Forums > General Industry > Modeling n Photography - Exhibtionism n Voyeurism?

Photographer

N_3

Chicago, Illinois, US

I recently worked with a model who made a good point that Modeling and Photography are nothing more than varying degrees of Exhibitionism and Voyeurism.  I thought it was a good point that I haven't been able to refute, really... and kind of an interesting perspective, too.

Any thoughts or comments about it?

Aug 16 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Walking around where anyone else can see you is exhibitionism.  Doing so with your eyes open is voyeurism.

Aug 16 06 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

ert3006

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

doesn't exhibitionism and voyuerism denote a sexual tension?

Aug 16 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Well, yes, they are both respectively...but it's much more complicated than that.

Aug 16 06 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

N3 Media wrote:
I recently worked with a model who made a good point that Modeling and Photography are nothing more than varying degrees of Exhibitionism and Voyeurism.  I thought it was a good point that I haven't been able to refute, really... and kind of an interesting perspective, too.

If you use the word: varying degree ... You can manipulate it into a LOT of other things.. not just exhibitionism and/or voyeurism

Aug 16 06 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

N3 Media wrote:

If you do it for free, it's Exhibitionism and Voyeurism. If you receive money Exhibitionisn and Voyeurism are just a perk of the job.

After all, we are professionals here!

Aug 16 06 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

funny i thought they were photography and modelling. isn't that sufficient?

Aug 16 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

N_3

Chicago, Illinois, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
If you do it for free, it's Exhibitionism and Voyeurism. If you receive money Exhibitionisn and Voyeurism are just a perk of the job.

After all, we are professionals here!

Good point! How stupid of me! 

See? 
It's consumate pros like you who have the know how
to delineate such fine nuances! smile

Aug 16 06 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

N_3

Chicago, Illinois, US

oldguysrule wrote:
funny i thought they were photography and modelling. isn't that sufficient?

Of course it is, but isn't it fun to explore different interpretations of what we do?

Aug 16 06 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

You know I've been thinking that same thought recently.  I think it's becasue I'm constantly looking at people, places and things for possible ideas & shoots.  OMG! I'm a voyeur!

Aug 16 06 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

I've never known a great model who didn't have some exhibitionistic tendencies; I've never known a great photographer who wasn't a bit of a voyeur.

Aug 16 06 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

bang bang photo wrote:
I've never known a great model who didn't have some exhibitionistic tendencies; I've never known a great photographer who wasn't a bit of a voyeur.

Right on with this!

Aug 16 06 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Each model I've worked with is an exhibitionist and I am clearly a voyeur, but I don't know about anyone else here.

-Don

Aug 16 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

bang bang photo wrote:

Well said!

Aug 16 06 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

N3 Media wrote:

The trouble I have is determining if the model was making a reference to sexually "deviant" behavior.  For example, there are two definitions of exhibitionism... one is the act of drawing attention to one self through egotistical behavior.. the other definition is the act of exposing the genitalia in public. If she was using these terms with a sexual/erotic connotation to them, then I'd have to strongly disagree with her.  I'm a photographer. I, like all photographers, have a strong voyeuristic tendency (in that i have a strong reaction to visual stimuli). If I shoot landscapes, I'm not a voyeur in the sexual sense but I'm still reacting to my voyeuristic tendencies.  A model may or may not do what she does from an egotistical drive.  I would think that, for some, in certain situations, modeling is about obliterating the self and projecting something other.  this could still be feeding a deep egotistical need but it does not always have to be the case.
So, while I feel that the exhibitionist and the voyeur are clearly traits within the model and photographer respectively, the model's comment really doesn't state that much.  I don't think i could have let such a blanket statement go without a response of "how do you mean?" or some other question of that sort.
i think it's an over-simplified statement and there is really so much more to it under the surface.

p.s. i hope this thoughtful reply helps to diminish the negative opinion some (Alan!!) may have of me... just because my penis has accidentally fallen out of my pants at photo shoots and that i've written about such occurances here on the forums.

Aug 16 06 06:14 pm Link