Forums > General Industry > How would you feel if someone re-shot your pictures

Photographer

Classic Images by Jeff

San Jacinto, California, US

How would you feel if someone re-shot one of your pictures. would you take it as a complement or would you feel like they were ripping you off?

Aug 17 06 12:54 pm Link

Model

MsHeidi

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

It depends if it turned out better!!

smile

Aug 17 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Doesn't matter.. I get ideas from other photographers.. so if someone wants to use mine as inspiration is a compliment..

I have had ppl try to copy exact images.. and is funny.. smile cuz if they get a better shot than me.. then great for them.. and if they dont then is funnier..

Aug 17 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Blackfeather One Photo

Winthrop, Maine, US

It All Depends On Location To Me Lol If The Photographer Is Far Away All The Power to Them If They Are In The Same Area And Copying Many Of My Ideas Then It Becomes A Problem, Because They Are Marketing For The Same Clientelle. Everything Else Is Really Academic smile

Aug 17 06 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Classic Images by Jeff wrote:
How would you feel if someone re-shot one of your pictures. would you take it as a complement or would you feel like they were ripping you off?

You mean stole the concept or actually took a picture of a picture?

If you line up 10 photographers with the same camera at the same settings in front of the same subject you'll get 10 totally different pictures.

If you take a picture of someone else’s picture, that's plagiarism and copyright violations, which as my portfolio copyright notice states is punishable by an ass kicking big_smile

Aug 17 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Rocke Photography

Dallas, Texas, US

Dax wrote:
Doesn't matter.. I get ideas from other photographers.. so if someone wants to use mine as inspiration is a compliment..

I have had ppl try to copy exact images.. and is funny.. smile cuz if they get a better shot than me.. then great for them.. and if they dont then is funnier..

Agree!

Aug 17 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Rocke Photography

Dallas, Texas, US

C R Photography wrote:

... is punishable by an ass kicking big_smile

That's funny stuff!

Aug 17 06 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Classic Images by Jeff

San Jacinto, California, US

just copied your shot

Aug 17 06 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I would be flattered.  All of us are inspired by others in some form or fashion.  It would be great to know that I inspired someone else. 

Of course, it would be annoying if someone was deliberately copying every single image in my profile, but that is another story.

Aug 17 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Ian L Sitren

Palm Springs, California, US

It has happened. But I find that the copycats usually don't put the resources into the work that I do. No MUA or hairstylist, not quite right model for the shoot etc.

I had one photographer copy a shoot that I did for a "fitness" related company. Even purchased the same logo wear that I was provided with. What I found most surprising was that the model was not even close to being a fitness model, actually a little chubby for the job and certainly no muscle tone. Ever since then I don't pay these things much attention.

Aug 17 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

What is the old addage... Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

A photographer who has developed his own unique style is hard to immitate or replicate. Thinking about the great one's like Avedon, Newton, Weber their work has an indelible mark that is truly their own and set's them apart from the others.

Of course people will try to copy them, but it's like the fake Louis Vuitton purses they sell on Canal street, close examination reveals the flaws.

Aug 17 06 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Every single person who does a reclining nude on a couch is copying some Roman Fresco painter from 2300 years ago. How many times do you think it's been done by now?

Aug 17 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Has it all been done already? Maybe, maybe not, however most of my set up fashion shots come from what I have already seen from other photographers or works. Usually I find all my inspiration from websites such as www.jedroot.com. As far as someone copying my work, I guess they would really be copying someone elses work and so on. I'd be flattered all the same. big_smile

In other words....if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's working for the real world pros, it's good enough for me too.

Aug 17 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

I have shot test and the comapny has sent in a snooty snidy photog to reshoot the idea elsewhere.
If you pay me...life is an open book.

