Forums > General Industry > Shooting location in..scarey heat

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

So im not much of a heat person, anything past 50 and im ranting and complaining how i cant leave my house nakid and how stupid the law is because of it.

Now then, its summer and...shooting shall not stop because of it!
I have a shoot on location this month and *shiver* the heat is SCAWLLLLLDING. So i was wondering if ne one had tips for dealing with the situation^_^

Other than the blatent "put on sunscreen!" im more concerned over how to prevent my makeup from melting and getting visuably sweaty LoL

Aug 08 06 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Adams Photography

Eufaula, Alabama, US

put your feet in a pan of cool water and have a cool damp toel to drape over your shoulders and neck and donf forget the umbrella

Aug 08 06 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Adams Photography

Eufaula, Alabama, US

towel ... LOL

Aug 08 06 08:06 am Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

There is not much you can do if you will be on location . If you have a car near the set keep it running with the Ac on. And jump in when you are not shooting. Also stay in the shade as much as posable. Drink lots..and I mean lots of water. Good luck..

Mike

Aug 08 06 08:09 am Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

Adams Photography wrote:
put your feet in a pan of cool water and have a cool damp toel to drape over your shoulders and neck and donf forget the umbrella

Yes...That is a great point..bring an umbrella..that is a must !!

Mike

Aug 08 06 08:10 am Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

Darn, no magical tips to prevent ickie sweat?

Aug 08 06 08:10 am Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

That Look Photo wrote:

Yes...That is a great point..bring an umbrella..that is a must !!

Mike

Ohh, parasols can be fun

Aug 08 06 08:11 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Kassandra wrote:
So im not much of a heat person, anything past 50 and im ranting and complaining how i cant leave my house nakid and how stupid the law is because of it.

I have a shoot on location this month and *shiver* the heat is SCAWLLLLLDING. So i was wondering if ne one had tips for dealing with the situation^_^

Other than the blatent "put on sunscreen!" im more concerned over how to prevent my makeup from melting and getting visuably sweaty LoL

Shot early, shoot late.....

I live in the north central part of Florida where it's always hotter and colder than the rest of the state due to our location......mid day in July and August no one works outside unless they absolutely have to.......

I recently did a photo shoot outside...but I waited until 4pm.....besides the light is much nicer at that time.

Aug 08 06 08:11 am Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:

Shot early, shoot late.....

I live in the north central part of Florida where it's always hotter and colder than the rest of the state due to our location......mid day in July and August no one works outside unless they absolutely have to.......

I recently did a photo shoot outside...but I waited until 4pm.....besides the light is much nicer at that time.

Yeah early morning normal isnt too bad if you get a breeze but it wil probly be an all day thig from 10 morning and onward *wiggles fingers* Im just a little more worrid about LOOKING uckie, i dun mind ht efeeling bad lol

Aug 08 06 08:13 am Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Have a cooler of icewater to put your feet and wrists into. These are very effective cooling points.  Be careful about putting anything cold on your neck if you are already hot. I've seen people pass out from the shock to your system it produces.

Keep yourself hydrated. Lots of water. A Baskin Robbins Mocha Blast is also effective! wink

Aug 08 06 08:13 am Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

groupw wrote:
Have a cooler of icewater to put your feet and wrists into. These are very effective cooling points.  Be careful about putting anything cold on your neck if you are already hot. I've seen people pass out from the shock to your system it produces.

Keep yourself hydrated. Lots of water. A Baskin Robbins Mocha Blast is also effective! wink

Ohhhh there actualy is a baskin robbins on my way..*plot* I didnt know about hte neck thing . eep! I always used to do that when i got dizzy lol

Aug 08 06 08:14 am Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

To your earlier post--if you "feel" cooler, you will perspire less. Sweat is your body's cooling agent.

Aug 08 06 08:15 am Link

Model

Nola Neko

Webb City, Missouri, US

This heat is wretched. First and foremost...you have to let the photographer know..."hey, I am wearing a lot of foundation so we need to take several small breaks." During these small breaks, dab at your skin lightly with cloth (dont use kleenex or paper towels because they tend to stick to you).. Also...drink plenty of water... A model is not good if she cant stand up or blacks out... This has happened to me before. I am anemic and hyperglycemic though..so if you have ANY medical conditions...avoid the direct sunlight as much as possible.. Play with the shadows and shade in trees and what not. Dont shoot in the sunlight for longer than five minutes at a time..And...as far as sunscreen goes..you are smart enough to know to wear it..but find a mousse or gel that has sunscreen in it as well and try to protect the top of your head..It is the number one place that both absorbs heat and loses heat. But mostly, always have a cloth towel and makeup case nearby. If you can get by without having to wear foundation..then do it..It will save you and the photographer tons of time.

Aug 08 06 08:18 am Link

Photographer

swhnyc

New York, New York, US

Yeah, the heat stops a lot of people without studios from working much during the summer.  It's really lit a fire under my feet to buy some lighting rigs and backdrops and stop being so reliant on the outdoors for everything.  The trick is water, water, water, and something to create a breeze.  You'd be amazed at how tolerable high temperatures can be if there's a little soft circulation going over your skin!  smile  Good luck.

Aug 08 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Kassandra wrote:

Take a cold shower before you split and drink lots of water.

Good luck modeling in that blistering 72 degree heat wave wink

Aug 08 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Bostic Imagery

Fredericktown, Ohio, US

Stay hydrated!  Seek shade!  If your photographer is like I am I carry a cooler of beverages (water, tea, Propel, Gatorade) with me all on ice.  As a photographer, we get hit by the heat also, so I always make sure to bring along enough to suffice for those who will be there.  I did a shoot in Toledo last week with the heat index being 105 that day, we were hot, but hydrated and took breaks to relax or for changes.

