Forums > General Industry > Photographers, please answer this...

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Goodness,
Ths is a touchy question...

I will be honest as honest can be.

I havent had any vision as of yet that included a plus size model. My focus has been that o heading into two specific markets, again which doesnt as of yet include plus sized models. I will add, I dont shoot pets, Buildings, cars...etc...

TRUE Art for Arts sake potgraphers are your best bet. Look for porfolios which represent who you are.

If you look at my port you can clearly see where my vision lies.

I've been turned down by plenty of models because my portfolio didnt strike them as a needed addition to their work.  Such is life.

Now one last not..and I say this with love..

Quit focusing on your "look" and focus on your IMAGE...

Create work that inspires..you will see things turn around soon.
I shoot much more these days because more of my work inspires and draws people in. I hope to continue that trend as I grow as a Phorgrapher.

Best wishes, and remeber..

You chose a very harsh world to join..

Full of egos and stereotypes..
make a path and surge onward..enjoy the journey and keep smiling..
life is short..

Vance

Aug 16 06 02:05 am Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

Lisa Lee Photography wrote:
Do you specifically mean why won't they work with you for free, or why won't they pay to work with you, or why won't you let you pay them to work with them?

I very very seldom work for free - TFP is seldom free for the photog - we buy equipment, we put several hours AFTER the models is done with the shoot editing, etc - that said, I will work TFP with a model that meets my need at that time or whom I have a great respect for their work and desire to work with them.  Besides, I don't have TIME - I stay booked pretty solid between my agency work and paid work - TFP is usually time I don't have.

If the tog is paying the model, then they are ONLY going to hire the model that fits their vision EXACTLY.  Why should they be required to pay someone who DOESN'T fit that vision?  I'm only hiring someone for my company that is what I want and need - not some who feels like I owe them that position.  You don't hire a secretary that can't type, becuase you ned a typist.  You don't hire a doctor who can't read a thermometer - they wouldn't meet your need.  Why give good money to someone who isn't what you need?

I seriously doubt most togs are turning you don't if you're willing to pay them.  So, maybe, if there is someone you want to shoot with, but who doesn't do TFP or doesn't need to pay for your services, you should consider paying THEM to shoot you.  Afterall, THIS IS A BUSINESS.  We're not out to be voted "most congenial" (though that would be nice) - we're trying to build our businesses and be successful and secure.  It's like any other industry.  Most mechanics don't fix your car for free, a restaurant won't give you your food for free, why should a photographer be required to give you his or her services for free?  If you want to work with them, make an offer.  Who knows, maybe you can work out a deal.

Good luck.smile

She's talking about art modeling. I have never heard of any art model who makes a habit of paying photographers, because to do so would be silly. She also did not state that she was looking for paying work. The "business" of art photography and modeling is substantially different from the one in which you partake. Take your argument to someone looking to do commercial, ta.

Aug 16 06 02:22 am Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

Madalyn wrote:
Why do you guys advertise for art photography and say you do that, but reject girls (bigger girls like myself) to work with? I dont understand how you could do "artistic work" with someone much much skinner than I am.  Just give me some reason why...k?

I need a skinny asian girl so I scheduled a shoot with a skinny asian girl on thursday. Tell me why you would be a better skinny asian girl than an actual skinny asian girl and I'll fly you over.

Aug 16 06 02:48 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Madalyn wrote:
Why do you guys advertise for art photography and say you do that, but reject girls (bigger girls like myself) to work with? I dont understand how you could do "artistic work" with someone much much skinner than I am.  Just give me some reason why...k?

PS: sorry for the spelling errors and grammar, its like uber early for me :-p

Artistic means (hopefully) that the photographer has a vision. I don't think "artistic work" is synonymous with big or small. Are you saying you don't think it's artistic if the model is much much skinnier than you? And by artistic do you mean artistic nude? I realize you probably mean you're being rejected for shoots because of your size? But many models of all sizes are rejected for projects for many reasons - height, weight, hair color, physique, etc. - I just think being rejected based on weight is perhaps a bit more of a sensitive issue. If a photographer rejected you because of shoe size would that be as offensive? Definitely a sensitive area but all models (and photographers) are rejected on a regular basis for many reasons.

Maybe you were rejected because of poor spelling. Everybody knows that skinny models spell better smile

Aug 16 06 02:58 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
Why is it that a skinnier girl cant do artistic work? Sounds like youre being just as ignorant as the photographers you mentioned.

You just said what I said in about 1,000 less words lol.

