Forums > General Industry > the term "Chimping"??

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

KMPHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

That sounds like a REALLY good idea!

They don't pay me for my good looks.

Aug 07 06 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Aug 07 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

I tape a mirror over the LCD so when I chimp, the photo is GORGEOUS!

hahahahahaha

smile

Aug 07 06 07:37 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

UIPHOTOS wrote:
I had never heard that term before and I got a chuckle from it..

Me too.  I looked at the title and just assumed it'd be a race-related thread about some asshole calling a Black person a chimp or something, but I'm glad that isn't the case.  Anyway, I think it was pretty snobbish for that photographer to talk to you like that.  You were just trying to take a look at your shots...should've told him to fuck off.

Aug 07 06 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I make use of my display screen, and I get mocked for it all the time.  I also am unashamed to call myself an amateur, and a beginning amateur at that.  I'm not interested in claiming to be anything I'm not, and I don't hesitate to ask all sorts of questions, most of them basic and to some people, dumb. 

Because of these things, photographers look down their noses at me constantly, and often speak to me in outrageously condescending ways.  That's okay.  While they're busy feeling better about themselves by treating me like I'm developmentally disabled, I'm suckin' up all kinds of learning that they don't think I'm capable of.  All that matters to me is learning and getting better.  If that means I let some pompous guy underestimate me from time to time, I'm alright with that.

Don't let it worry you; photographers are a notoriously egomaniacal group.  If you're getting the kinds of shots you want, who cares if you make use of a perfectly valid tool that comes with your camera?

Aug 07 06 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

Maybe I'm missing a point, but I am not sure why all the fuss over what other people think of one's art or the manner of capturing/creating it?

Aug 07 06 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

PapaVic Photography wrote:
Maybe I'm missing a point, but I am not sure why all the fuss over what other people think of one's art or the manner of capturing/creating it?

ELBOWS IN!

wink

Aug 07 06 08:27 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

If some assnut ever told me that I was "chimping" I would simply tell them to visit my website and to either do better or fuck off or both. Probably both. I check the histogram from time to time or the composure of a shot and I gotta say, i've never been told that I was chimping. I pity the fool who ever says that to me.

As to the OP, I think I would've given the kind gentleman the long finger in the middle and told him to "chimp this".

Aug 07 06 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Johnson Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Joe Holotik wrote:

I was paraphrasing...... he said something along the lines of "some hack schmuck with a camera"

here's what happened:

Me:(i took a picture of the lighting setup and check my screen)

Ol' Pro:  hey, quit chimping (walks towards me)

Me:  what? (i looked around thinking he wasn't talking to me)

Ol' pro:  you're chimping.  it's showing your true colors! (insert shallow laugh)

me:  chimping? with my camera?

Ol' pro: chimping, when you look at your little screen after each shot cuz you can't trust your eye....

me:  oh (wow.... what a dick)

Ol' pro: yeah, you look like some hack schmuck with a camera and no knowledge of how to use it (begins to fiddle with his 7 cameras around his neck)

me: ok, got it! thanks! (what a HUGE asshole.........)

Ol' pro:  don't worry... and remeber that during the second song i'll be in your area so watch for me!

me: no problem.... *cough* douche bag *cough*

thats about it too smile

Aug 07 06 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Johnson Studios

Joe Holotik wrote:

I was paraphrasing...... he said something along the lines of "some hack schmuck with a camera"

here's what happened:

Me:(i took a picture of the lighting setup and check my screen)

Ol' Pro:  hey, quit chimping (walks towards me)

Me:  what? (i looked around thinking he wasn't talking to me)

Ol' pro:  you're chimping.  it's showing your true colors! (insert shallow laugh)

me:  chimping? with my camera?

Ol' pro: chimping, when you look at your little screen after each shot cuz you can't trust your eye....

me:  oh (wow.... what a dick)

Ol' pro: yeah, you look like some hack schmuck with a camera and no knowledge of how to use it (begins to fiddle with his 7 cameras around his neck)

me: ok, got it! thanks! (what a HUGE asshole.........)

Ol' pro:  don't worry... and remeber that during the second song i'll be in your area so watch for me!

me: no problem.... *cough* douche bag *cough*

thats about it too smile

Aug 07 06 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Johnson Studios

Pat Johnson Studios wrote:
I am Old Pro..I have shot more concerts than that clown could dream of. If he had the balls to tell me to watch out for him, I would have said dont even consider getting in my line of sight MF. Trust me, he would have bad vibed me but he wouldnt have. No REAL rock dog photographer would try to treat the other shooters like crap. Only a chump acts like a chump. In the pit get your shots with respect to the others (pro or not)
What is GWC?
Pat

Aug 07 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Seven cameras around his neck?!? And your the hack shmuck??!! BLAAHAAAhahaaha. My god you gotta let me know when your gonna do this again so I can be there. Oh how I would have relished the opportunity!! There's not much that gets me fired up...but I think I would have shoved about 6 outta the 7 up his ass before I was done with him.

Aug 07 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

David Birdsong

Pontiac, Michigan, US

studio36uk wrote:

Thats great... the ULTIMATE in chimping. LOL

Studio36

It sure saves a lot of time with the model to show her (or him) what they are doing right or wrong without having to put them on the computer to do so.

But you just have to make sure you don't  trust your exposures and colors to it, they will be off.

Aug 07 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Michael Kirst wrote:
If some assnut ever told me that I was "chimping"...........

"Assnut" lol!

https://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/9605/13/hw.min/beavis.large.jpg

Aug 07 06 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I would have just directed the idiot over to the sound guys to tell them there is no need for the audio technician to take a sound check before the show, at least if they want to be considered professional. Also no need to monitor the sound levels during the show, because a professional should just set them correctly at the outset.

Oh I forgot, light waves are so much simpler than sound waves.

(Chimping as oohing and aahhhing over your shots wasn't at issue in the OP.)

Aug 07 06 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Brado in LA

Perhaps someone has already pointed this out. It seems like the amount of money these digital cameras cost, pretty much earns it's owner the right to handle it any dang way they see fit.

I'm STILL paying for this 1dsMkII and i'd shoot standing on my head if I thought I could get a better shot. (Hey you know that just might help).

Aug 08 06 07:43 am Link