Forums > General Industry > any photogs ever work for lifetouch national?

Photographer

seekphotography

Anaheim, California, US

http://www.lifetouch.com/

just went to an orientation for the company to shoot K-8th grade portraits of kids .. seems like a decent company ..

any horror stories or things i should be wary of with the company?

Aug 07 06 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

There are no real "horror stories" about working for Lifetouch except that they may not deliver as many paid working days as they lead you to believe, and they sometimes expect you to keep yourself available without guarantee of work.  Bottom line: don't expect to make the money they say you'll make, and be aware that their employee turnover is very high.

Aug 07 06 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

seekphotography

Anaheim, California, US

phcorcoran wrote:
There are no real "horror stories" about working for Lifetouch except that they may not deliver as many paid working days as they lead you to believe, and they sometimes expect you to keep yourself available without guarantee of work.  Bottom line: don't expect to make the money they say you'll make, and be aware that their employee turnover is very high.

exactly what i was looking for .. thank you.

Aug 07 06 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Sharon Gutowski

St Louis, Saskatchewan, Canada

I interviewed with lifetouch.  They are really not photographers in that they learn one really basic lighting set up, not any real technical information.  But they will train anyone.  The working conditions are what made me turn down the job.  They asked me if I could leave my home at 4am and not get home until 6 or 7pm (so I could travel further to other schools.)  The answer was not for what there were offering to pay which was only about $7 an hour.  You get the same pay for less agrivation and wear and tear on your car and time away from your home.

Aug 07 06 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

UIPHOTOS

Dayton, Ohio, US

i was going to say the same thing and the REGIONS they expect you to cover requires A LOT of driving.. so hopefully you have an economy car.. One of the girls at my gym shoots for them and she covers the TRI STATE area.. so it isnt just your local schools, and may be the whole state or adjoining states..

Aug 07 06 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Sharon Gutowski wrote:
I interviewed with lifetouch.  They are really not photographers in that they learn one really basic lighting set up, not any real technical information.

When I worked for Lifetouch they had you roll out a rubber mat, and on the mat it showed exactly where to place the backdrop, the lights, the camera, etc.  There was more paperwork than picture taking.

But that is exactly the way most professional photography works: you are hired for what you can do consistently, and there is almost always more paperwork than picture taking.

It is true that I forgot to mention in my earlier response that Lifetouch jobs involve early hours, long days and lots of driving.

The important thing to remember about jobs like Lifetouch, Petco and many other dreary national companies I've worked for is that you do learn things about photography that are not explained in books, and you keep some money coming in while working as a photographer.  The alternative is often to quit photography altogether. 

A job with Lifetouch can give you a start, or let you say to yourself: "Well I'll take the Lifetouch job and give photography one more year as a career."  When Christmas comes around again and your family asks if you're still a photographer at least you'll be able to honestly say yes.

Aug 07 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

seekphotography

Anaheim, California, US

i'm a single kid who enjoys driving and doesn't mind the early/long hours .. during the orientation they explained that it's seasonal and you get 6 weeks off from dec-feb. and you can apply for unemployment which edd will pass with no hassles .. or you can work at one of the portrait studios they have around .. they start off at $10/hour which isn't great but it's not minimum wage .. raises dependent on the performance/initiative of the employee, $.25/mile reimbursement ..medical/dental after 90 days ...

i'm really just starting off in photography and enjoy it so this seems alright for the experience/contacts i'll gain ... i'll give it a shot and see how it goes ... haha.

Aug 07 06 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Seek Photography wrote:
i'm a single kid who enjoys driving and doesn't mind the early/long hours

The job sounds right for you then.  Anyway it won't hurt you to try it.

Seek Photography wrote:
.. or you can work at one of the portrait studios they have around

Take all promises with a large grain of salt.

But portrait studio work is great for a beginner because little freelance jobs fall into your hands that way: weddings, sweet sixteen parties, etc.

Seek Photography wrote:
during the orientation they explained that it's seasonal and you get 6 weeks off from dec-feb

Did I mention the high turnover?  The average Lifetouch photographer in my area lasts six weeks.

Seek Photography wrote:
i'll give it a shot and see how it goes

Enjoy it!  If you sincerely try to enjoy it, then you will!

Aug 07 06 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Please, do help them with a better product, then.

They do the pictures at my kids' school, and they consistently suck, year after year. Newbie errors with lighting, posing, and composition - as in cutting off body parts or getting the edge of the backdrop in the frame.

If I didn't think it would be bad for the school, I'd have a "talk" with the "photographers" they send out. But as it is, I let them do their thing and they don't get my money. I shoot my kids myself.

Aug 07 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

seekphotography

Anaheim, California, US

phcorcoran wrote:

Seek Photography wrote:
i'm a single kid who enjoys driving and doesn't mind the early/long hours

The job sounds right for you then.  Anyway it won't hurt you to try it.

Seek Photography wrote:
.. or you can work at one of the portrait studios they have around

Take all promises with a large grain of salt.

But portrait studio work is great for a beginner because little freelance jobs fall into your hands that way: weddings, sweet sixteen parties, etc.

Seek Photography wrote:
during the orientation they explained that it's seasonal and you get 6 weeks off from dec-feb

Did I mention the high turnover?  The average Lifetouch photographer in my area lasts six weeks.

Enjoy it!  If you sincerely try to enjoy it, then you will!

thanks for the tips/info .. very much appreciated.

chris.

Aug 07 06 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

seekphotography

Anaheim, California, US

Christopher Ambler wrote:
Please, do help them with a better product, then.

They do the pictures at my kids' school, and they consistently suck, year after year. Newbie errors with lighting, posing, and composition - as in cutting off body parts or getting the edge of the backdrop in the frame.

If I didn't think it would be bad for the school, I'd have a "talk" with the "photographers" they send out. But as it is, I let them do their thing and they don't get my money. I shoot my kids myself.

as every photographer on here should be already doing wink

will definitely do my best to create images, instead of just snapshots if i get the position.

chris.

Aug 07 06 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Klassic Photo

Bullhead City, Arizona, US

Way back when I interviewed with Lifetouch and accepted a job with a competitor of theirs.  I hated it.   Shoot n scoot  mass production photography.  I also had several friends at Life touch and hteir experiences were the same.  Similar to as described above.   Some of them use Camlynx workflow with a laptop   as I did.  I found the whole experince very unrewarding.  Once in a while you would get a really cute kid that made your day or a very helpful teacher, but that was rare.

Most of the teachers looked upon you as an intrusion to their busy schedule that could otherwise have been put to more productive use.  Most of the kids don;t want to be shot, the girls gigle and break the pose, the boys make it a contest not to smile or cooperate  ("here is an adult with no direct authority over us... let's bust his chops")   

Rush rush rush on the setup, rush to cram the kids through  teachers bring them late and are disorganized   Too much paperwork

For the most part it was a zoo

But if you like it,    good on ya mate

One of my close friends is in the church div of Life Touch as a trainer and he says it is much different.

Just my two cents

Aug 07 06 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Davide

Ferndale, California, US

Hav to say my time with them was very different in NJ. True a lot of paperwork, but if on a large assignment, we had help to cover the paper work. Another good thing was we got salary pay plus overtime. The guys i worked with were great and the Xmas party the boss threw was fantastic. I guess it all depends on the location.
Davide

Aug 08 06 03:59 am Link