Forums > General Industry > photog no-show!

Model

Jessica - The Peach

Los Angeles, California, US

so today, for the second time, i had a photographer ditch me on the day of the shoot.  it happened about two weeks ago.  i am sick and tired of hearing photogs bitch about model no-shows. you all do the same damn thing, regardless of which side of the camera youre on. you dont call, you refuse to solidify preshoot meeting times, and i am getting really, really sick of it.

Aug 13 06 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Jessica - The Peach wrote:
so today, for the second time, i had a photographer ditch me on the day of the shoot.  it happened about two weeks ago.  i am sick and tired of hearing photogs bitch about model no-shows. you all do the same damn thing, regardless of which side of the camera youre on. you dont call, you refuse to solidify preshoot meeting times, and i am getting really, really sick of it.

Well, that's a first.

hmm

Guess there's something in the water out there...

Aug 13 06 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

nrvphotography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

There is no excuse for unprofessional, inconsiderate behaviour from a model or a photographer. Tell that to my "no response-no show" model today!

Sorry it happened to you as well. sad

Aug 13 06 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

Some Like It Shot Photography

Kent, Washington, US

Well, I had 2 hairstylist no response - no show & 1 model yesterday! The only one that I was thankful that didn't show up was the model becasue the MUA was late & we would have run out of time grrrrrr...I don't know that I will ever to a TFCD with people I don't know again.

Aug 13 06 11:14 pm Link

Model

Brent B

Lake Zurich, Illinois, US

I dont get it.  You think both people would have enough courtesy to contact each other if something is going to stop them from coming to the shoot.

Aug 13 06 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

The only time in my life I was a no-show as I leaving to pick up the model (we just got off the phone) and I collapsed. I'd been feeling not well and I just passed out. My assistant was able to call the model and let her know what was going.  I ended up in an ambulance and then the ER.  We are now arranging to reshoot in October.  I was suffering from a septic infection (blood posioning) and buring the candles at about three ends. Never had that happen; unless God strikes me down or something completely beyond my control, if I saw I'll be at a shoot, I'll be there.

I have had to turn-down some group shots before, but I always let them know in advance that I won't or can't be there. I didn't invest in this equipment to let models down - just not right at all.

I'm sorry you got stung. I hope this is the exception to your shooting career and not the rule.

One thing I have found really helps is communication, communication, and more communication.  Make sure everyone is on the same page and keep reinforcing that.

My best, Tim

Aug 13 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Photos By Deej

Tumwater, Washington, US

what's a preshoot meeting that wasn't solidified?  How could he no-show if he never pre-showed?

Aug 13 06 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Jessica,

I totally feel your pain. I've lost FIVE shoots in the past three weeks to BS last-minute excuses or no-shows.

One of the no-shows went from being happy about my past work and excited about the shoot, even talking about letting me do some upcoming maternity work, to not showing up and simultaneously blocking me from her IM and ignoring my very friendly follow-up email. There was NO communication from me to her between confirming the shoot and the shoot date, so I didn't have a chance to offend her, and her fiance is 100% in support, even has pulled strings to get me access to a difficult location. Have no idea why I suddenly got the silent treatement.

Then, today, I had a pre-shoot meeting with an excited young model and her mom. First, they no-showed after confirming yesterday. I called their house and the mom hung up on me once I said my name. I called back just in case of a bad phone connection and they did it again. Talk about infuriating. This was a charity meeting, really, based on her current webcam shots and her being under 18, but I like to at least meet local models in person (there aren't that many) to see if I can use them on some project.

But things are looking up again. By the end of the day, I found two replacement models for next weekend (nearly impossible on such short notice), booked a shoot and a pre-shoot meeting this week, and received "interested" emails from two other models. Don't let the assholes get you down.

Aug 14 06 12:51 am Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I think it IS in the water this month...I've had 2 photogs no show...and they both call back for yet ANOTHER time....it's aggravating.  These have "businesses" full time doing this too.  At this point, I'm not calling them back.  FLAKEY IS BAD.  Just because you have a tax ID and business doesn't necessarily make you professional, unfortunately.

It's part of this field....sigh...

Aug 14 06 01:01 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Not showing is by far the worst offense. Do what you say you will .
Dont ever allow them the chance to work with you again. No excuse no exceptions.
They are not pro's regardless of what the sign out front says.

Aug 14 06 07:23 am Link