Forums > General Industry > Got those low down, travelin' photographer blues

Photographer

Frank Vigil Photography

Reno, Nevada, US

I live in Las Vegas, but I'm writing this from Reno, NV.  I'm here on an assignemt and I was scheduled to fly out today.  However, yesterday, while watching the news and "mayhem" at our airports, I decided there was no way in hell I was going to risk being forced to check my camera gear in.

Even when traveling "light" (camera body, three lenses, 3 CF cards, strobe, filters, accessories), I'm looking at over $15K worth of gear.  I know of too many people losing even point and shoot cameras, to baggage handlers. 

So, I hopped in my car and drove 6.5 hours to get here.  No hassles, no lines (not even any traffic to speak of), no strip searches, just me, my XM Radio and open road (and all my gear)!

While driving, I was thinking about this and what it might mean to potential out-of-town gigs.  I decided that pre-shipping my gear via Fed Ex was probably going to be the way to go.  Add THAT to your budget, clients!

Aug 11 06 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I wouldn't trust FedEx with my gear any more than I'd trust airport baggage handlers.

On the other hand think of all the time you saved, and how much more comfortable you were... my typical flight is about 2.5 hours of waiting to board and 45 minutes of waiting to get my baggage at the other end.

plus no random McDonald's stops or beautiful scenery.

Aug 11 06 01:24 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Frank Vigil Photography wrote:
. . .While driving, I was thinking about this and what it might mean to potential out-of-town gigs.  I decided that pre-shipping my gear via Fed Ex was probably going to be the way to go.  Add THAT to your budget, clients!

After seeing how packages are literally thrown, slammed and then finally crammed together w/shrink wrap. . .I would urge you to invest in some of those foamy travel case things (with the cut outs the shape of your camera) to put your equipment in.  I'd make sure it was extra dense and not "cushy" either.  Wouldn't hurt to bubble wrap it to absorb shock too.

Aug 11 06 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

A long, long time ago I shipped my darkroom, Bronica, some lens and years worth of negatives via UPS to my hometown.  Never arrived.  They will be prying it from my dead body before my camera ever leaves my hands again.

Aug 11 06 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Vigil Photography

Reno, Nevada, US

I knew, after I mentinoed "FedEx" that there would be responses, lol.  It's a "Ford vs. Chevy" "Nikon vs. Canon" thing, some swear by one, others by another.  Personally, I detest UPS, I've had the worst luck in the world with them, but not so FedEx. 

Several years ago, I had to send a $75,000.00 IR camera into the factory for service.  When I asked them about how to ship, they recommended FedEx.  "Do I just send you the keys to the lock in another package?" I asked.  "No, don't lock it, nobody locks the cases, just ship it!" was the response.   I guess that's what insurance is for!  Over the years, I've never had any bad luck with them, but I realize that there are certainly those that have. 

Yeah, the drive was actualy delightful and I estimate that I only spent a few extra hours in travel vs. flying, and a LOT less stress. 

However, my real point with all of this was, our days of taking our gear as carry-on, may certainly well be numbered!

Regards,

Frank

Aug 11 06 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

NO one should suffer the Reno to Vegas drive. The only worse drive in America is the El Paso to Midland.

next time come south through Tahoe down the 395 or SR 95 in California and then 190 east if it is not summer.

Aug 11 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

bear_mkt

Paramus, New Jersey, US

Looks like air travel is going to more of a hassle for photographers. We can now add the risk of losing photo gear to baggage handlers and airport "security."
http://blogs.usatoday.com/sky/2006/01/t … laint.html

Even before 9-11 baggage theft was rampant in the NY area. Every now and then headlines would appear about some baggage handlers getting caught and carted away. However it was only when the handlers scored a big hit like a theft of a shipment of diamonds from Lufthansa would anybody in NYPD or the feds get interested.

With 2 hour security delays on each end, plus flight delays and cancellations, and the risk of gear theft, its better to skip a short trip or drive.

By the way, the USA today link has several comments on digital camera theft, all interesting reading...

======
"A couple of months ago i flew from DEN to SRQ on a delta flight. the plane left DEN about 3 hours late and the connection in ATL was late also. when i arrived SRQ my $280 digital camera was gone. neither delta nor TSA has had the courtesy to even reply to my email."

=========
I lost $750 in travellers checks and two flashcards containing over 750 photos (half business) at SFO International when a lock on the bag was cut off. Travellers checks have been replaced but the info on the flacards has gone.
I reported to the airport authority and United. United will not speak about it and I have yet to receive a reply from the airport.

=========
I just had one of my two digital cameras carefully disected out of my camera bag, along with a porfolio of Memory Sticks. Fortunately, I ALWAYS save my photos to my laptop, or carry my memory sticks on me, just in case the xrays scan and damage them. My memories are more important than my equipment.

This was a United flight from SFO to Carlsbad, CA. Two emails, and one phone message were unanswered.. and when I was finally able to get in touch with the right person (and 3 days later) she said, "sorry, claims must be made within 24hrs".

====
I just got home from my families first vacation ever. My two sons and I flew from BOT to MCO on May 29, 2006. After arriving at the hotel I found that my laptop computer had been removed from its secure case during a TSA inspection and the individual didn’t bother to put it back. They were courteous enough to enclose a TSA card into my bag. Needless to say, my laptop did not far well and isn’t working. I downplayed it because I didn’t want to start our Florida vacation to start off on a sour note.
We flew home on Sunday June 4th. Our route was Orlando to Miami and then Miami to Boston. Once in Boston we opened our bags to take out the arm strap. There on the top of my bag was an empty camera bag.
I saved for almost a year for this trip and managed to save enough to buy an Olympus SP-500 ($400.00) and a 1 gig. memory stick ($100.00). This loss was substantial, but more disheartening was the loss of over 400 pictures that recorded a week of “first” experiences. I was devastated and went directly to the manager of AA baggage area. I was amazed when they pulled a claim refusal form from the top drawl. To me that meant that theft happened so often that the employees had to keep these forms accessible.

===

Aug 12 06 10:54 pm Link