Aug 16 06 03:00 am Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

To reply to the OP's actual question: I have found that a lot of the time, there are two types of models in which artistic photographers (and fine artists) are most interested: Those who are very versatile, and can be moulded to fit many different moods and looks; and those who are very unique and distinctive. Picking two random examples, you see how popular models like Shyly and Wynd Mulysa are? They are very original, both in personality and appearance. And thus many artists clamour to work with them, even though they absolutely do not fit the mould of what most people think of when they think of "models."

I strongly suspect that your problem is not so much your weight, but that you do not have an especially striking or remarkable look, and do not appear to have much range. Try getting a few shots for your portfolio where you aren't just standing around making the same bland, cutesy face and your luck may change.

Aug 16 06 03:05 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Something that is being missed here. Most of the photographers on here aren't fine arts photographers. That's what you are looking for and should target on here. Many on this site are mainstream photographers.

I'm a student/photography major working in both commercial and fine arts. But also covering every field in photography and outside of photography to combine it together.

As for your size, it's not an issue with me at all, but it just boils down to if I need you for that project. I don't shoot any model if be tall, short, skinny or fat. There has to be a reason behind this. And I'm going back to my old plan that I had started on in here and narrowing down to what body type that I'm looking for, for my shoots.

I'll be back in school in a few more weeks and will need models for my advertisement and people photography assignments. I'm looking to do some Editorial.

Aug 16 06 03:17 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

It makes a point for all of these people getting tattoos. Dont! Buy the stick on ones for a night out. With all that ink on you what am I gonna do with it? You placed someone elses art on the canvas and want others to photograph it. I am not in the bussiness of copying artwork.

Aug 16 06 08:54 am Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

I was going to mention the tattoos as well; I knew I forgot something... Well. Tattoos will not necessarily destroy an art model's career - Wynd and Envy don't seem to have problems finding work - but the kind of tattoos you have will have bearing on how well you do. Very interesting, beautiful, unique ones might encourage artists who are not completely anti-tattoo to want to work with you, even if they might not have otherwise. OP, yours are...well...trying to be diplomatic...can't... Okay, they're stupid. I said it. That little chibi-fairy thing on your arm? Any artist who wants to make you look serious is going to run into the wall with that thing. All of your tattoos look like they came out of vending machines. They're generic and poorly done. That's a problem. A few people might be willing to put up with them or take the trouble to Photoshop them out, but a lot won't bother, especially with someone who isn't established and, as I pointed out, doesn't have a terribly impressive portfolio to begin with. Next time, plan a little more before getting stuff permanently inked on yourself?

Aug 16 06 01:08 pm Link

Model

Madalyn

Burlington, Vermont, US

Catriona wrote:
I  OP, yours are...well...trying to be diplomatic...can't... Okay, they're stupid. I said it. That little chibi-fairy thing on your arm? Any artist who wants to make you look serious is going to run into the wall with that thing. All of your tattoos look like they came out of vending machines. They're generic and poorly done.

Poorly Done?! Do you have ANY tattoos yourself ma'am? People whom dont have tattoos dont know decent tattoos when they are seen, as for my artist, she IS a true artist unlike some photographers that put "ART photography" on their portfolios so they get shots of naked chickies...But I'm Sorry if YOU dont like them, I have only met a FEW people that dont...the last photographer I worked with actually photographed my Tattoos on their own during the shoot. So in short, My tattoos are who I am, and I KNOW there are photographers out there who does NOT mind them...and Hopefully I will find them....

Aug 17 06 04:00 am Link

Model

Madalyn

Burlington, Vermont, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

Maybe you were rejected because of poor spelling. Everybody knows that skinny models spell better smile

See I apologized for the spelling in that post Love, I swear 4:30am does not do too well on a person!

Aug 17 06 04:02 am Link

Photographer

Sienna Hambleton

Toledo, Ohio, US

Shyly wrote:
As Mr. Wellborn has just so kindly illustrated, yes, your size will keep you from getting jobs.  That's just how it is.  You need to know that going in, expect to get rejected more often than you're accepted, and grow a tough hide if you want to be a fat art model.  I'm not saying this to be mean, I'm speaking from experience.  There aren't many of us, and most people don't know what to do with us or our bodies.

Knowing that, but knowing also that if you're really good people will start to change their minds about you, you need to create a portfolio that will inspire.  You will probably need to pay an artist or two to do that at the beginning.  For all that artists are supposed to be visionaries, when it comes to an unexpected body type they often need to see someone else doing beautiful things with you before they can imagine themselves doing beautiful things with you.  If I had a nickle for every time someone who rejected me when I started came back later and said, "Hey, now that I've seen what all these great artists are doing with you, I'd like to work with you" I'd be...a few cents richer.  wink

Presentation is very important.  More than once people have indicated an interest in working with me based upon my activity in the forums.  All of Model Mayhem is a networking tool, and sometimes someone will decide to work with you just because they like you.

