Forums > General Industry > SAN DIEGO - where should I go for photos? HURRY!!

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm here on business and the 25+ models I contacted weeks ago all blew me off, so after finding out I have most of Friday, August 11th off, I need to know where to go for photos!!

Coronado?
La Jolla?
Torrey Pines?
The TJ border?
Point Loma Lighthouse area?
Any really cool marinas around?
Downtown SD?

I hit Mission Beach at sunset 2 years ago, so I don't need to do that again. I'm not paying $55 to go to Sea World (or don't want to pay too much to get in anywhere else, either).

I really wanted to hit a rocky beach with a model and do some shots, but doesn't look like that'll happen. I'm open for volunteers still, of course, but I'd need to solidify something tonight, in that case.

What are the best spots out here for good landscape shots?  I have from about 11am to 6pm before I have to get to the airport.

Come on San Diegoans - pimp your city! Where should I go tomorrow for some good photos?

Aug 10 06 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

J & X Photography

Arlington, Virginia, US

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
I'm here on business and the 25+ models I contacted weeks ago all blew me off, so after finding out I have most of Friday, August 11th off, I need to know where to go for photos!!

Coronado?
La Jolla?
Torrey Pines?
The TJ border?
Point Loma Lighthouse area?

I hit Mission Beach at sunset 2 years ago, so I don't need to do that again. I'm not paying $55 to go to Sea World (or don't want to pay too much to get in anywhere else, either).

I really wanted to hit a rocky beach with a model and do some shots, but doesn't look like that'll happen. I'm open for volunteers still, of course, but I'd need to solidify something tonight, in that case.

What are the best spots out here for good landscape shots?  I have from about 11am to 6pm before I have to get to the airport.

Come on San Diegoans - pimp your city! Where should I go tomorrow for some good photos?

Man, the possibilities are endless!!!

Hotel Del, Balboa park, MT Soledad, Lake Mirama, gaslamp district, Old town...

Aug 10 06 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

UGH!  This is only the 2nd time I've been here, and the first tiem I didn't have time to sight see. I don't know much about those places. Could you tell me what's there?  That might help me decide if it's worth a trip.  I'd like something exclusive to the area - not just cool trees and buildings. Make sense?

Aug 10 06 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Vestige Photography

San Diego, California, US

for a rocky shoot go to coronado or la joya

Aug 10 06 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

David Holloway

Liberty Lake, Washington, US

I like La Jolla Cove..

Aug 11 06 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Carl J Speed II

San Antonio, Texas, US

Sunset Cliffs, past Ocean Beach, has got some beautiful potential.

Aug 11 06 03:59 am Link

Photographer

zsamboni

San Antonio, Texas, US

Try sunset cliffs, or the light house at cabrillo point (point loma). the militarty cemetery just before you get to the light house has potential too. i also liked coronado with san d in the background.

i have great shots taken at these locations. shoot me an e.

good luck.

Aug 11 06 04:06 am Link

Photographer

zsamboni

San Antonio, Texas, US

and P.S.

You don't need no stinking sea world.

Aug 11 06 04:09 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Got busy with work this morning and didn't have a chance to check this thread again until now.

I'm heading out....I think I'll start in La Jolla and work my way down to Point Loma again. Hopefully I'll get to one of the harbors nd get some nice shots.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Aug 11 06 12:30 pm Link

Model

Ximena Barreto

Monterey, California, US

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
Got busy with work this morning and didn't have a chance to check this thread again until now.

I'm heading out....I think I'll start in La Jolla and work my way down to Point Loma again. Hopefully I'll get to one of the harbors nd get some nice shots.

Thanks everyone for your input!

stop by Mission Bay, end of garnet ave (pier), the roller coaster at the end of mission beach, then onto pt. loma....

there is a marina over by lindbergh you'll see from pt. cabrillo.  If you are in the military than you can get onto North Island and they have a great beach there with point loma as your backdrop.

while you are there TRY TO SHOOT THE EVER ELUSIVE "GREEN FLASH""!!!!!!!  If you can shoot it you are a GOD photographer!!!

Aug 11 06 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I hit La Jolla Cove...spent about 2 hours there wishing I had a model to shoot....that's my kind of landscape! Too bad I contacted a bunch of flakes that either can't type "no thanks" or say yes then fall off the face of the Earth. San Diego has more beautiful women per capita than any place I've ever visitied....too bad none of them seem to want to be photographed.

After La Jolla, I cruised down to the Mission beach area, had the Subway guy give away my sandwich to the guy in front of me and then ask ME why I ddn't say anything, then went down in front of the airport and shot some planes, then met a freind at the downtown mall (and even saw a real live Pimp!).

I would have liked to have checked out the Star of India and the Midway aircraft carrier, but ran out of time.

Oh well - next time, I think my freind and I decided it would be best to just go to a Hooters and ask if any of them wanted to model - I'd probably have better luck than these "modeling" sites (for California anyway).

I had a free day up in the Bay Area in 2 weeks, but due to lack of interest from models, I canned my free day and am just going to go there to work.

Man....I thought the Denver market for models was dried up. Oh well.

Aug 12 06 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ximena Bright wrote:
while you are there TRY TO SHOOT THE EVER ELUSIVE "GREEN FLASH""!!!!!!!  If you can shoot it you are a GOD photographer!!!

I wish I knew what that was....I'm always up for a challenge (although I'm not military).

