Forums > General Industry > Why don't you put the models or make up credit

Photographer

luciano Mello

São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil

Is not fair with the model or the make up  artist, when the photographer just not post the deserved credits.
  I hate when I see a gorgeous model or a great make up work and I want to know who is but the credit is blank.
  Ok if she or he doesn't have model mayhem # at least put the name on it and if she or he has an agency would be cool to add the agency. 
  Is polite and helps everyone.  The same happens for models that don’t put photographer’s credits, but I have to tell, most of models add the credits, this happens more with photographers. Sometimes I know is hard for who has some images with more than 10 years like me, and don't have all the names but thats ok.

Well that's it, I said it.

Aug 08 06 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Opus Lily

New York, New York, US

Many photographers here work with agency models who are not part of MM, so even if they credit them, I don't see how useful that info is to you. I do see many photographers here credit the model along with her agency.

Aug 08 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

luciano Mello

LiliOPhoto wrote:
Many photographers here work with agency models who are not part of MM, so even if they credit them, I don't see how useful that info is to you. It's not like you could call an agency and ask for a particular model, unless you are going to pay good money to hire. I do see many photographers here credit the model along with her agency.

Oh hummmm... Is useful so when I have a job that may fits that model I know where I can find her. The "good money" thing you mean I belive is something that I or anyone can set up with the agency.   But anyway this is a network website. Why this info is so hard to post.  is not Because the agency, I see a lot of models here there also in major agencies and there is no problems.   

Anyway is not only about agency, is about photographers who doesn't put any credit at all ... Models or make up artist .

Aug 08 06 05:24 pm Link

Model

kiana's place

Citrus Heights, California, US

When I see that I often wonder if the photographer is hiding that info on purpose. Like he doesn't want us to know who the person is. Perhaps the shoot went bad or those aren't even his photos so he doesn't want anyone to contact the model or MUA. To me no credits is a big red flag. Could also be a sluggo who is trying to hide his models. Either way doesn't look good.

Aug 08 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Opus Lily

New York, New York, US

Aug 08 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Opus Lily

New York, New York, US

kiana's place wrote:
When I see that I often wonder if the photographer is hiding that info on purpose. Like he doesn't want us to know who the person is. Perhaps the shoot went bad or those aren't even his photos so he doesn't want anyone to contact the model or MUA. To me no credits is a big red flag. Could also be a sluggo who is trying to hide his models. Either way doesn't look good.

You sound like a typical internet model. I'm sorry for being so blunt. It's obvious you have little experience when it comes to the fashion industry. There are plenty of legitimate fashion photographers here on this site who don't list anything. Look at Navid, Fotorat, EAD Productions. Which one lists their models? This is also why they don't bother with internet models.

Edit: I should also add that pro photographers don't care what you think.

Aug 08 06 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Ian Maddela

San Diego, California, US

Umm, not everyone who poses for a photo is on MM or with an agency...

Aug 08 06 05:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

2 by 2 Makeup Artistry

Phoenix, Arizona, US

##########*******We want credit -MUA'S!!!

Aug 08 06 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

eyelight

Moorpark, California, US

LiliOPhoto wrote:
You sound like a typical internet model. I'm sorry for being so blunt. It's obvious you have little experience when it comes to the fashion industry. There are plenty of legitimate fashion photographers here on this site who don't list anything. Look at Navid, Fotorat, EAD Productions. Which one lists their models? This is also why they don't bother with internet models.

Wow.. that was awfully harsh considering the truth of what she said.  There are several  photographers on this site who are nowhere near the league of the people you mention who have admitted hiding the info because they dont want other photographers contacting "their" models.  Its stupid and childish, but it does happen.

Aug 08 06 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

Ian Maddela wrote:
Umm, not everyone who poses for a photo is on MM or with an agency...

It could also be said, not everyone who poses for a photo is a model or aspires to be one. Crediting the model as a photographer's friend/acquaintance/relative/stranger off the street won't be of any help.

Using a camera does not = photographer.
Being a person does not = model.

Aug 08 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Opus Lily

New York, New York, US

eyelight wrote:
Wow.. that was awfully harsh consdiering the truth of what she said.  There are several  photographers on this site who are nowhere near the league of the people you mention who have admitted hiding the info because they dont want other photographers contacting "their" models.  Its stupid and childish, but ti does happen.