Lastly, pound the pavement.  I cannot even begin to tell you how many emails I've sent out over the duration of my time modeling.  Everyone whose work interested me within a 150 mile radius heard from me.  Most never responded.  But if you send out hundreds of letters of interest, even if you only get a 1% response rate you've got a start.  Be prepared to work hard, because it absolutely ain't easy. 

Best of luck to you.  I hope you're able to find your niche.

Aug 17 06 04:20 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I think it has to do with each person's self preferences. Here is a classic example: I am not a guy who is into boobs but I'm sure boobs get many a job offer for the owner of said boobs. It wouldn't make a difference with me. Some people have disdain for tatoos and piercings - I find certain ones extremely hot.

I look for other qualities like exotic features, asian, elven, certain hair styles (I prefer long hair), certain areas with tattoos, an innocent look. You can say it's weight but I prefer finely sculpted facial features.

It's like looking for a girlfriend -we are not all attracted to the same look. I look for girls that I am attracted to in one way or another. Your hair threw me off right away and I couldn't get past that. That doesn't mean it's not perfectly fine hair -just not for me.

By the way if you look at my profile there are three pictures of a girl named Rayne. If she was less than 300 pounds I would be surprised. She had pretty eyes and a hair style that, although not as long as I prefer, wasn't bad. The "Vamped" picture came out great. I really wasn't happy with any of the bodyshots though. They just didn't convey what I wanted to convey. She was showing a lot of cleavage and I'm sure those pictures would have done it for many guys.

I as an artistic photographer don't want to shoot everyone. I just want to shoot what makes me happy. Taking pictures of girls that have the qualities I find beautiful makes me happy and inspired. I have a day job where I have to do things I don't want to do.

I did find it a little silly that you think artistic photographers have an obligation to shoot everyone. The people who have an obligation to shoot everyone work at Walmart or Sears and you have to hand them a check or credit card when they are finished with you.

Good luck but I think you need to find your niche as someone said above.

Aug 17 06 04:58 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Catriona wrote:
OP, yours are...well...trying to be diplomatic...can't... Okay, they're stupid. I said it. That little chibi-fairy thing on your arm? Any artist who wants to make you look serious is going to run into the wall with that thing. All of your tattoos look like they came out of vending machines. They're generic and poorly done.

Madalyn wrote:
Poorly Done?! Do you have ANY tattoos yourself ma'am? People whom dont have tattoos dont know decent tattoos when they are seen, as for my artist, she IS a true artist unlike some photographers that put "ART photography" on their portfolios so they get shots of naked chickies...But I'm Sorry if YOU dont like them, I have only met a FEW people that dont...the last photographer I worked with actually photographed my Tattoos on their own during the shoot. So in short, My tattoos are who I am, and I KNOW there are photographers out there who does NOT mind them...and Hopefully I will find them....

You repeat my point for me.  Your tattoos are another artist's work, and any photograph of you is, in large part, a copy of that original artist's work.  Few photographers want to do that.

And not all of us feel the same as you when it comes to tattoos in general and your tattoos in particular.  As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as a beautiful, original, well done, or worthwhile tattoo -- they just look like skin stains (self-inflicted mutilations) to me, and they are (in my opinion) a photographer repellant.  When someone tells me "My tattoos are who I am" -- then I wonder who you were before you had them applied.  If your self-image is tied up in your skin stains, then you are telling me that there is nothing deeper, and I'll assume that there's nothing there for me to work with.  You may think that you've only met a few people who don't like tattoos, but most who don't like them will not tell you (and at the same time, will not hire you as a model).

Look -- you asked why you don't get art photography assignments, and you assumed that it was your size that was causing you problems.  We are telling you that it may be other factors, one of which may be your tattoos (and in my case, it is your tattoos).  Sounds like hearing that is a hot button for you.  Sorry about that, but all we are saying is that you need to consider other factors when you contemplate your frustration getting the kind of assignments you desire.  If you don't want the answer, don't ask the question.

Aug 17 06 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Well I shoot those who I like.  Sorry but plus size models do not do a thing for me and I have no desire to shoot them.    Its my money and I spend it on that which pleases me.  bs

Aug 17 06 06:01 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Resident twig model/photographer chiming in with her skinny opinion.