Aug 12 06 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

J & X Photography

Arlington, Virginia, US

Sleepy Weasel wrote:

I wish I knew what that was....I'm always up for a challenge (although I'm not military).

green flash is a atmospheric effect the curvature of the earth has the instance the sun sets...you'll literally see a "green flash" of light...I've seen it on the pacific about 10 times and the gulf of mexico once...but the air has to be clear all the way to the horizon,. happens best in winter/fall because less haze from heat.

Aug 12 06 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Bonita Photography

Bonita, California, US

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
I hit La Jolla Cove...spent about 2 hours there wishing I had a model to shoot....that's my kind of landscape! Too bad I contacted a bunch of flakes that either can't type "no thanks" or say yes then fall off the face of the Earth. San Diego has more beautiful women per capita than any place I've ever visitied....too bad none of them seem to want to be photographed.

Dude...No need to bad mouth SD models.  I've never had a no show, and have more TFCD requests than I can handle.  There are plenty of great models in SD.  It's not really a mystery what happened to you.  Fact is, there are a shitload of SD photographers that can and will offer models what you were offering and pay them also.  You were facing some stiff competition in the SD market.  In retrospect, if you wanted to be sure and line up some models wouldn't it have been better to offer the models some compensation other than TFCD?

Kevin

I had another thought that might help you put things in perspective.  I know a tog with a nice motorhome.  He stocks it up with food and drinks.  He then invites a model or two to spend the day going to all the cool SD locations traveling around in the motorhome doing shoots.  At the end of the day he burns them a CD of all the images.  Betond that he is a OMG, great photographer.  Hope this helps.  Kevin

Aug 13 06 06:55 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

kevin atkinson wrote:
I had another thought that might help you put things in perspective.  I know a tog with a nice motorhome.  He stocks it up with food and drinks.  He then invites a model or two to spend the day going to all the cool SD locations traveling around in the motorhome doing shoots.  At the end of the day he burns them a CD of all the images.  Beyond that he is a OMG, great photographer.  Hope this helps.  Kevin

Haha ... that sounds like the infamous "Photomobile"

Iona Lynn liked the onboard selection of Italian red wine and fresh cut sashimi. The Photomobile House Beer ... Becks ... is my personal favorite. It's always a few degrees below ice.

I enjoy any opportunity to tag along.

Life is sweet.

PS - CD's are too small. That would be DVD's

Aug 13 06 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

My suggestion to the OP would be to start at the point where he stands in his hotel room, and work outwards from there.

Put the camera to your eye and start exploring.

Find rich lighting, and compose your photos around that.

What fun!

Aug 13 06 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
My suggestion to the OP would be to start at the point where he stands in his hotel room, and work outwards from there.

What fun!

I can do that anywhere. smile

Aug 13 06 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

kevin atkinson wrote:
Dude...No need to bad mouth SD models.  I've never had a no show, and have more TFCD requests than I can handle.  There are plenty of great models in SD.  It's not really a mystery what happened to you.  Fact is, there are a shitload of SD photographers that can and will offer models what you were offering and pay them also.  You were facing some stiff competition in the SD market.  In retrospect, if you wanted to be sure and line up some models wouldn't it have been better to offer the models some compensation other than TFCD?

In another thread I started, many SoCal photogs had similar experiences to me with San Diego models. Also, I contacted models that state they want to do TFCD/trade. The perk in working with me is they get some shots that they might nototherwise get working with someone else. Not to say my 'style' is super-unique or anything, but I also don't see many photogs (not here anyway)shooting the stuff I'm trying to. Anyone can shoot a model on a beach in a bikini....I was offering something different. Apparently most San Diego models want to be paid (even though they offer TFCD) and be photographed in bikinis on the beach.

The few that did reply either had other plans that day or were out of town (or said yes then never replied back).  If telling the truth about my experience is "bad mouthing the models," then I don't know what to say. smile

Aug 13 06 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Sleepy Weasel wrote:

I can do that anywhere. smile

Indeed. The essence of art comes from the inside out.

Aug 13 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

San Francisco, California, US

A good model is hard to find and many photographers are probably happy to accommodate what models would like, myself included. That's the essence of the "trade" part of TFP/CD. When I see a model's port full of a certain type of shot, I'd assume that's what the models want.

SD is full of beach shots huh? In honor of that, I'm changing my avatar to a beach photo!

Aug 13 06 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Bonita Photography

Bonita, California, US

Click Hamilton wrote:

What fun!

Damm Click,  I thought you might be sleeping and not see the photomoblie blurb.  :>)  Other than that, I didn't want to get into the issue of a good tog being able to create killer images in a jail cell if he has imagination.  I just had to stand up for SD  models. Happy shooting.  kevin

Aug 13 06 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Blackmon

Oakland, California, US

USD

Aug 13 06 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Ian Maddela

Think about what you were asking for: a TFCD shoot on a weekday during what appears to be working hours, in San Diego.  A) Most models here are probably jaded by all the beach shoot offers they get from photogs wanting to get them in their bikinis.  I bet 90% of the models here shot at the beach for their first shoot and have been back many times for the same purpose.  Does one more TFCD shoot with the same setting have much value in that case?  B) It's San Diego, it's freaking expensive to live here and most likely have jobs to go to during the week.  Even if it was to be in the afternoon after work, I doubt too many models would want to go to a shoot tired after a day of working and dealing with rush hour traffic to get to the beach.  Is it any surprise they weren't flocking to the offer?

Aug 13 06 09:46 pm Link