Forums > General Industry > Men's Mag Glamour

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

What makes it?  Who determines what it is? 

Is not sexy sexy??  If a group of men can look at a picture of a woman and "want" her. . .is that not enough??  What the hell does it take people????????

Let's take me for example (ouch. . .putting my own head on the chopping block here. . .this could get ugly). . .
Is it because I'm fat that it is automatically assumed that I can't sell 1000+ men's magazines??  But the majority of men that meet me in person, and in picture, can agree and attest to my sex appeal.  So what's missing that rules me out as "men's magazine" sexy??

Thoughts. . .bring it on!

Aug 06 06 11:52 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

HUNI
THEY AIN'T LOOKING FOR ''real'' SEX APPEAL!!!
;-)
iTS JUST SOME STUPID GENRE
don't stress If U R NOT THAT

Aug 07 06 12:23 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Oh babe I'm not stressed!  Just tryin to understand the method behind the madness.

Aug 07 06 12:25 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
What makes it?  Who determines what it is? 

Is not sexy sexy??  If a group of men can look at a picture of a woman and "want" her. . .is that not enough??  What the hell does it take people????????

Let's take me for example (ouch. . .putting my own head on the chopping block here. . .this could get ugly). . .
Is it because I'm fat that it is automatically assumed that I can't sell 1000+ men's magazines??  But the majority of men that meet me in person, and in picture, can agree and attest to my sex appeal.  So what's missing that rules me out as "men's magazine" sexy??

Thoughts. . .bring it on!

Well....right off the bat.....you're not fat!.....I'm fat..LOL.....you are full fugured and really sexy.....

But sorry to say....men's magazine seem to want only the "fit", "toned" and "buff"....seems like it's almost a fanatical ideal the average woman could only achieve by living in a gym.....and actually the few published models I've ever met did just that....none had a "job" it seemed....a couple were Hooter girls....or worked part-time....their main goal was working out....but what they all did have in common were well to do boyfriends....mostly older and in some cases, married....

Not to sound discouraging.....there are more specialized magazine out there that you might check out....but overall the market is limited....

Aug 07 06 08:49 am Link

Photographer

David Linke

Woodville, Ohio, US

Jayne,

I have had an opportunity to work with some of the people involved in the decision making process of who is used for the magazines, and who is not.  Each publication has a concept of what their ideal pictorial girl will look like.  Finding some one who can fill that ideal is almost a mathematical equation.  In the end you either equal the standard or you don't.  And it doesnt seem like there is a hole lot of room for any variables.

Aug 07 06 08:55 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

David Linke wrote:
. . .Each publication has a concept of what their ideal pictorial girl will look like.  Finding some one who can fill that ideal is almost a mathematical equation. . . .

Something like  Blonde + fake gigantic boobs + Caucasian = hot???

Aug 07 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

PunkHeart

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

Something like  Blonde + fake gigantic boobs + Caucasian = hot???

Aug 07 06 11:26 am Link

Photographer

PunkHeart

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Sorry about the double post....I'm sitting here bored out of my mind waiting for this shoot to start in Cincinnati...
Anyhow...Yep!
I work mainly in the hair and beauty market, but publishers have a strict code about what they consider to be effective models that will SELL their publication...If the model does not fit their equation, she's out. BUT if she is a celebrity, it does not matter.

Aug 07 06 11:31 am Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

San Francisco, California, US

sex appeal in person is different than sex appeal in a magazine.  In a magazine it's all eye-candy.   My guess is most men don't honestly think they could "get" a woman like that.  But for a minute they have her all to themself, at least until the pages get too sticky.  Then the new subscription arrives and the cycle starts anew.  It's a non-commital one-way relationship. 

In real life guys "settle" for a woman who is attractive to them.  This is more than physical looks (believe it or not) and includes character traits and common interests.  Magazines aren't real life, and men don't have to deal with a diva attitude or a high maintenance woman.  they just get to observe.

Aug 07 06 11:39 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Who said you aren't sexy?  Actually, I think you have a beautiful face.  If you were closer, I would be happy to work with you.

Anna Nicole Smith was not petite.  I'm not sure you would make Playboy, but don't denegrade yourself.  You have an appealing look.

Aug 07 06 03:06 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

It seems that men's magazines have some very specific things the reader's want. Even though everyone isn't thin in the magazines, the sex appeal of the woman stems mostly from her body and secondarily her face. There's no forgiveness on body.Look at the fuller figured women who have been considered sex symbols Marilyn, Anna Nicole, and for black mags Buffie, Esther Baxter,  Melyssa Ford. The key seems to be the waistline. You cannot have anything they have to spend many hours trying to photoshop out.

As another poster stated, men do seem to settle for women they find attractive. Just because some guy on the street thinks you're sexy doesn't mean he wants to  actually see your body almost naked in a mag.He may date a lady like Monique, but really have a stronger attraction for  Beyonce, he just can't get her. Those magazines really seem to require the model to evoke an animalistic reaction from the readers.

