Forums > General Industry > How can I express My ideas I have for photoshoots

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

I am an aspiring model.  And I am thinking of new Ideas all the time great ones.  How do I express them to a photographer.  Should I draw them out and Keep the for the future.  The only thing is I can't draw I have so many Ideas but don't know how to keep track of all of them or show or express to the photograohers.  Tell me what you think or How i should go about this thanks.

Aug 11 06 04:38 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

I can't draw either, I feel your pain.  I've been known to ask artistically inclined friends to sketch my ideas out for me.  Otherwise I just keep notes.

Aug 11 06 04:40 pm Link

Artist/Painter

any artist

Chicago, Illinois, US

Just focus on the gesture and feeling that the image inspires within you. Don't be afraid to write down things that inspired the drawing, like thoughts, poetry, news, feelings, whatever. I keep a sketchbook of ideas that could be used for any, and sometiems specific, model/s. Just get a plain paper sketchbook and go at it. If your still worried - take a drawing class locally, or barter with an artist to model for them.. in exchange for drawing lessons for you.

Aug 11 06 04:48 pm Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

Shyly wrote:
I can't draw either, I feel your pain.  I've been known to ask artistically inclined friends to sketch my ideas out for me.  Otherwise I just keep notes.

Yeah I could keep notes but I have alot of details and props and how I want to set it up.  Is there a computer program I could buy to help me! Oh and Thanks smile

Aug 11 06 04:49 pm Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

noisivelvet wrote:
Just focus on the gesture and feeling that the image inspires within you. Don't be afraid to write down things that inspired the drawing, like thoughts, poetry, news, feelings, whatever. I keep a sketchbook of ideas that could be used for any, and sometiems specific, model/s. Just get a plain paper sketchbook and go at it. If your still worried - take a drawing class locally, or barter with an artist to model for them.. in exchange for drawing lessons for you.

Thats a good Idea thanks

Aug 11 06 04:50 pm Link

Model

Vale Anoai

Minneola, Florida, US

noisivelvet wrote:

I do the same thing, I ALWAYS keep a mini-notebook in my purse just in case I get a really good idea (photoshoot ideas, story ideas, poem ideas.. every little cool idea goes in that thing!)

It's a good idea to have one of those, just in case you get a great little fleeting idea, and it flies out of your head before you get home.

Aug 11 06 04:52 pm Link

Model

ORachelO

Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada

Also, ripping out an ad or a picture from a magazine can be helpful, not that you would wanna copy the exact idea, but say you are looking for a specific lighting type thing or a certain feel or mood, and like they say a picture is worth a thousand words,

Aug 11 06 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Gerry Hanan

Round Rock, Texas, US

I didn't read each and every response but I keep a stack of magazine tears all sorted into different categories - high fashion, casual, gypsey, faces / makeup, product advertising (watches, bags and sunglasses)

I always meet the model before the shoot so I can get the ideas out of my head and into theirs.

On top of that I am always open to ideas from the model so they feel like they are acomplishing some of their goals from the shoot.

If you get to meet with the photog and they are open to it then that is a good place to get the ideas out there - esp with magazine pages etc + establish boundries etc.

I guess since I am not a model I am coming at this from a different angle smile All the best as you pursue your dreams.

Gerry H

Aug 11 06 05:13 pm Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

RSAS wrote:
Also, ripping out an ad or a picture from a magazine can be helpful, not that you would wanna copy the exact idea, but say you are looking for a specific lighting type thing or a certain feel or mood, and like they say a picture is worth a thousand words,

Thanks smile

Aug 11 06 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Maximum Impact

Worcester, Massachusetts, US

Pearls wrote:
I am an aspiring model.  And I am thinking of new Ideas all the time great ones.  How do I express them to a photographer.  Should I draw them out and Keep the for the future.  The only thing is I can't draw I have so many Ideas but don't know how to keep track of all of them or show or express to the photograohers.  Tell me what you think or How i should go about this thanks.

