Forums > General Industry > Having trouble with an agency ...I think

Model

Juliette Tinelle Ollie

Los Angeles, California, US

ok so I've been with 3 agencies in the past two years, none of them have really been working out for me, the one I'm with now seemed to be really interested in me at first but now they seem to be giving me the cold shoulder, I mean, maybe that's just what I feel is going on but I'm not really sure why I always go through this with agencies. Is there something wrong with me personally? Am I just impatient? Honestly, I just want some real solid opinions about this because maybe I'm giving off the wrong impression to people. I've been doing what they told me to do, get photos, get my hair colored, build up my wardrobe etc. The agencies I've been with so far have been legit too btw, could it be because I'm not a party animal or because of my financial situation or my mother? I seriously have no idea, and if you want me to go into more detail, I definately can...but maybe I'm just seeking advice, excuse me if I posted this in the wrong section as well... I have tons of questions...

Aug 14 06 04:32 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

First thing you need to do is to trash about 3/4 [or more] of the shots you have posted here.

The second thing is to find a photographer to do some really clean, well lit, shots in the right genre and style for the kind of work you are looking for to replace them with.

Studio36

Aug 14 06 04:46 am Link

Model

Juliette Tinelle Ollie

which shots exactly would you tell me to get rid of, I know some of them aren't as "professional looking" as the others but I'd like to know your opinion on them to see what others may see that I don't

Aug 14 06 04:51 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Keep these:

https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1150365

https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1036252

https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=878043

https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=877326

Revise these or get them out:

https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1009541  [needs some editing to lighten the R side of your face - otherwise it should go]

https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=877294  [I would re-crop this one. The dress itself is doing you NO favours - otherwise it should go]

----

These just have to go:

As to my least favourites and the first to go?

Obviously the first three on top

https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1150918

https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1150909

https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1150900

and this one https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1150354 [which, to be frank, makes you look like a whacked out crack whore]

Just my OPINION. You would be better served with only the 4 reasonable shots than all the 14 you have posted.

Studio36

Aug 14 06 05:14 am Link

Model

Juliette Tinelle Ollie

lol you made me laugh, sadly I took those top 3 cuz I was bored, they aren't professional in any way lol I don't think I'd be allowed to edit someone else's photos but I'll keep the ones in there that you like and delete the rest, I'd rather have a few good ones then a bunch of unpleasant ones, thanks for the response smile

oh and the one with the "dress" isn't a dress, I was wearing a halter top and jeans lol that's actually the pic my agency likes the best

Aug 14 06 05:20 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

is your agency a major?

you mention your financial situation and your mother? why would your agency be aware of either?

are you not getting sent out, or not booking the jobs?

is your portfolio here reflective of what is in your book?

what division does your agency have you in/what board are you listed on? how often do you speak with your booker?

Aug 14 06 05:24 am Link

Model

Juliette Tinelle Ollie

is your agency a major?
I'm with Uber-Warning, says so on my profile, I heard they're a boutique agency..

you mention your financial situation and your mother? why would your agency be aware of either?
well...the whole world usually knows of my financial situation cuz I'm jobless and they wanted to know what I was doing as a job... and my mother..long story but basically she's in every aspect of my negative life, she's gone through so much surgery and causes me tons of stress etc. and she walked into the agency with me sadly and went to a party with me that the agency invited me to..sadly..

are you not getting sent out, or not booking the jobs?
not getting sent out

is your portfolio here reflective of what is in your book?
I don't really have a portfolio but the photos that my agency has of me are the ones by Dove Shore..

what division does your agency have you in/what board are you listed on? how often do you speak with your booker?
no idea, and I never speak to the booker, kinda scared to talk to anyone really knowing my past experiences with agencies never sending me out and getting mad at me if I merely check in...

Aug 14 06 05:28 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Juliette Tinelle wrote:
oh and the one with the "dress" isn't a dress, I was wearing a halter top and jeans lol that's actually the pic my agency likes the best

Actually not a bad shot except that you look, let me describe it this way... a bit rumpled.

