Photographer

photographybyfrank

Clearwater, Florida, US

Am i the only one still using film? Or are their still others out there ?

Aug 15 06 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Me too. There's lots of us on MM.

Aug 15 06 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Lipstickonmylens Artist

Böblingen, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Sure film. Roll film is my fav.

Aug 15 06 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

photographybyfrank

Clearwater, Florida, US

Lens N Light wrote:
Me too. There's lots of us on MM.

Thats nice to hear,

Aug 15 06 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

photographybyfrank wrote:

Don't listen to any of them Frank.  You are the only one left.  They are just just being kind and don't want you to feel totally isolated.  That's what the MM community does, support others. smile

Aug 15 06 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

KRB Photography

Stuart, Florida, US

I still enjoy using film.  I love the effects of infrared on the human body!

Aug 15 06 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

ChrisCorbettPhotography

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

I shoot film exclusively and print my own work.

Aug 15 06 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoSmurf

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

What is this "film" thing you talk about?

Sounds like my grandpa's mumblings about "Beta" and "USFL".

*smirk*

Aug 15 06 12:43 pm Link

Model

TheArchon

Pemberton, New Jersey, US

Digital.
Digital.

Remember when the only uses for that word were to describe a wristwatch, or an alarm clock?

The debate rages on...film, or digital.
I have the same argument over sound with other musicians;  Analog, or digital?
What the hell is "digital" going to replace next, anyway? Television? Books, altogether?

Well...to answer the topic, and not get too far off on a tangent:
Film.  It ain't broke, don't fix it. Film is definitely superior.

PS> I also prefer Analog sound, to any of you other musicians out there in model world...

Aug 15 06 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

byReno wrote:

Don't listen to any of them Frank.  You are the only one left.  They are just just being kind and don't want you to feel totally isolated.  That's what the MM community does, support others. smile

I have to say I agree with your assessment. Most everyone here wants to tell the OP what a dinosaur he is but they're too polite. Personnally I would never tell him that because it isn't nice to call people names no matter how feeble their thinking is.

smile smile smile smile smile smile

Aug 15 06 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

photographybyfrank

Clearwater, Florida, US

byReno wrote:

I don't need any one to be kind , i want the truth.As far as feeling isolated i don't feel that way.I don't use digital because i do not need instant gradation

Aug 15 06 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

TheArchon wrote:
What the hell is "digital" going to replace next, anyway? Television? Books, altogether?

PS> I also prefer Analog sound, to any of you other musicians out there in model world...

I was hoping they would come up with a digital model of the Stepford wife. One you could easily remove the voice box from if you wanted some quiet in the house, you dinosaur!

Aug 15 06 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

James Graham

Brooklyn, New York, US

Yes. No.

Aug 15 06 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

actually for most of my outdoor beauty stuff, and almost anything else i shoot outside, im going back to film as of a few months ago..........theres something that 100+ years of perfercting has given film that digital (in its relative infancy) has not matched yet. ive been shooting digi for 5+ years, currently using the latest and greatest digi equipment, and its amazing (the hassleblad H1d with 22mgpx imacon back), but most of it is best suited for fashion and studio use, which in both cases i prefer it over film, any day. but outdoors and outdoor beauty im still not 100% sold......(im mainly referring to skintone here, and colour rendering, specially of blue sky and sea, not sharpness).
35mm is a no contest, i dont think any 35mm digi camera on the market is better than film, specially outside, specially for sky, sea and skin..

Aug 15 06 12:54 pm Link

Model

TheArchon

Pemberton, New Jersey, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:

I was hoping they would come up with a digital model of the Stepford wife. One you could easily remove the voice box from if you wanted some quiet in the house, you dinosaur!

Good point!!

Aug 15 06 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

exclusively at this point

Aug 15 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I don't need any one to be kind , i want the truth.As far as feeling isolated i don't feel that way.I don't use digital because i do not need instant gradation

dont u mean instant gratification?

