Forums > General Industry > Comp. card help

Model

Opal

Bend, Oregon, US

I signed with an agent here in portland, OR about 5 months ago.  I have yet to get a call for any auditions, go-sees, or anything.  So, I called my agent and asked how many comp cards he had left last month and said (off the top of his head) half of what I gave him.  Which to me means he didn't look and didn't know and didn't care too much.  I really want to get paid for my work.  I have a few senerios going through my head after speaking with my agent. 1. He told me the truth, he sends my cards out fairly regularly but I don't have the right look for whom ever.
2. He lied and i have most of my cards left.
3. The images I have on my comp card aren't good enough and don't show case me and my real attributes as a model.

I'm opting for 1 and 3....

I think they go hand in hand.

What types of images do you guys think work well for comp. cards. Images that will get me work?

Aug 13 06 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

I can only speak for my area.  Anyone who is 5'5" is going to get commercial work mostly and most of your images are far too "artsy."  You need a clean headshot, a business look, a "mom" or husband/wife shot, and something that shows you are healthy and fit.  Four not-so-exciting looks but that is the majority of modeling in this country.  Take a peak at my site, it has a few commecial comp cards on it.  Your agency may not be a conventional agency or Oregon may be more progressive, I don't know.  But on the East coast if you look like a business woman or a Mom you can get a lot of work!
Amy

Aug 13 06 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Opal wrote:
My look is very different than the cookie cutter Hollywood crap!

Opal wrote:
What types of images do you guys think work well for comp. cards. Images that will get me work?

Short answer:  cookie cutter Hollywood crap.

Longer answer:  see the post above.

Aug 13 06 08:05 pm Link

Model

Opal

Bend, Oregon, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Short answer:  cookie cutter Hollywood crap.

Longer answer:  see the post above.

Well, as you see I am not in Hollywood and I don't look like anyone modeling in Hollywood, do I?  And I couldn't get any work in Hollywood as an actress.   But I can still get work and get paid for it.  So Your answer didn't answer mine.

So, you are saying that the reason I havn't gotten work is because I'm not cookie cutter?  Thats pretty narrow minded don't you think?

Aug 13 06 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Opal wrote:
So, you are saying that the reason I havn't gotten work is because I'm not cookie cutter?  Thats pretty narrow minded don't you think?

Nope, the reason was the longer answer....

But, what shots are on your compcard? If you picked them, then maybe they're not the type that you need.
Is anyone else in your agency going on go sees? Is there even any work in Portland at all?

Aug 13 06 09:02 pm Link

Model

Opal

Bend, Oregon, US

Iris Swope wrote:

Nope, the reason was the longer answer....

But, what shots are on your compcard? If you picked them, then maybe they're not the type that you need.
Is anyone else in your agency going on go sees? Is there even any work in Portland at all?

Wow, I've gotten some interesting feedback.  I didn't actually pick the images on my comp. card.  I think they were the complete wrong ones.  Would you pick a timid pose for the front of your comp. card? NO.  But apparently my agent would.  So, now, I have to do the work all over again and not pay his photographers to do a crappy job.  And yes, there is a lot of work in portland.

Aug 13 06 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Which shots are they...do you have them posted here?

Aug 13 06 09:31 pm Link

Model

Opal

Bend, Oregon, US

No, they aren't posted here.  two from the same outfits are: white tank w/ pony tail and the blue asian shirt.

Aug 13 06 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Opal wrote:
No, they aren't posted here.  two from the same outfits are: white tank w/ pony tail and the blue asian shirt.

The tank top shot is good..the asian shirt, I'm not sure about...

Aug 13 06 09:38 pm Link

Model

Opal

Bend, Oregon, US

I totally hated the blue shirt shots... they didn't show ME.  I do like the white tank shot and the one i used looks really awesome.

Aug 13 06 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Opal wrote:

You don't seem to have understood the message, or what agency modeling is about.

Agency clients (assuming a real, mainstream agency) in places like Portland aren't interested in "distinctive" models.  Commercial clients want generic models to play roles in their ads.  To the degree that your pictures represent you as "different", you will not fit the specs in casting breakdowns.

