Forums > General Industry > SG site is down

Photographer

Younique by Patrick

Tampa, Florida, US

Just wondering if anyone knows why the SG site is down? Yes..I admit to having a membership to Suicide Girls and have met some good friends through the site.

Aug 11 06 11:04 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Ummm.... isn't this the same as going to Microsoft's website and asking why Apple's website is down?   smile

-PKD

Aug 11 06 11:06 am Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

When MM goes down, do people go on other sites and post about it? Nah--they probably just play curveball...

Aug 11 06 11:07 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:
When MM goes down, do people go on other sites and post about it? Nah--they probably just play curveball...

Actually....they do.

Aug 11 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Younique by Patrick

Tampa, Florida, US

well...i like to look at SG and Mayhem as social networking sites. Both are good for generating business or interest in projects. I was just curious if anyone knew..didnt mean to open a can of worms.

Aug 11 06 11:14 am Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

Blanchard Photography wrote:
well...i like to look at SG and Mayhem as social networking sites. Both are good for generating business or interest in projects. I was just curious if anyone knew..didnt mean to open a can of worms.

No worms here. I wasn't asking sarcastically--genuinely wondering, since I don't actually belong to any other sites.

Aug 11 06 11:15 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

me neither

looking for new friends? addicted to SG?

lol

Aug 11 06 11:17 am Link

Photographer

PierJes

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

It happens once in a while.
Probably for maintenance...

Aug 11 06 11:20 am Link

Model

Tikal

Baltimore, Maryland, US

PK Digital Imaging wrote:
Ummm.... isn't this the same as going to Microsoft's website and asking why Apple's website is down?   smile

-PKD

actually thats legit because microsoft owns 25% of apple, If I owned a large part a computer based company that went offline oh yeah I'd be askin questions.

Aug 11 06 11:20 am Link

Model

Tikal

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I wouldnt tolerate maintmence that made the entire site go down if I had to pay to be a customer. Like sure its acceptable sometimes but its going to depend how long its been down but if its too long I'd start to get pissed.

Aug 11 06 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Eric Gunther

MCHENRY, Illinois, US

I swear, I only went to SG. to read the articles. 

wink

Aug 11 06 11:26 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Tikal wrote:
actually thats legit because microsoft owns 25% of apple, If I owned a large part a computer based company that went offline oh yeah I'd be askin questions.

You honestly think that MS techs will know anything about why Apple's servers are down??  MS owning 25% of Apple has nothing to do with network infrastructure.

And to the OP.. no worms here either... just was a bit odd.  smile

-PKD

Aug 11 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:

Did someone say Curveball?  smile

www.modelmayhem.com/curveball.swf

Aug 11 06 11:32 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

bad internet day?  Myspace seems to be down too (can't get to the 'home' page, only to the login page)

Although with a return like "server busy" I'm guessing DDoS attack.

Aug 11 06 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Eric Gunther

MCHENRY, Illinois, US

Yep, attack must be right - I'm up to five seporate sites giving me "server busy"
All of them being very large sites.

Give it a few hours.  Then call Al Gore and complain.

Aug 11 06 11:39 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Eric Gunther wrote:
Yep, attack must be right - I'm up to five seporate sites giving me "server busy"
All of them being very large sites.

Give it a few hours.  Then call Al Gore and complain.

Traceroutes show traffic is fine to myspace.com.   SG on the other hand... something is killing traffic once it bounces into California.

Aug 11 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

DAVE MCFARLANE

yep - check out the internet health report for san diego:
http://sd.ihr.daze.net/

Aug 11 06 11:52 am Link

Model

Tikal

Baltimore, Maryland, US

You honestly think that MS techs will know anything about why Apple's servers are down??  MS owning 25% of Apple has nothing to do with network infrastructure.

And to the OP.. no worms here either... just was a bit odd.  smile

-PKD

I thought you ment more along the lines are rivalry as in why would they care because its better business.. And it wouldnt shock me if apple used microsoft networking techonology, and would bet they have at least one microsoft based server, Apple is the better system, Apple is better graphicly but microsoft is more advanced and way way way more mainstream in networking than apple meaning if apple wanted to communicate or created a forest with other trees/ domains other than there own they have a better bet using a microsoft based server than hoping that every comp on the 3d party domain has apple talk installed. But either way.

Aug 11 06 11:55 am Link

Model

Tikal

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Traceroutes show traffic is fine to myspace.com.   SG on the other hand... something is killing traffic once it bounces into California.

Maybe something is happening over there, they are based in CA I think.

Aug 11 06 11:59 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Tikal wrote:
I thought you ment more along the lines are rivalry as in why would they care because its better business.. And it wouldnt shock me if apple used microsoft networking techonology, and would bet they have at least one microsoft based server, Apple is the better system, Apple is better graphicly but microsoft is more advanced and way way way more mainstream in networking than apple meaning if apple wanted to communicate or created a forest with other trees/ domains other than there own they have a better bet using a microsoft based server than hoping that every comp on the 3d party domain has apple talk installed. But either way.

Hehehe.. I'm not going to get into a tech debate here.  wink

You can't say Apple is a better system.  Both Mac's and PC's have their strengths and weaknesses.  Apple's main problem is 3rd party software support.

Apple is a hardware and first party software developer.  Microsoft is a 3rd party software only developer.  Graphically you can't really compare the two.  Now if you compared Apple vs Intel/AMD.. that's a different story.

-PKD

Aug 11 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Tikal wrote:
Maybe something is happening over there, they are based in CA I think.

I think someone unplugged a network server and plugged in a coffee maker.

Aug 11 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Younique by Patrick

Tampa, Florida, US

I have the airport base station in my home and my powerbook, pc, and mac mini all communicate perfectly over the network with one another. Apple just has an easy networking solution, however I not sure for large companies how secure I would feel with this solution. *smiles*

Aug 11 06 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Younique by Patrick

Tampa, Florida, US

I use my Mac's for business, photo edits, email, etc.
I use my PC just for games.

Just my preference...I enjoy the Apple OS better...cleaner design and easy to use.
I think both have there place.

Aug 11 06 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

StevesPhotography

Mustang, Oklahoma, US

Tikal wrote:

Um......where do you get these crazy ideas about Apple? Microsoft owns exactly ZERO% of Apple. The only time Microsoft owned any Apple shares was after Microsoft settled a patent infringement case by buying 100,000 special, non-voting Apple shares which MS sold after holding them the agreed 5 years.
Apple stopped using Apple talk networking 6 years ago and now uses any standard network protocol any other Unix based system can.
Apple has been selling the Xserve for years which is a capable mid level server.

Seems to me that you haven’t really looked at Macs since 1999 or so. Lots has changed.
BTW, Macs run on Intel CPUs now and you can run Windows natively on a Mac.

Aug 11 06 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Surreal Eye Studio wrote:
Did someone say Curveball?  smile

www.modelmayhem.com/curveball.swf

Oh gods *drool*
*swipes the swf*

Aug 11 06 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Blackmirror Photogenics