Aug 15 06 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

photographybyfrank

Clearwater, Florida, US

Why are the digital shoots repling to this thread,the Question is still are there still film shooters out there. Its not a debate which is better

Aug 15 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

CAP603

Niles, Michigan, US

For black and white work I shoot 120, 4x5, 5x7, 8x10 film. I still like to work in a darkroom,  enjoy the smell of the chemicals, and, although I have been doing this for 40 plus years I still like seeing the image as it appears on paper the first time.  Color work is digital.

Aug 15 06 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Well if it is the truth you are looking for, yes, I shoot film every now and then.  I also do transparencies occasionally.

Aug 15 06 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

byReno wrote:
Well if it is the truth you are looking for, yes, I shoot film every now and then.  I also do transparencies occasionally.

Ummmm.......
If by transparencies you mean E-6 then what you just said is a tad redundant....
(yes i drive a car occasionally and sometimes a Ford too!)

In answer to the OP's question....
I'm shooting a lot of 8x10 BW these days,
and some ektachrome infrared,
and some negatives,
so... Yes, Yes and Yes

But I'm also shooting lots of digital.

Aug 15 06 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

Yo WTF!!!
MM has the so slow I re-pushed the button after waiting 5 minutes for it to go and got double posted bug today.

Aug 15 06 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

photographybyfrank

Clearwater, Florida, US

gavin oneill wrote:

dont u mean instant gratification?

thank you yes my error

Aug 15 06 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Chris Macan wrote:

Ummmm.......
If by transparencies you mean E-6 then what you just said is a tad redundant....
(yes i drive a car occasionally and sometimes a Ford too!)

In answer to the OP's question....
I'm shooting a lot of 8x10 BW these days,
and some ektachrome infrared,
and some negatives,
so... Yes, Yes and Yes

But I'm also shooting lots of digital.

My bad.  I meant to say B&W film and color transparencies.

Aug 15 06 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

byReno wrote:

My bad.  I meant to say B&W film and color transparencies.

I was just busting your stones,
If you're still doing a little film your still cool in my book.

Aug 15 06 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

I love how a debate arises from such a simple question.

I also shoot on film now and then, but not in the studio. Only for my enjoyment and it's all nature stuff. Which none of you will most likely ever see. :-)

I would like to make one little rant.

1. Film Buffs.

Film is awesome, film is proven..And film still has SOME advantages over digital ..Depending on your profenciancy using digital.. Many digital shooters have received results the naked eye can not tell the difference.

2. Digital Buffs

Yes, it is the wave of the future..It will eclipse film one day..Technology will always roll forward and replace much of what we once used.

To all of US

Drop the Friggen High horse egos and "looking down the nose" attitudes when it comes to what format an artist uses. GET OVER yourselves for crying out loud. If you have a preference, use it. Dont thorw attitude and greif over a new format. It's pointless.

Like or not, technology will make EVERYthing obsolete in due time. That is the nature of our world.

Now go shoot something!

Aug 15 06 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Why are the digital shoots repling to this thread,the Question is still are there still film shooters out there. Its not a debate which is better

We're hijacking your thread cause we're better.

Aug 15 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

Vance wrote:
I love how a debate arises from such a simple question.

I also shoot on film now and then, but not in the studio. Only for my enjoyment and it's all nature stuff. Which none of you will most likely ever see. :-)

I would like to make one little rant.

1. Film Buffs.

Film is awesome, film is proven..And film still has SOME advantages over digital ..Depending on your profenciancy using digital.. Many digital shooters have received results the naked eye can not tell the difference.

2. Digital Buffs

Yes, it is the wave of the future..It will eclipse film one day..Technology will always roll forward and replace much of what we once used.

To all of US

Drop the Friggen High horse egos and "looking down the nose" attitudes when it comes to what format an artist uses. GET OVER yourselves for crying out loud. If you have a preference, use it. Dont thorw attitude and greif over a new format. It's pointless.

