Forums > General Industry > General Post on MM (on finding Models)

Photographer

Marek Mezyk

Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, US

This is related to a topic still very active below on finding models on the internet. But for a longer time now I think its getting harder to find modles who want something different in their books. It anoys me when I see a profile of a girl with her cell phone camera seeking paid shoots. For what is she looking to be paid for? The princess instilled ego? Selling what, her attitude? I appologize for being harsh, but hence the recent influx of 'wanna bes'.

I shoot sort of a broad range but I hope that my MM porfolio does show a spark at least of having something to offer. But spending some time looking though MM porfolios in my area (NJ), I send a few 'hellos' and time and again I see tacky images with either cell phone cameras or just really off images that makes the model look... well not to how good she proably does in person. But its the common fever to sell something that just looks plain and cheaply sexy. 

My ultimate goal is to have a pool of people to work with. MM is getting polluted with bored people who 'think it might be fun to be a model'... and its sad. It takes work, vision, patience, cearivity on Model's and Photographer's part. Maybe becuase I don't shoot for profit I tend to have this outlook currently. I hope it changes. Am I alone in this feeling?

-Marek

Aug 07 06 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Yes.. this topic has been beaten on before...

However, it might be your expectations that are letting you down.  Are you thinking "Look at this model's portfolio full of crap, I could help her by offering her a TFCD".  You send an offer message and she says "No I only do paid work" or gives you some other smacktard answer.  Your mindset SHOULD NOT be "You have no idea what I could do for you in terms of upgrading your portfolio".   Your mindset SHOULD be, "Whatever floats your boat.. see ya".  That's it.  Move on.

-PKD

p.s. this is also why when I post on Craig's list that my message includes:  'If you want images to update your MySpace website... I am not the photographer for you.'

Aug 07 06 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Marek Mezyk

I absolutely agree with you. But after a certin amount of time and wanting to shoot some new ideas, and comming on empty becuase of those attitudes, well, I tend to get a little bitter. It will pass though. It is just frustrating sometimes.

-Marek

PK Digital Imaging wrote:
Yes.. this topic has been beaten on before...

However, it might be your expectations that are letting you down.  Are you thinking "Look at this model's portfolio full of crap, I could help her by offering her a TFCD".  You send an offer message and she says "No I only do paid work" or gives you some other smacktard answer.  Your mindset SHOULD NOT be "You have no idea what I could do for you in terms of upgrading your portfolio".   Your mindset SHOULD be, "Whatever floats your boat.. see ya".  That's it.  Move on.

-PKD

p.s. this is also why when I post on Craig's list that my message includes:  'If you want images to update your MySpace website... I am not the photographer for you.'

Aug 07 06 06:34 pm Link

Model

_Tabitha_Rose_

Chicago, Illinois, US

Marek Mezyk wrote:
This is related to a topic still very active below on finding models on the internet. But for a longer time now I think its getting harder to find modles who want something different in their books. It anoys me when I see a profile of a girl with her cell phone camera seeking paid shoots. For what is she looking to be paid for? The princess instilled ego? Selling what, her attitude? I appologize for being harsh, but hence the recent influx of 'wanna bes'.

I shoot sort of a broad range but I hope that my MM porfolio does show a spark at least of having something to offer. But spending some time looking though MM porfolios in my area (NJ), I send a few 'hellos' and time and again I see tacky images with either cell phone cameras or just really off images that makes the model look... well not to how good she proably does in person. But its the common fever to sell something that just looks plain and cheaply sexy. 

My ultimate goal is to have a pool of people to work with. MM is getting polluted with bored people who 'think it might be fun to be a model'... and its sad. It takes work, vision, patience, cearivity on Model's and Photographer's part. Maybe becuase I don't shoot for profit I tend to have this outlook currently. I hope it changes. Am I alone in this feeling?

-Marek

i agree...

the classic digi camara takin from above thier head really gets under my nails..

no you are not alone...

Aug 07 06 06:39 pm Link

Model

Aimee Beaulieu

Seattle, Washington, US

It is hard to come up with good images when you begin. I am currently working on my portfolio, and it only has a few good shots, but MM has been a great place for it. I think a lot of girls are willing to do TFP. I know I am, but a model has to prepare lots - hair, make up, etc... so sometimes it is hard, and most people that have bad portfolios also have a day job... so sometimes that takes precedence. I am not saying I disagree with you at all, hey, I have about 8 TFP coming up, and I super exited to work with the awesome people I will be working with, and hopefully I will learn from them. I hope you have better luck in the future.

Aug 07 06 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Portradamus

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Most of these girls will get bored after a couple of weeks. Even if they get many offers for TFP, the most they can do is upload them to myspace. It takes more than a few pictures to make an impact in this industry. Before they start getting paid they would need to have something beyond good looks to offer.

Now, it is entirely possible that a slew of GWCs will be ready to pay them for posing. What is the harm in that? Neither the model nor the GWC affect me, my work, my target audience or the models I would like to work with. If that rocks their boats, so be it. I am in a different boat anyways.

Aug 07 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Marek Mezyk

_Tabitha_Rose_ wrote:
i agree...

the classic digi camara takin from above thier head really gets under my nails..

no you are not alone...

Thank you Tabitha

-Marek

Aug 07 06 06:49 pm Link

Model

TheArchon

Pemberton, New Jersey, US

A good point is raised here, I think.  When I first chose to actively pursue modeling as something serious, there definitetly WAS a novelty to it.  It was exciting (and still is, to a degree).  The novelty wore off fast, and I think THAT is the point that separates the "wannabes" from the carreer oriented models.  Though there may be an influx of these wannabes...everyone starts somewhere.  Which of the lot are the "gems in the rough"?

I remember when I realized how much work it really is.  I almost gave it up, then and there.  But then I remembered seeing my firts commercial print being used in an ad.  I remembered seeing the eight foot tall effigy of me in an art gallery tagged at $3000 (a really wierd story behind the photo shoot that produced that monstrosity.  Ask me about it, sometime...)

I pushed on.  I've performed for many photographers, and I am only now starting to get into the best of my work.  Has it paid off?  Not in $$. I have a band that keeps me fed, and living comfortably.

What's my point?  I also remember a shot I submitted in a contest long ago...taken with a beat up polaroid, by holding it at arm's length, and hoping to God it got my whole head in the picture.  I won the contest.  I was a wannabe, I'll admit it.  But even a wannabe can graduate to a "can be", and eventually be able to say "I am".
Some people just need a little help, perhaps in the form of that one photographer that thinks to himself.  "this one doesn't have it yet, but maybe...Oh hell, Risk is Fortune's accomplice"

James Dean is what he is because of his photographer.

Aug 07 06 07:41 pm Link

Model

Tiia Secor

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I was lucky enough to have pro images from the start since I began modeling when I was fourteen and trying the traditional route prior to now freelancing.  I think A LOT of new models think it's easy to get paid for they're picture. I can say that my paid jobs are out weighed by those I have done TFP to build my portfolio and to see what genre of modeling I wanted to step into. I doubt these models know this. I can understand your frustration, cause it can give any beginner a bad name. But persistance on both sides pays off... sometimes unexpectedly.

Aug 07 06 10:36 pm Link