Try to think of the general theme. Then describe the subject matter which will help to develop the theme. Ad the feeling you are after then finally, describe the light you imaging. Is the light the type you find on a cloudy day. Or a bright and sunny day? Do you see shadows etc etc. Photographers can then relate to your concepts. :-)

Aug 11 06 05:29 pm Link

Model

Carmilla

Highland, California, US

I just type all of the ideas I have onto a Microsoft Word document with short descriptions of the mental image in my head. Most photographers say that it helps. *shrug*

Aug 11 06 05:34 pm Link

Model

BronxBeauty8

In my yahoo acct I have a notebook that I can easily access and save. It works wonders for me since I'm always logging in new things I have to remember since my brain stalls everyonce in a while wink

Aug 11 06 05:39 pm Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

Carmilla wrote:
I just type all of the ideas I have onto a Microsoft Word document with short descriptions of the mental image in my head. Most photographers say that it helps. *shrug*

Do you write down everything from hair to makeup to props. And poses? or just the feel and mood you want

Aug 11 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

hotpix

Chicago, Illinois, US

Try acquiring all the props and wardrobe you have in mind...approach a photographer to see if he/she has any available studio time....or just time (if it requiress a location)...and help the photographer set up the shot as you envision it....of course...unless it is a really wonderful idea you would have to pay the photographer for their time to get you your shots...but if you come prepared the photographer might see your creativity and want to work with you on it...

Aug 11 06 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Pearls wrote:

write them down, because in the excitement on set , you will forget them.
I forget all mine on a nude shoot !

Aug 11 06 05:48 pm Link

Model

Carmilla

Highland, California, US

Pearls wrote:

Do you write down everything from hair to makeup to props. And poses? or just the feel and mood you want

Basically, just the feel and the mood that I want. If they're the one paying the make-up artist, I just let them do what they want. Their vision, not mine. If I'm paying, then I'll provide them with any ideas that I have. Sometimes, I'll add in what I think might look good outfit-wise or a pose that I might have in mind, but that's about it. Mostly, I'm just describing scenery and whether any other models will be needed.

Aug 11 06 05:53 pm Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

Carmilla wrote:

Basically, just the feel and the mood that I want. If they're the one paying the make-up artist, I just let them do what they want. Their vision, not mine. If I'm paying, then I'll provide them with any ideas that I have. Sometimes, I'll add in what I think might look good outfit-wise or a pose that I might have in mind, but that's about it. Mostly, I'm just describing scenery and whether any other models will be needed.

Thanks

Aug 11 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Ye Olde Photographer

San Juan, San Juan-Laventville, Trinidad and Tobago

Pearls wrote:

A figure drawing class might help you put down you ideas on paper and will also help you with your posing.

Aug 11 06 07:46 pm Link

Model

litlaur

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Writing works best for me. I write down anything and everything, even if it's just one word. I also print out or tear out of magazines pictures that inspire me. I either leave them as is or cut out pieces and do a scrapbook page or collage. Not necessarily made to look like the picture, more of a visual concept mapping.

I might try to draw, but most of those pages end up getting thrown away because I just don't like my own drawing skills :p But I'll still do it sometimes because it doesn't hurt to practice.

Aug 11 06 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Artist Patrick Forys

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I feel everybodies pain in this forum (LOL!). I run in to the same issue as a photographer, except in an opposite way. Hear me out. Prior to shoots,when I ask my models for ideas of how they would like to be portrayed or photographed, asking for themes, ect... I have not had a single one yet give me any feedback. Never hold back on your ideas, this is a creative combine, the artist and the subject,the pictures are as much an expression of you as they are of the photographer.Imagine how great it would be if people weren't so instinctively inhibited (human nature being what it is). Just my 2 cents worth.

Aug 11 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

00Philip00

Vass, North Carolina, US

Yea, models with ideas are a huge plus for me as a photographer - after we get the standard "seen that a thousand times image(s)", I ask the model to just do her "thang" and I just shoot away.

Aug 12 06 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

merissa pratt

Denver, Colorado, US

Even if you just draw stick figures, you can still get a sense of the pose, then just scribble out the props and write a short description of them around the sides of the drawing.  This is what I do, it helps me because I am more of a visual person.  I have taken a drawing class but even with the class, you just have to keep doing it, to get better.  I say scribble it out, because your drawings will get better and better and photographers are more visual thinkers.

