Forums > General Industry > fake covers and tearsheets....

Photographer

oldguysrule

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

I was being facetious.

DOH!!!. my bad.
*orders an enema from the naughty nursie down the hall

Aug 17 06 02:09 am Link

Model

Ana Paula

Kizzy wrote:

Ok...hmmm...whatever, math never was one of my strong points!  LOL

If math was my strong point, I wouldn't have become a model.

Aug 17 06 02:19 am Link

Model

Kizzy

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Ana Paula wrote:

If math was my strong point, I wouldn't have become a model.

LOL   I'm just modeling to keep from having to flip burgers while I go to college.

Aug 17 06 02:28 am Link

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

i shall no add more comments to this ..

Aug 17 06 02:29 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

Oh no, I created a fake teearsheet. Do you tink anyone will notice its a fake !

https://photos.photosig.com/photos/41/98/1709841-8f1bed820681cf21.jpg

Aug 17 06 03:08 am Link

Model

Ever Art

Chicago, Illinois, US

Because digital tools allow anyone to create and be anything they want, instead of doing the work the old fashioned way, and earning the title of "Model."

Years ago, it took real talent and hard work to be a model. Now, with all these myspace sites and pic uploaders and digital tools, anyone can post anything and label it "modeling" and this free for all has cheapened the word "model."

Not really fair, but thats todays world.

Aug 17 06 03:14 am Link

Photographer

Louis Pereyra

Scranton, Pennsylvania, US

Fluffytek wrote:

DUDE...congrats on the cover!!! Like cool....is it a new publication?

*scooby doo laugh*

Aug 17 06 04:09 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Fluffytek wrote:

actually, i think this is great. just watch out for people trying to do fake versions of it  wink

Aug 17 06 04:33 am Link

Photographer

Voltaire

Los Angeles, California, US

Ill add to it by asking what about photographers that have snapped supermodels in the street and have a pic of them in their portfolio as if they worked together.  I mean you can tell that the girl was snapped coming out of her agency and clearly couldn't be bothered!

Aug 17 06 04:40 am Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

Because ppl are retarded..... lol?

Aug 17 06 07:01 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

RachelCWhittemore wrote:
Because ppl are retarded..... lol?

You said retarded. OMG. That is so funny. And in some cases true.

I would say that people who create false tearsheets do so without the intention of trying to pass it as real, but more so to showcase how they can see their own work as a professional commercial piece. I've seen some good ones. And I generally don't have a problem with that as long as there is the disclaimer that it is NOT in fact real.

Maybe I'm just too nice and choose to believe the innocence in people......

Aug 17 06 07:04 am Link

Model

Kizzy

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Fluffytek wrote:

LMAO!

Aug 17 06 07:39 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
I would say that people who create false tearsheets do so without the intention of trying to pass it as real, but more so to showcase how they can see their own work as a professional commercial piece.

You are too sweet Dawn.

People are known to pass it as real, some do it to promote "workshops".  I hate those people.  It's deceiving, dishonest...and the moment they show up, you know they have little to offer; but many have been suckered into these.

Aug 17 06 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

rjcarroll

Linden, New Jersey, US

I used to subscribe to Vacuum Monthly, but I cancelled my sub because the magazine really sucked...

Aug 17 06 03:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

It bugs me and it is something that definately signals a red flag. I have seen photogs with loads of fake tears and covers, not just for fun trying to pass them off as actual YSL and Dior ads, or actual Elle covers.... it is a big pet peave of mine. Somtimes they are done really well, but you can easily figure out that YSL is not hiring models off MM.

Aug 22 06 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Kinard Photography

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

I created one, but it was named after ME - Thermogenic.  I spoofed myself and my friends in Atlanta and it was well received.  I even went so far as to create an editorial shot to go with it.  Funny thing is, I clearly said it was a fun fake, but some people didn't care to read the caption that explained this.  Thus, I actually had potential advertisers contact me about it! HA!

I would never try to fake anything using anyone's real brand or logos.  That is a huge mistake in my opinion.

https://img222.imageshack.us/img222/156/magazinetablemu6.jpg
https://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2659/thermomagazinemp0.jpg
https://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1631/mg5592ne6.jpg

Aug 22 06 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

Dax wrote:
There was a huge mess down here about a year or a year and a half ago ( Miami ) with that.. A couple who were married.. a female model and a male photographer.. were caught faking tears.. She had a couple of Elle and Glamour tears shot by her husband.

They no longer live in Miami LOL.

That is big everywhere.  However in Miami, I see tons of models with tearsheets for magazines that don't even exist.  I think that is just as bad.

Aug 22 06 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Robert Voltaire wrote:
Ill add to it by asking what about photographers that have snapped supermodels in the street and have a pic of them in their portfolio as if they worked together.  I mean you can tell that the girl was snapped coming out of her agency and clearly couldn't be bothered!

Man.. that's pretty cheap and edgy wink lol

Aug 22 06 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Kizzy wrote:
So, how many people on here do you suppose really do have magazine covers?

I know a few photographers who get covers on a regular basis...

Aug 22 06 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Apfel Photography wrote:

That is big everywhere.  However in Miami, I see tons of models with tearsheets for magazines that don't even exist.  I think that is just as bad.

Well.. they were the only case I know of down here.. And the girls u are talking about where do u see their fake tears ??

Huge diff between agency girls and net girls.. The example I gave was for a working agency model ( with about 7 yrs experience ) and a pretty known photographer... who worked with all agencies and magazines. Im not talking about online based ppl... for that i have a lot of cases of clowns.. LOL

Aug 22 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

It's my opinion that the people who make fakes... never had to go through the hell of earning a cover.

Those who have earned a cover... in any legit magazine - wouldn't dare.  It's poison to your future.

Aug 23 06 07:06 am Link

Photographer

B L O P H O T O

Chicago, Illinois, US

oldguysrule wrote:
the trademarks and tradenames are being infringed on. it is not only deceptive, but illegal. but this is the internet where all manner of phoneybaloney is encouraged and anyone who finds fault is seen as a quaint throwback to some yesteryear. lets face it, as a society we are just morally bereft.

"morally bereft"....good one!

Aug 23 06 07:14 am Link

Model

Chaya Phally

New York, New York, US

I find what some photographers have in their portfolio interesting...

Images of agency models are great.
Images of non-agency models suck.

Really.

There are many factors, but they should treat their work equally. They are supposed to showcase their best work. Have no mercy.

(puzzled)

Aug 23 06 07:31 am Link