Forums > General Industry > Industry talk...

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Anyone else notice the amount of 100% contradictory advice that goes out on any given topic about the industry?

Right now there's one going around about killer headshots that is absolutely contradictory to what I'd previously heard about what a model needs in her port which was:

- full body, front/back (or was it front side?)
- Head shot front/side (and maybe 3/4?)
- Non exotic lighting (aka flat)
- No makeup..

I tend to piss off a lot of people who pay their rent with this stuff because I don't take every piece of pro-advice as golden..

This is why.

Listen to the stories of people who've made it..

They don't match.  The advice is not consistent.  And what made it for one person won't necesserily make a success out of the next.

So, here's a thread (of anyone wants it) to discuss inconsistencies in the "FAQs" or gospel of what to do and how to be as a model, photog, stylist, etc..

So the above is my question and I'd love some clarification, but feel free to add your own..

Aug 15 06 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Take what you can use and leave the rest.

Aug 15 06 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said, " And what made it for one person won't necesserily make a success out of the next. "

I think this is generally true in any of the creative or entertainment professions.

If you want to be a dentist or a nurse or an electrician, there is a very clear path for you to follow, and everyone entering those professions follows almost exactly the same well-trodden path.

But in the creative world, the path is rarely clear and well-marked. Some people with advanced degrees fail to achieve success. Some people who literally fell off the back of a farm truck become monster stars. There are as many paths to success as there are artists, and what worked perfectly for one person just doesn't work at all for another.

I was just watching a great Tori Amos interview last night -- she told the story about how she sent a demo to Clive Davis -- a starmaker if there ever was one -- and he told her she would never go anywhere -- she really needed to stop making music and go back to college. If she had listened to that "professional" advice, the world would have been deprived of a major talent.

John Grisham, the famous author has kept copies of the dozens of rejection letters he received before he became a monster best-selling author.

And then you have the opposite effect, like Microsoft "Bob." Microsoft spent over a million dollars on market research for this project, and were absolutely convinced it was going to change the world. It bombed horribly.

I think the problem is that most of us personalize the world too much -- we learn too well from our own experiences, and are too quick to offer up our preferences and approach as the only legimate path to success.

The problem with this is the world is ever-changing, and what worked in one time and place will not necessarily work here, today. Even more importantly, what works for an established pro will rarely work for a newcomer to the business. So the longer we stay in the business, the less useful our advice becomes.

I worked for years for a Fortune 100 CEO who started off as an entrepeneurial genius. The key to his success was his deep understanding of the public's tastes and preferences. But as he became more successful and started living the life of a billionaire, he became increasingly out of touch with the world us "little people" lived in, and he failed to understand that his instincts were no longer good ones. He started making bad calls about products and services because the world he lived in now had very little to do with the world that his average customer inhabited. But he just couldn't see how much he had changed, so he kept trying to repeat his early successes by following his instincts, and failed miserably.

It's fascinating to watch!

Paul

Aug 15 06 02:16 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

WG Rowland wrote:
Right now there's one going around about killer headshots that is absolutely contradictory to what I'd previously heard about what a model needs in her port which was:

- full body, front/back (or was it front side?)
- Head shot front/side (and maybe 3/4?)
- Non exotic lighting (aka flat)
- No makeup..

absolutely true.....it blows me away sometimes to hear certain people giving advice about how to 'make it' and then i notice their book and its absolute crap.....!

THERE IS NO RECIPE people!!!!! what makes u succeed is just having things in your book that are beautiful, just things that people want to look at. no fashion editor, model agency, or 'industry' person ive ever met has said to a model "i really like your book, your pictures are stunning, you're amazing, wow,......but you are missing a 3/4 head shot from the right, so we're gonna have to pass, thanks for coming"  :-/

Aug 15 06 04:34 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Glad others are as confused as I am.. But there is still a question on the table:

- Glamourshots/Actor's CompCard headshots, or...
- unadorned, show me what you look like headshots..

Or better yet, skip the a or b and someone who knows what they're talking about tell us when you would need one and why, and when you would need the other... And why..

Aug 15 06 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

If you want to make it REALLY big in this industry, listen to me and only me. If you don't listen to me I'll make sure you never work again!

