Forums > General Industry > Unprofessional stylists, photographers, and models

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

I know this is a badly beaten hourse, and there are many threads about flacky models and GWCs, but I haven't seen one about stylists.  I sent out many, many, many (because we can't do a mass mailing yet), casting calls and posts in Stylists and Casting Calls in two states plus individual emails to many stylists and I know the emails are read, but very few even responded with 'no thanks' or 'I'm busy" or anything.  Some were great and we got an excellent one, but If stylists are not serious about their trade, they need to get get professional or get off MM. I know I email, meet, call to all models.  Stylists need to do the same or take their sites off of MM if they're not serious about their work. I have more important things to do than to deal with flacky MM stylists  Get professional people or get off MM!

Any other similar horror stories?

/tim

Aug 16 06 09:30 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

i had a makeup artist do a no call no show! sad it was the first time I had booked one, and I wasnt prepared to do my own makeup.  I ended up shooting with no makeup sad 

ahh well, you live and learn.

Aug 16 06 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

I think that your work has to be something that the MUA feels will help their career, same as us. They may not see that in your style. I have had more MUA's respond to my requests than I could use. All very good at what they do. There has to be mutual benefit to all involved as in any deal.
I can't speak for your part of the planet but NYC is all good in this respect.
I love MUA's

Aug 16 06 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
I think that your work has to be something that the MUA feels will help their career, same as us. They may not see that in your style. I have had more MUA's respond to my requests than I could use. All very good at what they do. There has to be mutual benefit to all involved as in any deal.
I can't speak for your part of the planet but NYC is all good in this respect.
I love MUA's

I'd agree, but I get emails all the time wanting business (and we do a lot of paid business) and we shoot with one who is unfortunately on vacation but around my area, it's a neightmare.  I pay well, too ... I love our MUA, but the unprofessional ones I cannot recommend.

Cheers, Tim

Aug 16 06 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

I hear that. You gotta get out of there and head east my son. Turn off the lights close the gas main and load up the wagon. Think Farm Security Administration images.

Aug 17 06 07:16 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

Tim Baker wrote:
I know this is a badly beaten hourse, and there are many threads about flacky models and GWCs, but I haven't seen one about stylists.  I sent out many, many, many (because we can't do a mass mailing yet), casting calls and posts in Stylists and Casting Calls in two states plus individual emails to many stylists and I know the emails are read, but very few even responded with 'no thanks' or 'I'm busy" or anything.  Some were great and we got an excellent one, but If stylists are not serious about their trade, they need to get get professional or get off MM. I know I email, meet, call to all models.  Stylists need to do the same or take their sites off of MM if they're not serious about their work. I have more important things to do than to deal with flacky MM stylists  Get professional people or get off MM!

Any other similar horror stories?

/tim

If you want "unprofessional stylists" - go have a look at all the cattiness and hatefulness over at the Stylists Chat forum!

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Aug 17 06 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

For me, the horror stories all involve stylists/muas that actually showed up.  That's when the trouble starts.

Aug 17 06 07:30 am Link

Photographer

Ian L Sitren

Palm Springs, California, US

I have been lucky. I have one MUA who has worked with me for close to three years. Reliable, personable, does great work. And he has been training another MUA and she is working out great too.

They are both paid and I have generated some significant amount of tear sheets. But finding other MUA's for a quick fill in locally or around the country has been a dismal effort.

So for all you MUA's, if I send you an e-mail about your work or respond to you, I am interested, you might want to follow up, I will not chase you. I will want to meet you first or at least talk before I use you. I will probably want to try you out first but I will pay you a fee for your troubles, kit fee etc.

And I really expect an MUA, hairstylist or associated people to have good habits. If you are going to show up in sweats, pimply faced and a rat's nest of hair, stay home please. That does not fit my business image.

Aug 17 06 07:54 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I suggest if you all want artists that act like  professional artists that you contact professionals.....Contact photographers in your area that do paid commercial/editorial work and ask them for a referral.  These artists wont work free and they wont test with you unless you have a killer portfolio, thats just a fact......  They will charge you professional prices, but they'll save you the headaches your experiencing.   If you  get someone free or real cheap its unrealistic to think youre getting a pro

Aug 18 06 01:12 pm Link