Aug 17 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

i once had a model complain to me about the experience she had with another photographer.
not only had he made her extremely uncomfortable with his borderline-suggestive comments and actions, but the hundreds and hundreds of pictures he took were pure rubbish. the in-camera flash, the lack of focus, the crap lighting... she just wasn't pleased with any aspect of the experience.

so she came to me and asked me to re-shoot them all, same wardrobe and props, better color backgrounds and natural lighting.

we ended up taking about 1/5 as many pictures, ended up with a high percentage of successful useable shots, and still had time for beer and pizza before she had to go back home.

Aug 17 06 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

terminated user

Henderson, Nevada, US

Flattered

Even more flattered if they mentioned using my shots as inspiration!

Jealous if they become rich and famous because of it! LOL

Aug 17 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

What?  How would I feel if someone actually paid attention to my work and found it inspiring enough to go out and shoot?  How would I feel if someone said "Wow, that's such a good idea I want to try it myself!"  How would I feel to know that my work or style motivated others to improve or imitate?  How would I feel about that?!

I wouldn't like that one bit.  Talentless little fuckers...

Aug 17 06 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

just copied your shot

This is copyright infringement. If you registered your picture, you can use that as a legal leverage. Otherwise... you are screwed.

Aug 17 06 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Thyronne

Huntington Beach, California, US

I once shot a brand new male model and did this trippy cross processed off kilter sever point of view shot.  Before the year was out a vodka company was running ads with the same shot, the same styling, the same film technique and the same model.  I was pissed.  I looked into legal action but was told I couldn't prove anything since my photo was never published and had only been seen in mine, the model's and stylist's book.  I finally had to pull the image out of my book because people kept saying, " oh, you copied that ad, even the model looks the same."

Aug 17 06 08:50 pm Link

Model

Earth Angel 555

i get pissed.. thats my initial reaction, but then i settle down and realize that it's pretty flattering.

Aug 17 06 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Prairie Town Production

Topeka, Kansas, US

We all learn at different rates.

jon mmmayhem wrote:
i once had a model complain to me about the experience she had with another photographer.
not only had he made her extremely uncomfortable with his borderline-suggestive comments and actions, but the hundreds and hundreds of pictures he took were pure rubbish. the in-camera flash, the lack of focus, the crap lighting... she just wasn't pleased with any aspect of the experience.

so she came to me and asked me to re-shoot them all, same wardrobe and props, better color backgrounds and natural lighting.

we ended up taking about 1/5 as many pictures, ended up with a high percentage of successful useable shots, and still had time for beer and pizza before she had to go back home.

Aug 17 06 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

GC Photos

Orlando, Florida, US

I dont really try to copy but unless I get to the moon for some far out spacey shots there are just too many damn photogs here in florida with the same ideas.....I am going to BFE to shoot...toodles!

Aug 17 06 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

Larry E. Hayes wrote:
We all learn at different rates.

very true.
this guy, however, has been at it for a long time, and it kinda gave me a giddy charge that my inexperienced self could pull these shots off better than he could with all his fancy equipment...

Aug 17 06 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Deep Shadows Pictures

Hurst, Texas, US

The only way I would be upset is if they did EXACTLY what I did. I get ideas from other photogs all the time. But I put my own style into it. What photog doesn't..

Aug 17 06 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

It happens... 

You can copyright an IMAGE, but not an idea...

If you like the Abercrombie ads and copy them, there is nothing Abercrombie can do about it. 

To actualy DUPLICATE the pic is illegal...unless it's a parody!

Aug 17 06 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

the extreme compliment is it not a tip of the hat to your work when another covets, is aroused

Aug 17 06 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

Hamza wrote:
It happens... 

You can copyright an IMAGE, but not an idea...

If you like the Abercrombie ads and copy them, there is nothing Abercrombie can do about it. 

To actualy DUPLICATE the pic is illegal...unless it's a parody!

On my way to thinking of how to address this thread....whalla.  I couldn't agree more.

Aug 17 06 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

If it was one of the images in your port I would just figure that they had looked at the same old school pin-up glamour photos you are emulating. In other words, maybe they are copying Peter Gowland and photographers whose styles are similar to him. Don't be insulted, you've done nice work but where is the original idea?