Aug 15 06 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Yes, sir.. I'll get back to washing the dishes..

Did you and Black Ricco want your breakfast in bed, or were you two going to get out of there before noon?

Aug 15 06 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

WG Rowland wrote:
Yes, sir.. I'll get back to washing the dishes..

Did you and Black Ricco want your breakfast in bed, or were you two going to get out of there before noon?

Well, since he is no longer able to post, I have absolutely no fear of him and can tell you the truth of the matter. Currently in an effort to learn how to become a quality photographer he has become my junior assisstant's assistant. He is in the back room sweeping the floor and straightening my files. Later he will be washing my car and then picking up my dry cleaning. The wife and I are having friends over for a casual dinner where he will be serving only the salad portion of the meal because as you know from previous posts, I prefer the spinning salad and he has shown himself to be good at sitting and spinning.

Aug 15 06 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Whoops.. This is turning into a bashing in absentia thread..  Don't know if it's against MM rules.. But I'm not too fond of em..

HEADSHOTS?  Anyone?  Anyone?

Aug 15 06 09:06 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

WG Rowland wrote:
Glad others are as confused as I am.. But there is still a question on the table:

- Glamourshots/Actor's CompCard headshots, or...
- unadorned, show me what you look like headshots..

Or better yet, skip the a or b and someone who knows what they're talking about tell us when you would need one and why, and when you would need the other... And why..

surely it just comes down to a) what suits u, or b) what uve been able to get in your shoots so far (ie, what pictures u have as options for what to use)?
i think telling photographers what u need for your book, is kinda futile and naive, and there is little difference between that and a 5'4" 28 year old very commercial model with implants telling a photographer "i need something more 'edgy' for my book"! (all those descriptions are not based on anyone in particular wink.
as i said earlier, there is no recipe for what will impress people and what will get booked, and outside of the basic parameters of an 'actors headshot' and a fashion one, anyone who trys to tell you about 'specific' things u need in a headshot is probably out of the loop a little. what u need is a KILLER headshot, regardless of how it would be catagorised......just get a great headshot and use it.

as with the basics of model/photographer relationships, i would think the model would inspire a good photographer to shoot what she is capable of shooting, and there would lie the answer as to what to use for your headshot. generally what u are best for is what u will get hired for....

Aug 15 06 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

gavin oneill wrote:
surely it just comes down to a) what suits u, or b) what uve been able to get in your shoots so far (ie, what pictures u have as options for what to use)?
i think telling photographers what u need for your book, is kinda futile and naive, and there is little difference between that and a 5'4" 28 year old very commercial model with implants telling a photographer "i need something more 'edgy' for my book"! (all those descriptions are not based on anyone in particular wink.
as i said earlier, there is no recipe for what will impress people and what will get booked, and outside of the basic parameters of an 'actors headshot' and a fashion one, anyone who trys to tell you about 'specific' things u need in a headshot is probably out of the loop a little. what u need is a KILLER headshot, regardless of how it would be catagorised......just get a great headshot and use it.

as with the basics of model/photographer relationships, i would think the model would inspire a good photographer to shoot what she is capable of shooting, and there would lie the answer as to what to use for your headshot. generally what u are best for is what u will get hired for....

Yes.. But a model with eyes on the dollar signs does have a specific audience.. One that's outside of my purvue (as a shooter of things artsy, fartsy, and crap) to direct her on.  Specifically: the agency. 

Here is where the advice gets confusing..  The agency (I believe these mythical places exist in a suburb a few blocks south from Valhalla) already knows what a good photographer can do to you.. And thus, as I understand it, just wants to see you.. Unadorned, without makeup or lights or the shop photographique..  And thus.. The "killer" headshot need not apply.  And yet there are other situations where obviously you want to show your book, and you want the viewer to find him/her/itself uncontrollably wetting themselves with unexpected extatic bliss..

But does the uncontrolled bed wetting get you the next job, or is it the county jail mug shot..

I'm not even an aspiring model and I'm confused.. 

Which is why I begin to wonder if the advice of just any and every photog who's figured out how to make him/her/itself a monthly paycheck out of the clicky-clicky and the photo-shoppy is actually going to translate into success or failure for a model who may well have a very different set of needs for producing that same monthly check...