Aug 08 06 12:20 pm Link

Model

Manda Mercure

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

i can imagine how uncomfortable that must be. the only time i had to shoot in hot weather and direct sunlight, i was nude and had no make up on.. i would think that having a shaded area, as well as a fan would be sufficient. for dealing with the make up issue, there are these oil absorbing sheets that are great.. they are designed for using even with make up, so they will not remove it.. just remove any oil and sweat.

the one time i was in NYC, it was so swelteringly hot, so i totally sympathise.

Aug 08 06 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

Kassandra wrote:
Darn, no magical tips to prevent ickie sweat?

I’m sure you can find some able body young man with a paper towel to stand by and pat you dry.  smile

Aug 08 06 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Valach

Avondale, Arizona, US

ROFLMAO.. ok, sorry that's the only thing I can think of. I am in Arizona...80, 90 degrees hot? Plezzzzzz, it don't get warm until it hits 105 or more. Then you got a touch of heat.

Ok, yes, AM shooting is good...be done by 9am or 10am, you can start these days around 6am (and no I don't, unless its golf). The late afternoons are better light, you can shoot until 7:30ish these days, and usually its that last 1/2 hour thats the best, so I tend to try to start after 5pm....besides some models that also work can come after work. Water is the key, amazing how hydrating oneself makes you feel so much more comfortable.

Aug 08 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

let's see if we can't find parasols, giant fans, and a ton of ice! i'm sure we could make something fun with all of that. big_smile

Aug 08 06 02:48 pm Link

Model

Sonya Marie

Tucson, Arizona, US

Well I live in quite a hot state If I  must say so myself..they have these little fan thingys in the walgreens, wal-mart, type stores..they even have the kind with mysters..(which may not be good for your hair or make-up) But they are pocket sized and run off batteries so if you can find one make the investment.

Have fun!!!

Aug 08 06 02:59 pm Link

Model

Manda Mercure

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Paul Valach wrote:
ROFLMAO.. ok, sorry that's the only thing I can think of. I am in Arizona...80, 90 degrees hot? Plezzzzzz, it don't get warm until it hits 105 or more. Then you got a touch of heat.

ahh, but how often does arizona get 80% humidity on top of 80 degree heat?

Aug 08 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

StevesPhotography

Mustang, Oklahoma, US

Lots of good tips above, particularly about staying hydrated. One tip I would add is be sure to avoid the popular "energy" drinks. Stuff like Red Bull and such are loaded with stimulants that can cause dehydration.
Gator aid or other sports drinks are great but energy drinks= Stay away!

Aug 08 06 04:21 pm Link

Model

Sarah Deathriage

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I have been shooting in the heat too outdoors. WATER...that's about it. I did a desert shoot Sat and got to wear a cowboy hat that was fun. Kept the sun off my face. Actually when I shoot outdoors I put my hair up between sets too, that helps alot when you have alot of hair.

Aug 08 06 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

photochrisaz

Queen Valley, Arizona, US

Mandy McKeating wrote:

ahh, but how often does arizona get 80% humidity on top of 80 degree heat?

105 or higher and just stay indoors. 85 to 90, at 1 am if we are lucky. as for the humidity, well at least when ya have some there is moisture in the air. in az we just shrivel up and melt away. and humidity or not, deal with just one day at 118 degrees of the arizona inferno blistering away everything under it.
and sarah, we did that shoot on sunday........ and officially it was 106 but yall made it through just fine, just like i told ya ya would..........

Aug 08 06 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Lexi Evans

Levittown, New York, US

for your face they have those blotting wipes that take away the oil and the shine. Those can help..

Aug 08 06 10:31 pm Link

Model

Sarah Deathriage

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Yeah I am ditzy it was Sunday I am still tired wink..I just love models complaining about heat...when I live in the devils ass.

I didn't even mention the shoot I did 4 weeks ago with Daniel in a parking garage. It must have been about 120 degrees I am not joking. I thought I was going to vomit. But hey I live in AZ. I love cold weather too. I am not one of these people who love the desert and that's why I live here. heh

Aug 08 06 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

mmmm good thing your not down here in Texas where its triple degree temps.

I don't think it gets that hot in New York...

Aug 08 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Kassandra wrote:

What, you haven't learned to hold the sweat in? Oh wait, you can't do that...

Your fabulous photographer should know better than to shoot when it's hot....

I promise you, it was 190 in Texas on Saturday....

Aug 08 06 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Send a body double and Photoshop your face in later!!

Heat is bad, I am from Fresno California and will never forget the 116 degree days or the day it was 112 and we had a black out on the West Coast. If my friend had not just filled the tank of his air conditioned Cadillac Eldorado we would all have been killed!!

It doesn't get hot where I live now. Lots of water is good but also eat some salty foods or take a salt tablet, you will sweat out salt and need to replenish. I say find a pool or fountain and just get in, wet chicks are hot!!

Aug 08 06 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I've been shooting on location for years, and my rule of thumb is to shoot early, and shoot late.

I stay out of the midday times (11am - 2pm), and definitely stay out of direct sunlight, as it wreaks havoc on my pictures, not to mention I usually shoot in jeans (unless I'm shooting on the beach), and they aren't comfortable at all.

I usually have water in my SUV, just in case, but haven't really had a need for it until afterwards.

If possible, keep the MUA around, just in case your makeup starts to act up on you. smile

Aug 09 06 04:05 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I shot with Shellee Luna in scorching desert heat, but she had me put on some really odd feeling MAC stuff (probably NOT non-comedogenic, heh) before we went out.  It worked like a charm.  I was fairly sweaty but my face was almost completely shine free for hours.  I don't remember what it was, but you can ask 'er:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=3481

Aug 09 06 02:11 pm Link