Forums > General Industry > Will i need a permit to shoot i nyc?

Photographer

geronimo

Växjö, Kronoberg, Sweden

Hi!

I'm going to nyc next month and will do some shooting around the city. Will i need some sort of permit for this and how do i get it? Is it hard to get not being a us citizen?

Thanks

//Daniel.J

Aug 11 06 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Only if you shoot on the streets of NY with a TRIPOD. The key is the Tripod.

This only pertains to Public Property.

If you are on Private Property then you will need a permit from the landlord. That includes any major building in the City such as 30 Rockafeller Plaza for example.

You can get a permit easily from the city of NY website. Fill it out and fax it in. You will get a fax permit back within 24 hours.

M

Aug 11 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

geronimo

Växjö, Kronoberg, Sweden

Ok Thank you.

Also this is with a flash on a tripod? smile

//D.J

Aug 11 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
Only if you shoot on the streets of NY with a TRIPOD. The key is the Tripod.

Actually, it pertains to anything COMMERCIAL.  It's just that tripods make commercial shoots more obvious.  (And depending on where you're shooting, it may be illegal to use a tripod, light stand, etc. regardless of permits.)

Check with the mayor's office.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/permi … aphy.shtml

Aug 11 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

geronimo

Växjö, Kronoberg, Sweden

Shit guys are you kidding me. Permit for shooting smile never have to have that here in sweden smile Well i'll try get one.

What if i don't get one and starts to take pictures in a street corner with one model and a flash on a stand with an umbrella?

//D.J

Aug 11 06 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

geronimo

Växjö, Kronoberg, Sweden

Is it possible to get one if i'm not from the us?

It says i should state when and were to shoot. But i have no idea yet because I haven't decided on what and were yo shoot yet.

//D.J

Aug 11 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

They don't care that you aren't from the US, but you need to have local contact (phone, fax) information for them to contact you.

The permit will be issued for a specific location and time.  The location can be fairly large (several blocks), and the time several hours.  But if you can't nail down where and when you are going, you can't get a permit.

Aug 11 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

TXPhotog wrote:
They don't care that you aren't from the US, but you need to have local contact (phone, fax) information for them to contact you.

The permit will be issued for a specific location and time.  The location can be fairly large (several blocks), and the time several hours.  But if you can't nail down where and when you are going, you can't get a permit.

Dude,  where you been?
I was just like thinking about the truth you deliver.

Aug 11 06 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Yo, Jack.  I've been travelling last week, and have houseguests this week, so don't have a lot of time to be on the forums.  Just thought I'd catch up. smile

Aug 11 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Yo, Jack.  I've been travelling last week, and have houseguests this week, so don't have a lot of time to be on the forums.  Just thought I'd catch up. smile

Good to see ya.  Yeah,  some of these people need real jobs to understand the truth or at least understand when to sit when told to.

What was this thread about?

Oh, yeah permits.
yes, and no.
If you have a big crew with clients then Yes.
If not then maybe not cause you can always move to another location.
If you have the time then do it.

But one of the greatest quotes was from my father in jail.

No wait it was from the first female Admiral of the US NAVY.

Just do it and act stupid later.
I am sure many of you will have no trouble with the second part of the equation.
Wait,  She meant act stupid not......

Aug 11 06 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

geronimo

Växjö, Kronoberg, Sweden

Ill just act stupid.

Police officer : May i se your permit sir?

Me: Permit what are u talking abut me no english me just take pictures me from sweden

haha

thanks guys

Aug 12 06 03:55 am Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

(chili is pushing a cart calling out "get your tutsi fruitsi ice cream here")

you need a permit, these days in NYC, commercial or not, tripod or not, especially at places where people shoot a lot on the street

the police can do anything, take your camera, expose your film, arrest you, tow your vehicle, you can always file a lawsuit against the city later, the city of NY pays out something like $10 million dollars a year in out of court settlements for stupid things the NYPD does

you need a different permit for shooting at the beach, and you need the permission of the specific beach's parks dept mgr.