Like or not, technology will make EVERYthing obsolete in due time. That is the nature of our world.

Now go shoot something!

Somebody is a little cranky today,
it's all good,
relax.

Aug 15 06 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Ridwan

Sterling, Virginia, US

FILM ALL DAY!!!

most of my page is shot on film and a few digital in there...

I am old school guy and i dont care what anybody thinks...

its not the camera you shoot with but the eye and the mind behind it...

a quote from one of my favorite artists...

ME

Aug 15 06 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

James Barry

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm still shooting lots of infrared and a little Ilford b & w.
I love the results from my infrared pix better than digital.

Aug 15 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Kennedy

Brampton, Ontario, Canada

I still shot with film.  I' not smart enough to figure out how to use all of the buttons and menus on a digital camera.

Aug 15 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Film? They make film? You mean I can quit coating emulsion on these damn glass plates!!?

Aug 15 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Chris Macan wrote:
Somebody is a little cranky today,
it's all good,
relax.

You know, I think about this subject a lot. I don't understand the vehemence of the parties involved. It's sort of like the guys that drive pick up trucks and they have baby cartoons in their back window pissing on a truck different from theirs. Where does the satisfaction come from in dissing the other guy. You drive a ford, your cartoon pisses on a Chevy. Did you actually design and build the ford. Did anyone here invent analog wet process photography, did someone here come up with the patent on a chip used in a Canon. Do you think by working in one arena you can't learn something that works in the other. I shot film for 40 years, did I become a worthless dunce overnight. (Watch it) Share and share some more. Pay attention to the film side because it applies to the digital side as well. Pay attention to the digital side cause that's where it's headed. If you rebel against it remember this. You can probably count on one hand the number of guys that go into the field with a pure silver coin and an  egg and make their own emulsion.

Aug 15 06 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

I use film (35 and 120).

I use digital.

I prefer digital simply because of the work flow structure I have that places the money into my wallet.

I can get what I need to get with either (most of the time).

Aug 15 06 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

I'm all film here!  35mm and 120 for me.  Process and print myself.  I love doing things the 'old' way.

Aug 15 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:

You know, I think about this subject a lot. I don't understand the vehemence of the parties involved. It's sort of like the guys that drive pick up trucks and they have baby cartoons in their back window pissing on a truck different from theirs. Where does the satisfaction come from in dissing the other guy. You drive a ford, your cartoon pisses on a Chevy. Did you actually design and build the ford. Did anyone here invent analog wet process photography, did someone here come up with the patent on a chip used in a Canon. Do you think by working in one arena you can't learn something that works in the other. I shot film for 40 years, did I become a worthless dunce overnight. (Watch it) Share and share some more. Pay attention to the film side because it applies to the digital side as well. Pay attention to the digital side cause that's where it's headed. If you rebel against it remember this. You can probably count on one hand the number of guys that go into the field with a pure silver coin and an  egg and make their own emulsion.

Well stated sir bob!

I agree 101% (and that's alot).

Aug 15 06 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

photographybyfrank

Clearwater, Florida, US

Can all you Ego Maniac's get off your high horses, this is not a debate which is best or which any one should use or which will not be around in the future,
It was a simple topic ( are there still film users out there)

Aug 15 06 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

CaliModels

Los Angeles, California, US

Nothing wrong with film. Have a point and shoot digital for convenience. Keep my film work on a different site.

Aug 15 06 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

No. Yes. 120.

-D

Aug 15 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Can all you Ego Maniac's get off your high horses, this is not a debate which is best or which any one should use or which will not be around in the future,
It was a simple topic ( are there still film users out there)

That's not a topic, it's just a question. Everyone was behaving, having a bit of fun and sharing information. Then you decided to start calling names. You're a lot of fun.

Aug 15 06 05:57 pm Link