Listen to the The Shyly,
You say in your own profile you are a budding photographer so you should think just a bit harder and answer your own question. I also do photography I have an art piece in my portfolio and I worked with a friend on this piece, I may do another and make a series if I do guess what I would not use you as my model I want the bodies to be similar and because of her balanced position I would not go any larger than a model with a B cup breast. If I did I could not get the condiments to stay on the nipples, the breast would not be in place, and that would chance the whole look of the piece. I also want a clean body no tattoos. I would also not pick someone who is as skinny as I either for this project because the stomach would be to concave and ribs would be more prominent than the food. I need a flat surface. If I were doing a project on shadows and tattoos or working with some plus sized models to add to my boudoir portfolio I might work with you. Or I might just work with The Shyly why? Because I know her and have met her and she has proven to be a great model and a great inspiration, the only thing you have proven is that you have issues with those who do not share your opinion of beauty in the human body.

Take your time and keep contacting photographers and read up on all casting calls their are photographers who need larger models, and there are many photographers who do projects based on “real” people not skinny model type people.

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060611/00/ … 2aa53d.jpg

Aug 17 06 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Art Schotz

Lima, Ohio, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

I don't reject anyone who wishes to work with me...Come to Pittsburgh and I'll prove it to you.

What he said... but I'm in Lima OH!

Aug 17 06 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Viper Studios

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

I'm a big guy, I wrestled in college, have always been "husky"....some people call it thick, some call it fat,,,,,whatever.

But I understand why girls would rather see some 20 year old kid with a set of six pack abs than me creeping up on 40 in a photo.

Life aint fair.

But while six pack boy was blessed with good genes, I got brains.....

LOL

Life aint fair.

Mark

Aug 17 06 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Tracy L Province

Omaha, Arkansas, US

I believe one photog pointed out working with facial expressions, hair etc...movement also helps.  I looked over your port, and honestly, it is better to have a few fantastic shots then alot of ho hum shots.  A couple of your shots are really fantastic, but then a couple of them look like the average person with a point and shoot took them.  Some of the angles are off.  Now, as far as tatoos are concerned, I love them and any chance I get to shoot someone with tatoos I take it.  But, that could also be my location, tattoos are in demand right now.  I think that you could really benefit from a hair stylist also, even for artistic shots...and there are some of your photos that seem like you are a little uncomfortable with your body. 

As many of the photogs said, I too am inspired by certain people, and if I don't feel inspired by seeing an image of you, or even in my case getting to talk to you, the real you...I probably won't use you.

Look for a photographer you mesh with, that will make all the difference in the world.

Aug 17 06 07:30 pm Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

Madalyn wrote:
Poorly Done?! Do you have ANY tattoos yourself ma'am? People whom dont have tattoos dont know decent tattoos when they are seen, as for my artist, she IS a true artist unlike some photographers that put "ART photography" on their portfolios so they get shots of naked chickies...

I don't have tattoos, because I would want to find something very artistic, personal, and beautiful to me before I would have it permanently stuck on my body. The argument that those with tattoos are more qualified to know good tattoos when they see them is like saying that only people who paint and have had their work displayed in galleries are in a position to criticise paintings in a gallery. i.e., ridiculous. Perhaps yours just don't photograph well, but from what I can see in your portfolio, they look like drawings a teenage girl would doodle on her Trapper Keeper when she's bored in her Social Studies class. Which is fine if that's what you like, but don't be shocked when people don't agree, and aren't interested in working with you as a result.

Aug 17 06 07:45 pm Link

Model

Madalyn

Burlington, Vermont, US

Catriona wrote:

I don't have tattoos, because I would want to find something very artistic, personal, and beautiful to me before I would have it permanently stuck on my body. The argument that those with tattoos are more qualified to know good tattoos when they see them is like saying that only people who paint and have had their work displayed in galleries are in a position to criticise paintings in a gallery. i.e., ridiculous. Perhaps yours just don't photograph well, but from what I can see in your portfolio, they look like drawings a teenage girl would doodle on her Trapper Keeper when she's bored in her Social Studies class. Which is fine if that's what you like, but don't be shocked when people don't agree, and aren't interested in working with you as a result.

Well like I told another Photographer, all my Pieces are works in progress...I am getting the Main image, while saving up for the other parts, bc lets face it...Tattoos are expensive...they will look A LOT different when they are completed. Now for cheesy tattoos, I know a girl (who is NOT a model) and she has video game characters(?) all over her body...now I think they are silly....but you might think they are the coolest thing since sliced bread...

Aug 18 06 01:52 pm Link