Forums > General Industry > Best Photog that doesnt know what they're doing!

Photographer

Daniel Norton

New York, New York, US

AdamtheJohnson wrote:
Way to misinterpret everything I said.

AdamtheJohnson wrote:
don't know a thing about lighting or composition (i mean, formally trained, of course)

Daniel Norton wrote:
ummmm, I took at look at Le Art Throb and the vast majority of those images follow the basic rules of composition

You say this photographer doesn't know a thing about lighting and composition, I think he does... he actually uses lighting that is appropriate to his subject matter ..  Take for instance the nude in the car.. it's brilliant use of flash IMHO to have it flaring up in the window, makes the scene more real..

Aug 16 06 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

SolraK Studios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I am forever clueless.......................///

Aug 16 06 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

What a bunch of losers.

Who wants to be clueless, yet good?  I find it far more satisfying to actually be horrible in the face of absorbing knowledge...

Aug 16 06 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Carnival of Photography

Dyersburg, Tennessee, US

I have no clue....but I have fun smile

Aug 16 06 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

JSVPhotography

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Clueless as well here, but working on it.

Aug 16 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

I haven't had a clue since the last time I was stuck with Mrs. White with a candlestick in the broom closet.

Aug 16 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

The Polaroid Guy

Grand Prairie, Texas, US

Daniel Norton wrote:

AdamtheJohnson wrote:
Way to misinterpret everything I said.

AdamtheJohnson wrote:
don't know a thing about lighting or composition (i mean, formally trained, of course)

You say this photographer doesn't know a thing about lighting and composition, I think he does... he actually uses lighting that is appropriate to his subject matter ..  Take for instance the nude in the car.. it's brilliant use of flash IMHO to have it flaring up in the window, makes the scene more real..

Again, you're really taking my initial comments too seriously.

There are certain photographers on this site who are so technically knowledgeable, through years of schoolin' and 'professional'/commercial work. And then there are those who just fly by the seat of their pants. They've never taken a course, they don't emplpoy hot lights or soft boxes, they get scared when faced with Photoshop - and they're pictures come out amazing and interesting.

Lighten up. Nothing about my statement was an insult. Le Art Throb is one of my faves!!

Aug 16 06 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Just Shoot Me Photograp

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

I know what I am doing.And I am damn good at it.lol

Aug 16 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

ks point of view

Memphis, Tennessee, US

go ahead and count me in on the clueless side

Aug 16 06 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Norton

New York, New York, US

AdamtheJohnson wrote:
Lighten up. Nothing about my statement was an insult. Le Art Throb is one of my faves!!

I guess the point I am trying to make it that I don't think he is just winging it or flying by the seat of his pants, I think he's got a a background in art and an excellent eye. 

If I can't pick fights on forums, how am I supposed to avoid working all day wink

Aug 16 06 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Jaime Ibarra

Austin, Texas, US

I am a graphic designer. I am intimately familiar with Photoshop. I have absolutely no training in photography. My only experience with photography is that which I have made for myself. I own no flash units, lights, strobes, umbrellas, or any studio gear whatsoever. Well, I do have a collapsible reflector, but my wife mainly uses it to fan the models' hair around a bit.

While I won't say I am "clueless", I must admit I do enjoy the freedom my lack of training and experience affords me when I am shooting. It has been a journey of discovery for me, to say the least.

All I know is, I absolutely adore photography...for now, that is enough for me smile

Aug 16 06 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

The Polaroid Guy

Grand Prairie, Texas, US

Daniel Norton wrote:

AdamtheJohnson wrote:

I guess the point I am trying to make it that I don't think he is just winging it or flying by the seat of his pants, I think he's got a a background in art and an excellent eye. 

I agree. But you know what i mean. I think.

Aug 16 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
What a bunch of losers.

Who wants to be clueless, yet good?  I find it far more satisfying to actually be horrible in the face of absorbing knowledge...

k, you just gave me a headache with that thought.

Aug 16 06 04:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Glamourpuss Make-UpHair

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Jaime Ibarra wrote:
I am a graphic designer. I am intimately familiar with Photoshop. I have absolutely no training in photography. My only experience with photography is that which I have made for myself. I own no flash units, lights, strobes, umbrellas, or any studio gear whatsoever. Well, I do have a collapsible reflector, but my wife mainly uses it to fan the models' hair around a bit.