There is even a bit of creasing below the left breast that could have been, should have been, photoshopped out... or ironed out before you wore it.

Studio36

Aug 14 06 05:35 am Link

Model

Juliette Tinelle Ollie

as in chubby? I'm lost lol the "dress" was one-two sizes too big for me but I bought it anyway cuz I thought it looked cute lol

Aug 14 06 05:36 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Juliette Tinelle wrote:
as in chubby? I'm lost lol the "dress" was one-two sizes too big for me but I bought it anyway cuz I thought it looked cute lol

No not "chubby"... heck you don't even have a tummy much less anything "chubby"... more like just having got dressed out of the "clean pile."

Ahhhhhh, just looked again. Much better presentation of you overall.

Studio36

Aug 14 06 05:43 am Link

Model

Juliette Tinelle Ollie

oh...duh... I get what you're saying now... ok, note to self, always make sure that clothes look exceptionally prestine tongue my agency did mention that I need some swimsuit shots..do you think that's the problem? They don't seem to be helping me with those though..

Aug 14 06 05:46 am Link

Model

Juliette Tinelle Ollie

Thank you (for that added comment you just posted) I have to go to bed now, it's 4am and I have to be at court at 1:30pm (grr) so I'll check this board out when I get up in 7 hours, thanks for your advice so far, and keep on posting and keep in touch.. goodnight wherever you are

Aug 14 06 05:50 am Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Hi..

First agencies will only give you work when they can sell your face to a client of theirs. Now, if the clients are not interested or if they are 'pushing' other models over you then you will not here much from them.

Its all about sales. Can your face and look be sold to a client of theirs? If it is then you are busy and making money. Its a very simple business.

Some agencies just collect as many Models as they can and try to get them any type of work such as promotional work (handing out flyers in a skimpy dress). This is usually the extent of their work because most of the print stuff is covered by the large agencies in the big cities (Ford, Elite..etc)

So as for you, keep working your craft, stay in shape, keep growing your portfolio, keep going to 'go sees' and auditions. If someone likes your look they will hire you.

Good luck.

M

Aug 14 06 05:52 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Juliette Tinelle wrote:
oh...duh... I get what you're saying now... ok, note to self, always make sure that clothes look exceptionally prestine tongue my agency did mention that I need some swimsuit shots..do you think that's the problem? They don't seem to be helping me with those though..

You could get some... the ones you had showed your figure nicely except they were not good clean images to be showing around if you want to use them seeking work.

You also need to get at least one good headshot in there too.

Studio36

Aug 14 06 05:52 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

You've gotten some good advice here, but ultimately the answers need to come from your agency.  Scared or not, go see your booker.  Sit down at his desk and talk to him, ask the questions you have asked us.

Aug 14 06 07:22 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

TXPhotog wrote:
You've gotten some good advice here, but ultimately the answers need to come from your agency.  Scared or not, go see your booker.  Sit down at his desk and talk to him, ask the questions you have asked us.

Amen.
if you don't push your career noone will. you're only annoying until you book work, then all the attitude from your booker goes away. but you wont book if they don't send you out... so you have to pester a bit. and find out if there is anything you can do to make yourself more marketable. oh... btw, do NOT labor your agency with your personal problems... ever.

Aug 14 06 07:31 am Link

Model

Ivy Jo

Amarillo, Texas, US

And when you go see your booker, bring donuts/mini muffins. Ask if you can help him/them out. SUCK UP. I know not a pleasant or natural suggestion, but it works.

Aug 14 06 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ivy Bressler wrote:
And when you go see your booker, bring donuts/mini muffins. Ask if you can help him/them out. SUCK UP. I know not a pleasant or natural suggestion, but it works.

Very good advice.

Aug 14 06 08:06 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Make sure your agency is a legitimate, licensed agency and not some fly by night wannabee at http://www.dir.ca.gov/databases/dlselr/Talag.html .

Aug 14 06 11:45 am Link

Model

Juliette Tinelle Ollie

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
Hi..

First agencies will only give you work when they can sell your face to a client of theirs. Now, if the clients are not interested or if they are 'pushing' other models over you then you will not here much from them.