You can call that "narrow minded" if you like, but it is the truth.

Aug 13 06 10:23 pm Link

Model

OC Girl

Costa Mesa, California, US

Opal wrote:
So, now, I have to do the work all over again and not pay his photographers to do a crappy job.

What agency are you with?

What do you mean one of HIS photographers?  Was it a photographer from a recommended list, or did you pay for photos from a photographer that your agent said you had to?  If it's the latter, then the reason that you're not going on go-sees is that your agent already made a fair chunk of change off you.

Aug 13 06 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

I have to agree with TX. The zeds around here are all pretty "generic" for lack of a better word. It's VERY RARE to see anything "artsy," as it usually doesn't show the model as well. Elaborate funky makeup doesn't tell the advertiser what the model will look like advertising his fitness equipment, and avant garde fashion won't help them picture you in their car dealership ads. The agencies all ask specifically for "clean looks" that show the model's face and figure clearly, and they don't want anything else. If you're going for fashion modeling, that's one thing, but that's not the commercial print world (which stays MUCH busier than the very limited mostly unpaid editorial fashion there is around here).

Aug 13 06 10:56 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I see by your images on this site that you have maybe two that you could use?  The only one that really stands out is the black and white with the guy.  If it were a tear it would be better.  However the two of you seem equal in the shot.  Since it is for you, you should be the one our eye goes to first. The rest of the shots do nothing for you if you are looking to book lifestyle.  I'm not the end all be all for lifestyle, but look on my site.  I am known for lifestyle hair and makeup.  If you want to be taken more serious as a lifstyle model, lose the artsy shots for now on your card.  Once your established, then add one.  But if you want to work and make some money, sorry but yes, we need to imagine you as doctor, laywer, chef, business woman, Mom.  Good luck.  R-

Aug 13 06 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Opal wrote:
Well, as you see I am not in Hollywood and I don't look like anyone modeling in Hollywood, do I?  And I couldn't get any work in Hollywood as an actress.   But I can still get work and get paid for it.  So Your answer didn't answer mine.

Doesn't matter what YOU think or what TX thinks... or what I think... what matters is what the clients think... and clients are inherently, died-in-the-wool, exclusively, un-alterably, cookie cutter minded... depending on the kind of cookies they happen to like... be that mainstream fashion or commercial cookies or alt cookies or glamour cookies.

The shots you described, and seem to hate, on your comp card tend to show that your agency knows this too, as well as knowing their clients' requirements.

One last comment on comp cards... you need to get that "nope" out of your lip for comp card shots. Why do I refer to it as a "nope"? Because, most clients in small commercial markets will take one look and say "NOPE!" You note that: "Caption: I adore this picture. It shows who I really am!"  Here's a clue... clients really don't give a s*it who or what you are in your own life - they only care about what you are worth to THEM and how that portrays THEIR product or service.

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/050622/01/42b905d795ae9.jpg

Studio36

Aug 14 06 03:57 am Link

Model

Ivy Jo

Amarillo, Texas, US

Ok here's my opinion:

the yellow background; the bikini; the business-casual in front of what looks like a bronze circle; and the tight headshot that shows your bangs and hair framing your face.  And take your pick between the tanktop or the blue asian shirt, neither is overwhelmingly great, but acceptable to fill space.

Head shot on the front. The bikini upper left, the yellow background upper right, the tank top lower left, the business casual lower right.

Kill your avatar and say your 5'6".

Aug 14 06 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

I would take a look in some magazines and see which ads feature someone who even closely looks like you or your style. That will give you the answer you need to hear but no one is saying. Then go about the job of createing some new work that is appealing to the majority of the ad world. Its not what you want its what they want that gets you paid.

Aug 14 06 09:01 am Link

Model

Opal

Bend, Oregon, US

You guys are right about what types of shots I need.  I think its funny everyone is analyzing my pics that are on here.  I didn't use one of them in my comp card, I know enough not to put a pic w/ my lip ring on it.  I highly dought that i would get any work besides TFP on here unless its fetish work.  But I am going to do a test.  I'm going to do some 'cookie cutter' shots and put them up in the next 8 weeks, i.e. business, professional, mom-dad, and a better fitness shot along with a headshot.  We will see if bangs are totally undesirable. 