People only want to see reality if they are forced. In female terms, you might date a man that looks like Rueben Studdard, but that's really only cause Tyson Beckford isn't around.

Aug 07 06 04:41 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
Who said you aren't sexy?  Actually, I think you have a beautiful face.  If you were closer, I would be happy to work with you.

Anna Nicole Smith was not petite.  I'm not sure you would make Playboy, but don't denegrade yourself.  You have an appealing look.

Thanks for the compliments.  I KNOW I'm sexy. . .the discussion is why MY sexy isn't "marketable."  But yeah. . .nor was Marilyn Monroe.

Aug 07 06 07:17 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

dee740 wrote:
It seems that men's magazines have some very specific things the reader's want. Even though everyone isn't thin in the magazines, the sex appeal of the woman stems mostly from her body and secondarily her face. There's no forgiveness on body.Look at the fuller figured women who have been considered sex symbols Marilyn, Anna Nicole, and for black mags Buffie, Esther Baxter,  Melyssa Ford. The key seems to be the waistline. You cannot have anything they have to spend many hours trying to photoshop out.

As another poster stated, men do seem to settle for women they find attractive. Just because some guy on the street thinks you're sexy doesn't mean he wants to  actually see your body almost naked in a mag.He may date a lady like Monique, but really have a stronger attraction for  Beyonce, he just can't get her. Those magazines really seem to require the model to evoke an animalistic reaction from the readers.

People only want to see reality if they are forced. In female terms, you might date a man that looks like Rueben Studdard, but that's really only cause Tyson Beckford isn't around.

I don't understand this concept of "settling" for women you find attractive.  Either you're attracted to someone or you aren't.  Most people are attracted to the same things in person as they are in print. . . or at least it would seem to me.

Just sayin. . .why is everything so based on size?  I have boobs.  A relatively small waist and thighs that make most weak in the knees. . .but all of a sudden it's not "sexy" enough??  Does not compute.

Aug 07 06 07:21 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
I don't understand this concept of "settling" for women you find attractive.  Either you're attracted to someone or you aren't.  Most people are attracted to the same things in person as they are in print. . . or at least it would seem to me.

Just sayin. . .why is everything so based on size?  I have boobs.  A relatively small waist and thighs that make most weak in the knees. . .but all of a sudden it's not "sexy" enough??  Does not compute.

The larger you are, the more things get out of order. It's just generally true. As far as people being attracted to the same thing in person/print I don't know. People make exceptions in real life that they don't have to make in a print magazine. They want fantasy, perfection, not scars, cellulite, stretch marks, etc. There are just different levels of attraction, different levels of sexy. For men's mags they are looking for what the readers want to pay for. For white mags, toned abs, big breasts, blonds,minimally pretty  faces ,etc. For black magazines shapely ass, flat stomachs, minimally pretty faces.Not relatively small waist. Small waist completely flat stomach. No rolls.The goal is to have people look in the mag and say "damn!! she's fine as hell! I wish my girl looked just like her"They are not looking for bodies you see everyday. They are looking for completely unattainable.

Aug 07 06 08:02 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

dee740 wrote:
The larger you are, the more things get out of order. It's just generally true. As far as people being attracted to the same thing in person/print I don't know. People make exceptions in real life that they don't have to make in a print magazine. They want fantasy, perfection, not scars, cellulite, stretch marks, etc. There are just different levels of attraction, different levels of sexy. For men's mags they are looking for what the readers want to pay for. For white mags, toned abs, big breasts, blonds,minimally pretty  faces ,etc. For black magazines shapely ass, flat stomachs, minimally pretty faces.Not relatively small waist. Small waist completely flat stomach. No rolls.The goal is to have people look in the mag and say "damn!! she's fine as hell! I wish my girl looked just like her"They are not looking for bodies you see everyday. They are looking for completely unattainable.

Thanks for clearing that up Dee.  Really appreciate it.

Aug 07 06 08:06 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Maybe I'll just stick to art where Im appreciated. . .maybe.  Or. . .when it happens, I'll gladly collect $10 from each one of you that said it would never happen.

And pigs could fly.

Aug 07 06 08:08 pm Link

Clothing Designer

L Edgar Duff

Chicago, Illinois, US

My dear sista,

You are beautiful and in your own skin I celebrate you.  It's a cheesy market.  By the time they Photoshopped you to death, your momma wouldn't even recognize you.  They are looking to appeal to what they call a mass market.  Beer guzzling white men that oogle over the implant-laiden objectified model.  You are better off not going down that path and if you must there is a genre of those targeted to black and hispanic men.  We are not mad at curves and embrace real size women.  Don;t let anyone make you feel less than sexy.  A real man cannot determine true sex appeal from a photograph anyway.  Blaze your trail and claim your spot!

Peace and Blessings,

L.

