Forums > General Industry > Are smiley faces enough?

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

To appease the kicker offer people. Seems like every post I make I have to include a smiley face so everyone will know I'm joking when I call some errant jug head a dinosaur. I use render time to post when I'm stuck at this stupid computer and I would sorely miss using you guys as my own personal dartboard which helps ease the boredom. So, are my smiley faces enough? What would you have me do? Be creative and I'll punch you right back! (while smiling)

smile

Aug 15 06 12:58 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

I feel the same way. I think that people read one thing on the screen and because there aren't any "smileys" or anything to indicate someone's personality (because a smiley face apparantly captures the complexity of who a person is) they often take statements the wrong way.

I've seen plenty of profiles on here that come across as harsh, and I often use them as examples when people state that my profile is just as bad....people just need to remember that emotions and tones are not easily reflected with words on a piece of paper, let alone in statements made on MM, or anywhere on the internet.

Just my two.
-D

:-) :-) :-) :-P

Aug 15 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Bob.. You suck.. And your dishes are all cheap plastic.

Aug 15 06 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

OK, here's an example of what I'm talking about.

One of the dittzes above me has this stupid crap written on her bio page.

"I am the most down to earth, friendly model out there. I take direction well and love innovative ideas. I am not a diva, I do not have an attitude, and I promise a professional and fun shoot with me, if you decide to hire me. And if you don't believe me, I have thousands of references...well not thousands...but ask, or simply contact anyone that I am linked to".

Who does this idiot think she/he is anyhow. I've read smarter sounding verbage with less attitude on a condom wrapper. smile

My question is this, did you think I was serious or having fun? Yeah right, friendly model, huh!

Aug 15 06 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

WG Rowland wrote:
Bob.. You suck.. And your dishes are all cheap plastic.

I'm told that you suck more and you wouldn't know a dish if it hit you in the head cause you still eat with your fingers.

Aug 15 06 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:

I'm told that you suck more and you wouldn't know a dish if it hit you in the head cause you still eat with your fingers.

The doctors won't let me have cutlery.

Spork you!

Aug 15 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

One word:  oversmilification.

smiletonguebig_smilesmileyikesbig_smiletonguesmilerolllolbig_smilesmiletonguelolsmilebig_smiletongue

Aug 15 06 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hey, look what I can do!

rolllolbig_smilesmile

Aug 15 06 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

In poker, the saying goes "Don't disturb the fish".
Alerting people to the fact that they need to disguise their attitude better does not serve the interest of this community, whether it is accompanied with a smiley face or not. You are not, after all, changing their attitude, only better masking it. Oh, I see now, it is a diabolic plan to set a trap for the next unsuspecting victim.
You are an evil genius, Bob Randall!

Aug 15 06 07:14 pm Link