Aug 17 06 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Satan Bug

Hell, Nord-Trøndelag, Norway

Doesn't matter.  Each eye has a different way of seeing things.

Aug 17 06 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

global vision

Bowling Green, Ohio, US

says something about the other persons lack of originality and lack of creativity....if its just another photog doing it for himself....ya got to feel sorry for them i guess.....or perhaps they are just having a really dry spell and needed a boost in their inspiration
...but of course my fav is when a company sees your work and then sends out a staffer to shoot what you have already done so they dont have to pay you....gettyesque ya know....that pisses me

Aug 18 06 01:41 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

first show me an original idea then we can discuss the pros and cons of 'copying'

Aug 18 06 01:44 am Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

Art begets art...

The term reference library ring a bell?

Aug 18 06 01:54 am Link

Photographer

malik m.l. williams

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thyronne wrote:
I finally had to pull the image out of my book because people kept saying, " oh, you copied that ad, even the model looks the same."

Now THAT sux.

Aug 18 06 02:02 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

When I taught photography I had the students try to copy EXACTLY as possible wotk of photographers they admired. Now they never could get it perfect but they learned a lot in the trying. And then, the good ones, took what they had learned and made it work for their own style that they were developing. And as the Old Guy Said...show me an original concept and then we will talk. Ansel Adams/ try Watkins. He was first. And today there are a host who may even be better than either. At LEAST as good. Are they theifs/ or just good students of history.
Mike

Aug 18 06 02:18 am Link

Photographer

SunSpotPhotography

Wheeling, West Virginia, US

I thought maybe this thread was going to be about a scenario something like this:

Model comes to you, you set up a photo shoot (and all the details such as location, wardrobe, poses, lighting, etc), you do the shoot.  Model then finds another photographer, uses YOUR photos as a point of reference for an identical shoot (same details YOU set up), the new photographer does the shoot, model uses photos produced by 2nd photographer.

Basically, I envisioned the question being about someone hijacking your vision.  For instance, a photographer with superior equipment but no vision might be able to produce higher quality pictures than a photographer with amazing vision and poor equipment.  Basically, in the scenario I envisioned, the photographer with all the vision would be essentially responsible for a fantastic photo shoot but would end up getting no credit for it because technically, photographer #2 did the shoot for the final product.

Am I making sense?  Do you see how this could suck?  If something like this were to happen, would photographer 1 have any course of action against the model or photographer 2 for basically stealing his or her vision?

Just curious,
- Hamilton

Aug 18 06 02:20 am Link

Model

Mary Domingo

I'd feel a little angry but it also comes off being a compliment... *it just shows how great your work is...

Aug 18 06 02:25 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Photo by Wolf 189 MM #25261

https://gallery.photo.net/photo/3088062-md.jpg

Ad done by American Express afterward (for full thread go here: https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=50574 ):

https://www.commercialcloset.org/images/data/COMCLOSET_PICS/picture/10298.JPG

I know which side of your question I would think.

Aug 18 06 05:51 am Link

Photographer

MoJo40

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I can see both sides of the coin, but many photographers can really say their work in unique?

Aug 18 06 06:03 am Link

Photographer

MoJo40

Baltimore, Maryland, US

btw:  Never play cards with dogs... They bite you when they lose...  :-)~

Aug 18 06 06:05 am Link

Photographer

GW Burns

Sarasota, Florida, US

I have always felt that if they are copying yesterdays work then they will always be behind so I dont worry about that!  It is one of the reasons I seldom look at others ports, as I dont want the work of another photographer influencing my own images, even if it is subconscience.  I once took a picture of two girls kissing and one of them biting the lip of the other and posted it and unknowingly a good friend became irate cause he had a similar picture on his port.  I said look two girls kissing isnt exactly an original idea for anyone and to get upset about it is kind of dumb when ya think that shot has been done millions of times before he ever shot it.  There are so few truly original ideas that no one should ever get upset if they see a similarity in an image.  Sad to say but 99.9 percent of the work you see has already been done before in one way or another.

Aug 18 06 06:09 am Link