Forums > General Industry > Closing studio. Taking a long needed break.

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I have come to realize that this business is killing me, literally.

The hi-stress levels, all the unreliable models with ne no call no shows, excuses, always late, and the models who wanted to take advantage, try to get over, or try to get stuff for free, or more than what was agreed on or paid for....just isn't worth it any more.

To: The models that did work well with me, and upheld your end of the agreements and releases, and made your payments in a timely fashion, thank you.

To: Model Mayhem for allowing me to network with many people, Thank you.

I bid everyone a fond fairwell. Best wishes in your future endevours, and the best of luck and prosperity.

Sincerely,

Michael Malchow - Owner
Malchow Photography

Aug 07 06 12:49 am Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

best of luck...
and yes at times it can be really stressful,
but I chop that up to life.
Love living a Low stress, drama free life lol

Aug 07 06 02:55 am Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

There's a lot more to photography than just models.  You could always shoot kids, seniors, weddings, not to mention commercial.

Paul

Aug 07 06 07:12 am Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:
There's a lot more to photography than just models.  You could always shoot kids, seniors, weddings, not to mention commercial.

Paul

Yeah, weddings!  Thats a cure for stress.  LOL.

Aug 07 06 07:21 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Are you selling all your gear ?

Aug 07 06 07:23 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

dncphotos wrote:
best of luck...
and yes at times it can be really stressful,
but I chop that up to life.
Love living a Low stress, drama free life lol

Yes, I will chaulk it up to experience.
Going to get a real job, and maybe go back to school.
I will certainly try to live....

Thank you.

Aug 07 06 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Paul Ferrara wrote:

Paul

Yep. I've done all that too. Families, kids, school pictures... just not lucrative here.

And weddings... no thanks.

Aug 07 06 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Eric S. wrote:

Sorry, but no. I'm going to hold on to it for a while yet. I still love being a photographer and taking pictures. Who knows... maybe I'll find another genre, or venue to work with/out of.

Aug 07 06 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Getting out of the business for a while. Going back to school, getting a real job (yuck) to make ends meet.

Aug 07 06 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Aug 07 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

bob cooley

New York, New York, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:

Paul

Or avoid people altogether.  I like to take breaks to shoot Architecture, and occasionally nature (when I can get out of the city)...

It's just you, the camera, and your vision.

Aug 07 06 03:49 pm Link

Model

Tiia Secor

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I don't know you, but I wish you the best of luck and I hope what your looking for to bring you happiness.

Aug 07 06 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

bob cooley wrote:

Or avoid people altogether.  I like to take breaks to shoot Architecture, and occasionally nature (when I can get out of the city)...

It's just you, the camera, and your vision.

Thank you.

Aug 08 06 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Tiia Something wrote:
I don't know you, but I wish you the best of luck and I hope what your looking for to bring you happiness.

I left you a message.

Thank you.

Aug 08 06 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Do you still have an interest in photography, just not of people?

As the saying goes, even John Lennon had to get away from making music for 7 years(?) in order for him to love it again.

Aug 08 06 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Some one explain to me this guy's business model. Where are all these unreliable models coming from and how are they impacting his business? Is he shooting people that want to be models and expecting pay for that service? Is this the problem I hear on this site ad nauseam or is it something else. In the year that I have been working with online models, I've had to cancel on them way more than they cancel on me. I've had one model become a no show and that was for an open casting for which they weren't being paid. What's the deal?

Aug 08 06 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Farenell Photography wrote:
Do you still have an interest in photography, just not of people?

As the saying goes, even John Lennon had to get away from making music for 7 years(?) in order for him to love it again.

Yes, I still have an avid interest in photography, just haven't been feeling inspired as of late.

I just need to take a break and get resituated again. Do a little soul searching, and find my inspiration once again.

Aug 08 06 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Bob Randall Photography wrote:
Some one explain to me this guy's business model. Where are all these unreliable models coming from and how are they impacting his business? Is he shooting people that want to be models and expecting pay for that service? Is this the problem I hear on this site ad nauseam or is it something else. In the year that I have been working with online models, I've had to cancel on them way more than they cancel on me. I've had one model become a no show and that was for an open casting for which they weren't being paid. What's the deal?

Mr. Randall,

Rather than having someone else explain it to you, why not ask me directly.

Aug 08 06 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

john hill

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Models need to pay photographers for portfolio development. PERIOD!!!  jh

Aug 08 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Malchow Photography wrote:

Mr. Randall,

Rather than having someone else explain it to you, why not ask me directly.

OK, explain it to me.

Aug 08 06 05:32 pm Link

Model

Leftpinkytoe

Portland, Oregon, US

Sorry to hear that you are hanging it up for a while... it does sound like you need a break, though. I know I get tapped out and burnt out on the whole business of being creative as a designer--especially when it comes to producing on demand--and sometimes you just need to take a step back and breathe for a while.

*Definitely* glad you aren't selling your gear, though! Just have fun with your photography for a while, and only do it when you feel like it, and see how it goes.

Either way, I hope you find what you're looking for out there! smile

Aug 08 06 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

john hill wrote:
Models need to pay photographers for portfolio development. PERIOD!!!  jh

My thoughts exactly. Even with signed agreements and releases they still don't want to pay. I need better, reliable, professional, goal oriented clientel.