Aug 15 06 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

WG Rowland wrote:
Whoops.. This is turning into a bashing in absentia thread..  Don't know if it's against MM rules.. But I'm not too fond of em..

HEADSHOTS?  Anyone?  Anyone?

Not bashing, kinda hoping he's reading this so he can come back on and kick my ass. I miss the fun days of MM.

Aug 15 06 09:16 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

WG Rowland wrote:
But does the uncontrolled bed wetting get you the next job, or is it the county jail mug shot..

i think an agency would generally ask for the 'mugshot' headshot either if u are the kind of model who can pull off that look (which very few can), or [mainly] to show people (photographers) they wish to propose you to the 'raw you' to try to inspire them with a fresh canvas.........but i think you are really talking about a polaroid v a headshot?? somewhere along the way, this 'raw' polaroid look has made its way into peoples portfolios and into some editorial magazines.....but unless you are a member of the top section of the modelling world, i wouldnt go putting the 'mugshot' on your comp card or anything.....just stick with the objective of getting yourself a great headshot.

the question of models worrying about which of the 2 they need can often just be the misperception of thinking they are in the 'top section'.....

Aug 15 06 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

WG Rowland wrote:
Here is where the advice gets confusing..  The agency (I believe these mythical places exist in a suburb a few blocks south from Valhalla) already knows what a good photographer can do to you.. And thus, as I understand it, just wants to see you.. Unadorned, without makeup or lights or the shop photographique..  And thus.. The "killer" headshot need not apply.  And yet there are other situations where obviously you want to show your book, and you want the viewer to find him/her/itself uncontrollably wetting themselves with unexpected extatic bliss..

Here's the problem:  people treat agencies as though they were generic, and whatever one or a few of them that someone has experienced, or read about, wants is the Laws Of The Industry.  We see it all the time.

The trouble is, it isn't so.  What agencies want depends on the type of agency, their location, and their relationships to other agencies.  There is huge variance, and any "one-size-fits-all" advice is absolutely going to be wrong for some agencies.

There are generally applicable guidelines that can be applied to commercial agencies, which are different from fashion print agencies, which are different from editorial fashion agencies, which are completely different from talent agencies which also do modeling.  And people don't understand that.

Aug 15 06 09:28 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Thank you guys..  These are the kind of discussions that I look for, but seldom see in the "advice from pros" threads..

Not knocking the concept of a "Killer Headshot".. But where does it apply?  Who should it be used to market to, and so on....

There's a lot more questions and bits of advice I've seen come up that have left me similarly scratching my head.. But I'm not awake yet, so I'm hoping someone else will pop in here and ask some..

Aug 15 06 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

I can give an example of how a model from here was picked up by Stewart Talent in Chicago. I was producing a self promotion piece that required tons of talent. I shot 156 people in a two day period. Most were from Stewart Talent, but a few were stragglers from word of mouth and a casting notice I posted on line. The booking agent for commercial adults noticed a particular head shot and called the guy in for an interview. After the interview he was signed as an exclusive talent. His name is Orion Alapack.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=98835

Here is the head shot that the agent saw. Hope this helps some of you.

https://www.robert-randall.com/MM/Orion.jpg

Aug 15 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

WG Rowland wrote:
Not knocking the concept of a "Killer Headshot".. But where does it apply?  Who should it be used to market to, and so on....

It applies to everyone.  I can't think of a single modeling category (except perhaps art nudes) where it doesn't apply.

The trouble is, what constitutes a "killer headshot" is different from one person (or one application, or one agency, or one type of modeling) to the next.  It's understanding those differences that are important for an aspiring model, or a photographer who wants to really be able to produce what a model needs.

Most of the people giving advice about these things honestly don't know how to assess a model's needs against the demands of the market and deliver in the right style.  And most Internet photographers shooting "model portfolios" don't either.  But since lack of knowledge is no bar to giving advice (or shooting "portfolios"), it's no surprise that so much wrong information is put out on the forums.

Aug 15 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Here's the problem:  people treat agencies as though they were generic, and whatever one or a few of them that someone has experienced, or read about, wants is the Laws Of The Industry.  We see it all the time.

And in addition to the posts you've made in this thread, we also have to deal with the phenomenon of industry outsiders, who heard or read snippets of information, studied ANTM closely, and build their own ideas on how the industry ought to be in their "common sense" opinion.