While I won't say I am "clueless", I must admit I do enjoy the freedom my lack of training and experience affords me when I am shooting. It has been a journey of discovery for me, to say the least.

All I know is, I absolutely adore photography...for now, that is enough for me smile

I was going to put you on this list, but I didn't want you to be offended!

Photo-WonderTwin Powers---ACTIVATE!

Aug 16 06 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

StMarc wrote:
I nominate Kassandra:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=3245

http://kayleigh.deviantart.com

To my knowledge this photographer has had no formal training, uses extremely inexpensive gear and lighting, and makes most of her own backgrounds and props (as well as being her own wardrobe and makeup stylist.) Also, almost all of her images are *self-portraits.* With a timer, no remote trigger.

M

You know what; I'll second that... partly because I do like her stuff, even before you mentioned it, but mostly because I want her to come to California and be my slave for a day.

Aug 16 06 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

I don't know jack-shit.

Define good?

Aug 16 06 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Ought To Be Shot wrote:
I don't know jack-shit.

Define good?

I don't have anything to add to this it just amused the hell out of me to see:

Best Photog that doesnt know what they're doing!
Ought To Be Shot @ 08:31pm

Aug 16 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

The Things Ive Seen

Leadville, Colorado, US

Give It A Name.

Aug 16 06 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

TJoseph

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

half my work is done with just a camera and some film. it's all about simplicity.

one
TRAVIS

Aug 16 06 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Shawn Ray

Tampa, Florida, US

I don't know if I consider myself "Damn Good" but I make an extremely good living at fashion/lifestyle/editorial.  I have been "Professional" for about three and a half years now.  What I mean by professional is that I'm paid to do it.  Here is a little info on me.

Name: Shawn Ray
Training: 0 (self taught)
Camera: Nikon d70
Lenses: Nikor 28-80 & 70-300mm
Lighting: 0
Reflectors: 1 white/gold disc and 1 silver car dash visor/protector thingy.
Knowledge of F-stops/shutter speeds: Not much... but still learning.

I became a photographer by accident.  My wife needed pics, I said "let's buy a camera, I'll learn hot to use it".  Her agency loved the pics and asked who shot them.  I said I did and the rest is history.  I have alot to learn but I'm having a blast along the way.  I don't know if I am what you were talking about, who knows?

Aug 16 06 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

does any of you use the rule of third when shooting on digital or just wait till u in front of your pc to adjust the crop!!!????

well well i depends on what you looking for... see if u know the basics classroom photography.. the class we all fall asleep in. you can then brake the rules and make your own rules.....

Aug 16 06 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

does any of you use the rule of third when shooting on digital or just wait till u in front of your pc to adjust the crop!!!????

well well i depends on what you looking for... see if u know the basics classroom photography.. the class we all fall asleep in. you can then brake the rules and make your own rules.....

Aug 16 06 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

i have no formal training in photography but i like to think that every now and then it all comes together and my eye and art background will point me to where i need to go.
i'm learning on my feet, as i go, and picking up a lot of useful experience along the way.

Aug 17 06 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Garcia

New York, New York, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
There's a somewhat well known photographer on this site.  He knows photography
at least from the technical side.  I believe he attended a photography school.
His work is always well exposed and sharp and he produces the same life less
crap each and every time.  I rather watch paint dry then see his work.  At times
he asks for critiques and I truly want to say,  this image is the same as the other
hundred you showed us.

Where is this photographer from?

Aug 17 06 09:15 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
I vote for lighthouse studios

MM 118803

The guy is crazy uses tons of tiny lights  shoots way long exposures because lights are weak, ties you up, covers beautiful girls in goo and makes them super ugly, he shoots upside down, sideways, backwards...

shoots in his tiny apt, or bedroom,
he is a tatto artist by trade and just takes images for fun and art because tattoing is no longer fun and art if people tell him what to do.

One of the most crazy fun shoots I have ever been a part of.

Totally.  smile.

