Forums > General Industry > Definitions For Types Of Photography/Modeling

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I was wondering if there may be a standard definition for things such as editorial, tear sheet, glamour and nude posted anywhere. These specific types of modeling seem to cause the most gray area issues. I see a lot of "what it means to me" stuff. Especially when it comes to Glamour photography. Real glamour photography has nothing to do with the t&a shots it has become in modern photography.Another one is the nude catagory. I have seen some models say they do nude modeling, and when you look at their examples of what they call nude, there is no nudity involved in the shot at all and would at most be considered implied, if even that.

Aug 02 05 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Posted by Glamour Boulevard: 
I was wondering if there may be a standard definition for things such as editorial, tear sheet, glamour and nude posted anywhere. These specific types of modeling seem to cause the most gray area issues. I see a lot of "what it means to me" stuff. Especially when it comes to Glamour photography. Real glamour photography has nothing to do with the t&a shots it has become in modern photography.Another one is the nude catagory. I have seen some models say they do nude modeling, and when you look at their examples of what they call nude, there is no nudity involved in the shot at all and would at most be considered implied, if even that.

The net has blurred many of the old definitions, sometimes through a gradual process of evoliution which comes naturally to language, but sometimes it's through a simple lack of knowledge.  It's too easy to just guess at the definitions

Editorial - Editorial shots are usually intended as illustrations for magazine articles, etc. On the net, I've seen editorial most uften used to descrive editorial fashion, but that's just one aspect.  If the photo is included in a magaine or newspaper article, to illustrate a point, then it's editorial.

Tear sheet - A photo carefully 'torn', (usually with a ruler and razor blade for neatness) from a magazine or other opublication. It's used in a portfolio to show the model, makeup artist, stylist or the photographer has been successfully hired and published published.

Glamour - Glamour attempts to idealize the beauty and attractiveness of the subject and to show that person is irresistible. In glamour, the driving force is sexuality. In my view, modern glamour photography began with the Hollywood glamour portraits of movie stars in the 1940s and 50s and with the pin-up photos which gained popularity as PR photos of the actors and actresses. Glamour has many differing styles and can include head and shoulder portraits through Playboy style nudes.

Nude - While "nude" is simply without clothes, often some addirtonal information is needed as nude photogrpahy covers such a huge range of styles.
Artistic nude - Nude images are most often B&W but can also be color and are intended to be used as a piece of art, to be shown in art galleries and/or sold to art collectors. 
Glamour nudes - Usually in something akin to Playboy style photos and are also referred to as glamour nudes.
Covered nude - The model is nude, but the 'parts' are covered by some object, hands, fabrics, etc so that they are not visible in the photo.
Implied nude - Here, the image causes the model to appear to be nude, but actually may or may not be.

Note, some models have an interesst in posing nude, but for reasons of their own prefer not to show their nude images on their own web sites.

Aug 03 05 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Posted by Doug Lester: 

Posted by Glamour Boulevard: 

The net has blurred many of the old definitions, sometimes through a gradual process of evoliution which comes naturally to language, but sometimes it's through a simple lack of knowledge.  It's too easy to just guess at the definitions

Editorial - Editorial shots are usually intended as illustrations for magazine articles, etc. On the net, I've seen editorial most uften used to descrive editorial fashion, but that's just one aspect.  If the photo is included in a magaine or newspaper article, to illustrate a point, then it's editorial.

Tear sheet - A photo carefully 'torn', (usually with a ruler and razor blade for neatness) from a magazine or other opublication. It's used in a portfolio to show the model, makeup artist, stylist or the photographer has been successfully hired and published published.

Glamour - Glamour attempts to idealize the beauty and attractiveness of the subject and to show that person is irresistible. In glamour, the driving force is sexuality. In my view, modern glamour photography began with the Hollywood glamour portraits of movie stars in the 1940s and 50s and with the pin-up photos which gained popularity as PR photos of the actors and actresses. Glamour has many differing styles and can include head and shoulder portraits through Playboy style nudes.

Nude - While "nude" is simply without clothes, often some addirtonal information is needed as nude photogrpahy covers such a huge range of styles.
Artistic nude - Nude images are most often B&W but can also be color and are intended to be used as a piece of art, to be shown in art galleries and/or sold to art collectors. 
Glamour nudes - Usually in something akin to Playboy style photos and are also referred to as glamour nudes.
Covered nude - The model is nude, but the 'parts' are covered by some object, hands, fabrics, etc so that they are not visible in the photo.
Implied nude - Here, the image causes the model to appear to be nude, but actually may or may not be.

Note, some models have an interesst in posing nude, but for reasons of their own prefer not to show their nude images on their own web sites. 

I agree with your definitions.  I just wish some sort of list of what each type means was more widely known to those who do not know. I have seen a lot of photographers and models photographs in their portfolio miscatagorized. My main thing is I wish a lot of models would understand the difference between nude, implied nude or partial nude. I have had many models say they wanted to do nude work for me and I ask them for examples of their previous nude work and what they send me is implied or even less than implied. Then I show them some nude work I have done if they have not seen it already and they`re like, sorry , I don`t do that.

Aug 03 05 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

I just saw another post asking about definitions. Maybe we could post these definitions somewhere here? Maybe form a glossary section. I just noticed I did not see your definition for "beauty" photography/modeling.

Dec 14 05 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Doug Lester wrote:

So what is it called if they don't use a ruler, "a torn up sheet?"

I think a tear sheet is a tear sheet no matter how neatly you take it out of the book. 

BTW, the reason they call it a tear sheet is because it has been torn from the publication.  From an industry standpoint, it is just an example of work you have been in that has been commercially published (flyers, brocures, catalogs, newspaper ads, etc. would all still qualify as tear sheets).

Dec 14 05 03:15 pm Link