Forums > General Industry > My first stolen! or Not?

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

Okay, I have an image that I shot with an actor.  This was a paid shoot and the actor is a celebrity and there was a client who was paying for the shoot.  Randomly, I thought about the actor and checked out their website for their show and there is the image, and very large without my or the clients conscent (Yes I did check, but my agreement with the client was that I kept the copyright anyway.)

Now, let me just say that in the end it is hard to throw a fit over the subject using an image of themself, but after he (or his creative team) cut it out (removing my logo), no credit listed anywhere, and using it for their website (commercially to promote their show) I feel a bit disturbed.

What’s worst, I would have probably given a high quality version of the image to him for only the credit to remain listed.  Its like sitting on a whoopee cushion, funny, but at my expense.

I am not going to do anything extreme for many reasons, but I was wondering your thoughts. 
M

Aug 17 06 01:40 am Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

MalameelPhotography wrote:
I am not going to do anything extreme for many reasons, but I was wondering your thoughts. 
M

Do you have a release from the actor? Then sell the picture to as many clients (as long as you don't break your initial contract with the original client)! The actor will suddenly remember who did the pictures ;-)

Aug 17 06 01:45 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

sounds like a lawsuit goldmine to me.

Aug 17 06 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Billy Pegram

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Welcome to commercial photography.  They probabley didn't want your logo conflicting with the client.  You really have to negotigate hard to get photo credit on commercial projects.  When you get to the point that it benefits the client you won't see it.  I was shooting a calendar and the client freeked when I shot a butt shot of the model with their logo on a gun holster.  He was verbally insulting...like we will never use that...that is almost perverted etc.  That shot ended up as their main ad shot and they painted it 40' tall on the side of their building. Of course I didn't get paid for their ad. If I invoice them  I would never work for them again.  Sometimes just smile.

Aug 17 06 01:52 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

there should have been a limited use license provided someone (client at least. others if agreed)

these licenses should include credit and copyright notice requirments.

unless you are an extremely well known photographer, you aren't going to get away with placing a logo on the image or even a visible copyright notice. however, a text credit and some statement about copyright should be present. as celeb sites are generally put together and maintained on a shoestring, though, its not always the case.

in no case may someone alter your image without permission, so the removal of copyright/logo is evil. but your placing it there in the first place could be questioned.

there are some good books on legal documents for photographers.

questions... how was it that the client agreed to your logo on the images? & how did the subject get the images?

Aug 17 06 01:54 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Dave Wright Photo wrote:

dont get started on the lawsuits. geesh. you guys are somethin. this is not anywhere near a lawsuit goldmine.

Aug 17 06 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

oldguysrule wrote:
how did the subject get the images?

Tres bonne question smile

Aug 17 06 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

Okay, since you guys didn't read (and I guess I need to clarify) I do have a signed released form that clearly stated that I retain full rights to the images.

In a seperate agreement, I allow the original client to use the image at will. 

However, the ACTOR removed my logo, (the client, uses my services for all their advertising anyway, did everything right.)  The client and actor are two different people.

The actor has no rights to the image and signed as such.

M

Aug 17 06 02:00 am Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

Jean-Philippe Martin wrote:

Tres bonne question smile

Could be off the web, I have it on my website, here and a few places to show case my work.  Also, there have been some advertisnment posters from the original client.  I never gave him a digital copy.  He may have gotten a poster or something, but I do not know.  I tried searching for it on the web and I cannot find it.
M

Aug 17 06 02:03 am Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

If you have the release, just go friendly and ask them if they want a better quality picture for their website but you need them to have a copyright notice as they may get the picture stolen and then you could not do anything if it is used in a way that is a prejudice to the actor's career.
I recently have used those words for a kid actor that was posting online pictures of herself without a copyright notice. She took care of it quickly.

Aug 17 06 02:16 am Link

Model

Mary Domingo

Los Angeles, California, US

Dave Wright Photo wrote:

I agree...

Aug 17 06 02:28 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

lol i'm so glad i don't rely on MM for legal advice

Aug 17 06 02:32 am Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

oldguysrule wrote:
lol i'm so glad i don't rely on MM for legal advice

I am going to sue everyone on MM for giving me wrong legal advices wink Is this a good idea?

Aug 17 06 02:34 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Mary Pham wrote:
I agree...