Or someone who is a local "big cheese" in a small town who hired two models from a local talent agency and uses that "experience" to give steadfast advise how the industry works and what is required.

People with real world experience in major national and international markets, such as yourself are often "ridiculed" for being... what do they always say?... hmmmmhmmm... oh, yeah: Narrow minded! big_smile

Aug 15 06 10:00 am Link

Model

Isys Entertainment

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

**Sits back with a full cup of coffee and listens***

Aug 15 06 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I'm sure I'm ticking off the industry insiders as much as everyone else, but it's kind of my point..  I come at this as an outsider coming to a forum and thinking, "If I was new and a model.. How would I discern good advice from bad.."

The best answer I've come up with is those who say, I did this and this was the result are more useful than those who say you do this and this will happen..

That's all I'm trying to get at..

How much people know or how much experience they have doesn't translate across the page in a forum..  So good advice blend with bad advice and how one filters is a mystery..

Aug 15 06 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

UdoR wrote:
People with real world experience in major national and international markets, such as yourself are often "ridiculed" for being... what do they always say?... hmmmmhmmm... oh, yeah: Narrow minded! big_smile

I've never heard anyone refer to TX as narrow minded. Dull, cretin, lethargic, stupid, moron, empty-headed, overbearing, overbearing, know it all, pathetic, sinister, ghoulish, monster, effete, coward, snob, mean, shallow, has been, could a been, should a been, imperious, did I say know it all, yeah, I got know it all. There were more but in the spirit of enforced cooperation I should limit what I've heard to a dull roar so as not to awaken the boss.

smile

Aug 15 06 10:12 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Bob knows what he is talking about (waiting for those amazing edits Bob...stop posterbating) and I need to talk to him more about releases. Photos for personal use vs. professional releases. Or is that too specific a topic?

Aug 15 06 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:
Dull, cretin, lethargic, stupid, moron, empty-headed, overbearing, overbearing, know it all, pathetic, sinister, ghoulish, monster, effete, coward, snob, mean, shallow, has been, could a been, should a been, imperious, did I say know it all, yeah, I got know it all.

Bullshit!

Nobody has ever called me effete.

Aug 15 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Nope..

I think a discussion on release would be useful..

Professional release.
Test release.
TFP release.
Manual release (for the GWCs).. etc..

Aug 15 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Sooo who do I poison go get to be Bob's assistant around here???

I like WG a lot but he is in a higher position than BR right now????

Aug 15 06 10:21 am Link

Model

Isys Entertainment

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

WG Rowland wrote:
Nope..

Professional release.
Test release.
TFP release.

Please No..then the "Usual Suspects" will come through...

Have you seen some of the release discussions..man It feels like getting lost in the vortex..I have come to the conclusion that those are some of the most long winded topics on MM...

I hate case law now..really I do..

Or maybe we could  have a great release discussion..who knows...

Ok I will shut up now!

Aug 15 06 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

WG Rowland wrote:
Nope..

Professional release.
Test release.
TFP release.

I really do want to know about this one.
I have not figured out the whole releace for art system yet at all.

So far I'm trying to get a full releace for everything unless it is only practice and I have no choice or it is a private client and discresion is what counts.

Aug 15 06 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Experimental Photoworks wrote:
Sooo who do I poison go get to be Bob's assistant around here???

I like WG a lot but he is in a higher position than BR right now????

There's a list:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=67881

Technically I started it, but that weasel Black Ricco slept his way straight to the top..

So.. Get in there..

Everyone wants a piece of Bob..

Aug 15 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Here is the comp card that Orion now uses. I don't know if any of this is helping, but I think it should be helpful.

https://www.robert-randall.com/MM/orion%20alapack.jpg

Aug 15 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

I don't want a piece of him, I just want to eat his brains.....

*slurp*

Aug 15 06 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Bullshit!

Nobody has ever called me effete.

Can we start now?

Aug 15 06 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

UdoR wrote:

And in addition to the posts you've made in this thread, we also have to deal with the phenomenon of industry outsiders, who heard or read snippets of information, studied ANTM closely, and build their own ideas on how the industry ought to be in their "common sense" opinion.