Aug 12 06 02:43 pm Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

merissa pratt wrote:
Even if you just draw stick figures, you can still get a sense of the pose, then just scribble out the props and write a short description of them around the sides of the drawing.  This is what I do, it helps me because I am more of a visual person.  I have taken a drawing class but even with the class, you just have to keep doing it, to get better.  I say scribble it out, because your drawings will get better and better and photographers are more visual thinkers.

Thanks to everyone smile

Aug 13 06 12:14 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

written concept notes, in which details -- as extensive as possible -- serve as jumping off points for art direction work extremely well. visuals are so specific, I find non-visual methods less limiting and ultimately able to benefit from the expertise of the team. remember, screen plays are written.

Aug 13 06 12:19 am Link

Model

Danica Lee

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I write down everything that gives me an idea and try to think of something to use as an example of what I am aiming for. Check out my profile on here and you'll get an idea of what I mean. Sometimes I offer a movie or a book, a song or a person that will help whoever I am working with 'connect' with me on the idea.

I also have a whole bunch of pictures I've torn out of magazines, art books etc and have stuck in a scrapbook that I also show to people I am going to be working with to act as a visual aid when I just can't get things across clearly through words.

The important thing is to make the idea yours. Even if you are being inspired by something (particularly something you have seen in a magazine) it's always more satisfying to take it some place else and make it unique than just copying other people's ideas.

Aug 13 06 06:04 am Link

Photographer

MoJo40

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Pearls wrote:

Try using a program that allows your to cut and paste pictures into diffrent layers to compile  your image.  These programs would include Photoshop, Photo Elements or Paint Shop Pro.  All of which have a free 30 day trial.  Those are the high end products, but you may also want to visit some shareware sites for free programs.

Hope this helps...

Aug 13 06 06:17 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

Just do your best.  Even if you have to draw matchstick men (or women), or take ten minutes describing it to someone, it really doesn't matter.  The idea is the important thing,

A creative photographer will find interpreting your ideas a challenge, and it should be fun for both of you.

Aug 13 06 06:21 am Link

Photographer

Ye Olde Photographer

San Juan, San Juan-Laventville, Trinidad and Tobago

I like this thread. I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck for poses infront of models who can't help or don't think that they need to help.

It's nice to know that there are some models who give thought to this. I'm looking forward to working with a girl who is doing series for drawing: she is storyboarding all her poses. ;>)

Aug 13 06 06:23 am Link

Photographer

MoJo40

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Equipment Needed:

1. Camera (camera phone will do)
2. Computer (use camera if necessary)
3. Printer (see number 2)
4. Color pencils
5. Sketch Book

1st  Get a picture taken of you in the general pose for your idea.
2nd Have it printed on plain copy paper
3rd  Cut out the pose and paste it into the sketch book.
4th  Draw your background onto the page along with your notes.

It doesn't have to be perfect as long as it helps you to remember and communicate your
idea(s) effectively.

Best Wishes...

Aug 13 06 06:50 am Link

Photographer

Dobias Fine Art Photo

Haddon Heights, New Jersey, US

This is a much more general question than just about photography.  It is about communication.  You are talking about the ability to focus on an image and communicate it. 

Edison's first sketch for his record player looked like it was scrawled on a cocktail napkin.  Personally, I just keep a memo pad in my pocket at all times. 

Maybe 1/10th of the models will bring me tear sheets from magazines, and that's after I've asked them to do so.  That's why I keep a stack of magazines and Post-It pad page markers around.  Sometimes, the model will just give me one word, such as "industrial" or "chivalrous" and leave it up to me to figure out how to interpret them for that. 

What mood or emotion are you trying to convey in your shots?  That's more important than your ability to draw and the distinction between good shots and shots that are just another anatomically correct, pretty girl standing in the Sears portrait booth announcing to the world that she had her hair and nails done. 

Anecdote time.
The current project I am working on is to express youthful angst.  Sure, you can look up the word "angst" in a dictionary.  But, what does that really mean in a photo?

After two weeks, one of the models internalized the concept and re-interpreted the definition into his own terms.  He paused during shooting, turned to me, and the question came out of the blue.  He asked, "How do I make it look like I'm thinking really, REALLY hard, but I'm still not happy?"