OP mentioned a client paid for the shoot. Unless they breached an agreement, you can't sue them for anything. Most clients that paid for a photo don't want anybody's logo but theirs on the photo. If a use agreement specifies a credit, copyright or flaming pink flamingos on the photo - that's different.

And if the photo is used by the client that paid for the photo - it's not stolen, it may be modified and just not credited.

Aug 17 06 02:40 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Jean-Philippe Martin wrote:

I am going to sue everyone on MM for giving me wrong legal advices wink Is this a good idea?

lol... just leave me off the complaint, Jean-Philippe

Aug 17 06 02:43 am Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
And if the photo is used by the client that paid for the photo - it's not stolen, it may be modified and just not credited.

People, you don't read? I am so going to sue you tongue
The client is NOT the problem.
The problem is the PERSON IN THE PICTURE!

I suggest hiring a hacker and replacing the picture with one where a red nose has been added onto the face of the actor.... okay I am delirious time to go to bed
tongue

Aug 17 06 02:49 am Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

Its really amazing that people do not read at least the first post and yet they are still formed and opinion, a backlash, and drafted papers for a lawsuit.
M

Aug 17 06 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Carpe Imago Photography

Dousman, Wisconsin, US

Its really amazing that people do not read at least the first post and yet they are still formed and opinion, a backlash, and drafted papers for a lawsuit.
M

It's just harder to fly off the handle and make half ass comments if you know all the facts!  Don't you get that?  Do you want to take away all our fun?!

(yes, that is sarcasm.)

In this situation, what happens if the paying client (who we've established owns the right to use the image) allows the actor to use it at no fee.  Obviously the actor still is in the wrong for changing the image, via copyright infringement, but is it technically unlicensed use?

Aug 17 06 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

M

We read, we just don’t retain. Stop making your story’s so damn long smile

Aug 17 06 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Sanders

Los Angeles, California, US

Okay, I have an image that I shot with an actor.  This was a paid shoot and the actor is a celebrity and there was a client who was paying for the shoot.  Randomly, I thought about the actor and checked out their website for their show and there is the image, and very large without my or the clients conscent (Yes I did check, but my agreement with the client was that I kept the copyright anyway.)

Mark,

Please understand there is a great difference between ''rights or copyright'' and ''license.'' Because you created the image you automatically own copyright, no one can take that from you. They may violate your copyright, but they can't keep you from owning the rights to the image. Now, they may also violate the license or agreement and it appears this is what has happened, but your explanation is vague as to whom or what was breeched.

Who was the client? What was the original shot for? Show, what show? You are not explaining what they are violating other than not giving you credit. If someone paid you and there is no license or contract in place stipulating your credit priority, then you haven't a leg to stand on.

I am confused.

You have no lawsuit so put that thought to bed. Oldguysrule is absolutely right, this is not a time to start counting bullets and cleaning guns.

::r::

Aug 17 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Telephoto Studio

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Billy Pegram wrote:
Welcome to commercial photography.  They probabley didn't want your logo conflicting with the client.  You really have to negotigate hard to get photo credit on commercial projects.  When you get to the point that it benefits the client you won't see it.  I was shooting a calendar and the client freeked when I shot a butt shot of the model with their logo on a gun holster.  He was verbally insulting...like we will never use that...that is almost perverted etc.  That shot ended up as their main ad shot and they painted it 40' tall on the side of their building. Of course I didn't get paid for their ad. If I invoice them  I would never work for them again.  Sometimes just smile.

So if I come to where you live and steal money out of your pocket - that is OK? 

Is this client worth working for if they steal your work? 

Why not call them and ask them about the additional usage?  Ask them if they thought the rights they purchased were for one-time usage, or for all rights?  Perhaps they just forgot to send you a check?  ;-)

Aug 17 06 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

You're right, nobody reads, as the post above illustrates.

However, that still doesn't mean that you have a lawsuit, or even much of a complaint.  It's common for celebrities to take pictures of themselves and use them on fan sites.  Technically a violation, yes.  Actionable in court?  Good luck.

It's also, as noted above, not customary for a photo credit to be given when a celebrity uses a picture.  Get over it.

What losses did you suffer as a result of this?

Aug 17 06 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

oldguysrule wrote:

dont get started on the lawsuits. geesh. you guys are somethin. this is not anywhere near a lawsuit goldmine.

