Forums > General Industry > TAGS: Which to you give more credence too?

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

I don't get too many tags, but I do appreciate them none-the-less.

The question I have is:

As a Model do you give more credence to tags from Photographers or from your Peers? Are they just saying something to you to get your attention, or are the sincere.

As a Photographer, do you give more credence to tags from Models or from your Peers? Are they just saying something to you to get your attention, or are the sincere.

Though I appreciate all Tags, I appreciate those from my Peers most.

What about you?

Mark

P.S. I am not talking about the quality of the Tag, but about Tags in general.

Aug 17 06 09:22 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I give the most credence to those taggers who have the most outstanding and professional ports.

Simply, because they are often at a highly accomplished level and usually don't tag for tagging sake, which gives it more meaning.

Photographer vs. model?

I don't really care, because if a model has a ton of tearsheets, jetted and shot all over the world and was in national ad campaigns, that means that she also worked with a ton of photographers and is quite qualified to give "educated props"... wink

Aug 17 06 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

I give most crdence to the tags that say
"I love your work, and I want to have your baby".

Unfortunatly I havent had any of them yet smile

Aug 17 06 09:29 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Besides tags, I get from every few months messages from very mediocre photographers, with very average images and a lucky shot (one nice photo) in their portfolio, who try to insult me and my work.

Those beginners are unable to make any distinction in photographic styles etc., and feel it necessary to belittle me. I am just glad that I work with companies who value what I do for them and that my income is not depending on some amateurs opinion... LOL

Those guys make me grin.

Aug 17 06 10:24 am Link

Photographer

West Images

Sacramento, California, US

TAGS....What are TAGS???  (I have only but a few.)

Ummm......Udor.....People need to start somewhere.

My God!!!  You ARE a New Yorker aren't you!   WOW!  BTW....Very Nice work!

Aug 17 06 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Mike Kelcher

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Tags are nice, but that's about all they are. In your initial question, you mentioned a number or reasons why people could possibly tag others. My advice is, don't put a lot of emphasis on tags.  Don't use them as a "yardstick" to measure how you are doing. Don't feel like if you only have a few, you must suck.  Also, don't feel that because you have a lot, you are really good...you might just be popular, and, there is a difference. 

Tags are mostly like two strangers passing on the sidewalk in Smallville USA. As they pass, they smile and say "nice hat", "hello", "hi", or something similar.  In actuality they might just want to be friendly, they might want to jump in your bed, or they might really think you have a nice hat.  Chances are the people who get the most tags, are on this site nearly 24/7.  That's great if you're collecting tags, but if they worked, (really worked hard),  at their profession, half that much, they'd be far better off.

My advice, is do your thing and keep doing it.  If you constantly seek reassurance that you are on the right road, you won't get too far.  Chances are, you already know your strengths and weaknesses and based on those alone, you have your work fairly clearly laid out before you, so, do it. Plan your work and work your plan like a professional would.  If you want to know where your heart is....it's where your mind goes when it wanders.

Aug 17 06 10:42 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

WestImages wrote:
TAGS....What are TAGS???  (I have only but a few.)

Ummm......Udor.....People need to start somewhere.

My God!!!  You ARE a New Yorker aren't you!   WOW!  BTW....Very Nice work!

Thanks for the compliment! smile

Actually, I always help new people out and never belittle them.

There are many occasions where I enable new colleagues to enter events (including fashionshows) where they wouldn't have any access to otherwise.

But, obnoxious comments from people who shouldn't diss other peoples work is something that is sometimes amusing, sometimes annoying.

Aug 17 06 10:46 am Link

Model

Manda Mercure

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

i appreciate any tag that goes beyond 'hi, you;re hot, would love to shoot you  sometime.'

i'd rather have comments on specific shots that i have, inluding what they like and what i could improve on.

i try to not tag or comment unless i have something meaningful and constructive to say, or even just a compliment.

Aug 17 06 11:14 am Link