Forums > General Industry > Best way to develop nontear sheet pics for porfoli

Model

aavv

San Diego, California, US

Aug 11 06 03:13 am Link

Photographer

Food 4 Less

Los Angeles, California, US

I recommend getting your own printer and doing everything yourself. In the end you will save money and do additional changes to your images.

Epson R1800 is good--you can get it for $650 or so.

Aug 11 06 03:15 am Link

Photographer

Robert Feliciano

New York, New York, US

Renata Brazilia wrote:
Epson R1800 is good--you can get it for $650 or so.

That's about 300 photos from www.adoramapix.com
Probably 400 after paper and ink, minus shipping.

Aug 11 06 05:39 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

As others have suggested -- you COULD do it yourself. That's assuming you are interested in develop the skills of a expert-level darkroom worker. If this is a hobby you would like to pursue, I say go for it. Soon you will be wrestling with color-space, gamut, monitor calibration, color adjustment, and all the other technical stuff that we photographers deal with on a daily basis.

However, if you just want the occasional print, I think you are far better off to use the expertise of a local professional lab. Someone who makes prints for professional photographers every day is going to have skills that will take you months or years to develop.

Cost? Be serious. Once you factor in the cost of all the mistakes you will be making, I'll bet it will cost you ten times as much per print, compared to your local pro lab.

Talk to a few photographers in your town, and get their recommendations on the best local lab. I think that's the best place to start.

Regards,
Paul

Aug 11 06 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

robertfel wrote:

That's about 300 photos from www.adoramapix.com
Probably 400 after paper and ink, minus shipping.

Agreed!!!

Cheaper means you have something to compare it to. So cheaper then what? Cheaper then using a commercial lab, of course. But, there are a ton of labs that will print a 9x12 for not more then 5.00. I'm not knocking the concept of printing your own but what's better really depends on individual needs.

Aug 11 06 04:22 pm Link