Forums > General Industry > Models altering intellectual property

Photographer

BradyPhotography I

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

A model that wasnt even really a model (it was a favor to the makeup artist) has signed up for an account and posted very badly edited versions of my photos, she denies that they are mine although I can easily proove it as I still have the files.

What can be done here? At the very least I want them removed from MM.

I have already messaged her and asked for her to remove them, she has read but not replied to the message.

CB~

Aug 15 06 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

geez, we just discussed this last week !

Aug 15 06 04:44 pm Link

Model

SsinUrn

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

ouch.... did you try using the contact a mod form?

Aug 15 06 04:44 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

SsinUrn wrote:
ouch.... did you try using the contact a mod form?

The mods don't care. You screwed up, didn't get a release, and gave her unedited files. Don't do it again.

Aug 15 06 04:46 pm Link

Model

SsinUrn

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

hey, be nice sad  i'm new to this site, figured mod's were able to help wit hthis sort of thing.... i'm sorry

Aug 15 06 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I thought the cliche was that models had no intellectual property.. (Digging deep in my quest to offend everyone equally..)

Aug 15 06 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

BradyPhotography I

I DO have a signed release!

Aug 15 06 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

SsinUrn wrote:
hey, be nice sad  i'm new to this site, figured mod's were able to help wit hthis sort of thing.... i'm sorry

this IS nice...you think it gets better.

But is a growing problem.  So, include in your release NO changes to images.
But everyone has a copy of graphic software.

most of the self changes are horrid, so we wince.

Aug 15 06 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Christopher Brady wrote:
I DO have a signed release!

And it prohibits her from changing your pictures or publishing them?  What is that wording on the release?

Aug 15 06 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

San Francisco, California, US

Lapis wrote:
The mods don't care. You screwed up, didn't get a release, and gave her unedited files. Don't do it again.

jeez way to be a total jerk. you have no idea what the wording of his release was, and also no reason to assume he gave her unedited files. Is it only possible to edit an unedited file? NO. Anyone could go and take an image you already edited and make it neon colors and totally destroy it. Doesn't mean you gave them unedited stuff.
Sheesh, would it kill people to be a little friendly around here. even if someone DID screw up, we are supposed to be friends here.

Aug 15 06 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

1. Did you give them the files?

2. Did you have an agreement with them? Was it written?

3. Did the agreement include use rights, and if so, what were they?

Depends on your agreement when you gave them the files. Preferrably a written agreement. If there was no agreement - good luck.

We've had long threads about abuse of photos by others. You retained the copyright (U.S.A.). This gives you rights as far as controlling who can copy and what they can do. But the use rights, if they aren't specifically stated anywhere - may be open to question. In this digital age - that's going to be an issue.

Aug 15 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Couture Imagery wrote:

jeez way to be a total jerk. you have no idea what the wording of his release was, and also no reason to assume he gave her unedited files. Is it only possible to edit an unedited file? NO. Anyone could go and take an image you already edited and make it neon colors and totally destroy it. Doesn't mean you gave them unedited stuff.
Sheesh, would it kill people to be a little friendly around here. even if someone DID screw up, we are supposed to be friends here.

Funny and ditto,
I was just thinking at how much MM had impoved and I see a remark like this BUMMER

To the OP...

I dont know what your release states.

And really, unless you are prepared to take legal action your hands are tied. Hopefully a nice e-mail to the Artist and perhaps a little bridge building can solve the problem.

I little constructive peer preasure would work as well. I think we as artist can let those who would do such a thing are frowned upon here.

AND I SAY CONSTRUCTIVE..not abusive. If the mods dont care, then we as a community should.

My two cents...

NOTE....Again, your release is the key factor here. that is where your legal ground truly stands.

Best wishes..

V

Aug 15 06 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Why didn't you give her edited/corrected copies? Seems the entire problem would be resolved that way.

Aug 15 06 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

I'd like to see the evidence from both perspectives.

Aug 15 06 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

bad model , no donut!

Aug 15 06 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Doug Lester wrote:
Why didn't you give her edited/corrected copies? Seems the entire problem would be resolved that way.

they edit that too !

Aug 15 06 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

BradyPhotography I

The images WERE edited, the were pretty much industry standard head shots for an actress (What she said she wanted).

And yes my release prohibits altering the photos in any way without written permission.

Is there nothing MM will do? What am I paying for??

Aug 15 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Christopher Brady wrote:
The images WERE edited, the were pretty much industry standard head shots for an actress (What she said she wanted).

And yes my release prohibits altering the photos in any way without written permission.

Is there nothing MM will do? What am I paying for??

No one on MM will punish a model for her irresponsible behaviour.  Send her name to everyone that asks. Until she replies we dont know the full story.

Aug 15 06 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

jac3950

Freedom, New Hampshire, US

Just curious, but would tagging that profile and adding a comment to each of the offending images disclaiming the edits as your own be a violation of some MM rule?

I had one model who did this with impunity and gave me the "credit" for the shots until I insisted she either take them down or claim credit for the edit. My release now clearly states, and I reiterate with each model, that she is prohibited from any type of editing, cropping, etc.

Aug 15 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

No one on MM will punish a model for her irresponsible behaviour.  Send her name to everyone that asks. Until she replies we dont know the full story.

Now I am quite sure there is some moderator "behind?" the scens action going on by now.

1. A paying memebr has a release and it is clearly stated as to what can and can't be done.

2. Another member has violated that agreement and POSTED on MM.

So it stands to reason, that something is at least being looked into. This should not be resolved in a thread.

Aug 15 06 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Have to read the release/agreement. But if it's on there and they signed it, just a notification letter or e-mail should be the start. I've had it happen and sent them a friendly note - model complied immediately. No problem.

If that doesn't work, you have to get nasty to enforce it. A letter from a lawyer or a certified letter telling them they are in violation of the agreement. Get tough from there if they ignor it. You have to get a injuction - a court order for them to take it down. Hopefully the agreement also has a revocable clause for the use of the pictures.

If you don't want all that legal hassle, you have to grin and bare it.

Aug 15 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Christopher Brady wrote:
A model that wasnt even really a model (it was a favor to the makeup artist) has signed up for an account and posted very badly edited versions of my photos, she denies that they are mine although I can easily proove it as I still have the files.

What can be done here? At the very least I want them removed from MM.

I have already messaged her and asked for her to remove them, she has read but not replied to the message.

CB~

Truly I dont care what the model does with images that are TFCD. For commercial clients I would just not use a new model anyway. The ones that count to me are on my portfolio page. Getting all bent out of shape over this is useless,you really cant stop them. Should a professional model with experience alter and post a paying clients image then the company in question can go after them. I retain all rights to my B/W images and I allow the model to use them in their portfolio only(online or hard copy) Color images the model can _uck them up all they want, As long as I dont see them in an AD its all good.
We worked together so its a form of payment. If we cant do anything about no-shows this is really out of bounds here. Sorry you got this issue.

Aug 15 06 11:13 pm Link