you need a different permit for shooting at the parks

sub note, you have to distinguish between a city park, a state park, and a national park that falls under the BLM (burea of land management)

there are fees for shooting at state and federal parks, city parks are free

Aug 12 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

geronimo

Växjö, Kronoberg, Sweden

Chili wrote:

you need a permit, these days in NYC, commercial or not, tripod or not, especially at places where people shoot a lot on the street

the police can do anything, take your camera, expose your film, arrest you, tow your vehicle, you can always file a lawsuit against the city later, the city of NY pays out something like $10 million dollars a year in out of court settlements for stupid things the NYPD does

you need a different permit for shooting at the beach, and you need the permission of the specific beach's parks dept mgr.

sub note, you have to distinguish between a city park, a state park, and a national park that falls under the BLM (burea of land management)

Where do i find out what parks that are city parks?

Aug 13 06 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Chili wrote:

The stupidity of the NYPD can be staggering. The criminals of the city are forever grateful that a photographer taking photos is considered more of a menace than murderers, erratic drivers, muggers, rapists, you name it ;-) It's the same here in LA except all the cops here have hair dressers and make-up artists.

Aug 13 06 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

While I don't dispute anything said here, I was just in NYC, did not get a permit, and shot EVERYTHING.  Grand Central Station, brooklyn bridge, street shoots, everything.  At first, I was concerned that the police would stop me (especially at transportation assets) but, as soon as I looked around, I realized that there were literally DOZENS of folks snapping away with their digicams.  Heck, half of the people in the place where shooting an image.  Go to Grand Central station and you will see what I mean..... 

Honestly, I was very concerned about it.... I did not want to have a confrontatation and did not want to run a foul of any restrictions.  But, it seems that that only folks that are concerned about this are the pro photographers.... tourists could care less ---> they just shoot away.

Enjoy and make sure that you stop by B&H..... amazing place especially with the crowds on Sundays.

Aug 13 06 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

JS2D Design

Duluth, Georgia, US

Also keep in mind that a majority of major buildings in NYC are either owned by the city or privately owned and are trade-marked - best bet go down to city hall and find out what you can and can't do here depending on what your shooting and what it's for

Aug 13 06 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

geronimo

Växjö, Kronoberg, Sweden

MurphyMurphy Studios wrote:
While I don't dispute anything said here, I was just in NYC, did not get a permit, and shot EVERYTHING.  Grand Central Station, brooklyn bridge, street shoots, everything.  At first, I was concerned that the police would stop me (especially at transportation assets) but, as soon as I looked around, I realized that there were literally DOZENS of folks snapping away with their digicams.  Heck, half of the people in the place where shooting an image.  Go to Grand Central station and you will see what I mean..... 

Honestly, I was very concerned about it.... I did not want to have a confrontatation and did not want to run a foul of any restrictions.  But, it seems that that only folks that are concerned about this are the pro photographers.... tourists could care less ---> they just shoot away.

Enjoy and make sure that you stop by B&H..... amazing place especially with the crowds on Sundays.

Hi!

Did you shoot any model pictures? or just tourist photos?

Been to bh before know how it is smile

Aug 13 06 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

geronimo wrote:

Hi!

Nope, no model shooting.

Aug 14 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

MurphyMurphy Studios wrote:

geronimo wrote:

Hi!

Nope, no model shooting.

ah yeah

throw a few hot models in bikinis, dreeses, or lingerie in front of GCS and you'll see how fast a SWAT team will swoop down on you LOL

i generally like to get a movie permit (when i can $$$), (not a still permit) and have the police show up (for free) to coordinate traffic and pedestrian control

we did a shoot in front of the nightclub QUO, in the street with hot cars, we stopped traffic, had the police on horses there, it was fun

had a guy from the wu tang clan stopped to ask what was going on, (ok, he was a black guy in hummer, he said he was in the wu tang, i would know a wu tang clan, from the ku klux clan) anyway i passed out business cards

Aug 14 06 09:28 pm Link