Or someone who is a local "big cheese" in a small town who hired two models from a local talent agency and uses that "experience" to give steadfast advise how the industry works and what is required.

yup and their are a few on here I have met in person, what they say they do and what they really do don't quite match...

Even with those who work in "the industry" each persons job and way of doing things is diffrent.

Aug 15 06 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

BTW.. Quick note before I take off for the bank:

I started this thread for the want-to-be models.. Not the ones who've worked, got an angle, and are making things go forward, but the ones who start a portfolio that states I'm 5'4" and I want to be the next supermodel.  In other words, the ones with high hopes and no clue..

They're too damned ripe for abuse, and there's too many people who want to abuse them.  From the true professional who's run out of patience, to the GWC who wants to leverage their naive' natures, and everyone inbetween..

These are the ones who, I think, read these forums most seriously.  Believe what they read.. And at that point I have to wonder.. How do you discern, well, ANYTHING from this mess?  Pro's who offer harsh, but honest advice sound like malcontents who just like fucking with people (and there's plenty of those here, too..), which goes contrary to hobbyists who may be more than happy to work with a person who doesn't fit the profile.. Might even be willing to pay while they're learning their chops..  And even worse, mixes in with flattery from jerks and pervs who's motives aren't very nice at all...

People get so wrapped up in who they are and the value of their words I wonder how many actually attempt to put themselves in the shoes of those they're talking to..

That's all..

I like pie.

Aug 15 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

WG Rowland wrote:
Everyone wants a piece of Bob..

I'm a human being you know, there's more to me than just Photoshop, I have feelings too.

Aug 15 06 10:36 am Link

Model

Isys Entertainment

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Bob you screwed up the page...lol

Aug 15 06 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Isys Entertainment wrote:
Bob you screwed up the page...lol

Because I'm such a genius!  Should be OK now.

Aug 15 06 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

UdoR wrote:

Since MM has lots (probably most) of people in, working towards, aspiring to be in "the industry" i.e. making money off of photography in a commercial venue, and since there are a number of industry insiders like______  (fill in the blank with your faves)  why doesn't MM institute an "ask the pro" forum.  Where a group of pre=approved mods (a panel) can answer selected questions and give answer that aren't tainted by non-pros?  You can cover all the basic questions and have all the answers so that when newbies try and ask the question again you just send them to the "ask the pro" forum.

I think it would relieve a bit of the friction that arrives when non-pros say stuff wrong, and then pros react with irritation, rolling of eyes, and then the non-pro responds with animosity, and then a bitchfest happens.   Why not just draw lines in the sand an nip all of this in the bud....?

Aug 15 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

WG,

your above essay is not about modeling it is about life.

Hell I have been going to night clubs for over a decade and have seen the same scene you just described over and over again guys use just to get laid, then there are your real guy friends, then there are your "friends" who hope and pray you get drunk enough to have sex with them.

I have seen the same thing in all of my jobs, one boss hands out promises like candy, another is sleeping with half the crew, the old school manager is an ass but he is the only one who CAN promote you. but he won't because you are too young and headstrong and you need to mellow out....

I was witness to a very bad abusive situation a while back and after a friend an I  talked to the girl about her date and offered to help her out a bit she left.

My comment on the whole situation was this  "you know I think she is more dangerous then he is". he agreed with me she was the one who not only didn't stop him but accepted his behavior.

The girls who are prone to be targets will be targets if they are models or waitresses, or nurses, or anything....

We ca try but it is up to them.

Aug 15 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

Since MM has lots (probably most) of people in, working towards, aspiring to be in "the industry" i.e. making money off of photography in a commercial venue, and since there are a number of industry insiders like______  (fill in the blank with your faves)  why doesn't MM institute an "ask the pro" forum.  Where a group of pre=approved mods (a panel) can answer selected questions and give answer that aren't tainted by non-pros?  You can cover all the basic questions and have all the answers so that when newbies try and ask the question again you just send them to the "ask the pro" forum.

That is an outstanding idea. smile

I will put it into the moderator forum for discussion!

Aug 15 06 11:18 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

It is a super great idea.

I'd voleenteer for published independent internet art whore advice,

You know I can do it.

Aug 15 06 11:21 am Link