Is it possible that it might be a lawsuit copper mine, or perhaps a legalistic borax deposit, or quite possibly an actionable infestation of lice, or is it even on a par with the guano tort mines on that silly island somewhere in a large body of water where the dictator is selling off the potash and keeping the money for himself and the island will be out of potash or guano or oh wait its bat shit before the islanders know they've lost their only exportable asset and he takes off and lives happily ever after in NYC in a condo next to howard stern. That's what it is, a batshit lawsuit mine.

Aug 17 06 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

Carpe Imago Photography wrote:
It's just harder to fly off the handle and make half ass comments if you know all the facts!  Don't you get that?  Do you want to take away all our fun?!

(yes, that is sarcasm.)

Best comment yet!

Carpe Imago Photography wrote:
In this situation, what happens if the paying client (who we've established owns the right to use the image) allows the actor to use it at no fee.  Obviously the actor still is in the wrong for changing the image, via copyright infringement, but is it technically unlicensed use?

1) The Actor now is using the image to promote his show on his website (maybe more).  This is not a fan site but the offical show website as I have said.  The actor has no rights for this image.  They signed away all rights in a full media buyout with a release form prepared by a lawyer. 

2) I own the image (license and copyright), I license it to the original client to allow them to use if for advertising that they get through me.  Their license does not allow them to transfer it or even access to it with another advertising agency. 

3) THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH THE CLIENT and they were willing to legally support this fact (that they didn't past the image along) if I wish. 

4) You guys (Okay I will be nice... MOST OF YOU GUYS) are simply amazing.  How can you post with even trying to read the entire original post.

Oh never mind, I might as well finish this conversation with a mirror.  At least I can see my pretty face.

Aug 17 06 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The actor has no rights for this image.  They signed away all rights in a full media buyout with a release form prepared by a lawyer.

Granted, a lot of "not reading" was done in this thread, but the quotation above illustrates why it's hard to see what the situation really is.

Since a model typically has no rights to an image, it isn't clear what "signing them away" means.  "Full buyout" is language used to indicate the rights granted to a client to use an image.  It in no way takes any rights away from the model - he just gives them to the client (or you) as well.  The fact that a client has a "full buyout" does not in any way limit use of the image by the model (or anyone else).

If the client has purchased the exclusive right to use a picture (which is not the same thing as a "full buyout") then the client has a legitimate beef against the model. 

All of the above strange use of terminology by you makes it really hard to interpret what your situation really is.

But a question is still on the table:  how did he get it in the first place?  You never answered that.

Aug 17 06 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Granted, a lot of "not reading" was done in this thread, but the quotation above illustrates why it's hard to see what the situation really is.

But a question is still on the table:  how did he get it in the first place?  You never answered that.

arrgghhh....

Could be off the web, I have it on my website, here and a few places to show case my work.  Also, there have been some advertisnment posters from the original client.  I never gave him a digital copy.  He may have gotten a poster or something, but I do not know.  I tried searching for it on the web and I cannot find it.
M

Like I said, I do not know how he actually did get the image.  It is on my website, and places like here.  The image was never given to him, nor licenced to him.  If he got it off the web, then he (or his team) found it and then copied it from there, or he (or his team) actually removed it from one the advertising materials that it was licenced for.

A full media buy out means, and explained in the rlease, that I have exclusive rights to the image, or any collected in our shoot, to use as I please including commercial advertising to my clients.  The actor signed that I have this right forever, and then I am licencing the image to my client.

I am not only a photographer, but I own an advertising firm which is why I have lawyers to update the release forms per project and to make sure these medias are clearly owned by my company.

If he was using the image for a fan site, I would be flattered, but using it on a commercial website sucks when I am not credited.

What did I lose?  The potential revenue or exposure from a properly licenced image would give me.  I am not in the buisness of working so somebody can profit off my work without sharing the love.

Aug 17 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Could have been easier if you stated all that detail at first.

Sound like the model just didn't understand the agreement they signed or the agreement wasn't clear. Kinda like the models that get paid and expect to get prints and CDs? Or the model could have thought of it as a tearsheet or part of their resume - more typical with actors than models. But the heavy commercial use becomes an issue.

You need to talk to them and explain your reasoning. You can nicely offer him a reasonable price for licensing it for use (with credit). How well did you pay this model for the buy out? If you paid well and have a very strongly stipulated contract - is it worth going to court?

Aug 18 06 12:14 pm Link