Forums > General Industry > Wondering what it takes exactly to be a Pro model

Model

Samantha-Lynne

Douglasville, Georgia, US

I've heard several things on this, such as you must be getting paid for your work, or simply treat your modeling shoots as a business, or that it is your sole income. I'm not sure if to list myself as an amature, or a professional..since I've been at this for 2 years now and have gotten some wonderful pictures in my opinion. Please tell me your thoughts on this, its been an issue with my family for a long time (they say I should list as pro..I think Amature because I do not do this as a full-time thing)

Thanks!
Samantha-Lynne
Atlanta, Georgia

Aug 09 06 01:58 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

professional - Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood or as a career. if you're not earning a living or part of that from modelling you are not a professional model. simple. don't lose brain matter over this.

Aug 09 06 02:01 am Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

Well some people play the piano for years and years but are hardly PROs.  In your case judging from the quality of the photos it is definitely amature, but so what if you like it and have a some adventures etc...

I think professional models are working regularly for an established agency, in demand (I know several models who do lots of big mag editorial but make dont make big money as their look is not what advertisers want- but they are pro) able to pose well, create a character, be realistic in behavior.

I have worked in Europe 6 years, have around 15 agents there, been with FORD, ELite and Wilhelmina in NYC, am in ads for Lenovo and IBM computers as well as the up coming September issue of Details (midlife crisis guy going back to NYU), flown to Dubai for work, got my SAG card in Sex and the City, Was cast by Woody Allen himself for Celebrity, some speaking parts on soaps BUT I never made more than $15,000 a year as a model aGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH

I am pro due to my abilities but not by income.

good luck

Mark

Aug 09 06 10:06 pm Link