to be fired from a production.  Never treat these artists badly.  They are the backbone to any great shoot and if one chooses not to trust their abilities to promote the day's work respectfully, then why work with them at all.

As stated above by another member...work all this out first and be strong in what you want.  If that means creating contract..with in reason please, then just be friends and make a great image and show the world.  The only time there are restrictions is when a client is invovled...the only thing in life that is not negotiabel is our last breath...otherwise, be smart.

with kindness,
PixelFisher

Aug 18 06 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

gavin oneill wrote:
well then, time u kept the copies u want for you, and tell him to give to make new ones for the other models (or just make copies of the ones u have). ive never heard anything so stupid as a photographer who doesnt want certain people to have certain shots....its ridiculous.....if hes got any sense at all, he'll want everyone involved in the shoot to only have (and post) the BEST shots....otherwise hes doing himself an injustice by advertising poorer quality work.

i dont understand the 'first choice thing' either, what a tosser! does he give himself a prize if he picks the best ones?

stand up for yourself......and if u have any dramas with him while u are trying to get what is rightfully yours, then dont worry, i wouldnt work with him again if i were u anyway. if he thinks his passion is more important that yours, he doesnt deserve you.

Although we may not agree with the photographer you must keep in mind:
1. You should not advocate theft and copyright infringement.
2. We do not know the whole [impartial] story.
3. All this sounds like trying to bang out conditions after the fact. Next time, the OP should establish all terms before any work takes place.

Most importantly, he has the right to control his copyrighted creations so whether he wants to release second rate work or bottom of the barrel work that is his business. Unless he is breaching an oral/written contract he is fully within his rights.

Now the third bold point is a little more sensible.
Next time get all terms up front and then decide on whether to take the job or not.

Aug 18 06 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Wade Henderson

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

Pixel Fisher wrote:
Yes by the laws of copyright, the photographer will always retain ownership, even if the make-up artist and model and anyone else who contributes expense money...they only way for this to become different is that there is a contract written and signed prior to any shoot.

True in the US. Not necessarily true in Canada. That's where they are.

Aug 18 06 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I have a hybrid woodchipper you can borrow.

Aug 18 06 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Yuriy wrote:
Now the third bold point is a little more sensible.
Next time get all terms up front and then decide on whether to take the job or not.

but i gotta wonder, under what possible rationale, does he have the desire to prevent all the people that worked with him, some who may have even put in more effort that him, from also using the best shots from the shoot??? im not contesting that he has the right do do whatever he wants, but why on earth would someone do that?
i understand photographers saying that m-up artists and models can only choose the same shots he does, coz thats what i do, but its a time thing, where if im going to spend time retouching things and doing proof prints and things, i dont want 47 different prints to do, i want to cut it down to the best ones, and let everybody have the same pics.....and i take the opinions of the crew into account when im choosing my pics, so everyone is generally happy.

why is 'talking about this before the shoot' even an issue??? talking about what? arent we all in this for the same thing, to create and share and celebrate our collaborations and efforst?this is clearly an ego thing for him, and he needs to be left to work with talentless people who have no self respect.  the guys is an ass, period.

Aug 18 06 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Pixel Fisher wrote:
Make -up artists do not sign "Model" releases.  In my 20 + years shooting I have never heard of this...why and how did you ever get there with this photographer...and were the hell are these people in this industry coming up with all this.

FYI, she said she also modeled for some of the photos as well as having acted as a make-up artist.

I have often wondered what the exact ramifications are in Canada on copyright.  Their situation is different than in the U.S.  In the states, the photographer always holds the copyright, unless it was a work for hire.

In Canada, if you pay a photographer to shoot you, it is you, not the photographer that owns the copyright.  It is backwards from here.

What I find interesting is in a TFP, the service of each party is a form of payment to the other.  I have no idea how that would fall into Canadian law.   I don't intend to speculate.

But it is interesing.  A model might argue that she paid the photographer with in-kind services, i.e. modeling.  I have no idea.  I haven't read the statutes, but I did do a little quick research and could find no Canadian cases on copyright and TFP (I doubt that any would get to an appellate court since there really isn't a lot of money involved).

Interesting question though.

To the OP, always negotiate in advance, not after the job is over.

Aug 18 06 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Perhaps I should pay a bit more attention in the future...OH Canada!

Aug 18 06 05:17 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

StudioMona wrote:
It all boils down to what you all agreed in the beginning. If nothing was agreed upon before the shoot, you end up  with this situation. Learn from this and move on. Just my thoughts smile

I'll be curious to know what the others will say also.

Sometimes harsh to learn but true.

Aug 19 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Photos By Deej

Tumwater, Washington, US

Lou-femi wrote:
I just got off a shoot with a photographer who doesn't want me to post any pictures that he posts but we created them together. He came up with teh consepts for all but one which I designed. I did all the SPFX/ make-up and even modeled in some of them but he wants me to only post different poses . He also gets first pick since they are 'his photos'

Is this right because I've never had any other photographer make these requests and to be quite honest some of the set ups only have one good shot.

Every photographer has the own quirks and that's not one of mine.  However, if I model I photographed posts a picture I already have posted I will change the one I have posted to a different pose or setting for variety sake.  I know I don't like going to photographer's portfolio and seeing a great shot of a model and then click on the model link and see the exact same shot.  The reason I click on the model link is to see something different. 

In your case I don't know if it's a question of right or wrong it just is.  Hopefully, you were made aware of this beforehand.  If not, then this will set the standard for you to ask at future photoshoots.  Every photoshoot is a learning and growing experience or at least it can be.  Believe me I've learned a lot as models have their own quirks too.  It's a part of this business I don't favor but it comes with the territory.

Aug 19 06 07:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lou-femi

Pixel Fisher wrote:

Here I will defend him. the release form was signed because he had me double as a model for time when a model pulled a no-show.

Aug 23 06 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

bang bang photo wrote:
Business 101 says -- it is always in your best interest, and also is the most ethical practice to negotiate any terms you require BEFORE work commences. After work commences or worse, after it is done, you have given up virtually all of the leverage you have to obtain terms you require.

Regards,
Paul

Right, right, right!....Seems people get photography confused with business.

I ALWAYS spell out exactly what, who, where and when BEFORE I even take the lens cap off. It's difficult to be creative when you have to wonder who's going to sue you.

I think most everyone here needs some business courses rather than modeling school or photography seminars. The most important thing I ever did was take Business Administration in college. Photography I learned on my own.

Aug 23 06 03:02 pm Link