Aug 10 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

SarahG wrote:
Sorry to hear that you are hanging it up for a while... it does sound like you need a break, though. I know I get tapped out and burnt out on the whole business of being creative as a designer--especially when it comes to producing on demand--and sometimes you just need to take a step back and breathe for a while.

*Definitely* glad you aren't selling your gear, though! Just have fun with your photography for a while, and only do it when you feel like it, and see how it goes.

Either way, I hope you find what you're looking for out there! smile

Thank you SarahG

Aug 11 06 01:13 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Bob Randall Photography wrote:

OK, explain it to me.

I'll send you a private message when I have the time.

Aug 11 06 01:15 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Eric S. wrote:

Sorry, but no, I will not be selling any of my gear... but I do have some 20"x30" prints for sale.

They are on my page here.

If anyone is intersted, let me know.

Aug 11 06 01:18 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Aug 12 06 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

bear_mkt

Paramus, New Jersey, US

Good luck. The time off will do you a world of good. I'm doing a sabbatical from my long time real job (not photography) and enjoying exploring other areas.

Aug 12 06 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

Well good luck, it's a good man that knows his limitations. I think about walking away all the time, but never goes beyond the thought process. If I walked away from the thing I love the most in the world it would be like putting a bullet in my head. I know myself well enough to know that if I didn't have a creative outlet for this pent up angst, then I would find some more destructive outlet for it.

P.S. your black & white nudes rock!

Aug 12 06 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

bear_mkt wrote:
Good luck. The time off will do you a world of good. I'm doing a sabbatical from my long time real job (not photography) and enjoying exploring other areas.

Thank you.

Aug 12 06 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Dean Solo wrote:
Well good luck, it's a good man that knows his limitations. I think about walking away all the time, but never goes beyond the thought process. If I walked away from the thing I love the most in the world it would be like putting a bullet in my head. I know myself well enough to know that if I didn't have a creative outlet for this pent up angst, then I would find some more destructive outlet for it.

P.S. your black & white nudes rock!

Thank you.

I have to step up my game a bit... My work is too commercial, plain... boring.
I'm going back to school, getting a real job (or two) for a while and investing in an education, more and better equipment, and props.

When I get back into the biz, I'm comming correct.

And thank you for the compliments on my nudes.

By-the-way, if you want to purchase one, I have prints for sale!!!

Aug 13 06 01:36 am Link

Photographer

Renee Jacobs

Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon, France

I bid everyone a fond fairwell. Best wishes in your future endevours, and the best of luck and prosperity.

Sorry to hear it. I'm just now returning to this profession I gave up more than 15 years ago...to be a lawyer. After 15 years of the stresses of being a lawyer, this is a delight. As I say, the worst day with a camera in my hands beats the best day being a lawyer. I hope you find your path. I hope it finds you. I hope you come back to doing photography-- which you're obviously talented at --with love, hope and passion.

Aug 13 06 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Renee Photography wrote:
Sorry to hear it. I'm just now returning to this profession I gave up more than 15 years ago...to be a lawyer. After 15 years of the stresses of being a lawyer, this is a delight. As I say, the worst day with a camera in my hands beats the best day being a lawyer. I hope you find your path. I hope it finds you. I hope you come back to doing photography-- which you're obviously talented at --with love, hope and passion.

Thank you. I am taking a break to improve my skills, I do not feel that I am quiet good enough, yet, for main stream.

However I do sincerely appreciate the compliments.

I will be returning when I feel I am ready. I am only taking a hiatus.

Thank you again for the thoughts, and wishes.

Aug 13 06 01:57 am Link

Photographer

TEKNOIMAGEZ

Rochester, New York, US

my sincerest luck to you !

Aug 13 06 02:00 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Techno Images wrote:
my sincerest luck to you !

And my most sincere thanks to you.

I'll be back.

Aug 13 06 02:02 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Aug 16 06 01:29 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Back already?

Aug 16 06 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Brian Diaz wrote:
Back already?

Hey Brian, no not yet, just passing through, checking messages, and whatnot...

I haven't actually started my hiatus, as of yet.

But thank you for checking....

Aug 16 06 01:45 am Link

Photographer

Tiffany Alonzo

I have come to realize that this business is killing me, literally.

The hi-stress levels, all the unreliable models with ne no call no shows, excuses, always late, and the models who wanted to take advantage, try to get over, or try to get stuff for free, or more than what was agreed on or paid for....just isn't worth it any more.

To: The models that did work well with me, and upheld your end of the agreements and releases, and made your payments in a timely fashion, thank you.

To: Model Mayhem for allowing me to network with many people, Thank you.

Sincerely,

Michael Malchow - Owner
Malchow Photography

Sorry to hear that sad
I felt the same way about modeling.. I took a break from that and I've focused on photography. Good luck to you and I hope you find something to refresh you.

Aug 16 06 02:40 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Tiffany Alonzo wrote:

Sorry to hear that sad
I felt the same way about modeling.. I took a break from that and I've focused on photography. Good luck to you and I hope you find something to refresh you.

Thank you, Tiffany

Aug 20 06 02:44 am Link

Photographer

Malchow Photography

Bump!

Aug 22 06 04:39 am Link