Its all about sales. Can your face and look be sold to a client of theirs? If it is then you are busy and making money. Its a very simple business.

Some agencies just collect as many Models as they can and try to get them any type of work such as promotional work (handing out flyers in a skimpy dress). This is usually the extent of their work because most of the print stuff is covered by the large agencies in the big cities (Ford, Elite..etc)

So as for you, keep working your craft, stay in shape, keep growing your portfolio, keep going to 'go sees' and auditions. If someone likes your look they will hire you.

Good luck.

M

Thanks Mark for your response, I'll keep building my portfolio and hopefully something good will come of it wink

Aug 14 06 01:21 pm Link

Model

Juliette Tinelle Ollie

studio36uk wrote:

You could get some... the ones you had showed your figure nicely except they were not good clean images to be showing around if you want to use them seeking work.

You also need to get at least one good headshot in there too.

Studio36

what do you mean by good clean images? what would classify as a good clean swimwear image? and yes, I'd like to have some good headshots too..

Aug 14 06 01:22 pm Link

Model

Juliette Tinelle Ollie

TXPhotog wrote:

true I need to do this

Aug 14 06 01:23 pm Link

Model

Juliette Tinelle Ollie

oldguysrule wrote:
Amen.
if you don't push your career noone will. you're only annoying until you book work, then all the attitude from your booker goes away. but you wont book if they don't send you out... so you have to pester a bit. and find out if there is anything you can do to make yourself more marketable. oh... btw, do NOT labor your agency with your personal problems... ever.

I never wanted to labor them with that, it's just my mom came in with me and started talking about all of it "I'm on disability, I have no money, she doesn't work right now bla bla bla" it's insanely annoying and she's done it to the other 2 agencies as well...sighs and one of them was a big name agency

Aug 14 06 01:25 pm Link

Model

Juliette Tinelle Ollie

Thank you everyone for your advice!! I'll talk to my agent this week (can't today cuz of court) but I will use everyone's advice here.. thank you smile

Aug 14 06 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Juliette Tinelle wrote:
what do you mean by good clean images? what would classify as a good clean swimwear image? and yes, I'd like to have some good headshots too..

Crisp, sharp, well posed, well lit, good colour - all the things the ones you had weren't. And the gear should be relatively conservative - can be high cut to lengthen your legs - but no micro top and thong/string/dental floss bottoms.

Studio36

Aug 14 06 01:29 pm Link

Model

Juliette Tinelle Ollie

well the ones I had were taken in my bedroom on my little 4MP digital.. lol but yea, I wouldn't wear a thong for anyone lol and I have a cute bikini (better than the one you saw) I just need to find a photographer who can shoot it nicely..and a makeup artist and hair stylist, urrrr I need everything and no money to put forth toward it, I need a job too...sighs

Aug 14 06 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Juliette Tinelle wrote:
I just need to find a photographer who can shoot it nicely..and a makeup artist and hair stylist, urrrr I need everything and no money to put forth toward it, I need a job too...sighs

There are a few guys around here that might help you out - considering your personal circumstances - and that are from your area. Just ask nicely. If that doesn't work... you can always beg. LOL

Studio36

Aug 14 06 02:04 pm Link

Model

Juliette Tinelle Ollie

Well I'm in touch with a few photographers who can possibly help me out, one shoot even with my pets smile so hopefully these all turn out good

Aug 14 06 06:14 pm Link

Model

Ivy Jo

Amarillo, Texas, US

Kill your mother.... Just kidding.

But really, sounds like you need to keep her out of the loop. Like don't tell her what agency your with.

Aug 14 06 07:05 pm Link

Model

Juliette Tinelle Ollie

lol how many times have I thought of that...no seriously

sadly I live with her cuz she needs help at times, she's had 2 brain aneurysms, 2 hip replacements and a knee surgery so I feel like I'm stuck with her, she knows everything about my career sadly... if I lived alone, I'd probably feel better about myself even and be better off..it's sad really lol

Aug 14 06 07:13 pm Link