Forums > General Industry > Compliment or Insult?

Model

Heatherly Nicole

Lake Charles, Louisiana, US

Would you take it as a compliment or an insult when upon meeting a  photographer for the first time he says that he didn't know what you would look like in person because you "look like a different person in every image in your port" and that your "true self" was not being represented?

Aug 15 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I'd have a hard time not laughing at the photog..

I understand the sentiment.. But that line is turning into the photog version of, "What's your sign."

Aug 15 06 01:10 pm Link

Model

Amy Monroe

I got told that once too and I took it as a compliment! Tyra never looks the same in any of her shots neither does Adriana, or ... you name it. You have a gift, run with it

Aug 15 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Bev wrote:
Would you take it as a compliment or an insult when upon meeting a  photographer for the first time he says that he didn't know what you would look like in person because you "look like a different person in every image in your port" and that your "true self" was not being represented?

Is the guy a photographer of philosophist? True self! Does anyone ever show their "true selves"?

Besides, if you're a model I would think the ability to achieve different looks would be more important than showing your "true self." Leave the "true self" for your BF or husband. I want to see the multitude of "other selves" you can create in front of the camera.

Aug 15 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

I say it everytime I meet a model for the first time. Comp card shots, head shots, on line shots hardly ever look like the "true person".

Aug 15 06 01:14 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Bev wrote:

I would be amused.
Unless you have a pic on your port without a scrap of make-up and styling then they are not going to have a point.
even then if you dont look like that everyday its not"you"as such.

Take it as a compliment that they think you are that versatile

Aug 15 06 01:14 pm Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

I would take it as a weirdly-worded compliment. The #1 comment I have heard from photographers is that I'm "very versatile," which is basically the same thing, and I think this is a good thing. A model who looks exactly the same in every picture can occasionally be useful, but not for much.

Aug 15 06 01:16 pm Link

Model

TheArchon

Pemberton, New Jersey, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:

Is the guy a photographer of philosophist? True self! Does anyone ever show their "true selves"?

Besides, if you're a model I would think the ability to achieve different looks would be more important than showing your "true self." Leave the "true self" for your BF or husband. I want to see the multitude of "other selves" you can create in front of the camera.

Does anyone even KNOW their true selves?
I sure as hell don't.  Maybe I've been a performer for too long, that I may have forgotten...but I can honestly say that if I ever find my true self, I'll probably beat the crap out of him/me.  The last thing I need are multiple personalities.
lol

Aug 15 06 01:19 pm Link

Model

TheArchon

Pemberton, New Jersey, US

seriously, though...DOES anyone know their true selves?

Aug 15 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

It depends on the situation.
I met an MM model this weekend at an event & I recognized her because of her large one of a kind tattoo.
But if it weren't for that, despite having seen MANY photos of her, I wouldn't have recognized her.  Her face didn't look anything like any photos of her that I've seen.

Aug 15 06 01:23 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Bev wrote:

Neither.  He/she doesn't know who your "true self" is to know if you portray it or not.  Personality comes out in photos a lot of the time I think.  Besides. . .actors and actresses take being a different person every time they're seen as a compliment.

Aug 15 06 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

I would demand to see a butt print Bev.

I have to be sure it's you.

Aug 15 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

I'll make you famous>

Aug 15 06 03:49 pm Link

Model

Phoenix E

i hear that all the time, or close enough.
i heard it so often for a while that i put a note in my profile that explicitly states that all of my images represent some facet of my true personality.
take it as a compliment. diversity and contrast are good things; it is simply a shame that some people don't seem to understand that.

Aug 15 06 04:27 pm Link

Model

Carina Comeau

Ajax, Ontario, Canada

Bev wrote:

I've gotten that too..
Just try to take it as a complement on your versitility.

Aug 15 06 04:31 pm Link

Model

Heatherly Nicole

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
I would demand to see a butt print Bev.

I have to be sure it's you.

HAHAHA!!!

Oh my...

Aug 15 06 05:10 pm Link

Model

Heatherly Nicole

Thanks all!

Carina Comeau wrote:

I've gotten that too..
Just try to take it as a complement on your versitility.

I'm pretty sure he meant it as an insult but I'll take your advice!

Aug 15 06 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

I photographed a young lady about 15 years ago and when we were checking out the prints in the lab at school, a few people took a peek and said "Who is that?" She was right there!! I did not think she looked the same either. In person, she was a cute slender redhead with a fun smile. On film (all we had back then!) she was a stunning radiant beauty. Don't know how she did that.

Aug 15 06 10:34 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

I don't see any reason WHATSOEVER to take it as a insult.

Were you, perhaps, in a exhibit called ''the real me'' and none of them or even the sum total gave him anything of the real you... thats reasonable, we are far more than a picture, its just a comment and that's fine.
He prob really didn't know what to expect - you have versatile looks here 'well done'!
As a model on here you are supposed to be able to create different looks
so thats fine!

Aug 16 06 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Photos by Jerry

Edmonds, Washington, US

Rather than believe that each of us has a true self, I believe that we play a series of roles: mother, wife, lover, father, husband, etc. When I was a teacher my son was once in the back room where he could observe.  He said that I was a completely different person in the classroom than the father he knew.  We assume different roles depending upon the needs of life.  If we have a "true self" it is the composite of all of these roles.
  I think a good model is able to adopt different roles, just as an actor does, depending upon the need of the image.

Aug 16 06 01:13 am Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

Bev wrote:
Would you take it as a compliment or an insult when upon meeting a  photographer for the first time he says that he didn't know what you would look like in person because you "look like a different person in every image in your port" [/qoute]. 

Compliment... it tells me that you can modify your look to the situation.... a REALLY good thing.

Bev wrote:
and that your "true self" was not being represented?

Wierd and kinda silly.  Is his next line "what's your sign?"

Aug 16 06 04:48 am Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

Los Angeles, California, US

hehe,

I'll go with WG Rowland’s "What's your sign." analysis.

But when you come to L.A., I'll be glad to provide a second opinion.

big_smile

-Glenn

Aug 16 06 04:55 am Link

Photographer

StevesPhotography

Mustang, Oklahoma, US

This thread made me think about the pictures I see alot of models post in there ports and I often observe that models frequently have ports that are constructed as if they were a photographers portfolio.
Meaning that the pictures might be great, even fantastic, but are often more a show piece for the photographers skill rather than really showing off the models looks. When I go looking for models I am frequently frustrated because their ports lack any "here I am" pics. Pics that are a good representation of their face and figure.
A models portfolio should make the viewer think "That model is great" not "That model sure has worked with some great photographers".
Right now a model I have worked with who has just a knock out face and figure has a port full of pics that dont show her figure, her number one asset, hardly at all. I know how great she looks because I have seen her but looking at her port you’d never guess.
So, ya…sometimes we photogs use that old clichéd phrase but cliché’s become cliché’s from being true all to often.

Aug 16 06 07:35 am Link