Forums > General Industry > Women, makeup and air travel in modern times

Photographer

Impossible Dream

Chignik, Alaska, US

By now you all have heard that air carriers are banning any kind of liquid from luggage destined to board an aircraft.  That means that even makeup -- mascara, liquid foundation, hair gel, toothpaste; you name it--it's now forbidden to fly the once friendly skies.

Looking at the big picture, and if this situation lasts for a notable duration, models will arrive makeup-less to their points of destination. 

Does she immediately head off to the mall on a makeup and personal care item shopping spree only to throw it all away upon return flight to her point of origin?  What a waste that would be. 

Will photographers have to develop their own full-array makeup kits?  This would be maddening as there are too many choices and just as many personal preferences to differing brands.  It would cost a small fortune to be ready for anything.

Conversely, MUA's would become busier, but how much busy is too busy?

It's bad enough that fuel prices have spiked a rise in transportations costs (I can't justify a trip to see my mother on the ground or in the air -- either way the fees are insane).  Add to that the utility of "restocking" one's makeup tool kit for every location, and you might as well shut down the industry now.

It's a paradox and one I'd like to see some thoughtful banter about.

CHET D.
San Antonio, TX

Aug 13 06 10:20 am Link

Makeup Artist

Susan Verdugo

Los Angeles, California, US

my entry (made at the same time you asked )

Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > what comes after the information era???

Aug 13 06 10:28 am Link

Makeup Artist

Susan Verdugo

Los Angeles, California, US

that's...

[see] my entry

Aug 13 06 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I do have an extensive makeup kit.  But that misses the point.

The new rules apply to carryon, not to checked baggage.

Aug 13 06 11:03 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

You are gonna need one of these parked at every airport...

https://www.studio36.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/emer_mu_sta.jpg

Studio36

Aug 13 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

J & X Photography

Arlington, Virginia, US

Kamaaina Kane wrote:
By now you all have heard that air carriers are banning any kind of liquid from luggage destined to board an aircraft.  That means that even makeup -- mascara, liquid foundation, hair gel, toothpaste; you name it--it's now forbidden to fly the once friendly skies.

Looking at the big picture, and if this situation lasts for a notable duration, models will arrive makeup-less to their points of destination. 

Does she immediately head off to the mall on a makeup and personal care item shopping spree only to throw it all away upon return flight to her point of origin?  What a waste that would be. 

Will photographers have to develop their own full-array makeup kits?  This would be maddening as there are too many choices and just as many personal preferences to differing brands.  It would cost a small fortune to be ready for anything.

Conversely, MUA's would become busier, but how much busy is too busy?

It's bad enough that fuel prices have spiked a rise in transportations costs (I can't justify a trip to see my mother on the ground or in the air -- either way the fees are insane).  Add to that the utility of "restocking" one's makeup tool kit for every location, and you might as well shut down the industry now.

It's a paradox and one I'd like to see some thoughtful banter about.

CHET D.
San Antonio, TX

What is a safe temperature for make-up?  Could you check it in?

Aug 13 06 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's all a PLOT by Procter & Gamble!
Buy P&G stock now!

Aug 13 06 01:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

JezzaHell

Kingwood, Texas, US

I think its crap that makeup can't be brought on an airplane. Flippin terrorists need to find something better to do than mess up everything. It's so annoying. I know that the Greyhound has also gotten strict about things as well. You can no longer carry on anything with out it all being dumped out and sorted through by an officer. Honestly what has America come to?

Aug 13 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

JezzaHell wrote:
Honestly what has America come to?

A virtual police state... and the American people are allowing it to happen.

Next time you see a fence... any fence... think about whether it is meant to keep you OUT... or IN.

Studio36

Aug 13 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Impossible Dream

Chignik, Alaska, US

I've heard varying stories.  Yes, some believe it's for just carry-on bags, but in other reported instances, TSA is removing items from checked baggage too.  Depends on the interpretation at respective airports and what they're willing to do.  If there is any clear guidance out there, let's find it so our facts are straight.  Nonetheless, this just makes travel harder, period.

C

Aug 13 06 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

SimonL

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

all the restrictions apply to CARRY ON / HAND BAGGAGE..

Any of these items can be placed in your hold baggage as normal.

Aug 13 06 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

Define normal.

Aug 13 06 04:52 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

yay! make up station!
love that idea.

i will be sorry that have to spend the day, car rental return, check in and meal time as well as entire flight time to London soon, with no make up ... as there is nothing to take it OFF with during the 12/15/16 hour ordeal...
what if i want to make a impression on somone!

i also have a lot of electronic medical equipment for my new disgiostic business  and 2 lap tops that i am concerned about insurance/wellbeing in a hold!
does anyone know what they are doing with lap tops?

Prob i will be forced to fed ex to somone or another in UK -  with masses of extra costs in insurance. But the make up hurts too.....

Aug 13 06 05:38 pm Link