Forums > General Industry > Your photography is just like anyone else's

Photographer

Wil with one L

Malibu, California, US

I'm not a big forum poster, but I thought that some of you would get a kick out of this conversation that was initated by a "model" in response to a travel notification that I put out...

---

x NAME REMOVED x
08/09/06 6:42 PM
I am very interested in setting up a time to shoot with you this weekend. I live about 45 minutes from that area. I really like the life and excitement you bring into your photos. If possible I would only ask for a little bit of a contribution to the gas tank smile I can also bring my boyfriend (who is just getting into modeling, I can send you pictures of him and I tomorrow (we just had another shoot tonight)) and a friend of mine (x NAME REMOVED x) along. That would give you plenty of faces and exciting models to work with. Let me know if your interested in working with some of the most energetic models in this area. A fun weekend is in order smile

Wil
08/09/06 8:55 PM
(Message read)  Hey Lindsay,

Thanks for the interest. I love the enthusiasm, but I'm pretty well booked for the weekend now. Just for future reference, here are my rates:

www.URL REMOVED.com

Best of luck with your modeling...

Wil

x NAME REMOVED x
08/09/06 11:55 PM
Haha. You're kidding with showing me the rates right. Get over yourself.

Wil
08/10/06 12:02 AM
(Message read)  You're kidding about kidding, right? Get professional.

x NAME REMOVED x
08/10/06 12:26 AM
I don't pay for my shots. And advertising your travel isnt going to get you models that pay. Your photography is just like anyone else's.

Aug 10 06 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

And?

Aug 10 06 01:42 am Link

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

tell her that her looks are like everyone elses! touche.. lol jk.. that's just gonna sound sore loser

Aug 10 06 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Wil with one L

Malibu, California, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
And?

I think that a person with snapshots in their "portfolio" saying "Your photography is just like anyone else's" is worth chuckling at

Aug 10 06 01:44 am Link

Photographer

Wil with one L

Malibu, California, US

Actually, I think that anyone that says "Your photography is just like anyone else's" is laughable. So much for creativity...

Aug 10 06 01:47 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Wil  wrote:

I think that a person with snapshots in their "portfolio" saying "Your photography is just like anyone else's" is worth chuckling at

Not really...this happens all the time.
Two days ago I got an email offering me a special 15% off if I ever decide I want to get real pictures from a real photographer.

I laughed yes, but did I make a thread about it?....No.

Aug 10 06 01:51 am Link

Photographer

re- photography

San Francisco, California, US

Wil  wrote:

Both sides were being snide........
Let those who do TFP/TFCD work work with those who do and not bother those who don't, but neither side deserves a "holier than thou" act (you didn't say that the model didn't have any professional portfolio at all) it is sort of interesting that specifically the model changes her attitude, why not just say, oh, I can't afford to hire a photographer or I was looking for a TFP/TFCD photographer, and my opinion of this depends on whether the photographer made any rude remarks about the model other than he would be willing to work with her paid but not TFP/TFCD.....

the whole thing is farcical, and I can't believe that I'm using up sleeping time writing this....

Ryan Entwistle - Photographer
re: photography

Aug 10 06 01:54 am Link

Photographer

Wil with one L

Malibu, California, US

Nemi Bea wrote:

Not really...this happens all the time.
Two days ago I got an email offering me a special 15% off if I ever decide I want to get real pictures from a real photographer.

I laughed yes, but did I make a thread about it?....No.

Maybe I am just tired and cranky on this one...

Aug 10 06 01:54 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Wil  wrote:

Maybe I am just tired and cranky on this one...

Yep.
I think my response was on the cranky side too....sorry.
Why don't we both call it a night?

Aug 10 06 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Wil with one L

Malibu, California, US

Nemi Bea wrote:

Yep.
I think my response was on the cranky side too....sorry.
Why don't we both call it a night?

I'm with you.

Well, not WITH you...but yeah, lets do the head to pillow thing.  :-)

Aug 10 06 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Wil  wrote:

Your portfolio is far from being a set of snapshots. I would hope that you could just consider the source and walk away holding your head up as if you never met them/her.

It’s just as if someone cut you off in traffic, would you chase them down and scold them or wait till you were with a group of your friends to share the tale of the ill driver that you met?

I got a similar response yesterday from a mode I wanted to work with, so I thanked her for her time and went on about my business, wiser from the information I now have about her point of view on modeling.

Aug 10 06 01:58 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Wil  wrote:

I'm with you.

Well, not WITH you...but yeah, lets do the head to pillow thing.  :-)

Alrighty...night night.
Dream about kittens, puppies, and models that aren't postal. smile

Aug 10 06 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Wil with one L

Malibu, California, US

Craig Thomson wrote:
It’s just as if someone cut you off in traffic, would you chase them down and scold them or wait till you were with a group of your friends to share the tale of the ill driver that you met?

http://leftlanedicks.com/

Thanks for the kind words, by the way.

:-)

Aug 10 06 02:01 am Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Wil  wrote:

http://leftlanedicks.com/

Thanks for the kind words, by the way.

:-)

Hey, Bill! Please spread the word in among your fellow New Jersyeiaaenes (or whatver you are called) traveling through my beloved Washington, DC area: all lanes here are for passing and cruising so if you get behind someone in the left lane and flicker your lights - you are the jerk. We would appreciate you not flashing your lights.

Likewise - give us a break on the turnpike until like exit 5-6 to catch on. After like exit 8 we can certainly be called jerks.

;-)

Aug 10 06 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Holy crap...lemme read this over again just to make sure....

A thread with a happy ending!

Inconceivable!

Aug 10 06 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

We just switched from not handling rejection well to highway passing lanes.

He vented his frustration about models that can't take "no" quietly and I vented my frustration with New Jersey drivers coming to my highways and trying to change my passing lane customs.

Aug 10 06 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I can tell you from experience that models who are overly-enthusiastic at first and promise to bring other models are high flake risks. It's almost as if they burn up their enthusiasm early, and have nothing left for the shoot.

About a month ago, I had a response from an enthusiastic model who wanted to bring another model and that model's aspiring-model sister. I invited a second photographer to help assure everyone would get plenty of images. They all flaked in a coordinated manner the night before. Fortunately, the other photographer is also a model, and she brought a model with her as well.

Aug 10 06 12:51 pm Link

Model

Amanda Vorhies

Plattsburgh, New York, US

Some are such flakes. but this is funny

Aug 10 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

I think the response (with rates url) was rather polite. I do it all the time. Earning in this day and age is a weeding process. Keep it up, and stick to your guns.

Aug 10 06 04:44 pm Link