It may be harsh. But her statement was more absolute and offensive to photographers that don't mention credits. I have some friends who are photographers on this site who don't always mention the model. That doesn't make them cheats. Her statement was absolute. She was grouping everybody together.

Aug 08 06 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

eyelight

Moorpark, California, US

LiliOPhoto wrote:

It may be harsh. But her statement was more absolute and offensive to photographers that don't mention credits. I have some friends who are photographers on this site who don't always mention the model. That doesn't make them cheats. Her statement was absolute. She was grouping everybody together.

Fair enough... I am an admirer of those you list as well as others like Gavin O'Neill and Eric Striffler, etc...  I don't think she was talking about them, though it could easily be construed as such...

Aug 08 06 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

i give credit. smile work with me! big_smile

Aug 08 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Michael J

Rustburg, Virginia, US

I always try to list a models name (and MUA) on her/his photos, and if I haven't, then you can be sure that if you message me, I will tell you who they are. 
You have to remember, that not all models have "public" contact information, however.

Aug 08 06 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

LiliOPhoto wrote:

It may be harsh. But her statement was more absolute and offensive to photographers that don't mention credits...

Yes, phrases like "I often wonder if", "perhaps", and "could also be" are very absolute. 

Red flags are warning signs, not absolutes.

Aug 08 06 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Opus Lily

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Yes, phrases like "I often wonder if", "perhaps", and "could also be" are very absolute. 

Red flags are warning signs, not absolutes.

The question is, what do you think of people who don't include credits, and does that take something away from the photographer? Post something about the topic; it's much more constructive.

Edit: By absolute I meant it as in the model grouping all the photographers that don't give credit into the same catagory, as if there's an absolute law. So if they don't give credit, they must not be for real in one way or another. Do you get it?

Aug 08 06 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Cyberhawk Studios

Mount Vernon, Washington, US

Work with me, I always do!

Aug 08 06 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

If they are on MM I always add their credits. They are a big part of the success of the image.

I find it very helpful in finding both models and MUA when other people add credits to their pictures.

Aug 08 06 06:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Susan Verdugo

Los Angeles, California, US

I don't credit simply for aesthetic reasons...  plus, when MM took away photo captions, I realized I liked it even better.

That said, I have provided enquiring parties with info, and then copy tog or mod on this.  I'll also follow-up and let someone know that their image is getting a lot of hits/comments on my page.

Aug 08 06 06:26 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

If the people are on this site and they don't credit them, they are just being lazy and not looking up the numbers or meanies.

Aug 08 06 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

eyelight

Moorpark, California, US

Susan Verdugo wrote:
I don't credit simply for aesthetic reasons...  plus, when MM took away photo captions, I realized I liked it even better.

That said, I have provided enquiring parties with info, and then copy tog or mod on this.  I'll also follow-up and let someone know that their image is getting a lot of hits/comments on my page.

How do you feel when a photographer or model doesn't credit you on the image they post?  Is it possible that this deprives you of a possible job? 

just wondering (no normative judgement implied)

Aug 08 06 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

At any given time a good percentage of my portfolio is filled with friends, family, co-workers, or once-removeds of all of those, and I've rarely had the pleasure of working with makeup artists.  When there is portfolio information and links to be given, I do.  As often as not, there aren't. 

It perturbs me that the assumption is that I'm "hiding" something for nefarious reasons, rather than that there simply aren't any links to be given.

Aug 08 06 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

I always post whatever credits I should.  I would like to point out that I have NEVER had a MUA no show or not respond to an email.

Aug 08 06 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

eyelight

Moorpark, California, US

markcomp wrote:
I always post whatever credits I should.  I would like to point out that I have NEVER had a MUA no show or not respond to an email.

Funny.  I hear people bitch about unreliable models and unreliable photographers, but I've never heard of an MUA flaking!  That's been my experience at least...

