Forums > General Industry > what's a model release form?

Model

ORachelO

Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada

Hello!
Okay so I might get people thinking this is a silly question, but what is a model release form? In other words what exactly does it entail? Does it mean I can not use the pics for my own profile/websites? or is it more of a must give credit thing or what? just curious, also is a 'model release form' the same as a 'stock model release form'? or what's the difference?
thanx!

Aug 11 06 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

A model release is a form you may be asked to sign which gives the photographer permission to use and publish photographs of you.  It may be a full release, which means that the photographer gets to use the photos any way he wants or it may be a limited release where you specify exactly how the photos may be used.  It is important when doing a shoot to ask the photographer in advance if you will be asked to sign a release and read the terms first.

If you are doing a TFP or are being given copies of photos from a shoot, you should ask the photographer to give you a license (also called a usage agreement) where he gives you permisison to use the photos that are provided to you.   Once again, it can be an unrestricted license or a restricted license.  You need to negotiate that with the photographer in advance.

One last thing, when the photographer takes your picture, he owns the copyright, not you (unless, since you are in Canada, you hire him to shoot you, in which case you will own the copyright).  You definitely need his permission to copy the photos or put them up on sites like MM, unless, like I said, you paid him to shoot you.  By the same token, for many purposes, he must have your permission to use the photos as well (however, there are some things he can use the photos for without your consent).

There are many threads here on copyrights.  If you have specific legal questions, it is always good to ask an attorney, rather than a photographer.

Aug 11 06 04:52 pm Link

Model

ORachelO

Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada

thanks for the reply,

Aug 11 06 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Bay Photo

Marseille, Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur, France

always consult an attorney for legal questions.

a release usually assignes the rights of USE of the images to a party.  it can be worded many differnt ways and give may different USES or NOT to use.

get a basic photo iz book and you can find more info or join asmp.org or APA and you can get them from them to use

Aug 11 06 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Seattle Photo wrote:
always consult an attorney for legal questions.

Hmmm, I thought I said that smile

Aug 11 06 05:03 pm Link