Aug 07 06 08:12 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

LL2 wrote:
My dear sista,

You are beautiful and in your own skin I celebrate you.  It's a cheesy market.  By the time they Photoshopped you to death, your momma wouldn't even recognize you.  They are looking to appeal to what they call a mass market.  Beer guzzling white men that oogle over the implant-laiden objectified model.  You are better off not going down that path and if you must there is a genre of those targeted to black and hispanic men.  We are not mad at curves and embrace real size women.  Don;t let anyone make you feel less than sexy.  A real man cannot determine true sex appeal from a photograph anyway.  Blaze your trail and claim your spot!

Peace and Blessings,

L.

Ok.  I don't feel I need hours upon hours of photoshop.  Not at all.  It's called clever wardrobe and posing.  Modeling fundamentals.

And I'm not allowing anyone here or there to steal how I perceive myself.  I've said time and time again I'm sexy as hell. . .and I dare. . .double dog dare anyone to say different.  Most actually agree.  I doubt they're being kind.

I just posed a question b/c quite frankly dammit I'm tired of shooting TFP.  I'd like a paid assignment or two and I don't feel like I should be made to feel out of line when a casting call is posted for a "sexy" model and I respond.  That's all I'm sayin.

Aug 07 06 08:24 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

Ok.  I don't feel I need hours upon hours of photoshop.  Not at all.  It's called clever wardrobe and posing.  Modeling fundamentals.

And I'm not allowing anyone here or there to steal how I perceive myself.  I've said time and time again I'm sexy as hell. . .and I dare. . .double dog dare anyone to say different.  Most actually agree.  I doubt they're being kind.

I just posed a question b/c quite frankly dammit I'm tired of shooting TFP.  I'd like a paid assignment or two and I don't feel like I should be made to feel out of line when a casting call is posted for a "sexy" model and I respond.  That's all I'm sayin.

who has been making you feel out of line?

Aug 07 06 08:36 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

dee740 wrote:
who has been making you feel out of line?

Let's not even go there.  I'll just say. . .just like photogs complain that models never answer emails. . .ditto baby.

But it's all good.  I have a fairy in my pocket.  *wink*

Aug 07 06 08:40 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

Let's not even go there.  I'll just say. . .just like photogs complain that models never answer emails. . .ditto baby.

But it's all good.  I have a fairy in my pocket.  *wink*

Oh I didn't expect you to name drop.. I just wanted to know where this was coming from or if anybody had actually told you that you should feel out of line.

Aug 07 06 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

You know.. LL2 hit it directly on the head and you just glanced right over it.

Yes, you can be sexy no matter what your size/shape/color/home planet you're from.

However, a magazine needs to make sales.  Those sales are directed at a certain demographic.  You REALLY didn't have to bring race into the situation with the mathematical formula idea that was presented.  FHM/Maxim/Playboy et al have published models of all races.

You are a larger model... not huge... but you're not the stereotypical glamour model either.  You can complain about what stereotypical is, but at the same time, sterotypical SELLS magazines.  A magazine is going to target the biggest market possible.  Not the niche markets where you would fall into.  Read that carefully... niche doesn't mean non-existant, it means smaller than the 'mainstream'.

You mentioned that creative clothing would help the situation.  True.. in some cases to help complement the model in question.  However, in glamour, there's not a lot of clothing to work with to start off.  How are you supposed to use a bikini "creatively" to compliment a larger body style?  I've looked at your port and while you're a beautiful woman, you're not posting images that are portraying what you're talking about here.

I know I'm coming across as an @ss and I have to deal with that but at the same time I know marketing.  Marketing is something you're going to have to come to grips with before you think there's something wrong with you personally.

I also know that I'm going to take a lot of heat for saying this stuff but it's the truth.  And the truth hurts at times.  Be the better person and just try and take the words for what they are.  A step back and a look at the entire picture.

-PKD

Aug 07 06 09:25 pm Link

Model

LaViolette

Hollywood, Florida, US

I know how you feel. I'm 5'3 and wear a size 7 and I feel so out of the norm when I look at other model's portfolios and see 5'7 and 115 lbs. Don't get discouraged; since you are pretty I bet you could make some money modeling hair and make-up products. While to a certain extent I do see why men's magazines want women to look "fit", I do sometimes wonder whatever happened to women looking like women? Whatever happened to having hips, thighs, and a butt? A lot of celebrities and models in men's mags have stick legs and a butt as flat as a freakin' pancake! Toned is nice but women are supposed to have some curves!

Aug 07 06 09:56 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Katy Goldapple wrote:
Whatever happened to having hips, thighs, and a butt? A lot of celebrities and models in men's mags have stick legs and a butt as flat as a freakin' pancake! Toned is nice but women are supposed to have some curves!

In the ethnic magazines curves are a must

Aug 07 06 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

GregBrown

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I worked on a shoot for Source magazine with Ludacris (check my portfolio #127026)  We used one thin model, and 2 um...more "well rounded" ladies....The art director kept emphasizing their readers liked "fuller" women...The work is out there...perhaps you're not looking in enough places..There's a market for EVERYTHING, you just have to find it -or CREATE it.  If the work is good, it will go.

Aug 07 06 10:19 pm Link