Yes, I also know that it is all what the client wants and I know they have no imagination, and artsy doesn't sell.  But you would think that those photographers I worked with taking those pics would have done a little more.

Aug 16 06 10:34 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Opal wrote:
I highly dought that i would get any work besides TFP on here unless its fetish work.  But I am going to do a test.  I'm going to do some 'cookie cutter' shots and put them up in the next 8 weeks, i.e. business, professional, mom-dad, and a better fitness shot along with a headshot.  We will see if bangs are totally undesirable.
Yes, I also know that it is all what the client wants and I know they have no imagination, and artsy doesn't sell.  But you would think that those photographers I worked with taking those pics would have done a little more.

LOL! Well  now you got it. Take a look at my port...everything's commercial, girl next door and "cookie cutter" as you call it but it works. Thats what a commercial agency like the kind I am aiming for will wanna see and so will the clients that they will probably send me too.

My advice is to find photogs who shoot in that style cause if they don't then they won't be able to achieve the look you are wanting. Lots of photogs wanna do the high fashon/overy done-up stuff which is great for that particular model or photog but then I come along anand I'm like "ugh..I'd just like a simple girl walking in the park kinda look" its not as fun to them anymore. lol. Occasionly I've switched it up just to see what I can come up with but for now I just stick with what I know will work for me. Often times models portfolios are going every which way and you don't know what market there aiming for.

Aug 16 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

Opal wrote:
You guys are right about what types of shots I need.  I think its funny everyone is analyzing my pics that are on here.  I didn't use one of them in my comp card, I know enough not to put a pic w/ my lip ring on it.  I highly dought that i would get any work besides TFP on here

I think it would be wise to show the pics that are on your comp card. The correct spelling is "doubt".

https://www.tonyculture.com/storage/Portal/coke.jpg

Aug 16 06 11:25 pm Link

Model

Opal

Bend, Oregon, US

studio36uk wrote:

Doesn't matter what YOU think or what TX thinks... or what I think... what matters is what the clients think... and clients are inherently, died-in-the-wool, exclusively, un-alterably, cookie cutter minded... depending on the kind of cookies they happen to like... be that mainstream fashion or commercial cookies or alt cookies or glamour cookies.

The shots you described, and seem to hate, on your comp card tend to show that your agency knows this too, as well as knowing their clients' requirements.

One last comment on comp cards... you need to get that "nope" out of your lip for comp card shots. Why do I refer to it as a "nope"? Because, most clients in small commercial markets will take one look and say "NOPE!" You note that: "Caption: I adore this picture. It shows who I really am!"  Here's a clue... clients really don't give a s*it who or what you are in your own life - they only care about what you are worth to THEM and how that portrays THEIR product or service.

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/050622/01/42b905d795ae9.jpg

Studio36

Good thing this site isn't here for me to get paid work.  I would never use this shot for a comp card.  I don't think I'm that clueless.

Aug 26 06 03:31 pm Link

Model

Opal

Bend, Oregon, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
I would take a look in some magazines and see which ads feature someone who even closely looks like you or your style. That will give you the answer you need to hear but no one is saying. Then go about the job of createing some new work that is appealing to the majority of the ad world. Its not what you want its what they want that gets you paid.

That is exactly what I'm doing now.  Good ideas, thoughts and truths

Aug 26 06 03:33 pm Link

Model

Crystalle L

Orlando, Florida, US

Opal wrote:
Good thing this site isn't here for me to get paid work.  I would never use this shot for a comp card.  I don't think I'm that clueless.

Then why have it in your port here if you don't think it would help you? Why not post the images used on your comp on here? You don't need to fill your port...a few good shots are better than a whole lot of crappy ones. If you do'nt like some of the pics you have posted (cause you keep saying you used better ones on your comp card) then take them down.

I like your wedding pic by the way..I would say thats a keeper.

Aug 26 06 04:26 pm Link