Ok.  Arm here, leg there, turn head this way, keep THINKING that mood, and BANG!  We've got the shot.

Aug 13 06 06:57 am Link

Photographer

FriskFoto

Helsinge, Hovedstaden, Denmark

I always keep a notebook close to me.. even beside the bed.
I write down my ideas and draw little images of them too (well.. I can't draw so I doodle!). Sometimes my ideas come in almost "comlete" versions, so I draw setting, pose/poses, makeup, lightning etc. But most of the time it's just fragments of ideas, so I draw a little and write down the general idea.

I try to put little arrows on my doodle-model's heads to show what direction they are looking and where the light comes from.

Normaly I have all the ideas for my photoshoots, but if the model has something to say, I will hear her out, and if she has a point/we have the time/it sounds interesting we will shoot it or plan it for another shoot.

If her idea is great I would love to work with her without being paid for my time.

Birgitte

Aug 13 06 05:05 pm Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

All great Ideas thank you so much to everyone smile

Aug 13 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

I ask models to send me links to shots they like on the net (doesn't work with print).  That way I have a feel for what're after.

Sometimes the shots are very complex and require locations I simply don't have access to. So I ask for both basic shots and everything else.

Models have to remember it takes time to light and setup a set - knowing what they want in advance helps.

Others tear images from magazines and we try to get as close as possible.

Some models have wanted to pose nude or do implied but were afraid to ask. They told me later in an email. Always ask - remember we both work as a team.  Another wanted to shoot with another female - she emailed and showed me which shot on my port they wanted to do.  Another couple or more times, models wanted to shoot with boyfriends.  Tastefully, but together.  I'm kool with all of this - but communication (whether notes or just stick figures) helps a lot.  The important thing is to communicate.  That's what team work is all about. The more we shooters know what the models is after or wants, the easier it is for us all.

Cheers and my best with you career ~ Tim

Aug 13 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

RSAS wrote:

I've seen many models and MUAs with books like that. I'm thinking of putting one together, myself, as they can provide some ideas and/or inspiration before shooting.

Aug 14 06 12:30 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Thumbnail sketches are extremely helpful, just like lists of ideas and variations. They don't have to be much more than recognizable to stimulate an idea and counter idea.

It's nice to hear your creative juices are flowing.

Wonderful.

Another thought .. I took a graphic design program at UCSD that was available cheap as a continuing education program. I found it to be a stimulating environment, and nothing that we couldn't join from scratch without fine art skills.

You might enjoy something like this in the evenings at a local college or adult school.

This traditional material is also available by surfing if you want to put your own package of information together. It seems like you are a self starter and working on your own might be faster than a class. Find a syllabus for a graphic design program and surf all the issues yourself

You may like a rich list of creativity and advertising resources I have bookmarked. You are welcome to send me an email and I'll copy them all for you.

And yes, print out pages of clip photos, 9 per page using Windows Print Wizard of favorite ideas for reference. Replication usually turns out to be totally different when you are done anyway .. it's just a source of inspiration and a direction.

Aug 14 06 12:41 am Link

Model

Chocolate Dipped Gina

Lacey, Washington, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
Thumbnail sketches are extremely helpful, just like lists of ideas and variations. They don't have to be much more than recognizable to stimulate an idea and counter idea.

It's nice to hear your creative juices are flowing.

Wonderful.

Another thought .. I took a graphic design program at UCSD that was available cheap as a continuing education program. I found it to be a stimulating environment, and nothing that we couldn't join from scratch without fine art skills.

You might enjoy something like this in the evenings at a local college or adult school.

This traditional material is also available by surfing if you want to put your own package of information together. It seems like you are a self starter and working on your own might be faster than a class. Find a syllabus for a graphic design program and surf all the issues yourself

You may like a rich list of creativity and advertising resources I have bookmarked. You are welcome to send me an email and I'll copy them all for you.

And yes, print out pages of clip photos, 9 per page using Windows Print Wizard of favorite ideas for reference. Replication usually turns out to be totally different when you are done anyway .. it's just a source of inspiration and a direction.

Since this forum I have found a website were I found a blank paper doll and face I have been coloring it for outfits and the makeup I want.  Thanks to everyone

Aug 14 06 01:08 pm Link