Aug 17 06 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Kassandra totally rocks!!

StMarc wrote:
I nominate Kassandra:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=3245

http://kayleigh.deviantart.com

To my knowledge this photographer has had no formal training, uses extremely inexpensive gear and lighting, and makes most of her own backgrounds and props (as well as being her own wardrobe and makeup stylist.) Also, almost all of her images are *self-portraits.* With a timer, no remote trigger.

M

Aug 17 06 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Black Ricco

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Best photog who doesn't know what they're doing?

That's easy... Bob Randall. I'll let you in on a little secret; Bob has elves living in the ceiling of his studio. They're the ones who actually set up the shot and light it. Bob merely pulls the trigger when it's time.

Aug 17 06 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

StevesPhotography

Mustang, Oklahoma, US

I went thru a period when I thought I actually knew what I was doing. Then I learned enough to realise I didnt.
So even tho I know more now all I really know is how much I dont know and the knowing I dont know makes me all the more driven to learn.
But so far the more I learn the more I know I dont know, so I know more and know I know less as time goes by.
Ya know?

Aug 18 06 08:17 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

AdamtheJohnson wrote:
There are certain photographers on this site who are so technically knowledgeable, through years of schoolin' and 'professional'/commercial work. And then there are those who just fly by the seat of their pants. They've never taken a course, they don't emplpoy hot lights or soft boxes, they get scared when faced with Photoshop - and they're pictures come out amazing and interesting.

I guess I'm smack dab in the middle! I've never had formal school training but have taken some courses and seminars. Most of what I have learned has been through trial and error. Never could figure lighting ratios due to my poor math abilities but could "see" the lighting before hand.

I did keep notebooks of my lighting setups, measurements, shutter speed, f-stops in the day of film and anything else I though relevant so I could reproduce a set up I liked. Shot polaroids. Now thankfully it's digital and I can check it on the computer.

I pored over shots I liked by other photographers with a magnfying glass to check the high lights in models eyes to try an figure out the lighting set up used.

I'm pretty much confident these days when I shoot but in my earlier days I definitely flew by the seat of my pants. My heart could take it then, I was young and loved taking chances. Now, my heart needs a pacemaker so I try to keep things calm, structured and predictable. But I do miss those old days!

Aug 18 06 08:29 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

AdamtheJohnson wrote:
smile

All in good fun, but let's face it, there are plenty of photographers on this site that don't have any gear whatsoever, shoot MySpace style, don't know a thing about lighting or composition (i mean, formally trained, of course) and are not 'professionals' in any sense, and ARE STILL DAMN GOOD.

So who do you think fits the bill. (Remember folks, these are COMPLIMENTS TO YOUR UNIQUE STYLE, not put downs)

I vogte for Le Art Throb -- MM #6599

I'm sorry, but the only person who comes to mind IS a well-known professional: Steven Meisel.  He is famous for renting all or most of his equipment and letting his tech's deal with the lighting.  He does, however, know what he wants to see and is quite effective at communicating and creating it in the picture.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Aug 18 06 08:34 am Link

Photographer

JJD Productions

Abbeville, Alabama, US

Aug 18 06 08:44 am Link

Photographer

jac3950

Freedom, New Hampshire, US

Clues? they're handing out clues? I never knew you could get clues....

Aug 18 06 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Black Ricco wrote:
Best photog who doesn't know what they're doing?

That's easy... Bob Randall. I'll let you in on a little secret; Bob has elves living in the ceiling of his studio. They're the ones who actually set up the shot and light it. Bob merely pulls the trigger when it's time.

Bob can't pull a trigger!  He's got no bloody fingers!  Hell, everybody knows he types with his damned nose..

If you'd really slept with the man you'd know that..

Wait a minute!  If you're not sleeping with him, then who.......?

Oh crap, I was wondering why my ass was always sore when I woke up in the mornings...

(Nothing like posting a joke 2 people will get where 100,000 can see it..)

Aug 18 06 08:52 am Link

Photographer

TheOneEyedShooter

Sonoita, Arizona, US

I...have...equipment.....

I don't have a camera yet...but...I HAVE equipment !

Aug 18 06 08:55 am Link