Forums > General Industry > Amateur Or Pro?

Photographer

Antonio Ferreira

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I’m still calling myself a amateur not sure if I should change that and if my photos are up to par with some of the pros on this site please have a look at my portfolio and give me some feedback if you have time thanks everyone.

Aug 08 06 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Go to your nearest art museum, a good one.  If you can travel, I recommend the Metropolitan, the National Gallery, or the Art Institute in Chicago.  Look at the paintings.  Is "pro" the first word that pops into your head?  Aren't there better words to describe quality?

Aug 08 06 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

The guy that takes your passport photos at the Kinko's is a professional photographer. The people that take snapshots of houses as they drive by for the real estate agencies are professional photographers. The "Old Fasioned" photography done at the county fair is professional photography. Get your picture taken with Santa this Saturday at the Mall is professional photography. There are many great professional photographers and I am not intending any disrespect to anybody or how they make a living. Just thought I would toss in my 2 cents of perspective.

Aug 08 06 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

Kris Perry Photography

Placentia, California, US

Michael L. wrote:
The guy that takes your passport photos at the Kinko's is a professional photographer. The people that take snapshots of houses as they drive by for the real estate agencies are professional photographers. The "Old Fasioned" photography done at the county fair is professional photography. Get your picture taken with Santa this Saturday at the Mall is professional photography. There are many great professional photographers and I am not intending any disrespect to anybody or how they make a living. Just thought I would toss in my 2 cents of perspective.

Exactly!

Aug 08 06 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

pro only infers that you earn your living from that field in which you are professional. its all about the money. it has squat to do with quality.

Aug 08 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Prairie Town Production

Topeka, Kansas, US

If you make money from taking pictures, you are a pro. No indication of the quality of the image or the amount of the money made is involved.

I have seen (as everyone has) great amateurs and poor pros. Pro (professional) indicated revenue.

Anyway, we are all still learning so why not just say you have a "Photography Practice" and leave it at that.

Me, I'm a practicing photographer and the more I learn, the more I know, I need to learn more.

Larry

Aug 08 06 11:28 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

the thing I learned after all the time I spent on this site is that its all about the choices you make about how to make your images...they dont look professional so far but who knows maybe you made millions from those and you are a pro then....so you judge yourself I say

Aug 08 06 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

oldguysrule wrote:
pro only infers that you earn your living from that field in which you are professional. its all about the money. it has squat to do with quality.

Yup, sad but true

Aug 08 06 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Antonio Ferreira

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks to everyone that wrote a comment I guess I didn’t quite understand that amateur or pro is just the difference of whether you make money and a living at taking photos but was happy that some of you did give me some critique on my portfolio and that’s what I was looking for . Take care everyone and keep taking those pics.

Aug 09 06 01:50 am Link