Forums > General Industry > do model - photographer websites really work?

Photographer

Shoone

Tempe, Arizona, US

Are you getting good paying jobs?

Aug 16 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm an amateur fine art photographer, doing nudes mostly.  My web site is extensive, and while I don't require membership, I do accept donations.

My web site (http://www.looknseephoto.com) has many benefits:  chiefly, potential models can see the kind of images I make and they get a good initial impression.  Further, the donations are sufficient to support my photography hobby -- it can pay for the web site, modeling fees, film, chemistry, etc.

So, given my objectives, my web site works well.

Aug 16 06 05:32 pm Link

Model

Maria Cedar

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I have a modeling website http://maria-cedar.com that is based on a free and member side.  Like "LookNSee" my site provides enough income to cover my server fee as well as costume and some travel.   Have I found any work there?  No, most of my work comes from my online portfolios and  casting calls.  But I still hope lol. 

MC

Aug 16 06 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

my website is http://www.gavinoneill.com (shamless plug)  wink

i dont imagine the kind of jobs i do would ever be booked from my site, so my answer would be no. although the clients may look at it for reference, i dont think editorial and commercial clients actually search for a photographer online on google or something.....they would source the photographer and then look at the site, not the other way round.

Aug 16 06 07:03 pm Link

Model

SsinUrn

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Shoone wrote:

from what i can tell (and i don't look much cause i don't care wink ) the main thing you'll get paid for on this site is by doing nude shoots...

again, i could be wrong... so don't attack me big_smile

Aug 16 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

One of my friends books about 3 jobs a month off people finding him on google and looking at his website.. And I dont mean paid tests.. decent jobs..

Aug 16 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

please don't tell me there are how ever many 10's of thousands of models here, OMP, etc. etc. to find paying assignments!!!??? and when the sites are so heavily invested and organized toward 'networking'... read TFP... the paid work is truly an accident.

no. at this point, if the aim is commerce, these sites have little to offer, except at the margins.

my 2 bits

Aug 16 06 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Shoone wrote:

Are you talking about websites like MM or our individual websites?  IMO, websites like MM are for networking, not getting paying jobs directly.

Aug 16 06 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Yes.. If money were to be made.. Wouldn't a site like this either need to broker itself as an agency or expand to the *gasp* concept of a:

Photographer/Model/CLIENT website?

Aug 16 06 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

A. KAYE

Richardson, Texas, US

no

Aug 16 06 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Yes, not from this site but from my own, http://www.distinctiveimages.com. I get as many oaid private commissions as I'm interested in shooting.

Aug 16 06 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

We had an extensive site - even with an article about "being a professional model."

We are redesigning it now to be very shott and sweet.  We found few people read it any of the articles; some liked the images, but not of the rest was never accessed.

It's one more way to advertise, but we didn't get much work from old (soon to be new) site at all.

/tim

Aug 16 06 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

This site & OMP have both landed me some good trade jobs for my artwork, and I've had good luck finding reliable models for wine & liquor promos, so all in all they've been worth it for me.

Aug 17 06 12:44 am Link