Aug 08 06 06:38 pm Link

Model

Andrea Barnett

Sacramento, California, US

i understand your point.... but if the girl is perfect enough for the job you want, you could always email them for the name. def more pain in the butt, but you dont see ads naming their models either. sometimes they are jobs (many times the case in roberto and gavins situations) that they shot. im sure they wouldnt be stingy with names, but may not give them out terribly easy either. anywho... mua most def, thats how they get their work, a lot dont have agents.

Aug 08 06 11:57 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LMA

i think even if the model or mua is not on MM they still deserve credit listed...afterall the final image did not simply happen because the photographer was there to shoot it.. A beautiful image in the end is a result of teamwork! Modeling, Styling, everything working together!  So why not credit everyone involved even if they are an agency model and not on here?  It's a means of appreciation and I always appreciate that! Give credit where credit is due...

Thanks
MM 1295 haha
Lotus

Aug 09 06 12:05 am Link

Model

Christine

As a model, I will always give credit to my photogs and MUAs and stylists.  In magazines I almost always see credit given to at least the photog and model.

What the hell is a sluggo?

Aug 09 06 12:16 am Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Most of the times, I dont put the credits, cuz Im lazy .. but if u REALLY like the make up or the model, there is a link where u can send the photographer a message! smile

Aug 09 06 12:51 am Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

i only have 1 person that i have photoed that is interested in modeling and the rest i pick up off the street a LOT of them ask me not to put there names up that is why i do not do it in fact i may have only been able to photo them in 5 to 10 minets so i do not always get there names as far as MUAs never worked with one

Aug 09 06 12:58 am Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

I have about 20 pix floating around MM where credit wasnt given to me.

I use to be irritated by it- especially since I make an effort to credit everyone on my main page as well.

However I just ended up looking at it as - If I have the pic for my paper port or my main website- they can call me Boss Hog and it wouldnt matter.

Aug 09 06 01:02 am Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

On my profile page....

For the MM model links, please just email me. (ie, inbox me...)

Aug 09 06 01:48 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Most of the time, when I see [a pattern of] someone NOT giving credit where it's due, I assume one of two things:

1) s/he is really lazy    -OR-
2) is unwilling to share the info for f*d up territorial reasons

Neither of those is particularly flattering.

Photographers, crediting names is not the same thing as posting private contact info.  Really, it's okay. smile

If you're in a situation where posting a name would cause legal problems... I would hazard a guess that you probably shouldn't be using the photo online in the first place.

Now, to be fair, sometimes I forget at first when I upload new photos, but I always go back in and make sure everyone's accounted for relatively soon afterwards.

Aug 09 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

luciano Mello

LiliOPhoto wrote:

First thing not all Photo professionals work in Fashion industry, second the fact those photographer don't give any credit doesn't mean they are right.   If she sounds like am internet model you sound for me as a M.W.C Model with a camera. 

The fact for me is This is a networking website and it's for free a courtesy of give credits for those who worked with you is just comon sense.

Aug 18 06 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Opus Lily

New York, New York, US

luciano  Mello wrote:
First thing not all Photo professionals work in Fashion industry, second the fact those photographer don't give any credit doesn't mean they are right.   If she sounds like am internet model you sound for me as a M.W.C Model with a camera. 

The fact for me is This is a networking website and it's for free a courtesy of give credits for those who worked with you is just comon sense.

Fair enough.

My argument wasn't about not including models who are a part of this site. I was speaking about how some photographers don't mention models they work with outside of MM. They are not obligated to write the names of models outside of MM, are they? I do agree about including all MM talent.

What is an M.W.C. Model with a camera?

Aug 18 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Wade Henderson

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, US

Ummm, I do.

Aug 18 06 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Some photographer will list models they have worked with.

Others give both model and MUA credits.

Some don't give any credits at all.

There is no way to know beforehand other than discussing it with the photographer. But be aware that many feel if they are paying for the shoot that asking for credits will not go over well.

Then too even some photographers don't get the credit line on every photo taken. It's a very mixed bag out there. No sense getting upset about it just go with the flow and hope things improve.

Aug 18 06 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

scottmarrsdotcom

San Francisco, California, US

Interesting debate.
I have worked my credit bases this way.
If I paid the model, I do not give the Model credit. If it was TFCD I always give the Model credit.
Just my point of view.

Aug 18 06 03:11 pm Link